Anyone get back into Joes over the 25th line? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Anyone get back into Joes over the 25th line?

gotproblems
10-11-2007, 10:29 PM
The first GI Joe I bought was the series 1 Snake Eyes. It must have been in 1982 because they just hit the shelves. I bought it at Gemco in Bellflower, CA for under $2.

For the next 8 years GI Joe was all I ever wanted. I probably had 90% of the toys made in that time. In fact, looking through the archives, there are only about 4 things I can positively say I didn't have. I used to have a fishing tackle box that I'd carry my army around in. I had an eyeglasses screwdriver in the bottom with all of the weapons and pieces that I'd taken apart to customize the figures that were in my army at that time.

Then, in 1990 I started High School, my best friend moved away, and my Joes found their way into that dusty graveyard in a box in the garage (my Dads house is 2000 miles away, but the next time I visit, I'm going to tear that garage apart and bring them home). Plus, I think it was easy to walk away from them because the line was heading in an odd direction (a lot of flourescent colors, squirt guns, etc.).

Anyway, about a month ago I was walking through Walmart when I saw the 25th Storm Shadow. It was the most nostalgic feeling I've ever had. I think it was the packaging that did it. The only thing missing was the flag points and the "coming soon" explosions.

Since then I've been lucky enough to find all of the first 3 waves, a few extra cobra officers, and 3 Cobra Legions boxes. In a month I've spent almost $200 on this line, and my only regret is that the stores don't stock them more frequently, because I'd happily buy them if they did. I've also found myself scouring ebay for some of the older figures I used to have (I've been outbid on Zartan 5 times so far!). I know it sounds silly, but I think I've been a happier person since I got back into them.

I'm just wondering if there's anyone else that got back into Joes over the 25th line.

slim19722
10-11-2007, 10:45 PM
I have. All my childhood Joes and SW fig's were long gone. When SW relaunched in 95, I was all over the line up to the current line and recently started collecting the vintage SW fig's, as well. With Joes, I got back into them when they started releasing the collector series. But that line was crappy cuz of the plastic they used, so I only got my favorite characters SE & SS and that went through the JvsC, Spytroops, VvsV, lines. But with the 25th line, I'm getting all of'em and now I search e-bay looking for the figs I had as a kid, starting to collect the vintage Joes, thanks to the relaunch of the 25th line.

Derek2783
10-11-2007, 11:06 PM
ditto for me =)

gotproblems
10-11-2007, 11:16 PM
I have. All my childhood Joes and SW fig's were long gone. When SW relaunched in 95, I was all over the line up to the current line and recently started collecting the vintage SW fig's, as well. With Joes, I got back into them when they started releasing the collector series. But that line was crappy cuz of the plastic they used, so I only got my favorite characters SE & SS and that went through the JvsC, Spytroops, VvsV, lines. But with the 25th line, I'm getting all of'em and now I search e-bay looking for the figs I had as a kid, starting to collect the vintage Joes, thanks to the relaunch of the 25th line.

I dabbled in the SW line also. I got all of the VOTC series, but they were $9.99 each, and that was (according to Hasbro) because it takes more resources to add a lot of articulation to a figure. The funny thing is, the 25th GI Joe line is just as articulated, but sell at Walmart for $4.99. The only thing I can think is that the royalties paid to Lucas must be pretty damn high.

phillinley
10-11-2007, 11:22 PM
I dabbled in the SW line also. I got all of the VOTC series, but they were $9.99 each, and that was (according to Hasbro) because it takes more resources to add a lot of articulation to a figure. The funny thing is, the 25th GI Joe line is just as articulated, but sell at Walmart for $4.99. The only thing I can think is that the royalties paid to Lucas must be pretty damn high.

I always thought that VOTC line was the biggest ripoff.

slim19722
10-11-2007, 11:27 PM

And Hasbro said the vintage packaging was another reason. But the Joe's use vintage style packaging as well, and the price is still cheaper. VOTC Boba Fett, is now 3 bucks cheaper cuz he's packaged on a Saga Legends card. Royalties are high. Hope the Joes won't have this issue.

Taichiro
10-11-2007, 11:59 PM
Boba Fett sucks, so I'm not surprised.

anyway, No, I didn't get back into Joes with the 25th line, I've collected off and on as the whim struck me.

I really need to get motivated with my vintage stuff, and get it completed.

TheReverend
10-12-2007, 12:03 AM
I was really starting to get out of Joes, kind of loosing interest. But the 25th revived my interest big time, god I love these 25th figures.

Although I think I’m going to focus on 25th and keep cutting down my vintage collection…

I just prefer the 25th’s, if they release all or most of my fav figs (which I so hope is goign to happen) – I imagine I will then clear out my vintage collection all together - except for some of the high end extra rare stuff...

;)

AlternateUniverse Steeler
10-12-2007, 12:19 AM
i was only ever out from 90-91. I was slowed since the dtc died but still collecting old. this rekindled my childhood. just seeing these pegged is amazing.

InfiniteJest
10-12-2007, 01:45 AM
Yea, the 25th's sucked me in. Never really collected anything before but when I saw them I had to have them all.

I've still got a ton of Joes from my childhood, but I don't really plan on going back and collecting any of those. I have started to feel the temptation to pick up a few of the 8 inchers to see what they're like. Mainly, because the 25th pegs are always empty and there's nothing else to look at other than the sigma 6 stuff.

YELSEW
10-12-2007, 02:30 AM
[QUOTE=gotproblems] I know it sounds silly, but I think I've been a happier person since I got back into them.

QUOTE]

You might be happier now, but wait until you start racking up 1000's of dollars in figures and scraping around for money or getting a second job to support your hobby! No really, I hope this is what collecting does to people, make them happy. When it doesn't make me happy any more, I will quit.

Zombie F-Body
10-12-2007, 04:08 AM
Yup!

A few years ago a ROTS Darth Vader got me back into toys after a 15 year break. 2002 MOTU (late to the party, but jumped in none-the-less), SA Star Wars figures, actually articulated Classics and Masterpiece Transformers, it seemed that all my friends were back and better than ever. Joe was a big part of my life from 85 to 93 and I was really happy to see them again. I pretty much just collect the revival lines that are all new toys but are based on the classic look and designs of the toys of old. With the new Indiana Jones figures this winter and the NECA TMNT stuff coming out (the Playmates stuff doesn't really appeal to me and these will go well with my comic stuff), I think I will officially be collecting all the lines I did as a youth!

Ben Grimm
10-12-2007, 09:35 AM
Yeah, definitely. This is at least the third time I've gotten back into GI Joe - the first time was when the Hall of Fame line started, the second was the 1997 TRU reissues, and now the 25th anniversary.

Erick
10-12-2007, 09:39 AM
Some of my friends got back into joes over the 25th line, and naturally they got interested in all the old stuff too. They've been digging around their houses trying to find their old joes :D (like we all did....)

GerjurdKing
10-12-2007, 11:21 AM
The 25th line definitely sucked me back in. I have always wanted to collect my childhood favourites but I wasn't willing to pay ebay prices to do so. With this line I can collect an excellent representation of what I had so much fun playing with as a child. I like the idea of bringing back vehicles but since I have no desire to open the packages I'm not sure if I will collect them (unless of course they have the same awesome box art that the originals had...).

heikks86
10-12-2007, 02:56 PM
Yeah the 25th figures got me buying them again. When i worked at wal-mart i was walking through the toy aisles on my break like i always did when it was hot out. And then i saw 4 gi joes Flint, Snake Eyes, Storm Shadow and Cobra Officer. I had no money so my girlfriend met me for lunch and bought them for me. Then about 2 weeks later b4 my shift started at 7 am i looked to see if they had Cobra Commander and they did and so far i have gotten just about every figure since i have had time since i got fired from wal-mart

kennywr22
10-12-2007, 04:16 PM
Yes i am back into the joes which i missed so much. I was a addict for the joes from about 84 through 88 and had almost everything. I played with till they were loose as ****. When i got a little older i ended up selling them all to a comic book store because i needed cash for my first apartment. When i saw these new 25th joes i almost cried with joy. Sounds pretty corny but i'm in heaven with these. i have all of them so far. One set to keep in the package and ones to display. Well in the case of the officers and soldiers i have about 5 of each. Never was able to army build as a kid. I pray they keep this line going for years. I want vipers, dusty, eels, hydro vipers, and so on. I would even like a figure of skullbuster. Not sure when he came around but i have him in the card game and he looks awesome. Please hasbro keep on going.Please!!

Beach Head curses
10-12-2007, 04:18 PM
25A got me back into Joes. I collected them up until around '92, stopped are 7th grade. I also had collected a bunch of other stuff and always had loved action figures when I was a kid. In 2000, my girlfriend bought me a Playmates Homer Simpson figure that rekindled my love of toys. I collected that whole line and then any random toy that caught my interest. When I got wind of the 25A I thought I'd pick up a few of my old favorites because they looked cool. But when I got Flint and Cobra Commander in my hands I became hooked and now I have to have them all! I've even bought 4 Cobra Officers and I've never army built or bought duplicates of any toy in my life.

ceraurus
10-12-2007, 05:13 PM
Yes, the 25th line brought me back to collecting joes as well. I first saw the snake eyes and storm shadow from wave 1 and grabbed them right up. It's really no surprise that I've gotten into collecting them since I already loved going to look at toys with my kids (and buying them plenty) and gi joe was always my favorite. I really only bought them as a kid from 82-84 starting when I was 9. I played with them for a few more years after that, and then gave the OK for my parents to give them away a few years later. I still have the first 40 or 50 comics sealed up in bags in my parents house, but I haven't looked at them for quite some time.

Wyo
10-12-2007, 06:11 PM
Yup, they got me back too. I first started collecting vintage joes in 97 and 98. I sold almost everything I had in 2003 when I decided to go back to college. Now, Im collecting the 25th line and getting all the vintage stuff back that I sold. This new series is awesome!(or, it will be as soon as I can find it!) It got my brother back into collecting as well. He stopped around the same time I did for the same reasons.

BaronessMoonstar
10-12-2007, 07:51 PM
*hee* The funny thing is being a girl fan,it helped me remember how much I loved watching the old 80's cartoon, and then how much I always wanted a hooded Cobra Commander ;). So I am very happy the 25th toy line was around to help my foggy memory, since the line is a whole year older than me....

shmoomonkey
10-12-2007, 07:52 PM
... a Ranger buddy of mine who shall remain nameless to preserve his 'masculinity,' once bragged about having most of the original line. I sort of let slip about the 25th line, and KABOOM! he's hooked. I sat back and laughed triumphantly.

Don't fight the YoJoe, Josh. Just let it happen. You know you love it...

GUNNY
10-12-2007, 08:17 PM
Yeah I'm back into Joe collecting because of the 25th. Never sold my old stuff so I consider it *picking up where I left off* and such. Nostalgia is like that for me :)

Commander Hawk
11-10-2007, 08:06 AM
Yep.

I was in a Wal-Mart late one night about a month ago or so and I walked by the toy aisle to check on the wrestling legends figures (which I never buy, I just look at) and then to my surprise sitting on pegs right next to the wrestling stuff was G.I. Joe! and it was in it's familiar 80's packaging again! I went nuts so to speak and I was so excited I was talking to myself (I'm sure I looked like an idiot to anybody passing by, but oh well lol).

Anyway, I bought 3 figures on the spot with what little money I had on me at the time. I picked up Beach Head, Cobra Commander, and Snake Eyes. But that wasn't enough for me......

Thanks to the 25th anniversary line, my love for G.I. Joe has been totally reignited with unabashed childlike fervor. :P About 6 or 7 years ago I lost about 90% of my collection (mostly vehicles) in an accident. Seeing the 25th figs on the pegs has inspired me to try and re-build my childhood collection. Just in the last couple weeks I've spent nearly 400 dollars on ebay and I now have back a lot of my cherished collection again. I'm especially happy to have my H.A.V.O.C. back and my Transportable Tactical Battle Platform.

So to summarize, lol....yes, the 25th line is the reason I'm now trying to re-buy all of my childhood G.I. Joe toys I lost. And I'm reeeeally happy to have a lot of my old collection sitting here next to me again after all these years. It's so great.

therobidentity
11-10-2007, 02:18 PM
I missed out on picking up the figures at Comic-Con, but my brother brought home both five packs, and I was pretty excited about it once I saw them. That's probably what prompted me to pull out my '90s Hall of Fame 12"-ers and display them.

In the same box was my only surviving 3 3/4" figure from my original collection, Repeater, who was missing the weapon mount. At the time, 25th figures were still very rare, so I started collecting again... Repeater is now complete w/o card (and has a twin), I found my v3 Zartan / Shadow Viper, outbid someone on v1 Zartan three times :D (Frankensteined to 100%, 25%, 25% with 1.9 Chameleons & 1.5 crates), and finally picked up a Tiger Paw locally that needs cleaning and new decals.

By now I've found most of the 25th line; all three five-packs, and all of the cards except Serpentor whom I am not collecting, and Red Ninja which I may pick up if I see, but I'll probably just wait for the fiver.

Right now, I've got my 12"-ers set up as Duke with the original weapon next to the display base and an M-16/203 at low-ready, Flint w/ original weapon next to the display and shotgun at low-ready, Snake-Eyes & Storm Shadow back to back w/ katanas & Uzi, and I "mirror" the poses on the 25th figs underneath (except Flint, who has his arm around his special lady). I can't wait for Rock N' Roll's 25th release, so I can display it with my 12" one... after that, all I need is Heavy Duty, since that's the only other 12" figure I have.

So... in a nutshell, yes. :D

Desert Fox
11-10-2007, 09:52 PM
Yep. I was born in 1980, and I didn't really start getting them until I was around 6 or 7, so I never had the first several waves. Eventually I stopped collecting them sometime in high school, but these have brought me back. Not only do I get to have figures of some characters I never owned, but these rekindle an affection for a series I used to love.