Would you buy this 25th 5 pack set? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Would you buy this 25th 5 pack set?

Bermuda Mohawk
10-16-2007, 11:43 PM
It was recorded somewhere that the Joe team Hasbro reps said they had no plans to do any of the special forces sets. Is it an fan interest thing that keeps the team from planning such a release, or maybe something on the retail store level? I found the Cobra Leigions redeco set to be only so-so. Great for the Stnger Driver, Air Trooper and normal Trooper. But the tired out black Commander redeco and the very unappealing Storm Shadow let me down. Seeing as how Tiger Force is my favorite subset of any in G.I.Joe, I was curious if others would buy a set that was comprised of the following lot?

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b261/bermudamohawk/25thtforce.jpg

GBPackRat
10-16-2007, 11:46 PM
Yes,

Yes I would buy it!

Tanner

Derek2783
10-17-2007, 12:21 AM
HECK yes! .

Erick
10-17-2007, 12:36 AM
Of course !!!

modeling_man
10-17-2007, 12:37 AM
I might be in the minority but IMO Tiger Force was GI JOE's worst release ever.
I mean ORANGE jets?!? How is that camoflauge?

I'd prefer they just release more redesigned figures, or heck new ones.
I'd rather see a "Women of GI Joe" 5pck or a "Cobra LA 5pack" where Nemesis Enforcer doesn't have retarded wings, and PYTHONA:)
B

Dean
10-17-2007, 01:31 AM
Yea, but I wouldn't open the box, they would look better in their packaging.

YELSEW
10-17-2007, 01:32 AM
Yes, I would buy it.

Random
10-17-2007, 01:38 AM
I'd buy 2.

TheReverend
10-17-2007, 03:03 AM
Never was a big fan of tiger Force, so no... I don't think I would buy it.

I’d much rather have more unique characters made in the line, before we start getting even more repaints.

AlternateUniverse Steeler
10-17-2007, 03:10 AM
I'd rather see them carded

karamazov80
10-17-2007, 08:52 AM
I like the wacky colors. . .sure, I would buy it if I found one at Target.

Chris L
10-17-2007, 08:56 AM
I'm not buying anything with Duke or Flint in it until Hasbro fixes them, but the set looks cool.

Syna3sthesia
10-17-2007, 09:00 AM
I would definately buy it. But a Night Force theme would be so much better!

Red Sox
10-17-2007, 09:27 AM
I'm not a big fan of Tiger Force or Python Patrol. The colors were hideous for the most part and the unexplained and unneccessary changes of hair colors (Duke & Frostbite for example) really bothered me too.

CobraGang
10-17-2007, 09:38 AM
I'd rather see them carded

Co-sign. $$$

code red shockwave
10-17-2007, 10:20 AM
Yes, but i'd rather see Night Force done in the older 1988/1989 style, not the newer style.

mizak23
10-17-2007, 10:26 AM
I would buy two, since Tiger Force is my favorite subset.

stad
10-17-2007, 10:33 AM
I'm not a big fan of Tiger Force or Python Patrol. The colors were hideous for the most part and the unexplained and unneccessary changes of hair colors (Duke & Frostbite for example) really bothered me too.

I like the PP, but otherwise agree with this. I'd rather not see/buy it, because Tiger Force was just plain silly. Not downright stupid, like some of the other subsets, but still rather silly. I'd much rather see Night Force, or something new that made sense. Python Patrol at least had an explanation for it, but I don't remember really hearing any good reason for Tiger Force.

Erick
10-17-2007, 10:44 AM
I'd rather see a "Women of GI Joe" 5pck or a "Cobra LA 5pack" where Nemesis Enforcer doesn't have retarded wings, and PYTHONA:)
B

I agree, I'll definitely buy one of those before a TF pack.

cobraferret
10-17-2007, 10:45 AM
Never a fan of tiger force either.
It's kinda funny that people complain about snake eyes and storm shadow being overdone,but tiger force is nothing more than repaints also.They just did a tiger force pack not that long ago.

Jay West
10-17-2007, 11:59 AM
I am all for it b/c I know several people love TF. Personally, I would rather see new characters or complete redesigns for these characters. It could go either way for me. I might get it or I might not.

statesofeuphoria
10-17-2007, 12:08 PM
No. I wasn't a fan of the figures and I think the vehicles look stupid. I would rather have new figures before they go repaint crazy on subsets.

gaelinic
You know, that's an unfair question. I feel almost compelled to buy anything Joe as long as it doesn't look completely ridiculous. While the color selection is questionable, it doesn't qualify as ridiculous to me. So yes, I would buy it if on the shelves.

However, I would rather have other 5-packs like Ninjas, Women, Pilots, Cobra Troopers, Commanders (both Joe and Cobra), Allies (such as Oktober Guard or anyone else), etc. So, I think a better poll questions is would rather have this set or (insert your other thing here).

It was recorded somewhere that the Joe team Hasbro reps said they had no plans to do any of the special forces sets. Is it an fan interest thing that keeps the team from planning such a release, or maybe something on the retail store level? I found the Cobra Leigions redeco set to be only so-so. Great for the Stnger Driver, Air Trooper and normal Trooper. But the tired out black Commander redeco and the very unappealing Storm Shadow let me down. Seeing as how Tiger Force is my favorite subset of any in G.I.Joe, I was curious if others would buy a set that was comprised of the following lot?

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b261/bermudamohawk/25thtforce.jpg

29thLetsGoJoe
I might be in the minority but IMO Tiger Force was GI JOE's worst release ever.
I mean ORANGE jets?!? How is that camoflauge?

I'd prefer they just release more redesigned figures, or heck new ones.
B

That's easy, They are for cobra interdiction in Florida during the Orange harvest.

Cobraviper72
10-17-2007, 12:22 PM
No, But, I would be interested in a Python Patrol version for Cobra.

Chris L
10-17-2007, 12:52 PM
I still say the all time highest seller 5 pack would be:

The cobra "trooper" 5 pack
1) Crimson Guard
2) Regular Viper
3) Tele-Viper
4) Regular Cobra Officer
5) Regular Cobra Infantry

Then follow it up with the cobra "Specialty" 5 pack
1) Cobra Eel
2) Cobra Snow Serpent
3) Cobra Alley Viper
4) Cobra BAT
5) Cobra CLAWS

cobraferret
10-17-2007, 01:24 PM
I still say the all time highest seller 5 pack would be:

The cobra "trooper" 5 pack
1) Crimson Guard
2) Regular Viper
3) Tele-Viper
4) Regular Cobra Officer
5) Regular Cobra Infantry

Then follow it up with the cobra "Specialty" 5 pack
1) Cobra Eel
2) Cobra Snow Serpent
3) Cobra Alley Viper
4) Cobra BAT
5) Cobra CLAWS
I like the idea,but I would like them to be released on a single card v1 of each of those figures.I am not really into this 5-pack thing they got going on.

Dreadnok4life
10-17-2007, 02:10 PM
Honestly I will buy anything in the 25th line. Including this Tiger Force mock-up. However I never really liked the idea of subset groups so I wouldn't be thrilled. I would rather they release other characters, not repaints, in the 253th anniversary type mold.

rnrhero
10-17-2007, 02:23 PM
What really suprised me was how the Tiger Force camo and Python Patrol Camo worked in the big Jungle DIO at the Con this year. It actually blended in very well and hid the figures. I have a new appeal towards these sub sets now that I have not had in a while. After seeing that dio I went to the sales floor and bought some Tiger Force stuff that I had not had.

Katzenbogen
10-17-2007, 02:37 PM
I LOATHE the 5-packs. LOATHE. I would buy some of those figures in singles, but definitely not as a 5-pack. And I know they might not even make him at all, but in order to get me to buy it, they'd have to make an Tiger Force Outback. Then, if there were no other way for me to get these figures, I'd do it. But I still hate five packs. I havent even bought the ones that are out now in protest.

Jay West
10-17-2007, 03:53 PM
I LOATHEthe 5-packs. LOATHE. I would buy some of those figures in singles, but definitely not as a 5-pack. And I know they might not even make him at all, but in order to get me to buy it, they'd have to make an Tiger Force Outback. Then, if there were no other way for me to get these figures, I'd do it. But I still hate five packs. I havent even bought the ones that are out now in protest.

Strong feelings. Why do you hate them if you don't mind me asking.

Jay West
10-17-2007, 03:58 PM
You know, that's an unfair question. I feel almost compelled to buy anything Joe as long as it doesn't look completely ridiculous. While the color selection is questionable, it doesn't qualify as ridiculous to me. So yes, I would buy it if on the shelves.

However, I would rather have other 5-packs like Ninjas, Women, Pilots, Cobra Troopers, Commanders (both Joe and Cobra), Allies (such as Oktober Guard or anyone else), etc. So, I think a better poll questions is would rather have this set or (insert your other thing here).

I agree completly. If it was the last or the only product available I would buy it. But I would much rather have any of the sets gaelinic mentioned. I would love to have a "New Recruits" 5 pack that wouldn't be new characters but new to having a 3 3/4 figure. Examples being Lob, Lt Stone, Billy, Lockdown, Mangler, Cool Breeze, Gen Rey, Mariner, Mayday, Firewall etc. I think this would be a great way to introduce several figures fans have been asking for...or if you gave a Tiger Force that included a couple of new characters like the ones I mentioned above I might be very tempted to buy.

Bermuda Mohawk
10-17-2007, 04:11 PM
Thanks to all that voted and replied. It was really interesting to read everybodies thoughts on the subject. I was gonna add a third option asking if the set was comprised of "new" Tiger Force members would that make any difference? I love Tiger Force for some of the very reasons it seems some hate it. It's so absurd really. Blizzard alone is just a total riot.

But I love me some Tiger Force in any form I can get them. It would seem that there is a good even split between those who would and would not buy it, so that gives me an idea of one reason Hasbro wouldn't take on such a set. If you can't get the whole of the fanbase to even buy it, then what luck would you have getting the average collector to pick one up? Glad I've gotten extras of these figures to customize now. ;)

therobidentity
10-17-2007, 05:41 PM
IMO, the only decent looking figs in there are Duke and Flint; the others just seem garish.

I -do- like Tiger Force though, because I like the concept of GI Joe recovering Cobra vehicles, repainting them, and using them against them. The repaints on the vehicles were pretty cool too, IMO. I loved the Tiger Paw.

I wasn't happy with the brown hair on TF Duke, but the year it was released I had just come off GI Joe restriction, and badly wanted a Duke figure, so I was pretty happy to get it regardless.

On the whole though, I really like the 5-packs. You save about two bucks a figure, and they're easier to find than single-cards. I was pretty sure I wasn't going to get the Cobra Legions until I saw it, and it's actually a pretty good set. I'm iffy on the SS repaint, but I like CC in black (not to mention that his weapon fits his back better and his helmet isn't as loose as my blue one), and I underestimated the Air Trooper. I figured it was lame, but it surprised me. Possibly the best figure in the set... removable jetpack, tethered laser, but best of all the removable helmet with a standard officer helmet and rifle.

Jay West
10-17-2007, 05:55 PM
Thanks to all that voted and replied. It was really interesting to read everybodies thoughts on the subject. I was gonna add a third option asking if the set was comprised of "new" Tiger Force members would that make any difference? I love Tiger Force for some of the very reasons it seems some hate it. It's so absurd really. Blizzard alone is just a total riot.

But I love me some Tiger Force in any form I can get them. It would seem that there is a good even split between those who would and would not buy it, so that gives me an idea of one reason Hasbro wouldn't take on such a set. If you can't get the whole of the fanbase to even buy it, then what luck would you have getting the average collector to pick one up? Glad I've gotten extras of these figures to customize now. ;)

No problem. I am a bit biased in that I really want new characters and old characters who haven't yet gotten the 25th treatment to be produced. You give me a TF Duke, Flint, Jinx, Outback and Lifeline I'm all over it. I'll take two repaints to get 3 new figures.

Zombie F-Body
10-17-2007, 06:54 PM
In a heartbeat. Troop builder sets and special forces packs should be the future of box sets for this line, but I think Hasbro is scared to not through in a Snake Eyes or Storm Shadow, so I'm sure if they did this we'd see a Python Patrol Storm Shadow, Cobra Commander or a Tiger Force Snake Eyes.

Katzenbogen
10-17-2007, 07:00 PM
Why do I hate 5-packs so much? Well, I guess there are a few reasons. I should say that I really hate any multi-pack assortments. G.I. Joe is about nostalgia for me. I remember getting joes when I was a young lad and they were sold on single cards, almost entirely (night force comes to mind as an exception). I like the 25th line because they're based on the designs of the original figures and the packaging is almost the same as the old ones.

I like being able to pick and choose what figures I want, when I want them, and with five packs the figure assortment is out of the buyer's control and you have to buy them all at once. As an example of why they frustrate me, the new cobra legions set features the stinger driver. It's the only figure in the set I have any remote interest in, but I'm not going to end up owning it because it would be spending $25 for one figure I want and in my mind four garbage figures. I don't want a loose one. I want one carded on its own, or sold with a stinger attack jeep. Even if I wanted the other four figures, why is it someone else's job to decide that I should have to buy them all at once rather than in smaller bunches if I choose OR in a $25 bundle that includes only some of the five with a couple of other figures that I'd happen to come across? I can understand the thinking, or marketing strategy if you will, behind releasing the first two 5-packs the way they did, but to me, as an individual, it's dumb. If they were worried initially that 5-packs would ensure larger chunks of profit at a time due to there being five desirable figures in one unit rather than risk people being choosey and not getting them all, I think the immense popularity of this line has eliminated the need for any such safeguard.

I like the artwork on the cards, and even though the five packs feature some of the artwork from the original cards, it looks like a mess to me. I love the way the figures display MOC on their own. The boxes are just junk to me, and you have to open them to see the figures. And how bout this...I pick up the five pack in the store, and I just simply hate it, all other reason aside. I want single figures. They're better. Hands down.

Let me ask this question--if the five packs had never been, and all ten of the figures released were single carded from the start, do you think we'd have the problems we do of people stealing the cobra soldiers out of them and leaving the mangled remains of the box on the shelf? The 5-pack item itself becomes worthless and no one's going to buy it because it's incomplete and vandalized. If those figures had been single carded from the start, either people would just buy the cobras individually or steal them individually without harming destro or his precious baroness or cobra commander or that other dumb guy dressed in white. Maybe we'd still have stolen figures, but i think people are stealing them because they want to army build but dont want to pay $25 a pop to do it while having piles of doubles cobra commanders on the side going to waste. It's not so much a fault of 5-packs in general as it is an example of the figure assortment being poorly handled by the hasbro execs in charge; a problem that would never have happened were it not for 5-packs.

IDK. Maybe that doesn't do it justice, but I just hate five packs. Gimme single carded figures, man.

p.s.- I hope this doesnt sound angry. It's just my calm opinion, and it happens to all be negative.

Jay West
10-18-2007, 07:58 AM
Why do I hate 5-packs so much? Well, I guess there are a few reasons. I should say that I really hate any multi-pack assortments. G.I. Joe is about nostalgia for me. I remember getting joes when I was a young lad and they were sold on single cards, almost entirely (night force comes to mind as an exception). I like the 25th line because they're based on the designs of the original figures and the packaging is almost the same as the old ones.

I like being able to pick and choose what figures I want, when I want them, and with five packs the figure assortment is out of the buyer's control and you have to buy them all at once. As an example of why they frustrate me, the new cobra legions set features the stinger driver. It's the only figure in the set I have any remote interest in, but I'm not going to end up owning it because it would be spending $25 for one figure I want and in my mind four garbage figures. I don't want a loose one. I want one carded on its own, or sold with a stinger attack jeep. Even if I wanted the other four figures, why is it someone else's job to decide that I should have to buy them all at once rather than in smaller bunches if I choose OR in a $25 bundle that includes only some of the five with a couple of other figures that I'd happen to come across? I can understand the thinking, or marketing strategy if you will, behind releasing the first two 5-packs the way they did, but to me, as an individual, it's dumb. If they were worried initially that 5-packs would ensure larger chunks of profit at a time due to there being five desirable figures in one unit rather than risk people being choosey and not getting them all, I think the immense popularity of this line has eliminated the need for any such safeguard.

I like the artwork on the cards, and even though the five packs feature some of the artwork from the original cards, it looks like a mess to me. I love the way the figures display MOC on their own. The boxes are just junk to me, and you have to open them to see the figures. And how bout this...I pick up the five pack in the store, and I just simply hate it, all other reason aside. I want single figures. They're better. Hands down.

Let me ask this question--if the five packs had never been, and all ten of the figures released were single carded from the start, do you think we'd have the problems we do of people stealing the cobra soldiers out of them and leaving the mangled remains of the box on the shelf? The 5-pack item itself becomes worthless and no one's going to buy it because it's incomplete and vandalized. If those figures had been single carded from the start, either people would just buy the cobras individually or steal them individually without harming destro or his precious baroness or cobra commander or that other dumb guy dressed in white. Maybe we'd still have stolen figures, but i think people are stealing them because they want to army build but dont want to pay $25 a pop to do it while having piles of doubles cobra commanders on the side going to waste. It's not so much a fault of 5-packs in general as it is an example of the figure assortment being poorly handled by the hasbro execs in charge; a problem that would never have happened were it not for 5-packs.

IDK. Maybe that doesn't do it justice, but I just hate five packs. Gimme single carded figures, man.

p.s.- I hope this doesnt sound angry. It's just my calm opinion, and it happens to all be negative.

No it is cool. I just wondered. I prefer singles, too, but the five packs don't bother me. I look at it this way. If there are at least 3 figures I want then I get the pack. The one's I don't want I trade, ebay or give my daughter (you know you get a whole new perspective when Snake eyes is having lunch in a doll house with The Loving Family dolls). I don't really care how I get the figures, but I agree singles are easier.

gijoe071681
10-18-2007, 08:38 AM
yeah i'd buy it minus the shipwreck though (never really liked him)

BMC
10-18-2007, 10:04 AM
i would buy them but i woud expect some changes like not tiger force frostbite or 1 joe spanning 2 or 3 subteams. like duke or beach head
or bring out a nonproduced figures for these sets like recondo has yet a 25th fig. wreckage jinx ect.

MWG
10-18-2007, 10:48 AM
Actually, I would buy that. I never had any of the original Tiger Force series, so Anniversary Duke, Flint and Roadblock TF versions would be cool. Not so sure about Shipwreck in a yellow striped shirt (it does have possibilities for night clubs tho), but I do hope we see that white shirt Shipwreck from the card deck. 25th Gung-Ho in dark brown (minus the light blue highlights) like the 1997 version would be a cool substitute.

Howabout a "Joe First Strike" 5-pack consisting of:
1. Grunt (tan glider pilot uniform)
2. Zap with or without moustache
3. Breaker with or without beard (could also be in tan if the rumored Rock N Roll v.1 happens on a single pack)
4. Short-Fuze
5. Clutch in tan or green if they could make the webgear work. If not, Grand Slam in silver & red pads.

That would help fill out the 1982 team pretty nicely.

As for Cobra troop five-packs, I'd rather see two-packs like Viper/Cobra Trooper and Crimson Guard/Cobra Officer, and then straight up Python Patrol recolors. Because I don't really need near as many CGs and Officers as Vipers and Troopers.

+-MWG-+

therobidentity
10-18-2007, 02:43 PM
The one's I don't want I trade, ebay or give my daughter (you know you get a whole new perspective when Snake eyes is having lunch in a doll house with The Loving Family dolls).

A. You sir, are an awesome father, just based on this. :)

B. I love that juxtaposition. So much potential.... Reminds me of something ToyFaire or Robot Chicken would do. Priceless. :D

Bermuda Mohawk
10-18-2007, 02:52 PM
i would buy them but i woud expect some changes like not tiger force frostbite or 1 joe spanning 2 or 3 subteams. like duke or beach head
or bring out a nonproduced figures for these sets like recondo has yet a 25th fig. wreckage jinx ect.

I had done up a Wreckage too, didn't like the outcome, and with Beach Head already in there, dropped him:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b261/bermudamohawk/25thtforcewreak.jpg

And I'd love to see new figures in the giftpacks, but don't see Hasbro spending money on tooling for store exclusives, which is what these special packs would probably ultimately end up being.