Upcoming Comic Packs, yay or nay? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Upcoming Comic Packs, yay or nay?

Bermuda Mohawk
10-19-2007, 12:05 AM
So with the upcoming comics pack being what boils down to rehashed versions of the comic packs from the previous years in some ways, what do people think? We are getting issues 1, 21 and 24 again. Some of the figures are the exact same style as the prior releases. Comic color Duke, in the same bright colors, Scarlet in similar colors. An almost unchanged Storn Shadow from his what will be two releases (5pack/single card). I will buy them, but only because I want Doc so very badly. I really loathe this first wave however. Aside from Hawk, there's nothing about it I really look foward to. All the extras will become custom fodder.

So I was wondering what could have been done instead of the comic packs (again). Revisiting the Ultimate Enemies 2 pack theme could be very cool. Set up two recolors of figures that have alternate character color schemes, create a backer card bio and some art and I'd be in Heaven. I loved the Ultimate Enemies thing they when did it in the 80's, even though I thought Muskrat vs. Voltar was a tad strange. The idea itself was cool.

I came up with alot of choices that can be done, Quarrel vs. Red Laser:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b261/bermudamohawk/25thultenuk.jpg

...or Glenda vs. Cobra De Aco:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b261/bermudamohawk/25thultensa.jpg

Of the molds available for use that have recolors of any significance, you can get the UK Action Force Hunter (http://www.yojoe.com/action/int/hunter.shtml), or Gaucho (http://www.yojoe.com/action/int/gaucho.shtml), Argentina's Cobra Mortal (http://www.yojoe.com/action/int/arg-cobramortal.shtml), Ninja-ku (http://www.yojoe.com/action/int/argblackcobra.shtml), Redmack (http://www.yojoe.com/action/int/arg-redmack.shtml), or Manleh (http://www.yojoe.com/action/int/arg-manleh.shtml) among others. I guess I'd just really like to see something different done if we're gonna be buying the same molds again.

seaslug
10-19-2007, 12:30 AM
I agree 100%. I would love to see the figures most can't afford made in these new sculpts. It's perfect... no one who paid big cash for figures like these looses there investment. Some of the foreign stuff ids really cool.

The Mad Bubbler
10-19-2007, 12:48 AM
Those would be very cool. They could do something with their file cards to work those characters into the mainstream Joe mythos. I think they'd be more likely to be produced if we had one more well-known character packed with an international character, otherwise we'd probably see them as exclusives or something, which would still be cool.

DPrime
10-19-2007, 05:35 AM
Yep, those would be great.

Someone brought up international figures at the Con and the Hasbro people looked a little dumbfounded, actually. They didn't know who Invasor was, when it was brought up, and to tell you the truth it was kind of embarassing. They also said they weren't planning any Tiger Force stuff.

Doesn't really make any sense, considering how much they seem to like repaints. These are ways they could do it appropriately, they should look into it.

samluvsjoes
10-19-2007, 06:43 AM
Those are pretty cool ideas. I keep wondering about the reuse of those issues. Does Hasbro only have access to certain Marvel Comics to reprint?
Sam

CGC
10-19-2007, 08:06 AM
I'd definitely buy them if they looked anything like your pics. Nice work!

Jay West
10-19-2007, 08:38 AM
Those would be very cool. They could do something with their file cards to work those characters into the mainstream Joe mythos. I think they'd be more likely to be produced if we had one more well-known character packed with an international character, otherwise we'd probably see them as exclusives or something, which would still be cool.

I agree 100%. I would much rather get my 100th version of Duke if it came with a Cobra Mortal or a Red Shadow. I'd buy a second Zartan if it came with a Lt. Stone. Sign me up for another version of Scarlett if I can get a Pythona packaged with her. Each of these non traditional Joe characters can have file card tweaks to fit them into RAH continuity. Worried about Pythona fitting in? Make her an assasian from a centuries old cult.

Hasbro has two real markets: Kids and the crazy fan boys like us. We would be all over these obscure characters b/c we know the history. Kids would just see a cool figure. Seems win win.

flywheels
10-19-2007, 09:15 AM
Personally, I'd love to have Quarrel in the 25th Ann. construction.

I too will buy the comic packs (multiples probably) for the Doc figure alone, but I'm all that excited about the choices so far.

Erick
10-19-2007, 09:41 AM
I'd buy those too, and multiples of De Aco for sure...

quintonarledge
10-19-2007, 09:56 AM
I know a lot of collectors hate re-paints, but I'd love to see the following that they could make:

Tiger Force Duke, Roadblock, Flint and BeachHead (like the '04 Convention one)

Scarlett --> Quarrell

Python Patrol Officer, Trooper and Crimson Guard

FireFox91
10-19-2007, 09:57 AM
Someone brought up international figures at the Con and the Hasbro people looked a little dumbfounded, actually. They didn't know who Invasor was, when it was brought up, and to tell you the truth it was kind of embarassing.

I'm not so sure it was the fact that they didn't know who Invasor was. They were in the middle of presenting new product for next year (Snake Eyes/Red Ninja 5-pack) when someone blurted out "Put a silver Cobra logo on it!" refering to Snake Eyes. Hasbro aside, I thought this was incredibly rude to blurt this out in the middle of the presentation. Their response of "Why would we want to do that?" could have partially been because they don't know the character but it also could have been because it just didn't make any sense to do such a thing. Not only that, Hasbro should know their own product. Invasor was not one of theirs. It was a character created by another company using their Snake Eyes mold. Why should they keep up on all that? It was a rude comment and a stupid one at that since the interational stuff has far less popularity.

CobraGang
10-19-2007, 10:10 AM
I came up with alot of choices that can be done, Quarrel vs. Red Laser:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b261/bermudamohawk/25thultenuk.jpg

...or Glenda vs. Cobra De Aco:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b261/bermudamohawk/25thultensa.jpg

I'd buy those in a heartbeat. $$$$$$ :O

The Mad Bubbler
10-19-2007, 10:51 AM
One thing that is a bit confusing id, in general, Hasbro talks about how much they need a line to appeal to kids, too, yet they don;t seem to realize one key thing in regards to the 25th. Anniversary line: kids like stuff that looks cool, even if it isn't a well-known character. I've said before, I find it frustrating that Hasbro is barely making any characters from the post-1986 era of the original line. Crimson Guard Immortal, Shockwave, Alley Viper... I think kids would pick those up because they'd be darn cool figures. The same goes for the international characters. De Aco, Mortal, red Laser... they're cool looking, period. And, the fact of the matter is, a lot of the kids who are buying the 25th. Anniversary toy line are probably not too familiar with the characters, unless they happened to catch some reruns of the old G.I. Joe cartoon, read the comic, or have a parent that's into it. Or, they may have sen the Sigma 6 cartoon. Still, as with the 8-inch toy line, I think a lot of kids are buying the figures out of the coolness factor.

As for some of the re-paints, Hasbro was handing out those decks of playing cards, and said that there were hints at upcoming figures in there. Based on that, we should be seeing a Python Trooper, as well as a Slaughters Marauders Spirit (and a regular one), so hopefully they'll consider more Python Patrol figures, and Tiger Force.

slim19722
10-19-2007, 04:06 PM
In this last Q&A, Hasbro said the playing cards weren't a hint to upcoming figures.

danyanda
10-19-2007, 04:34 PM
I'll probably buy the comic packs just because I love the presentation, but I am only going to be buying a few of the 25th figures at all. I have already passed on the Cobra Legions even though the Stinger Driver and Jet Pack trooper were cool. I am NOT doing army builders and repaints with the latest and greatest rip off of the ARAH figures.

Bring on Master Collector.

YoJoeNCSU
10-20-2007, 07:34 AM
I'm looking forward to the comic packs. I like the Hawk figure, but i'm not too crazy about the comic color Duke.

I'm sure I'd buy them, but I really have no interest in international figures. I didn't know anything about them when I was a kid, and I really don't care about them now. Some of the look cool, but from a character/figure stand point I could care less. I'd rather see a Nemesis Enforcer, Pythona, Airtight, and other 25th RAH characters remade before international figures. Heck, I'd really like to see a deluxe Golobulus figure with the flying ball that could detach to reveal his snake body. But I guess that wouldn't fit into a comic pack theme.

Bermuda Mohawk
10-20-2007, 08:26 AM
I'd rather see a Nemesis Enforcer, Pythona, Airtight, and other 25th RAH characters remade before international figures. Heck, I'd really like to see a deluxe Golobulus figure with the flying ball that could detach to reveal his snake body.

This came up in my Tiger Force thread too. But....I think people fail to see that one, you can't do what Hasbro does with these packs for those characters. The first wave comic packs, and why they annoy me, is that they are redecos of molds already available in almost the same basic colors. You would never have gotten new sculpt figures like Pythona or Enforcer. We could have however gotten redecoed figures in unique styles.

yojoebro82
10-20-2007, 10:07 AM
To answer your question, "yay or nay", I guess if we all want Doc it's gonna have to be yay.

I think those Joe decos you did are awesome. Hasbro SHOULD be doing those a la Satan (Red Ninja). That would rock.

yojoebro82
10-20-2007, 10:16 AM
One thing that is a bit confusing id, in general, Hasbro talks about how much they need a line to appeal to kids, too, yet they don;t seem to realize one key thing in regards to the 25th. Anniversary line: kids like stuff that looks cool, even if it isn't a well-known character.

Most certainly.

Another fact is that (if Hasbro was truely concerned about kids liking the toys) they need to be avalible in higher quantities. KIDS DON'T HAVE THEIR OWN CARS TO GO TO STORE AFTER STORE TO HUNT THESE THINGS DOWN! They (the toys) need to be there while the kids are casually strolling down the isle with mom. I bet half the kids in the world don't know the 25th an line exists.

The Mad Bubbler
10-20-2007, 11:19 AM
Yeah, I am hoping that, whether it is due to stores ordering enough, or Hasbro not shipping enough, the issue with distribution gets ironed out. the Target nearest me had four pegs for the 25th. Anniversary figures, initially, but now only has two. they've gotten them in a few times, but never many at once (from what I've seen, it looked like only 1 case at a time). I guess after having the pegs empty so often, someone decided it would make more sense to cut it down to two pegs. The other two pegs now have (more) Blue Box military figures. I would think Hasbro would ship enough; I mean, they're in this business to make money, so if they can sell product, they should ship it, but if they store had four pegs set aside for the figures, their orders should be in an amount that would keep that many pegs reasonably stocked. Anybody heard an explanation for these distribution issues? Also, has it been confirmed that it is only comic pack proof of purchases that can be used for the Doc mail-in offer? I hope not - I'm buying them, but I wanted more than one Doc, and at least with wave one, I only want one of each pack. Hopefully the offer will continue with wave 2, in which we'll be getting new figures - hopefully that trend of new figures in the comic packs will continue.

goodguyswearblack9
10-20-2007, 11:37 AM
I'm not so sure it was the fact that they didn't know who Invasor was. They were in the middle of presenting new product for next year (Snake Eyes/Red Ninja 5-pack) when someone blurted out "Put a silver Cobra logo on it!" refering to Snake Eyes. Hasbro aside, I thought this was incredibly rude to blurt this out in the middle of the presentation. Their response of "Why would we want to do that?" could have partially been because they don't know the character but it also could have been because it just didn't make any sense to do such a thing. Not only that, Hasbro should know their own product. Invasor was not one of theirs. It was a character created by another company using their Snake Eyes mold. Why should they keep up on all that? It was a rude comment and a stupid one at that since the interational stuff has far less popularity.

I hate it when people act out of line in presentations, and do any of us really want Invasor anyways?

Jbluez
10-20-2007, 07:32 PM
You do know that only wave one of the comic packs are repaints, right? The rest of them will be other characters like the other 2 dreadnoks.

DPrime
10-20-2007, 09:22 PM
I hate it when people act out of line in presentations, and do any of us really want Invasor anyways?

Seriously, he wasn't acting out of line, there was a lot of back and forth between them and the audience. Hasbro said something like "we need to keep finding ways to get Snake Eyes in every wave" (which should have met with groans from the audience, really) and some guy said "put a Cobra logo on it and call him Invasor". Seriously, no big deal.

And yeah, a lot of us would rather have Invasor than Snake Eyes V1 in 10+ different varieties of off-black.

Bermuda Mohawk
10-21-2007, 08:43 AM
You do know that only wave one of the comic packs are repaints, right?

Yep, and doesn't change a thing that I said. Looking at the higher res pics up now at TNI I like the styles even less, and wish more that these were redecoed into other characters.

CobraGang
10-22-2007, 08:42 AM
Yeah, I am hoping that, whether it is due to stores ordering enough, or Hasbro not shipping enough, the issue with distribution gets ironed out. the Target nearest me had four pegs for the 25th. Anniversary figures, initially, but now only has two. they've gotten them in a few times, but never many at once (from what I've seen, it looked like only 1 case at a time). I guess after having the pegs empty so often, someone decided it would make more sense to cut it down to two pegs. The other two pegs now have (more) Blue Box military figures. I would think Hasbro would ship enough; I mean, they're in this business to make money, so if they can sell product, they should ship it, but if they store had four pegs set aside for the figures, their orders should be in an amount that would keep that many pegs reasonably stocked. Anybody heard an explanation for these distribution issues? Also, has it been confirmed that it is only comic pack proof of purchases that can be used for the Doc mail-in offer? I hope not - I'm buying them, but I wanted more than one Doc, and at least with wave one, I only want one of each pack. Hopefully the offer will continue with wave 2, in which we'll be getting new figures - hopefully that trend of new figures in the comic packs will continue.

The same thing happened here. I went to Target last week (after my 15th failed attempt searching for 25th Joes), and the 4 pegs were reduced to 2 pegs. :eek: Then they had some new Army Force *#!t kicker figures in its place. And they had multiple copters and tanks for these figures. :mad:

The distribution of these 25th single packs to stores sucks badly. :mad:

samluvsjoes
10-22-2007, 08:53 AM
The same thing happened here. I went to Target last week (after my 15th failed attempt searching for 25th Joes), and the 4 pegs were reduced to 2 pegs. :eek: Then they had some new Army Force *#!t kicker figures in its place. And they had multiple copters and tanks for these figures. :mad:

The distribution of these 25th single packs to stores sucks badly. :mad:

Happened here as well. I thought they were just tired of me moving the silly things back to where they were supposed to be.
Sam

BMC
10-22-2007, 04:15 PM
i feel the same way i still havent nailed down the Con. Mortal yet.
and while we are at it might as well make some DD figures.

msv
10-23-2007, 12:12 PM
I definitly want the comic cobra commander with helmet not hood. And I still haven't gotten snake eyes and storm shadow.

Jbluez
10-24-2007, 01:12 AM
Yep, and doesn't change a thing that I said. Looking at the higher res pics up now at TNI I like the styles even less, and wish more that these were redecoed into other characters.

Well, ok. I guess I agree with the point that wave one is a downer. The question itself actually applies to *all* of the upcoming comic packs, tho. I believe that having more figures to choose from is better than less. As long as the offer is still going when wave 2+ is available, I am ok with it.

BMC
10-28-2007, 02:19 PM
Most certainly.

Another fact is that (if Hasbro was truely concerned about kids liking the toys) they need to be avalible in higher quantities. KIDS DON'T HAVE THEIR OWN CARS TO GO TO STORE AFTER STORE TO HUNT THESE THINGS DOWN! They (the toys) need to be there while the kids are casually strolling down the isle with mom. I bet half the kids in the world don't know the 25th an line exists.

this is a great statement

jamarmiller
11-20-2007, 10:18 PM
I cant believe I didnt see this thread before ! **** ya I sooooo want these soooo bad!

makes so much more sense than another repaint of the same character over and over, these would make great additions to my collection and I wouldnt mind at all buying them as repaints as they are another character all together

karamazov80
11-21-2007, 01:14 AM
When I get my 2-pack Scarlett, I think I'm going to try to custom make my own "Glenda," and I may try to make a "Red Laser" from my Legions CC at some point. Those digibashes look really different and awesome.

rook
11-21-2007, 08:35 AM
Are the comic packs exclusive, or will they be offered in different store chains???

MWG
11-21-2007, 10:27 PM
I'll probably get every pack but the Duke/CC pack, and maybe get doubles on the Dreadnoks and Hawk/Scarlet pack for the Doc mail-in. Most of them look decent, wish they'd retool Dukes forearms so they can bend fully if they're going to keep using them for other figures.

+-MWG-+