I GIVE UP!!! How far would you drive? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : I GIVE UP!!! How far would you drive?

Wyo
10-19-2007, 09:05 PM
Man, this is frustrating. I just got back from a 5 hour, 200 mile loop looking for wave 2 and 3 of the 25th line. I hit 3 walmarts, 3 targets, 1 Kmart and a TRU. Obviously, I live in the middle of BFE (laramie, wyoming) so I guess I shouldnt complain! :) Anyway, I hit all the stores in Fort Collins, CO then south to Greeley, CO, then back up into Cheyenne Wy. NOTHING! Just empty pegs.

Sad as it is, I guess in my circumstances....(living in BFE), I think Im going to have to resort to scalpers and ebay. Sucks....but what can you do?

Btw, the only reason I have wave 1 is because Im from San Diego, CA and got them there during the summer. Living in the middle of nowhere sucks! :(

Syna3sthesia
10-19-2007, 09:25 PM
Wow...that is frustating indeed. I go out of my way to actually see if other stores like Walmart and Kmart carry the line but is like a lost cause, they never have anything and driving around for 40 mins is just too much gas.

I stick to my trusty TRU that is like 10 mins away and they get the product but is sometimes weeks behind.

green firefly
10-19-2007, 09:25 PM
My limit is 1/2 hour. I won't drive farther than that to buy anything - not when I can practically buy an extra kidney over the internet.

XtremeWRATH360
10-19-2007, 09:37 PM
I barely see any waves except first wave in the east coast and even then its always 1 figure i see. Hasbro is dropping the ball big time with this.

GI FLINT
10-19-2007, 09:38 PM
i live in a big city with 4 wally's, 2 targets and a TRU just on the 16 mile drive to work, nevermind the surrounding cities. no joes here either, only have my 3 waves because of board sighting notifications, when you guys would see'em, i'd hit the stores on the way to work for 2-3 days till i had them. after a week though, all gone. maybe a stray shipwreck here or a lady jaye there, but thats it.

but one day, i bumped into a hasbro rep who saw me looking at figs and asked if he could help, i wanted joes, he had none, but he was just excited to have TF's on the rack. They had been out of stock for weeks, same for SW 30th....now, a month or so later, in 5 minutes, i could drive up the street and go buy any TF or SW 30th fig I want, except maybe the mcstormtrooper. point is, yeah, they are behind demand, but it is coming, just like the TF and SW....

Super Sport
10-19-2007, 09:38 PM
Strictly preorders for me... At least until next year with the exclusives and all. :mad: Guess I'll have to start getting up early again and haunt the aisles all day.

4 Targets, 6 Mal Warts, 3 K-Marts, 2 Tru and 1 KBs all within 15 to 20 minutes of each other.

rnrhero
10-19-2007, 09:52 PM
I will drive about 50 miles one day a week looking. That gives me 4 targets, 5 Walmarts and 3 TRU stores. i hit one Walmart every other day and one TRU Every other day because I pass them for Work.

Erick
10-19-2007, 09:54 PM
My limit is 1/2 hour. I won't drive farther than that to buy anything - not when I can practically buy an extra kidney over the internet.

I agree. Sam, wouldn't it be easier to get them from a store or something? Or here! you'd save time and $$ by not doing those long trips

slim19722
10-19-2007, 10:03 PM
I got 6 Wal-Mart's, 3 K-marts, 4 Targets, and 1 TRU, all within a 40 mile radius, luckily I've got all 3 waves from the WM and Target 5 minutes from my apartment.

Syna3sthesia
10-19-2007, 10:05 PM
I got 6 Wal-Mart's, 3 K-marts, 4 Targets, and 1 TRU, all within a 40 mile radius, luckily I've got all 3 waves from the WM and Target 5 minutes from my apartment.

The force is strong with that one!!! :)
I'm still awaiting the arrival of the 3rd wave and the Cobra Legions pack!

TheReverend
10-19-2007, 10:12 PM
With the price of gas, and what I value my time at...

I'd rather just get them through preorders (ever if it's higher then retail), or "sclapers" on eBay, or from some of the frendly helpfull folk around here :D

I mean screw that driving around all day stuff, that gets expensive REAL quick - the money you save not doin' that, even makes "sclaper" prices look good :p IMO

slim19722
10-19-2007, 10:13 PM
The force is strong with that one!!! :)
I'm still awaiting the arrival of the 3rd wave and the Cobra Legions pack!

Actually, I need to make a correction, wave 3, I had to go the farthest WM to get'em and the only one I didn't get was Zartan and the Legion pack, so I gotta little more driving to do. Which I did today, and all I saw was the first 2 5-packs.

Dakemesh
10-19-2007, 10:17 PM
Yeah, anymore I just do preorders all the way. What's your time worth + the price of gas, and I'll bet you'd save a ton of dough going online. Now, I know I'll get everything I'd like, and if I happen to see something in a casual search I may buy an extra, but there's no worry. I'm in Houston and can hit about 7 Walmarts, 5 Targets, and 3 TrU's in about 3 hours total (and I have done it from time to time), and find bupkis. Just not worth it.

Syna3sthesia
10-19-2007, 10:18 PM
With the price of gas, and what I value my time at...

I'd rather just get them through preorders (ever if it's higher then retail), or "sclapers" on eBay, or from some of the frendly helpfull folk around here :D

I mean screw that driving around all day stuff, that gets expensive REAL quick - the money you save not doin' that, even makes "sclaper" prices look good :p IMO

I would support the Preorder issue but the whole point is to get the figs at some point and not having your order cancel by some toyshops or still awaiting for orders to ship.

Zodach
10-19-2007, 10:29 PM
I personally think it's ridiculous to drive that far, especially when no stores have any stock of the new single figures. The situation is pretty consistent across the country.

With the money you're spending in gas, not to mention your time, you could just preorder them by the case at BBTS and probably save yourself some money in the long run.

Hasbro said that more 25th Joes are coming and I believe them. Many Walmarts around here got 2-3 cases of wave 3 last week. That's improvement, but they do need some more. I'm sure they're in the pipeline somewhere, but that's a long supply chain and it doesn't happen overnight. If you can't find waves 1-3 by Christmas, then I would start worrying. There should be a flood of product in the next couple of months. My $.02 :cool:

Syna3sthesia
10-19-2007, 10:32 PM
I think is sort of nostalgia and that fuzzy feeling you got everytime you walked into TRU and saw rows of Joes and Vehicles....ah the good ol times!

karamazov80
10-19-2007, 10:34 PM
I would support the Preorder issue but the whole point is to get the figs at some point and not having your order cancel by some toyshops or still awaiting for orders to ship.

My first pre-order attempt was with Bigbadtoystore for Wave 3, and as many of you know, they had more pre-orders than stock that arrived, so I was left out of luck until Hasbro decided to get its act together (at which point, presumably, a pre-order would be unnecessary, b/c stores would have enough stock, too). Now, I don't completely fault this retailer (obviously, much of the blame goes with Hasbro), but I'm with you on this one. Now, I will pre-order with some places that don't charge until the items ship (like BBTS), but I use this as a fall-back measure at best.

I've found that its cheaper in the long run, and a heck of a lot easier, just to pay the extra and get these figs from "scalpers" on the 'Bay. Wait a few days after the line first starts showing up online, obviously, but then you can make out pretty well. You might end up paying 4-5 extra dollars for each figure (10 each or so), but if you can combine shipping for an entire wave, for instance, it really makes much more sense to do this than to drive around all day long, like the guy who started this thread said.

And I would love to have that nostalgic feeling, too. But at some point, the costs far outweigh the benefits. Heck, I never could get the toys I really wanted in stores when I was a kid, anyway.

starrcommand
10-19-2007, 10:54 PM
As in another thread I find there is either a single person or a group of people running around hitting all the Wally's and Targets. TRU's around here have nothing, once in a while I will stop in but they dont even have spot for them anymore so I dont even bother with TRU anymore. Every Target or Wally usually has either banged up cards or crap figures like stormy or cobra commander hanging there. I have been lucky enought to find most of wave 1, 2 and 3 though. I cant find any army builders or the "rare's". Im getting rather annoyed also at the fact that I find one or two here or there. But I have found that Targets can look up all the others in the area, if you can find someone who knows and is willing to look them up. Wally's are worthless ... its hit or miss and no one is willing to help. THey just want to walk around and talk on there cell's or to one another. I really want just one army builder. Just one would be nice.

slim19722
10-19-2007, 11:08 PM
Yeah, I've given up on TRU, got singles once back in July when wave 1 started showing up. I've had best success with WM for waves 2&3 and some with Target, where I got black Timber and wave 2 for a fellow board member, but the Targets here haven't gotten wave 3. I have nothin but time on my hands since my VA benefits kicked in, so I can do some searching, if I get bored. And I don't have to up at the crack of dawn to get'em like some say the scalpers do. I've gotten the fig's around noon time.

thunt4
10-19-2007, 11:47 PM
If you have to drive that far ebay would be your best bet. I have been seeing people sell them at retail lately if you look hard enough. Most combine shipping too.

UCJoe
10-20-2007, 04:21 AM
That is a very large area to search for Joes. I agree with the consensus on perhaps ordering on-line/pre-order.

For me, I do not go outside of a 30 minute drive radius, and it is usually when I am looking to purchase other items also.

I too suffer from the lack of 25th Joes. I remain optimistic, and hope with the obvious high interest in the line, Hasbro will produce more and we will see alot more during the Holiday season and next year. I have heard that will be the case.

It is fun though to see the 25th line on the pegs in the store. It's like finding the Joe I was looking for when you were a kid in the 80's. I just have not seen them where all of the pegs are full.

Good luck to all in finding the Joe's you want.

Ashxking
10-20-2007, 06:14 AM
I mostly go to Target thats about 20 minutes away and a Walmart near by. Walmart has had nothing so everything ive gotten was from one target

2LT VIPER
10-20-2007, 06:34 AM
I have done the same and found little to nothing. Someone is buying the wal mart out as soon as they come in...I am so frustrated with hasbro right now about their production..I understand not flooding the market but I am good about finding everything yuntil now. wave 2 and three are no where near me.... arrrggggggggggggggggggh

YoJoeNCSU
10-20-2007, 07:24 AM
I have a few walmarts and targets on the way to work, and a toys r us. I usually just stop at them, every now and then. I also do all my grocery shopping at Walmart, so since I am there a couple nights during the week I just hit up the toy aisle. Unless I am completely bored on a Saturday I'm not going to drive all over town to find them. Gas is way to expensive these days to justify that for me.

I also use the pre-order method from BBTS. If you pre-order a case of figures, they usually come out to $7 a figure (or maybe $8, I can't remember) after shipping. I've been lucky so far and found everything at retail, but usually its just been seeing them once and never again.

kerowack
10-20-2007, 08:53 AM
Ebay prices on all but wave 3 are down...just shop online.

kennywr22
10-20-2007, 12:11 PM
I have to say that i feel very lucky after reading most of these. I live in south Florida and i can hit about 4 walmarts and 4 targets within a 25 mile radius. I usally hit a super walmart on my way home from work each day. I work for Target by the way. I have 2 sets of each wave and 12 soldiers and 10 officers. One legions set. I will wait for the air trooper single to troop build. It's funny though becuase although i worl at a target i've only bought 1 set of wave 3 and 1 extra solider. Walmart's price of 4.88 is just to good even with my discount.

Dakemesh
10-20-2007, 01:46 PM
But I have found that Targets can look up all the others in the area, if you can find someone who knows and is willing to look them up.

The thing to bear in mind with that is that Target's store to store inventory system only updates weekly (Thursdays I think - or so I was told). So, unless you're checking on a Thrs or Fri, it's virtually worthless for something as fluid as toys.

DevilKing
10-20-2007, 04:38 PM
Man, this is frustrating. I just got back from a 5 hour, 200 mile loop looking for wave 2 and 3 of the 25th line. I hit 3 walmarts, 3 targets, 1 Kmart and a TRU. Obviously, I live in the middle of BFE (laramie, wyoming) so I guess I shouldnt complain! :) Anyway, I hit all the stores in Fort Collins, CO then south to Greeley, CO, then back up into Cheyenne Wy. NOTHING! Just empty pegs.

Sad as it is, I guess in my circumstances....(living in BFE), I think Im going to have to resort to scalpers and ebay. Sucks....but what can you do?

Btw, the only reason I have wave 1 is because Im from San Diego, CA and got them there during the summer. Living in the middle of nowhere sucks! :(

I understand how you feel. I never thought I'd see the day where I was angry to see nothing but Cobra Commander's on the pegs.

And, as unbelievable as it sounds, I'm actually starting to resent the five packs.

GrenadierStinny
10-20-2007, 05:14 PM
There's just almost no way to beat out the scalpers and other hard-core collectors in my area.

I don't have the time to check the same stores over and over and just waste my time and gas.

So, that's why I've just given up to buying all my 25th stuff off of e-bay.

I'd rather pay an extra 20 dollars a set than deal with the loss of time, gas (also money!) and deal the constant dissapointment of empty pegs.

With Wave 3, I picked up two yellow Stalkers the first week they came out-- not knowing they'd actually be worth something (for the time being, anyway). I also got a variant Zartan for 10.99 and an "Anchor" Shipwreck for 15.99.

Sooooooo much easier than looking all over southern NJ and finding nothing but empty pegs.

I've just given up on the idea that the stores will order enough product-- or Hasbro will make enough...

It's kind of a doule-edged sword because if the stuff was just sitting on shelves, the line might get scrapped due ot lack of interest-- but we'd all have it.

But, as it is, there's a huge interest-- and it keeps the line going and going! Only problem is-- we can't find the stuff at reatail.

So, I guess you just have to pick your poison...

Wyo
10-20-2007, 06:40 PM
Whats up Guys? Yeah, I think like a lot of you I mostly search for the nostalgia...plus I like to drive down to Colorado anyways just to get a taste of city life (and chipotle...we dont have them in wyo :) )...looking for the the 25ths have just increased the number of trips Ive been making.

However, it is getting old and expensive so you are all right about me just buying them online. Actually, I got Wave 3 on ebay last night for $48 shipped....which is a good deal in my opinion. Keeping my eye out for wave 2 as well. Im done driving all over the place. Thanks!!

kurthalsey
10-20-2007, 06:51 PM
Man,this modern day collecting is pretty weird. Remember when half an aisle used to be filled with Joes? I think I just don't get why a toy has to be so hard to find when they are so mass produced. I am sure Hasbro could be very successful without having to try and force a collector's market by planned scarcity and variants. All I can think of is how Todd McFarlane ruined comics with all those different Spider Man #1's. How is something supposed to be collectible when there are a million of them in existence? I think "this figure is rad and I love how it looks and I love GI Joes so I want to own them" could be more than enough and it would be a lot more fun.

GrenadierStinny
10-20-2007, 07:33 PM
Sadly, Kurt, the toy industry has taken a major back seat to video games.

When we were younger, the market was much different. But now, the amount of figures produced for a line pales in comparison to the old days of toys.

The 70's and 80's were the golden years for toy manufacturers. They produced figures in the millions! Now, most compies will happily settle for 1/4 of what they used to sell then.

Video games now officially make more money then the movie industy. Kids will not play with figures the way they used to. They want games. And now, they also want iPods...

So, we don't see the kind of "isle of Joes" (or any other toy, for that matter) like we used to.

I think we all miss those days...