Who else's Target is decreasing 25th Shelf space [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Who else's Target is decreasing 25th Shelf space

Jay West
10-22-2007, 10:18 AM
My Target just went from 5 pegs to 1. They sold out of Wave 1 three times over and have never received wave 2 or 3? Is this Target or Hasbro dropping the ball?

Anyone else experiencing this?

CobraGang
10-22-2007, 10:22 AM
Here is my post from another thread.

The same thing happened here. I went to Target last week (after my 15th failed attempt searching for 25th Joes), and the 4 pegs were reduced to 2 pegs. :eek: Then they had some new Army Force *#!t kicker figures in its place. And they had multiple copters and tanks for these figures. :mad:

The distribution of these 25th single packs to stores sucks badly. :mad:

Jay West
10-22-2007, 10:48 AM
Here is my post from another thread.

I hear ya. So who is at fault. I have a hard time believing it is Target. They can't keep 25th on the shelf so you would think they would want as much as possible. Also, they are on board with exclusives in 2008. So what is the deal? Is it still that Hasbro had no idea that the line was going to be so popular? If so when will that problem be over?

samluvsjoes
10-22-2007, 11:17 AM
I hear ya. So who is at fault. I have a hard time believing it is Target. They can't keep 25th on the shelf so you would think they would want as much as possible. Also, they are on board with exclusives in 2008. So what is the deal? Is it still that Hasbro had no idea that the line was going to be so popular? If so when will that problem be over?

I imagine it's a combination of factors, though two stick out in my mind:
1. When they have the Joes, they sell out quickly, leaving empty space that is not quickly filled. It looks bad to have 4 or 5 pegs empty for most of the time, so they put it down to two as this can not only reasonably hold a case of 8 when it finally does come in, but also keeps the shelves looking better (i.e. less empty space).

2. My Target has taken the two or three shelves that were 25A and made them for the Elite Force/Forces of Valor stuff. This stuff doesn't seem to sell very fast, but they probably have piles of it in the back and want to get it out on the floor. So, they replaced the poorly distributed but well-selling Joe space with better distributed but not fast-selling other stuff.

Sam

dockingbay97
10-22-2007, 11:35 AM
Remember, Hasbro pushed this line hard earlier this year but retailers ordered light on it because Joes just haven't sold well this decade. Because Hasbro didn't get high orders, they only made what they could sell to retailers.

And then it turns out the line is selling well and the retailers are selling out. But it is past time to get more of the first couple of waves out. Retailers are upping their orders for future waves and Hasbro will be putting more of Wave 1 out soon.

The success of the line has caught the retailers off guard.

You can't blame them though because they have been burned on a lot of Joe product over the past few years. That is why it went TRU only or internet only a couple of times - no other retailers wanted to take the risk on stocking it.

themoney75
10-22-2007, 12:13 PM
yes my target just took 2 pegs away from the gi joe single packs.... space is money.who fault i guess both,but most retailers have been asking for more to be sent for awhile now and nothing.i called hasbro the other day the lady i talked to wasnt much help she was clueless why all the stores around me are sold out.i told her about my store has been placeing orders for months and been getting a case once every three weeks and selling out within an hour she took my zip code maybe something will come of this.the same thing happen with the transformers sold out every store for awhile then everyone had them hope the same thing happens with joes.

thunt4
10-22-2007, 12:13 PM
Another thing to consider is why have empty pegs when it could be filled with something else. If its selling that fast then they won't use up a ton of space for a product that can't keep in stock.

Syna3sthesia
10-22-2007, 01:14 PM
We have about four pegs for the 25th line in the Targets I shop at but I have yet to see a single fig!!! Curses...Target...and Hasbro!!!

ridetofight
10-22-2007, 01:19 PM
yeah - this isn't going to be a store wide practice. in fact, technically, it should NOT be happening. everyone who said something close to "space is money" is right - nothing sitting in the back room sells. BUT items stop being carried and get clearanced regularly - only these spots are supposed to be "flexed" into. sales wise, these stores are being proactive about the influx of toys that is already arriving in preparation for the holiday season by getting everything they have out of the back, as well as creating a nice, full presentation for the guests. i wouldn't be too alarmed by it. my store got two shipments of 2 casepacks each for wave 1, 1 case for wave 2, and 1 a week later for wave 3. that was two weeks ago. the wave one 5 packs have been out for a month and nothing from wave 2 yet. so its mostly been filled with other stuff... that hasn't really sold... but at least theres the possibility.

i've got to be honest though - the lack of figures has put me out. of collecting. all together. it doesn't make sense to me personally to just have a couple figures here and there that i have to search for, and don't especially want in the first place. i run the process that puts all the product on the shelf. everyday we get a truck in, i'm there before the store opens. and i can't get my hands on them. within literally 10 minutes of the store opening, they're all gone. and its against store policy and my morals to stash them. but, honestly, its more about store policy.

Dakemesh
10-22-2007, 01:42 PM
It's not just Target, I've been in to more than one Walmart where the associate working in toys has removed ANY tags referencing GI Joe. It's now the CORPs section with a few old Sigma 6's and some retro 12" figures tucked in the corner.

CGC
10-22-2007, 02:02 PM
All the Target's I've been to in the past couple weeks each have two pegs - & they're always empty. Either they're selling what comes in right away or it's been awhile since they've received any new stock - either way, at least there is still some shelf space for them.

Jay West
10-22-2007, 02:28 PM
It's not just Target, I've been in to more than one Walmart where the associate working in toys has removed ANY tags referencing GI Joe. It's now the CORPs section with a few old Sigma 6's and some retro 12" figures tucked in the corner.

I could be wrong but the Wal Mart issue generally is pre release of the 25th. Several if not most Wal-Marts did away with all Joe stuff prior to the relaunch which was very much due to what Dockingbay says above: Getting burned by Joe in the past.

I think what is alarming about Target is that most Targets across the board supported the line at inception whereas not all Wal Marts did. This added with the positive information at the JoeCon - ie Hasbro knows we want product and they are dedicated to getting it to us and the fact that Target has signed on for exclusive product in '08 becomes troubling. A retailor that was on board for the relaunch and has signed exclusives deals cannot or will not get enough product to keep the peg space at the initial count, but is now reducing peg space.

It appears that Targets across the board have been selling out of Joe product so you would think that both Target and Hasbro would bend over backwards to make sure peg space either increases or stays the same not shrinks. This can only be bad news for Hasbro. There is no other way to spin it. I am not saying that in 2008 and 2009 the shelves will not be flowing with Joe product, but right now it is bad news for Hasbro.

KarlH
10-22-2007, 03:13 PM
I have terrible luck at Targets in Phoenix. Walmart has been hit and miss as has been TRS. Best luck has been KB Toys in the malls. Crazy but I guess most collectors don't bother with them since they tend to be so small. I found all of Wave 3 there last Friday and 15 5 pack cases including a Cobra Legions.

Lody
10-22-2007, 03:22 PM
My take:

I live around the corner from a Wal-Mart. I am in there almost every day. They are getting shipments (one or two cases) regularly-I believe they are selling out that fast. A case of Wave 2 came in and was stocked overnight-there are three figures left cause I bought so many.

They are unbelievably popular.

BMC
10-22-2007, 03:31 PM
i have to 2 here and i might have seen 2 place holdings for joes.
most of the stock is sigma 6 still
and not to jack this but the tru that i went to dont have but a side of an end cap. some boxed 1 & 2's and a whole lot of viper sets.
richmond is dead.
SW and Trans are winning this battle

TheReverend
10-22-2007, 03:40 PM
Don't really have a Target close to me...

But my local Super WalMart has decreased it's 25th pegs :rolleyes: they had 12 pegs (which were almost always empty, and when they weren't empty they became mysteriously empty after I walked by them :p )

Anyway they have reduced that down to 4 pegs... and filled the other 8 pegs with CORPS! junk (they have a crap load of CORPS! stuff)... so sad...

Kir Kanos
10-22-2007, 03:41 PM
yea it seems like there is usually 1 peg at Target for joes, while there are many more for corps figs

Shogi
10-22-2007, 06:20 PM
I really believe the case here is what other have said about Target not wanting to have empty shelves. It looks bad when your store has empty gaps (Like you might be going out of business soon) I'm sure once the product shipments increase that those two extra pegs will come back, if not more space :)

I do have to wonder about TRU though. If they have always been supportive of the Joe line, then why have I seen wave 1 figures once at TRU? (This is counting two stores in two different towns) The one closest to me has gotten the revamped 5 packs again and new shipments of Steel Brigade and Viper pit sets (I'm betting that the comic packs they have were always there) Is Hasbro shipping out whatever they have to ship out only to Targets and Wally worlds?

ridetofight
10-22-2007, 09:47 PM
I could be wrong but the Wal Mart issue generally is pre release of the 25th. Several if not most Wal-Marts did away with all Joe stuff prior to the relaunch which was very much due to what Dockingbay says above: Getting burned by Joe in the past.

I think what is alarming about Target is that most Targets across the board supported the line at inception whereas not all Wal Marts did. This added with the positive information at the JoeCon - ie Hasbro knows we want product and they are dedicated to getting it to us and the fact that Target has signed on for exclusive product in '08 becomes troubling. A retailor that was on board for the relaunch and has signed exclusives deals cannot or will not get enough product to keep the peg space at the initial count, but is now reducing peg space.

It appears that Targets across the board have been selling out of Joe product so you would think that both Target and Hasbro would bend over backwards to make sure peg space either increases or stays the same not shrinks. This can only be bad news for Hasbro. There is no other way to spin it. I am not saying that in 2008 and 2009 the shelves will not be flowing with Joe product, but right now it is bad news for Hasbro.

i can't speak for what target is doing to pursue joes for its shelves, or pursue hasbro for stock.* i can, however, say that target is not reducing pegs for joes. the situation is the result of a company wide practice that is not limited to this case. everywhere you go in a well run store, items that have been clearanced out, or are habitually low enough on stock to not fill facings will have something that can be sold (because its physically there - not to insinuate target feels that joe is a bad seller) put in its place. when/if enough joes come in, pegs will be returned to their original number to accomidate the full amount of joes on the salesfloor.

*the intially planned 4 facings for the joes indicates to me that target planned on having a lot more than they are getting. which seems to me to be a problem with hasbro. target wants to sell 4 full pegs of gi joes. they just can't get them.

stad
10-22-2007, 11:00 PM
Yeah, why wouldn't they reduce the pegs? They are empty, when they do get stocked it is one or two pegs worth, and shortly after (usually hours) they are empty again. Does it really matter if there are 4 empty pegs or 2 empty pegs? Other than it makes the store display look better without a lot of empty spaces? It's just common sense.

John Missal
10-22-2007, 11:10 PM
i can't speak for what target is doing to pursue joes for its shelves, or pursue hasbro for stock.* i can, however, say that target is not reducing pegs for joes. the situation is the result of a company wide practice that is not limited to this case. everywhere you go in a well run store, items that have been clearanced out, or are habitually low enough on stock to not fill facings will have something that can be sold (because its physically there - not to insinuate target feels that joe is a bad seller) put in its place. when/if enough joes come in, pegs will be returned to their original number to accomidate the full amount of joes on the salesfloor.

*the intially planned 4 facings for the joes indicates to me that target planned on having a lot more than they are getting. which seems to me to be a problem with hasbro. target wants to sell 4 full pegs of gi joes. they just can't get them.

No, this guy isn't a Target employee (hehe... Sales floor...facings...)

They just revised the whole toy section this week. They pull out slots for poor performers, items that are discontinued and items that fail to come in.

GIJoe falls into the "items that fail to come in" slot... The slot for them is still active, but reduced only because there is habitually no product to stock.

My store actually did NOT reduce the facings for joes and remains at 4 pegs for some reason... go figure...(go action figure?!)

John M>BR TL

ridetofight
10-22-2007, 11:46 PM
haha! want to start a yojoe boards BRTL club? we can complain about risers and the salesfloor dropping POGs at 12:25.

John Missal
10-23-2007, 12:52 AM
How about I complain about the fact that today was my first full day as that, and it was also INVENTORY!!!!! GAH!

What really sucks is going every day to the pegs and shooting OUTS on joes and never having any luck...

John M> former SFTL who would drop POGs at 12:25...

2LT VIPER
10-23-2007, 07:17 PM
Well if they had figure one that would be great. Hasblo has gone from peg warming to peg colding...there is no figures there. Surely, there is a medium somewhere that they could get some figures out and not over produce....let me get this out. ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh hhhhhh

That is my textual representation of the rage I feel at Hasblo.

slim19722
10-23-2007, 07:40 PM
From what I've read from other boards and from my own experience, since the 25th Joes hit retail around July, retailers haven't got no more than 3 cases at a time. In the past few weeks, my local Target's have gotten 1 case of figures, so I can see why they went from 4 pegs to 2 pegs, they can't fill 4 pegs. Wal-Mart still has 4 pegs and in recent weeks, a couple of them have had all 4 pegs full with wave 2 & 3. TRU got their only singles back in July, 1 case of wave 1 and nothing since, except 5-packs. K-Mart has no pegs for the singles and only one had a tag for the 5-packs.

samluvsjoes
10-23-2007, 08:15 PM
My local K-Mart has lowered their pegs from 3 to 1. They have no space alloted for the 5-packs but humorously enough they only have 5 packs. Go figure:rolleyes:
Sam

rnrhero
10-23-2007, 10:09 PM
The fact of the matter is, even though Hasbro has upped production of these figures, Walmart has over 3800 stores in the US., Target has over 1500, with kmart and TRU giving us another 1000 or so, Then there is online retailers and other places that are getting some of the figures. It adds up to 6000+ cases needing to be made just to supply everywhere with one. Now add in the fact that since everyone underordered to begin with, There were probably not enough molds made to accomidate this kind of pumped up production. Hasbro cant make them overnight, so the retailers fill holes with what they do have. I work at Guitar Center and we do the exact same thing. "Not enough Tuning Pegs, Fill the hole with another Item." At our company there is a policy in effect that we leave no Peg Holes over night Ever. The fact that the stores are leaving empty pegs means that they have orders coming in at some point.

AlternateUniverse Steeler
10-23-2007, 10:27 PM
I'm messing with target. I took one of the peg pags and took it too kinkos and copied it. Then went back and made more pegs at 4 targets for joes.

yojoebro82
10-23-2007, 10:50 PM
I'm messing with target. I took one of the peg pags and took it too kinkos and copied it. Then went back and made more pegs at 4 targets for joes.

Man, I hope you really didn't do that..........

At least this could be a testament to how much better GI joe is NOW than back when we had Vvs.V and stuff like that. I gotta think that most of THAT stuff would still be sitting on the shelf. Even if there was only one or two cases to begin with.

quintonarledge
10-24-2007, 01:03 PM
My Target just went from one-peg to four! Too bad they were all empty except for one, sad little Cobra Commander hanging by his lonesome :(

However, they still have the same 8 pegs full of 8" stuff that have been hanging there for months! :mad: I did pick up a new "Crime Boss Destro" today to help lighten their load. Anything to help out, ya' know! :D

gaelinic
10-24-2007, 01:55 PM
Here in Denver, CO, I saw three Targets that reduced or removed their GI Joe pegs. They were replaced with the newer Forces of Valor figs. I'm just posting confirmation that I'm seeing this as well.

Of course, I found two cases today of Wave 3 at another one by me. So, who know what that all means.

John Missal
10-24-2007, 09:40 PM
I just checked today and our store went from 4 to 0 pegs. Only the box sets have spots.

Walmart doesnt' have anything and Kmart is dry, but still has 2 pegs.

John M>

Dean
10-24-2007, 11:47 PM
The Target 5 min from me no longer has any tags for the 25th, and one 10 min from me I havn't see any 25th for about 2 months. The TRU 5 min from me though just got, LITERALLY 20 25th 5 packs. Also a Kay-Bee and Toy-works at a mall 20 min from me between them also has about 40-50 5-packs. But, none of these stores carry the single packs. The TRU however had just filled their pegs, with VvV 6 packs, some crap about Steel Brigade vs. these Orc looking guys...

My only luck finding any 25th figs is to take the main road in S. Florida, University Drive. It seems that this road is the only road in S. Florida that has a Target truck route carring 25th's. It took me 3 months to finally get wave 1 and 2, and hopefully I will start seeing wave 3 in a couple weeks, along with the Legions box set. But, so far, aside from the 2 Targets on University Drive, NO OTHER STORE around me has 25th's, and if they do, an un-godly amount of 5-packs.

Here are the stores around me:

5 Targets (only 2 carry 25th single carded)
3 TRU
3 K-Marts
2 Kay-Bees
1 Toy-Works

I know, I am fortunate to have all these store near me, the furthest out is 25 minutes away. But, out of those 14 stores (and a few I may have forget) I have only seen single carded figs consistantly at 2 Targets and 1 TRU. I don't get why half these stores buy about 100 lbs of 5-packs, but don't bother w/ the single packs... I've done the run for all these stores twice, and each time took a tank of gas ($47 average). Of those 2 runs, I was able to get... nothing. The only time I find them is when me and my girlfriend go out on the weekends, and when we drive by a Target and drop in, I'll find some I need (recently found Beachhead and a Cobra Soldier)

I am fed up with searching, and I am DONE going out of my way. I am strickly going in store for convenience, and I am PRE-Ordering online. Now, I just have to wait till BBTS gets them in :D...

Reptilian Popinjay
10-25-2007, 01:30 PM
My Target has three pegs and today they were TOTALLY FULL of 25th Wave 3. I scored two more Officers for my army!

The Shipwrecks had the anchor tattoo rather than the shark and the Stalkers were regular green. I've never seen a yellow Stalker.

rnrhero
10-25-2007, 08:57 PM
Two pegs fully stocked. Picked up an anchor Shipwreck so I would have both, A Zartan that does not say Color Changing, and an officer since I am army Building them. I passed on the Red Ninja since we will see a 5 pack with them later.

Reptilian Popinjay
10-25-2007, 11:07 PM
Aren't the 5-pack ninjas a little different from the single carded one?

The Red Ninja is an awesome action figure, by the way. At long last Storm Shadow has an army builder worthy of him.

Squirrel Lips
10-26-2007, 09:50 PM
My Target has only ever had 2 pegs for 25th Joes. They've been empty for a good month or so....