The Cobra-La Movie [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : The Cobra-La Movie

Johnny
10-22-2007, 08:42 PM
So I rewatched this over the weekend. You know, the one with a blind Roadblock carrying around Cobra Commander while he's mutating. I have such found memories of this movie from my childhood. After rewatching nearly 15 years later, all I can say is..."Wow, that is some cheesy stuff right there." I still enjoyed watching it and all, it's just hard to get by the utterly primitive animation and dialogue. Then again, the cartoon was not catered to 26 year old men, but wow. I just hope that the live action movie....whenever that actually comes to fruition, trumps and replaces the cartoon movie from the 80s. BTW, I never understood why Falcon was so popular. The fact that Don Johnson voiced him was enough for me to dislike
him. The fact that the imprisoned Serpentor aka the most dangerous man alive, is not only lacking a guard, but Lt. Falcon can bring in a date to his cell. lol a LT? He wouldn't even be privy to the mere knowledge that Serpentor was captured and being held at his base. And the fact that Chuckles was on top of the Tomahawk when it crashed....Let me repeat, the fact that Chuckles was on top of a airborne helicopter when it crashed into a building..... and then was the first one to rescue the, cough, "unlucky" ones inside of the helicopter.... well, that's just silly. Now, I know that I am pointing out the discontinuity of physics in a cartoon featuring a "man" that is half snake, but seriously, I wish I would have been a script writer in the 80s. I could have cranked that out in about an hour. That being said, I think I'll watch it again tonight...

Johnny

Bigtattoo
10-22-2007, 08:59 PM
I was unfortunate (or fortunate depending on how you look at it) when i was a kid, and never saw the movie.

I bought it as an adult, and thought it was terrible.

One of worst animated films Ive ever seen.

Even getting all fanboy and geeky about all teh characters wasnt enough to stop me hating that film.

Id never liked Cobra La (la la la la la) before the movie- afterwards- Id buy the figures just to ritually burn them- I HATE them with a passion.

Ive only watched it once, and thatll remain the case.

Johnny
10-22-2007, 09:07 PM
I quite enjoyed it as a kid, but I always thought of the GI Joe "movie" as being the weird mini series with Shipwreck having messed up dreams of people turning into clay or something like that... Nemesis Enforcer was one B.A. Baracas....but the inconsistency of the movie is what made me mad as an adult. When the Royal Guards first came out and surprised the Joes, they whupped up on them. Then, when the Joes escape, boom, they dispatch with the Guards with no problem whatsoever. And Sgt. Slaughter fighting Nemesis Enforcer and beating him? Right. The guy is purple with wings and retractable blades on his friggin forearms. Seriously. He opened a metal dome with his blades.... I dunno, I have a bad problem with over analyzing movies as it is.....an 80s animated movie is bound to a have more than a few plot holes and defying the laws of physics here and there.....

Johnny

Erick
10-22-2007, 10:33 PM
I actually liked the movie, I can't deny that it's cheesy though, the plot was bad, the discontinuity of physics as you pointed out, the sudden change to a sci-fi environment, etc. lots of reasons to hate it.

But believe it or not I find it funny in a very strange way, perhaps now as an adult, I finally understood that it was meant to introduce new characters, thus an excuse to release a big bunch of new toys

Urban Saboteur
10-23-2007, 12:34 AM
Ok, lets start with some basics.. first up.. I think most cartoon styled films based on toys aren't supposed to be realistic or meant to be well defined on physics of the earth.
Take Power Rangers or He-Man for example.. :rolleyes:

I think for the most part the movie is watcheable.. especially from say a kids viewpoint stuck in the 80s. The parts I hated was how none of the actual characters portrayed really stuck to those of the filecards. If anything they were the exact opposite?
Falcon was supposed to be tough and a snake biter but he was a loose cannon vigilante who didn't take authority so well.

The film lets face it by todays standards is really pants, but then again most stuff from the 80s is pants now. There is alot wrong with the GIJOE Movie.. alot wrong. However even if the new movie was released with a better storyline and more realistic characters.. the fact remains this piece of animated film from the 80s is a history of GIJOE (Fortunately or Unfortunately) :p

Sgt.Slaughter as bad to the bones as the guy is.. unfortunately would never be able to take N.E never.. it just wouldn't happen. Although again having looked at all the possibles, should the mutant actually ever exist or existed.. I don't think anyone here on earth would be able to take it/him.
The fight really wouldnt last that long.. because as you already mentioned.. he ripped through the havoc hull with his blades.. .he'd make salami out of the sgt. (think wolverine/hellraiser and a hack and slash) even as good as a fighter sarge is.. he'd need heavy artillery or a decent sized gun at least to best the mutant.,

The movie itself is more of an extended cartoon to the series, Destro is still noble.. mindbender is still made fun of by CC, and the raging maniacal buffoon is still ridiculed by everyone in the film. Serpentor still thinks he's something great (that he clearly isn't) and the new threat is a group of hibernating mutant people that mysteriously live in the mountains.

None of this really depicts how people and fans first thought GIJOE would be.. and so for this reason alone fans will shun the movie.
I'm severly hoping that the new movie will be something of substance and best that of its 80s predecessor.. but i won't be holding my breath. :o

Squirrel Lips
10-26-2007, 10:24 PM
I liked the movie as a kid. Now...I can still sit through it. I can still watch it because they made the La figures, for some reason, that's a big deal to me. If they hadn't made the figures, it wouldn't be the same. For me, even as a kid, the action figure to actually being in the cartoon/movie ratio was a huge factor.

Johnny
10-27-2007, 03:36 PM
See I had the Cobra La trio, but was there a Pythona figure?

Johnny

Erick
10-27-2007, 07:17 PM
See I had the Cobra La trio, but was there a Pythona figure?

Johnny

Nope, sorry to inform you that she never had a figure, Which is why most people are drooling over to get one in 25th style! me included obviously ;)

Net-Viper X
10-27-2007, 08:38 PM
What I hated most "aside from the whole The Commander is a snake man thing" is the terrible inconsistency. When the Joes first arrive at Cobra La, a small handful of Royal Guards totally thrash the Joes. Then late the same Joe team stomps an entire army of Guards. Then we have the Enforcer, capable of picking up a Havoc "how much would this weigh?" and tossing it like a childs toy, but he cant beat a fat guy that fights in staged fake matches. I wont even go into the Jinx vs Pythona fight. Ludicrous...

I actually have to wear a bib when I watch this show to keep the vomit off my shirt. When I was a kid I would never play the tape to friends because I was so embarassed by its cheese. I guess in actuality, the only thing I liked about it was that I got to see the Vipers, Motor Viper etc in cartoon form. In my area all the toons where early and had blueshirts. Wasnt until years later when we actually got the newer toons.

Shipwreck"n"polly
10-27-2007, 08:48 PM
I loved everything about the movie, i loved when they dumped falcon at the slaughter house, you can't beat that, over all the movie fits in well with the continuity of the cartoon series "not the comic book" so really they are two entirely different continuities that i love equally and am not ashamed to admit we soooooooo need a pythona figure and remakes of the cobra la baddies in 25th style i would love a movie set of figures that included the dvd!! flashing through the sky comes a fearfull cry cobraaaaaa