Target Exclusives [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Target Exclusives

freak4ll
10-27-2007, 11:07 AM
As I'm sure we all know by now, Target is having some 25th anniversary exclusive figures with vehicles. I've seen some pics before but never of Crank Case. Why does Grand Slam come with a Shark... doesn't make much sence to me. Anyway, you may want to check out the pics.

Toy News International - Daily Action Figures Toy News, Reviews and Discussions (http://i.toynewsi.com/g/index.php?mode=album&album=GIJoe%2F25th_Target_Exclusives&dispsize=600&start=0)

Personally, I'm a little divided on these. Grand Slam is a complete repaint of Flash, not even a new head. Cooler colors though. Plus I've never been into vehicles, just figures, so we'll see.

Erick
10-27-2007, 11:35 AM
I have mixed feelings about these, Crankcase is cool, I don't care for the HISS though.

And Grand Slam is the best driver they could find for the SHARC? talk about lack of sense...:rolleyes:

DPrime
10-27-2007, 11:49 AM
All the vehicles look great, in my opinion, but they're really going to go to my RAH collection. Crankcase is alright, Grand Slam is great, the Cobra Trooper I could certainly do without.

gunslingercbr
10-27-2007, 12:04 PM
Personally, I'm a little divided on these. Grand Slam is a complete repaint of Flash, not even a new head. Cooler colors though. Plus I've never been into vehicles, just figures, so we'll see.
that is just a hand painted prototype to show how the figure will look, the pattern on the padding isn't even sculpted yet. I am confident that when he is released he will have anew head.

And Grand Slam is the best driver they could find for the SHARC? talk about lack of sense...:rolleyes:
I think it is more about releasing Grand Slam, a desired character that they could make since they sculpted the body for Flash, more than matching a character with the vehicle. this was just an avenue to release Grand Slam.

XtremeWRATH360
10-27-2007, 01:10 PM
When are these due out?

YELSEW
10-27-2007, 01:13 PM
I think sometime next Spring. I will buy them to get the figure and sell the vehicles.

XtremeWRATH360
10-27-2007, 01:14 PM
Im gonna get them for both. I happen to like the figures and it would be nice to have another Hiss Tank lying around the house. :p

mjgriffi
10-27-2007, 01:21 PM
I think these are pretty cool concepts and hopefully the final product will look good. Not entirely sure why Gand Slam is coming with the Sharc. It would be nice to get a new sculpt Deep Six.

GerjurdKing
10-27-2007, 01:59 PM
Aside from the AWE Striker I dont like these at all. We've had plenty of repaints over the years so really the others are just more repaints (ie not very 25th-ish). Also I'm not a fan of the proposed new display style boxes. I want the original art work!

freak4ll
10-27-2007, 03:45 PM
Actually, one of the Hasbro Q & A's confirmed that are going to be using the same head for Flash and Grand Slam, like I said, a straight repaint - I guess that's how the original 82 characters were in retrospect, a lot of repaints - but back then they didn't know they had a hit, now they do. It'd be nice to have a different head unless they are twins. Deep Six or Torpedo would have made more sense for the Sharc. I will probably try and get the figures anyway, but don't want to pay for the vehicles - so we'll see, maybe I can partner up with someone who wants the vehicles and not the figures.

I must say, so far with this line the reuse of parts with different color schemes and different heads has worked exceptionally well.

DPrime
10-27-2007, 04:52 PM
Actually, one of the Hasbro Q & A's confirmed that are going to be using the same head for Flash and Grand Slam, like I said, a straight repaint...

That is too bad, since their heads were different originally. I mean, if they did a new head for Grand Slam and used it for a future Grunt and Zap, that'd be fine by me, why not do that?

I'm surprised at the lack of enthusiasm for the SHARC. I know it's not the greatest vehicle, but I don't think it ever looked better. The Shark teeth (appropriately) look fantastic on it!

gunslingercbr
10-27-2007, 11:27 PM
Actually, one of the Hasbro Q & A's confirmed that are going to be using the same head for Flash and Grand Slam, like I said, a straight repaint
really? that's just garbage IMO. does Crankcase share a head with anyone, or does he get a new one?

danyanda
10-27-2007, 11:50 PM
I'll get all three and probably a couple of Hiss tanks. I can never get enough Hiss tanks.

I always said that with the new sculpt figures that Hasbro was ripping off the 82-94 line by using the same characters and accessories (and even some figures) mixed in with totally different new sculpts. When the 25th came along they said that everything was going to be that line, that scale now (I guess just ripping of the original 3 3/4" arwork). That lasted a month now and they are mixing it all up again.

But hey, I can never get enough Hiss tanks.

Net-Viper X
10-28-2007, 02:04 AM
I really like the Shark in those colors and especially the big shark mouth on it. Looks very mean. The Awe is pretty cool in that it looks very close to the original. I am kinda blah on the Hiss tank, looks like a clone of the Hiss 3 for TRU. That vehicle just doesnt have the full impact unless its black or red.

I just cant understand why they would put Grand Slam in there, especially with Flash's laser rifle and pack. They have that Jump pack from the Cobra rocket trooper, why the bloody H is that not recolored green and included instead. If this is the best figure they can think to include, at least give us his true pack. The Cobra guy dissapoints me too, these new TRU/Target exclusives in camo just dont look right. If they must have a Cobra Officer, why not make him red so he at least resembles a Hiss driver. I bet a Red Cobra Officer would look super sweet too, guess I'll have to pick one up and see.

TheReverend
10-28-2007, 05:42 AM
I think sometime next Spring. I will buy them to get the figure and sell the vehicles. You and me too brother.

I like all the figs, I don't care that grand slam is a repaint (just in case anyone has forgot, they used to repaint figures a lot back in the old days too - and have all along... that's life in the toy biz)

I'd like a little army of the cobra hiss driver er...urban officer(?) whatever we want to call it, might have to work on that.

But the vehicles will get sold - no room

kennywr22
10-28-2007, 11:58 AM
Well i was looking back all the 80's figures noticed that they all had original molds and they weren't reusing till early 90's. I think it's crap that 25 years later we have to settle for repaints and same heads. Give us a break. The line is popular and selling very good. Give us original molds for the basic characters and then repaint them later if you want for the otehr forces, but not already. I can't believe for an original memember of gi joe team that we get the same friggin head. That just plain sucks.

Serpen
10-28-2007, 12:06 PM
They should have packaged the Shark with Timber, at least that'd be funny.

kerowack
10-28-2007, 12:23 PM
I think that it's cool that we are seeing vehicles at all. The only part about the 25th release that I don't like is that I can't just go and buy them. I have to "hunt" them. It's exciting when you get them, but it's too much work to do so.

The good thing is that the ebay prices seemed to have leveled off (except for troop builder stuff).

MWG
10-28-2007, 01:04 PM
My main beef with the Grand Slam figure is that they can't even recolor the jetpack from the Cobra Air trooper into a JUMP pack? Otherwise it looks good, as does the Crank Case figure. The HISS driver is ok, nothing special, but the HISS looks pretty good. May use some to replace my HISS 3s.

+-MWG-+

DPrime
10-28-2007, 01:28 PM
Well i was looking back all the 80's figures noticed that they all had original molds and they weren't reusing till early 90's. I think it's crap that 25 years later we have to settle for repaints and same heads. Give us a break. The line is popular and selling very good. Give us original molds for the basic characters and then repaint them later if you want for the otehr forces, but not already. I can't believe for an original memember of gi joe team that we get the same friggin head. That just plain sucks.

Er, I think you need to take a closer look at the '82 and '83 figures, especially since we're talking about an original member.

But yeah, it should have been a head shared by Grunt, Zap and Grand Slam if anything, not Flash. We might be seeing a Flash head on Hawk (are we?), Steeler, Short Fuze and Ace at some point - no need for Grand Slam too.

danyanda
10-28-2007, 06:33 PM
I'd like a little army of the cobra hiss driver er...urban officer(?) whatever we want to call it, might have to work on that.

But the vehicles will get sold - no room

Maybe we can work out a deal to trade my extra drivers for your extra tankswhen these come out?

Jbluez
10-28-2007, 10:48 PM
that is just a hand painted prototype to show how the figure will look, the pattern on the padding isn't even sculpted yet. I am confident that when he is released he will have anew head.

I think it is more about releasing Grand Slam, a desired character that they could make since they sculpted the body for Flash, more than matching a character with the vehicle. this was just an avenue to release Grand Slam.

I agree with that. As for why release the shark, remember it original came with Deep Six, who was wider than most figures. It's probably one of the few original vehicals that a 25th figure can fit in securely. :P

stad
10-28-2007, 11:21 PM

It's not right that he shares the same head with Flash, but the rest of that is pretty incorrect. The line has always re-used parts, very heavily in 82-83, but even to a degree after that, although not so much heads. But figure parts and pieces have been re-used quite a bit (Starduster and Steel Brigade coming to mind as the most obvious), I suggest you look in the archives and see what pieces were used again and where.

TheReverend
10-29-2007, 02:59 AM
Maybe we can work out a deal to trade my extra drivers for your extra tankswhen these come out? I'd be there, when they come out and (or, if) I can get a hold of them, I'm all for some dealing - we will have to talk when they are out - keep me in mind ;)

Tenric
10-29-2007, 12:22 PM
I agree with that. As for why release the shark, remember it original came with Deep Six, who was wider than most figures. It's probably one of the few original vehicals that a 25th figure can fit in securely. :P

I wouldn't be surprised. I couldn't believe how many of my Joes won't fit into my Skyhawk.

therobidentity
10-29-2007, 11:00 PM
The HISS was my first vehicle as a kid, and I loved it... my HISS was UNSTOPPABLE! BWAH-HA-HA-HA-HA!

Um... anyway, the HISS holds a special place in my heart, having blasted and crushed many, many undeserving innocents (my HISS driver lived up to his file card). However, even as a kid, I would occasionally pop the turret out and gaze at the huge empty cavity, wishing for some way to have other figures ride in and exit from there.

...Kind of like the '05 TRU exclusive version. (Or the HISS II for that matter.) I'm really happy with the '05 one, despite the fact that 25th figures are a tight fit at best. I like the addition of missiles as well, but the lack of an artillery gun upsets me a little. I think I'd rather have a combat reloadable gun up top than four missiles. :rolleyes:

So I guess I'd like to have the new (old) HISS, but I'd really like to see an APC incorporated into the design. =\

smokehouse
10-29-2007, 11:14 PM
Consider me another that loves Hiss tanks, I'll definitly pick one up figuring that I have almost every re-release and original Hiss tanks. The AWE and Sharc though...meh. I am still waiting for the Rattler in original blue. I know Hasbro still has the molds for that one so I'd love to see it. The Skystriker would also be amazing but if I inderstand it correctly, those molds were lost.

Oh well, it's a start.

stad
10-29-2007, 11:52 PM
Consider me another that loves Hiss tanks, I'll definitly pick one up figuring that I have almost every re-release and original Hiss tanks. The AWE and Sharc though...meh. I am still waiting for the Rattler in original blue. I know Hasbro still has the molds for that one so I'd love to see it. The Skystriker would also be amazing but if I inderstand it correctly, those molds were lost.

Oh well, it's a start.

The worst thing is those molds shouldn't be lost. Funskool was still producing Skystrikers just a few years ago.

CDR Hood
10-30-2007, 06:08 AM
Yeah, I got the mail-away Hiss and Hooded Cobra Commander, though having a tank with an open main-gun turret now seems like an odd idea, its still the baddest vehicle IMO.

This is a really good version for your standard Cobra Army. I will have to get a few more Nightwatch Cobras to ride on them.

The HISS was my first vehicle as a kid, and I loved it... my HISS was UNSTOPPABLE! BWAH-HA-HA-HA-HA!

Um... anyway, the HISS holds a special place in my heart, having blasted and crushed many, many undeserving innocents (my HISS driver lived up to his file card). However, even as a kid, I would occasionally pop the turret out and gaze at the huge empty cavity, wishing for some way to have other figures ride in and exit from there.

...Kind of like the '05 TRU exclusive version. (Or the HISS II for that matter.) I'm really happy with the '05 one, despite the fact that 25th figures are a tight fit at best. I like the addition of missiles as well, but the lack of an artillery gun upsets me a little. I think I'd rather have a combat reloadable gun up top than four missiles. :rolleyes:

So I guess I'd like to have the new (old) HISS, but I'd really like to see an APC incorporated into the design. =\

GBPackRat
10-30-2007, 09:45 AM
Anyone know if the vehicles will be spitting images of the old one, or if Hasbro's going to alter them slightly for the 25th line?

Tanner

Tenric
10-30-2007, 05:04 PM
I'd def buy the HISS if it could hold more troopers. The only way it would be useful in "real life" is if it could hold troops, otherwise as a tank it's pretty weak. Just aim on shell into that stupid driver's canopy and it's done.

/end nerd rant

Loose Cannon
10-31-2007, 02:20 PM
I'm all for reusing parts doesn't bother me at all. But the SHARC is in my opinion one of the worst vehicles ever made. The canopy always breaks off. Nobody but the original deep-six fits in it without sliding around, and the guns get messed up and the missles don't stay on after a few times of using them. What kids is going to want to play with that? And you know what I'm still going to buy it because I want GrandSlam.

therobidentity
11-28-2007, 01:17 AM
I can't believe I totally overlooked this! EVERY figure comes with a vehicle! They come with these wicked cool invisible boats!

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/4848/invisibleboat1si4.jpg

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/5895/invisibleboat2oi5.jpg

And they really float! I can't believe I threw so many of them away before realizing what I had! :(

Shogi
11-28-2007, 05:50 AM
Anyone know if the vehicles will be spitting images of the old one, or if Hasbro's going to alter them slightly for the 25th line?

Tanner

Hasbro said at either Joecon or SDCC that they would have to do a slight retool to the interior of the Awe-Striker (I'm hoping they meant the Hiss since that's the one that needs a slight retool)

CobraGang
11-28-2007, 11:18 AM
I can't believe I totally overlooked this! EVERY figure comes with a vehicle! They come with these wicked cool invisible boats!

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/4848/invisibleboat1si4.jpg

http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/5895/invisibleboat2oi5.jpg

And they really float! I can't believe I threw so many of them away before realizing what I had! :(

LOL I've got a bunch of those. Whenever I tear a figure off a card I keep the bubble for some strange reason. I just throw it in a bag and save it for later. I don't know why. I just do it. :D

BMC
11-28-2007, 08:53 PM
well there is always torpedo and the shark when they come out

groundhog7s
11-29-2007, 09:55 AM
Maybe it's been asked before, but has anyone heard a price point on these or release dates yet?

statesofeuphoria
11-30-2007, 07:23 AM
Maybe it's been asked before, but has anyone heard a price point on these or release dates yet?

The initial report had the msrp at $9.99 which would be fantastic, but I feel they would be closer to $14.99. The $9.99 is probably for the comic packs.

smokehouse
11-30-2007, 08:19 AM
I still don't get how these figs will work with the V1 vehicles...they can't "sit" like the original Joes can. I won't be opening them anyway but for those that do...

code red shockwave
11-30-2007, 10:06 AM
Crankcase looks ok, but I'm already thinking he has custom potential to make a Steel Brigade Trooper(the only thing that would need to be changed would be the head).

The HISS driver is ok but seems to be the best out of the three, and reminds me of an Urban Assault Version of the Stinger Driver.

Grand Slam is the least exciting, yet still ok. I also don't understand why he would come with the SHARC, but at least you could keep the vehicles to have your other workable figures sit in them while these vehicle drivers could be used as non-vehicle drivers.

Jestermon
11-30-2007, 11:13 AM
Man the Sharc and the Skyhawk were my favorite when I was younger, I never had the old sharc but scooped it up when it was released in 2001 as Wave Crusher with the Sub Viper.

The toy is a great little vehicle if you ask me, the guns are a neat feature, also Hasbro really likes getting the mileage out of its mold. Although when I first saw it as a Cobra vehicle it shocked me, but then I realized I never had it as a kid and it was cheaper then hunting down an old shark.

I hope they remake the Skyhawk in black or even the old sky Patrol colors, I loved that thing.

Hopefully they will also release the Locust, also I hope they stick to smaller vehicles and do not shoot them selves in the foot by remaking huge grandiose vehicles.

stad
11-30-2007, 05:10 PM
Crankcase looks ok, but I'm already thinking he has custom potential to make a Steel Brigade Trooper(the only thing that would need to be changed would be the head).

The HISS driver is ok but seems to be the best out of the three, and reminds me of an Urban Assault Version of the Stinger Driver.

Grand Slam is the least exciting, yet still ok. I also don't understand why he would come with the SHARC, but at least you could keep the vehicles to have your other workable figures sit in them while these vehicle drivers could be used as non-vehicle drivers.

Yeah, the SHARC will probably be manned by Torpedo, or not used at all. I will just use Grand Slam as a stand-alone figure, or maybe outfit him with a JUMP pack. If the rumors of a single carded HISS driver are true (and it is an actual HISS driver of some sort) I will use him as my driver and the included figure as a gunner.