Commercials... I was in a few [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Commercials... I was in a few

jmkeuning
10-30-2007, 01:41 PM
I was in a few commercials that are on this site - the one with the Sharc. I am the kid on the right with the blue shirt. You only see me for a second. The dialog is different than I remember it, but it is me.

I was also present for the commercial introducing Destro... with the MOBAT. I was not shot in that one, but I do remember the day, and that they were having a problem with sand falling on the set.

I was in another commercial, which aired that I cannot find. I THINK it might the one that introduces Cobra Commander, I think I am the kid on the left. But I really cannot tell.

Are these available as higher resolution?

Erick
10-30-2007, 01:50 PM
Really? wow that must have been a terrific experience!

How did they pay you? toys or cash? :D :p ;)

To answer your question... I don't know, I guess not.

jmkeuning
10-30-2007, 01:57 PM
Yeah, it was fun, mostly because a lot of kids tried out and not too many were picked. I pretty much did one every three years for three years.

IIRC, we got $115 for each commercial. They only took one day, and we got to get out of school.

They also gave us toys. I had this guy who was probably my agent who would open the trunk of his car and I could pick stuff out. But, thinking back, they were stingy with that stuff!

Hanging around there was cool because they showed us some of the toys when they were still prototypes. I am not into the stuff today, so I cannot remember the names of things... but we saw that big plane before it was available - the one with the wings that opened and closed or something?

Erick
10-30-2007, 02:11 PM
I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what's the plane you're referring to... so you say it was a big plane right? could it be this one? Phantom X-19 (http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/88/phantom/)

edited: Hey I think CGC is right, it should be the Skystriker!

Also, have you ever thought about getting back into Joes? What do you think of the 25th anniversary line?

CGC
10-30-2007, 02:14 PM
Wings that open & close sounds like the Skystriker (http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/83/skystriker/).

Very cool jmkeuning, thanks for posting!

Super Sport
10-30-2007, 02:37 PM
You were in Joe commercials? Thats pretty cool! :cool:

Are these available as higher resolution?

I imagine that better res copies of vintage Joe commercials exist out there, but I suspect if they're ever officially released, the faces of any actors will be pixled out

CGC
10-30-2007, 02:43 PM
YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/) might have a few in higher resolution. You never know, but it's probably worth checking.

(found some, but the resolution is hit & miss (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=gi+joe+commercial&search=Search))

jmkeuning
10-30-2007, 02:50 PM
Wings that open & close sounds like the Skystriker (http://www.yojoe.com/vehicles/83/skystriker/).

Very cool jmkeuning, thanks for posting!

Skystriker... that's the one!

---

I also saw the commercials on youtube. That is where I first saw the one with the SHARC. It was buried in the middle of a 5 minute clip...

So I need to sit down and watch them all.

The one that I recall the best, that I am looking for: I was laying the bottom of the hill and there was a guy across from me. A guy at the top of the hill rolled a jeep down and as it passed us we turned our guns toward the camera and said, "Go Joe!"

CGC
10-30-2007, 03:32 PM
Do you remember what color the Jeep was or about which year it was?

jmkeuning
10-30-2007, 03:37 PM
I'm pretty sure it was the VAMP. The first year.

At the bottom of the 1982 commerical page, there is a montage of a bunch of different commercials... in that commercial there is a scene with the VAMP rolling down a hill. I am pretty sure that is a piece of my commercial. I was laying at the bottom of the hill with a guy on one of those huge guns.

jmkeuning
10-30-2007, 03:41 PM

Also, have you ever thought about getting back into Joes? What do you think of the 25th anniversary line?

I have thought about it. I really do like to look at them, and I would like to have some of the old stuff, SEAL, Storm Shadow, etc. I am pretty sure all my guys are still in a box in my parents house somewhere; they would not throw them out.

The problem with getting back into it now is that it's just money... Anything can be had if the price is right... If I still have the old stuff, I am happy. But then, perhaps I will try to pick up a few that are memorable.

I might just get hooked.

Jbluez
10-30-2007, 03:49 PM
I liked the commercials about the jets. Every time (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SedYFUhYaGU), some kid would always turn the jet to the side and say "Check my missiles! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDSxQBjVomw)" Ok, why exactly? Is there a missile shortage? Bragging rights? Do they actually leave the airfield without checking their own missiles? :D

Tenric
10-30-2007, 03:58 PM
lol what a way to make yourself instantly popular on a forum. Seriously, that's a cool experience to look back on. I always was jealous of the kids in the commercials because they always had such elaborate areas to play in. It wasn't like a sandbox or something as equally dull.

Reptilian Popinjay
10-30-2007, 04:41 PM
I always assumed the kids in the commercials were children of Hasbro employees or something. Where were those commercials filmed?

Welcome to the forums!

Currahee_Chris
10-30-2007, 05:57 PM
WOW!!!

That answers seemingly unanswered questions for me.

BTW- Please tell me where you live- I need to take a road trip and pummel you- I WANTED TO BE IN THOSE COMMERCIALS!!!! :D :D :D

I always said,if I ever meet one of those "Commercial Kids" I am going to give them the beat down since they are getting to play with all the cool stuff way before the rest of us chuckleheads.

Welcome to the forums!!!

CC

Bigtattoo
10-30-2007, 07:56 PM
Thanks for sharing that- class stories.

And what a way to introduce yourself- respect and jealousy already.

jmkeuning
10-30-2007, 08:16 PM
It's all good.

I lived in Spain. No joke. We were at a military housing place called Royal Oaks. Near Torrejon Air Base and Madrid.

They came and auditioned the kids in the cafeteria of the school ( I could go into that...). They picked me and I took the day off of school and went to the studio. I remember a lot of donuts and orange soda! Thereafter, they had me back each year for three years.

I am 33 now, so you can do the math on how old I was then.

Since we were in Spain, we only got the AFRTS television, which was one channel. And they cut out all commercials! the only way we could see them was when someone in the States would send us VHS tapes. I was not able to keep any of my commercials so finding this is really special to me.

What is wierd is that I remember the commercial saying:
kid 1: "They've stolen the SHARC's computer"
Me: "The SHARC will get 'em!"

But anyway, that little rock that they drop in Water Moccasin (and then into the water) is supposed to be the computer or something. But it sounds like are saying "capsule..." Whatever.

That was all inside, that huge rock in the middle of the pond could be lifted up and all the water would drain out of the pond.

The only other person I knew who got a commercial was a girl who got the InchWorm commercial. Remember that one?

UCJoe
10-31-2007, 01:53 AM
jmkeuning,

ahhhh...to be so lucky. I knew a few kids that tried out for some commecials, but did not get any roles.

I was the same age as you at the time, but instead of Spain, I was in Germany.

I don't miss armed forces network, that's for sure. It was actually cool to get a hold of a VHS tape of shows back then, not only for the shows, but for the commercials. Also, my only source for Joes was good ol' AAFES Toy Land.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

DPrime
10-31-2007, 08:59 AM
Cool, must have been a great experience!

You were in Joe commercials? Thats pretty cool! :cool:

I imagine that better res copies of vintage Joe commercials exist out there, but I suspect if they're ever officially released, the faces of any actors will be pixled out

Why would they do that?

Tenric
10-31-2007, 09:14 AM
They pixel out their faces because they don't want to pay them anything. They included a bunch of commercials on the Transformers DVD (animated movie) and the kids faces were blurred out.