Upgrade the tech for the 25th. [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Upgrade the tech for the 25th.

Jbluez
10-30-2007, 05:09 PM
G.I.Joe is America's elite. So, for the 25th anniversary, they really should upgrade their equipment. The modern military doesn't use F-14s anymore, even tho it is still awesome. How about a new Skystriker based on the F-22 raptor? The Decepticons did it, so why not? :)

For Wild Bill, I'm thinking Apache. :cool:

goodguyswearblack9
10-30-2007, 05:36 PM
The GI Joes should use the old stuff in the 25th line, and then we need Hasbro to give us new stuff in the next series.

thetruth1013
10-30-2007, 08:07 PM
i think they should stay with the older feel as well for right now.. then when the movie rolls around, give us new updated stuff.

Jbluez
10-30-2007, 08:23 PM
The GI Joes should use the old stuff in the 25th line, and then we need Hasbro to give us new stuff in the next series.

Hm. Good point, I guess.

MikePrime
10-30-2007, 09:20 PM
That idea misses the point of the entire 25th anniversary line of figures.

Jbluez
10-30-2007, 09:29 PM
That idea misses the point of the entire 25th anniversary line of figures.

Oh, really? Would that point be to make original versions of Serpentor and Zartan? Hmmmm?

DPrime
10-30-2007, 09:40 PM
Oh, really? Would that point be to make original versions of Serpentor and Zartan? Hmmmm?

It should be, yes! The new versions are terrible (in comparison to the original designs).

I agree with the rest here - they've been trying to "update" GI Joe for a while now and frankly doing a crap job at it. Let's keep it classic for a while.

MikePrime
10-30-2007, 09:44 PM
So Zartan isn't shirtless and Serpentor has a helmet. So what? Duke has a new weapon but Stalker has a submachine gun that goes back to WWII.

Jbluez
10-30-2007, 10:07 PM
It should be, yes! The new versions are terrible (in comparison to the original designs).

I agree with the rest here - they've been trying to "update" GI Joe for a while now and frankly doing a crap job at it. Let's keep it classic for a while.

To reiterate, I can wait until the 25th is over to get a "raptor" version of the skystriker. :cool:

Super Sport
10-30-2007, 10:39 PM

John Warden, Hasbro's "new" head of the Joe line has already stated that those two updates were conceived before he took over the reins. His vision of the 25ths is "vintage". He even went on to say that both Serpentor and Zartan may be made again to resemble their 80s counterparts in the 25th ann sculpt style. I personally doubt it though. ;)

smokehouse
10-30-2007, 10:42 PM
I think the 25th line is a bit of old, a bit of new (but not too much new). The guys themselves are redesigned but have all the flavor of the original. I think that updated weaponry/equipment would be too much modern in the mix. Imagine a completely new figure that in no way resembles Snake Eyes, then call it Snake Eyes and put a 25th ann tag on it, this is what a modern Raptor Skystriker would be. If a Skystriker is to come out (please, please, please), it better be a F-14, anything else just wouldn’t be a fitting of a retro line. Like many have said, go ahead and bring out more 3 ¾ vehicles in a new line, then modern stuff will be ok. For now, it’s the 25th ann line, not modern stuff with old names.

Like many here, I personally wanted a complete reissue of old figures exactly like they were in the 80’s. Unfortunately this was not to be but we did get 75% of that wish with the new line. They more they change however, they less many like it.

MikePrime
10-30-2007, 10:45 PM
Wasn't that water squirting jet from the Battle Corps line similar to what then became the F-22?

Jbluez
10-30-2007, 11:21 PM
I think the 25th line is a bit of old, a bit of new (but not too much new). The guys themselves are redesigned but have all the flavor of the original. I think that updated weaponry/equipment would be too much modern in the mix. Imagine a completely new figure that in no way resembles Snake Eyes, then call it Snake Eyes and put a 25th ann tag on it, this is what a modern Raptor Skystriker would be. If a Skystriker is to come out (please, please, please), it better be a F-14, anything else just wouldn’t be a fitting of a retro line. Like many have said, go ahead and bring out more 3 ¾ vehicles in a new line, then modern stuff will be ok. For now, it’s the 25th ann line, not modern stuff with old names.

Like many here, I personally wanted a complete reissue of old figures exactly like they were in the 80’s. Unfortunately this was not to be but we did get 75% of that wish with the new line. They more they change however, they less many like it.

Well, you see, the original reason I made this post had to do with Duke's gun. I believe they changed it for the 25th because the gun that Duke originally came with existed only in the land of imagination. :P

smokehouse
10-31-2007, 06:42 AM
I looked through the weapons of the 25th line and other than a few figures (Destro, Baroness), most come with "classic" weapons. The Cobra soldiers comes with Dragunovs, Snake Eyes with an UZI, Roadblock with a Browning .50 cal (I think that's it), Duke with an AR 15 (actually, an older version of it, the military uses an updated version of that now), there's Cobra Commander's made up gun, many with 1911 .45's and a few Beretta 9mm look-alikes.

Mostly pretty classic stuff.

tstorm_75
10-31-2007, 09:18 AM
Well, you see, the original reason I made this post had to do with Duke's gun. I believe they changed it for the 25th because the gun that Duke originally came with existed only in the land of imagination. :P

Actually Duke and Stalker's gun is based on the HK54 which later became the MP 5. So Duke and Stalker should have been given MP 5. In fact instead of an Uzi SnakeEyes would more than likly been given either a MP5k or the new MP7.

therobidentity
10-31-2007, 03:09 PM
So Zartan isn't shirtless and Serpentor has a helmet. So what? Duke has a new weapon but Stalker has a submachine gun that goes back to WWII.

Precisely. I'm really happy with my Zartan. I'd like it if he were a little more subtle than to have a Cobra logo on his chest, and if he had more exposed color-changing skin that changed in the sun like the original (I'm not really into sticking figures in the freezer), but he's really a great figure, IMO. He has a realistic sniper rifle even, instead of a laser-pistol. A bow would be better ("How else would you know that I'm really Zartan?" - paraphrased?), but I'm not complaining. (I've got three Storm Shadows anyway, I could appropriate one from them... or buy the earlier comic-pack and appropriate that set.)

Of course, I would definately buy another Zartan if they released one based off the original. (Not v2 though.) ;D

Serpentor, I couldn't really care less about. To put it politely, he's not on my list of favorite characters. I do however, think that the 25th version is a vast improvement over the original figure. I don't just mean in sculpting quality either; I think the design far better than the original. I wouldn't buy either one personally, but if I had to buy one or the other, I'd buy the newer design. :cool:

I would also buy both an F-14 and F-22 Skystriker, because I loved the Tomcat, but the F-22 just totally blew me away. Growing up with Top Gun and GI Joe, the Tomcat held a special place in my heart, and if I wound up becoming a pilot, it would be just to fly a Tomcat. I would say it has amazing capabilities even now. Of course, I wouldn't pass up the opportunity to fly an F-22, either. It broke my heart when the Tomcats were decomissioned... but I think the F-22 might just make up for it.

Also, as far as any complaints regarding weapons... just go Marauders already. ;D I haven't looked in a while, but I'm sure you can find MP5s (if not, pick up a "Corps!" or any other generic set). I like that Duke has an M4/203, because that's pretty much standard issue... but I'd still like to equip my Joes with FN SCARs. :)

Jbluez
10-31-2007, 05:06 PM
Actually Duke and Stalker's gun is based on the HK54 which later became the MP 5. So Duke and Stalker should have been given MP 5. In fact instead of an Uzi SnakeEyes would more than likly been given either a MP5k or the new MP7.

Oh! I see where I got confused. Duke's card art (http://www.yojoe.com/action/83/83card/duke-var.jpg) showed him with the imaginary rifle, and yet he came with the HK54. I am not talking about the HK54. I am talking about THIS silly thing. (http://i.toynewsi.com/g/index.php?mode=view&album=GIJoe%2F25th_Comic_2-Packs%2FWave_1%2F&pic=01Hawk.jpg&dispsize=600&start=0) If you tell me that really exists, THEN I will be impressed. :cool: