What I found out today [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : What I found out today

2LT VIPER
10-31-2007, 02:33 PM
I wondered why there was nothing but snake and stormy in any stores around here. I went to Kaybee and happened upon them as they opened. There was a guy back there going through the boxes before they even hit the shelf. The store manager was allowing what I guess to be a friend at the store rifle through not only GI JOe but lego and star wars. I do not collect either of the others but I thought that was a pretty effed up thing to do. What are you alls thoughts on this....... clearly the guy was collecting a large amount of crap to take to EBAy....fortunately I was able to snake 3 cobra officers and a red ninja. I then found the cobra legion set at Target.....perhaps there is hope because lord knows I have been looking for beach head and fire fly forever. Anyway...I was ticked off that the toys were not even making it to the shelves.

Syna3sthesia
10-31-2007, 02:39 PM
That's a shame whether is for ones collection or for profit.

therobidentity
10-31-2007, 02:55 PM
I have worked in retail, and on collectable or ad promoted items, we were definately not allowed to snag stuff before it hit the shelves. At one point there was some serious administrative action (up to and including firing) threatened if team-members stashed ad items for personal purchase. I would assume this to fall under the same rules. It's a different store, so they may not have those policies, but I would still say that you are justified in filing a complaint with regional or corporate... especially if there's the possibility of an employee pulling re-sales. That's clear conflict of interest.

DPrime
10-31-2007, 02:56 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't have a problem if it was the manager helping out a friend look for a few things, you know, if he was a collector. But what he's doing is crap, if he's using the retail store to help supply an Ebay dealer. Maybe even illegal?

2LT VIPER
10-31-2007, 03:01 PM
Like I said, the guy had the guy in the little back area and he was pointing out boxes to go through before they even hit the floor. THis was at 10 a.m. so I was the only other person in the store. I recruit for the army now and I have some freedom to hit the stores up early morning on my way out somewhere. My hours are pretty much dictated by me and allows me to search but I never take everything in an area....for some reason I consider it wrong to completely raid the shelf. For instance today I got a few officers but left three others there for kids... after the collector picked thorugh the only things left were snake eyes and storm shadow.............. that has been the same in the target and TRU around here as well so I think it is the same guy.....I live in rural georgia so there are not tons of collectors out in this area....

Desert Fox
10-31-2007, 03:33 PM
Yeah, unfortunately that happens way too much with popular lines. I know of instances here, where entire cases of figures were sold to a local dealer, instead of being stocked. :mad:

2LT VIPER
10-31-2007, 03:35 PM
we need to start "project mayhem" and start a war with these companies....like perhaps making a monument at the mall roll through the kay-bee store after closing...

the first rule of project mayhem is not to talk about project mayhem......IM me to find out what dilapidated shack you all need to report too!

JakeEDangerously
10-31-2007, 04:43 PM
That is pretty effed. I work in retail now, recieving and warehouse is my department, and no one but employees are allowed in the back. Employees are allowed to set aside items for themselves, but within a reasonable limit. If it's a hot item the manager will special order more items for the employees, but customers are to get first opportunity. No matter what, our first priotity is to get some stock of every item onto the retail floor. There's no way that someone should be keeping things from hitting the floor so someone to pick over the best of before the general public gets a chance. That is just poor PR.

samluvsjoes
10-31-2007, 07:37 PM
I think a similar thing happened at my local TRU. I went there only to find no Joes (again) but I wouldn't give up hope. So, I opened the little swing out things above the shelves and what do I see but a case of Joe figures. Of course, it was opened and there were only three figures left: SS, SE, and CC. I was a little miffed, but I put them out (since there was no place for them, I just stuck them in front of the 500 or so Comic Packs they had) and the next day even those were gone.
Sam

cobraferret
10-31-2007, 07:56 PM
I have seen this before working in retail.
Some guy came up to me when the first tickle me elmo was huge and offered me $100 to snag him 2.
I said no way that is illegal.So he went to another co-worker.
Needless to say he was fired.
I don't have a problem with a friend helping a friend out for a few things,but not like this.This is why most of you guys don't have the new waves or wave 1 for that matter and have to resort to ebay.It is wrong plain and simple.

smokehouse
10-31-2007, 08:58 PM
That's funny, I went to 5 stores tonight including TRU and I could only find Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow...

What a pain in the ***, I too am looking HARD for Firefly.

Lody
10-31-2007, 09:30 PM
I would contact the district, regional and corporate offices and let them know what's going on-that's total crap that they are allowing it

j2sw
11-01-2007, 10:29 AM
I have come to just buying online through smalljoes or one of the other advertisers here. Makes life easier. Not as fun. I still look if we go shopping, but I don't have to hit every store.

Justin

http://gijoe.groups.vox.com/

dockingbay97
11-01-2007, 11:42 AM
I don't have a problem with people working at stores helping friends get stuff.

Even though I currently don't have this happening for me - I have in the past. I never paid anyone though - just flirted with girls to get them to pull stuff for me.

However I can't blame employees who take payment either. They get paid poorly and have to put up with a lot between screaming parents & kids to difficult collectors. I say more power to them.

Collecting isn't easy. You have to put the time and effort into it if you are going to do "the hunt".

I have seen a lot of shadiness durning "the hunt" but befriending store employees and getting their help getting stuff is really low on the list of frustrations.

cobraferret
11-01-2007, 01:15 PM
However I can't blame employees who take payment either. They get paid poorly and have to put up with a lot between screaming parents & kids to difficult collectors. I say more power to them.

These employees that take payment are wrong plain and simple.They knew what they would be getting into working retail.
When I worked at hills I have had a lot of problems with customers.I have had them hit me with carts and say move just to see if I would do something so they could sue,etc. We were treated like dogs by a lot of customers,but those same customers paid for me to work there.That didn't give an excuse to abuse,but a lot of people just don't have morals anymore.
It is against the companies rules to accept money from a customer to "hold" anything.This is stated when you sit there and watch the videos,read and Sign the papers.So if you accepted money from a customer you are breaking a contract that you signed and there could be legal trouble for you.Though most of the time you are just fired and your resume' is marked.Shady is Shady
I know there is a lot more worse frustrations out there,but this is the topic at hand.

therobidentity
11-01-2007, 01:25 PM
These employees that take payment are wrong plain and simple.They knew what they would be getting into working retail.
When I worked at hills I have had a lot of problems with customers.I have had them hit me with carts and say move just to see if I would do something so they could sue,etc. We were treated like dogs by a lot of customers,but those same customers paid for me to work there.That didn't give an excuse to abuse,but a lot of people just don't have morals anymore.
It is against the companies rules to accept money from a customer to "hold" anything.This is stated when you sit there and watch the videos,read and Sign the papers.So if you accepted money from a customer you are breaking a contract that you signed and there could be legal trouble for you.Though most of the time you are just fired and your resume' is marked.Shady is Shady
I know there is a lot more worse frustrations out there,but this is the topic at hand.

Absolutely. It's all about morality. Everyone has hard times; it's about what you do in hard times that says what your character is. That's how businesses evaluate potential hires, too. Maybe it doesn't seem like a "big" thing to take money from one customer, but if you'll do that, it shows you're willing to do more. You can be bought.

Lody
11-01-2007, 05:12 PM

Collecting isn't easy. You have to put the time and effort into it if you are going to do "the hunt".

I have seen a lot of shadiness durning "the hunt" but befriending store employees and getting their help getting stuff is really low on the list of frustrations.

If you are taking money to hold product for a person then you don't have much when it comes to integrity. I ALWAYS promised myself that I would not compromise my own integrity for the sake of some toy, (whether for my personel collection or someone else's). My self respect is worth more than what these people can offer. I am,proud to say that I never have either.

We all know that collecting is not easy but to go to that level for the sake of having something versus the "thrill of the hunt" is trying to justify an action that is morally wrong. You are benefitting from working at the company and at their expense when you have no entitlement (inherit, perceived or otherwise) to do so. Your benfit is working there-nothing more.

And for anyone who has worked in retail (and with a company that actually strives for excellent customer service) they tell you that such actions are grounds for dismissal from the job.

There is a difference between asking someone to keep you in the loop when new stuff comes in and blantantly bribing them to hold it for you. If these are some of the tactics that are being used then this is a sad, sad hobby to be in.

Lody
11-01-2007, 05:17 PM
Absolutely. It's all about morality. Everyone has hard times; it's about what you do in hard times that says what your character is. That's how businesses evaluate potential hires, too. Maybe it doesn't seem like a "big" thing to take money from one customer, but if you'll do that, it shows you're willing to do more. You can be bought.

I missed this but to add to it-

just because you can-doesn't mean you should.

Maturity and ethics come into play here-

I don't speed because I don't want to get caught, so I don't speed

OR

I don't speed because I am not supposed and it's against the law to, so I don't speed

There are alternating levels of maturity when it comes to statements such as this.

therobidentity
11-01-2007, 05:23 PM
What I meant was that if you take a bribe to hold figures, it shows that you can be bought. Your morality has a price. Integrity is a part of it though, absolutely. It should not just be about whether you'll get caught. It's about doing the right thing especially if nobody's watching.

ghettoraider
11-01-2007, 05:28 PM
Personally, I have no problem at all holding merchandise for certain people. I have 4 collectors that hit my store up every morining looking for the newest stuff, you know what, if I know it's there they get it.

Simple fact is a view them as loyal customers, they come to my store every day, walk out of my store more often than not with quite a bit. In order for me to ensure that I keep thier business I need to ensure they find what they are looking for.

Those loyal customers are more important to me than Joe Schmo who shows up just because the Transformers Toys or Gi Joes are launching today.

Of course never have a taken a cash payment from these people either, closest thing I've done is asked them to pick me up a few store exclusives I wanted but couldn't get to the store due to my shift time.

If that makes me a bad person, so be it.

Lody
11-01-2007, 05:37 PM
It's about doing the right thing especially if nobody's watching.

EXACTLY!!!

therobidentity
11-01-2007, 05:54 PM
Of course never have a taken a cash payment from these people either, closest thing I've done is asked them to pick me up a few store exclusives I wanted but couldn't get to the store due to my shift time.

If that makes me a bad person, so be it.

As far as I'm concerned, that's part of the game. Holding is one thing; taking money or letting people into the back room, especially if it's not during store hours... thats where I would personally draw the line. Of course, I would feel better about it if I knew that each 'held' figure was going into the hands of someone who wants it for their own, instead of a scalper... but unless a store strictly forbids holding items, I don't see a problem with that specifically. I would think there would be limits though.

EXACTLY!!!

Hooah! ;D

thunt4
11-01-2007, 07:14 PM
Since I am going to say a different view here don't hate me. lol First the poor kid is probably making no money working there so why not. I mean comeon now hes getting like $6 to hear people yell at him all day long so if he can make a few bucks why not. Sure I would love to find these but I haven't and willl probably go to ebay for them and save a ton of money on gas instead of driving around all day. I have worked in retail before and toys r us was the worse. The managers would make a list of the "hot" toys that they needed to see and they would go through them and sell the good ones. IN that case you have someone who makes good money being greedy but if you got some kid who doesn't make crap trying to make a few bucks to get by why not. I will be one to speculate but the whole 25th anniversary figs are great but people act like they made 100 of them and thats it. Hot wheels collectors are the same way. They have to have the newest ones out first then 3 months later you see those same ones everywhere. Its a hot toy now and will continue to be but I can't see them only making so many with them selling out that fast. The companies want to make money so if you create a market and hype and make them hard to get sure you will sell every single one. Like anything new thats hot at first the price sky rockets then it comes down to a lower level.

therobidentity
11-01-2007, 07:26 PM
I think we've been over this.

It's against most stores' policies. It's conflict of interest. That's what's wrong with it. Doesn't matter if it's the manager or a stocker. You agree to abide by the store's policies, and that's usually one of them.

I worked in retail for s*** pay too. Don't get me started. I wasn't scalping stuff out of the back room to make rent though.

I think everyone should work retail, just so that they know what people go through. It isn't just kids, either; grown-ups have to put up with the same stupid customers and bad attitudes. Having worked retail myself, I am sympathetic to what they go through - but I do not for a moment think it's ok for them to scalp collectibles out of the back room. Making minimum wage and being treated poorly doesn't make it ok to break the rules. Cops are treated a lot rougher and also get low pay... does that justify them pocketing evidence to help make rent? :rolleyes:

gotproblems
11-01-2007, 08:00 PM
From what I've seen, the ENFORCED policy really varies from store to store (and I leterally mean store to store, not company to company).

When I worked at Target, the location I worked at was very strict about not holding things for yourself or "showing favoritism to one guest over another". When I bought anything, it was required that I buy it using my employee discount number and I was told that everything I bought was on record. One of the hardest working employees (not to mention a good friend) got fired when the Xbox 360 hit because he bought 2 of them (that he had understocked). I've also seen Hot Wheels collectors get kicked out of the store for trying to bribe employees to bring out cases for them or stick items aside.

However, I have been told in another target, by a team lead, that allowing team members to buy items from the stock room was a perk of the job.

The bottom line (at least for Target) is that the employees in ANY Target store are not supposed to hold items aside for themselves or anyone else. This rule is clearly stated in the employee handbook that every employee is given upon hiring. If you can verify this happening at a Target location, I would suggest contacting the district office and letting them know. Just make sure to get the Store location, the emplyees name(s), and their LOD's name (basically the team lead who is on duty at the time, if you're leary about asking the employee for this, you can ask to speak with an LOD at the Guest Service counter, just be sure to get their name).

Reporting it may not stop it completely, but it may help to curb it if they at least know that they're being watched by their superiors.

cobraferret
11-01-2007, 08:15 PM
Whether it is drugs,toys,whatever.I don't buy the making peanuts thing
People do some shady things to get extra money and always use the excuses for their wrongs.There are plenty of honest ways to get it.Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I respect that,but I don't respect greed.I know a lot of people that have 2 or more jobs to make ends meet.I also hear the excuses "well I am just a squirrel just trying to get a nut".Dishonesty affects not just the 2 involved,but affects us all in the long run.
Like I said before friends doing things for friends is one thing,but friends don't take money for favors in my opinion.That is a business acquaintance.I can guarantee if these stores ceo's or someone on top found out about this there would be a whole heap a trouble.Because they aren't getting a cut,or maybe they have some scruples still.It all still boils down to greed.

2LT VIPER
11-02-2007, 06:16 AM
As far as this incident, the guy is the store manager and he looks to be about 40. He tells me when the trucks come in so I do not complain...he knows the product like collector and knows quite a few. I stopped back buy to see 8 storm shadows and snake-eyes peg warming.

I asked him if he would help me get some of the 25th for my kids (wich is true) because Christmas is approaching and it would be cool to have some of the wave 2 and 3 stuff for them under the tree.

Anyway, I think it is terribly unfair to the public and especially to kids if collectors rake over the truck and get all the cool stuff before anyone else even has the chance to look.

Joebern28
11-02-2007, 06:12 PM
In my area my shelves are finally full of joes. I went to WM the other day and there were numerous Fireflys, Stalkers, Red Ninjas, and Zartans on the shelves. If anyone needs me to keep a lookout for these or even snag them send me a PM. I knowhow hard these were to find and when they finally showed it was an eye opening experience.-