What do you use the COBRA officers/troopers with the yellow straps for? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : What do you use the COBRA officers/troopers with the yellow straps for?

Reptilian Popinjay
10-31-2007, 05:49 PM
You know, the comic style troopers.

I think of them as the "dress blues" for COBRA soldiers. When deployed they wear the black straps.

Goldbug
11-01-2007, 12:02 AM
You know, the comic style troopers.

I think of them as the "dress blues" for COBRA soldiers. When deployed they wear the black straps.

I paint them black. :D

Super Sport
11-01-2007, 12:46 AM
crossing guards

gunslingercbr
11-01-2007, 01:06 AM
no difference as far as I am concerned. Cobra Trooper is a Cobra Trooper regardless of strap color.

therobidentity
11-01-2007, 01:35 AM
Haven't put much thought into it yet. Right now I have them in a 2x2 formation with the driver on the end and an officer in front. The black and yellow straps are in separate ranks, but it was kind of by coincedince.

I really don't have an answer. ;D I'm just happy that I was able to get my whole squad to approximate a salute from Right Shoulder Arms. They're balancing their rifles on their palms and forearms, so it's kind of precarious.

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/6814/hisssalute1ly8.jpg

http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/2728/hisssalute3yq2.jpg

BMC
11-01-2007, 09:11 AM
the yellow straps are so cobra can see at night

code red shockwave
11-01-2007, 09:28 AM
I also use them as COBRA troopers. True, these are the "old school" troopers, but they're troopers nonetheless.

stad
11-01-2007, 11:04 AM
The yellow doesn't look quite as bad as I thought it would, so now I just justify them as using older army surplus. Some of those old LBE straps would almost be that color.

dockingbay97
11-01-2007, 11:34 AM
I just think they are a different unit of soldiers with a slightly different unit uniform

skullheadman
11-01-2007, 12:10 PM
Yeah, I just use them as regular cobra troops with equipment variations too (granted, the yellow isn't too realistic, but so what?). When I was in Iraq, there were numerous differences in gear types and equipment depending on what unit the soldier was in, when and where their equipment was issued, what the latest developments were and how they were distributed, and what the soldier bought for themselves. Variations in body armor, load-bearing gear (all the pouches and bags that carry your kit), knee/elbow pads, goggles, etc., were astounding. When you consider that this is what it is like in the best equipped army in the world, it’s easy to understand that there may be some differences in Cobra's forces. I understand that it looks cool to have all of your generic troops look the same, especially when you have them amassed in a formation, but when it comes to the battlefield, not everything is as pretty or uniform.

I really don't have an answer. ;D I'm just happy that I was able to get my whole squad to approximate a salute from Right Shoulder Arms. They're balancing their rifles on their palms and forearms, so it's kind of precarious.
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/6814/hisssalute1ly8.jpg
http://img139.imageshack.us/img139/2728/hisssalute3yq2.jpg

Rob, I dig your little formation using the 25th Cobras. I always enjoyed setting up formations, ceremonies and rallies with my figs as a kid. I like your solution for making the armed troops salute. It is very reminiscent of the several Cobra troops shown saluting in a couple of scenes in Marvel’s comic #1. They had their right arms extended outward and upward (kind of like the Germans in WWII, but higher) and their left arms were bent with their fists on the Cobra sigils on their chest (just like your guys!). This was accompanied with the greeting, “All hail mighty Cobra!”. I’ve tried to find a pic online from the comic, but no luck. Anyway, I’ve always made my Cobras salute in that fashion, and it looks pretty cool (besides, Cobra wouldn’t want to conduct their drill and ceremonies and military customs and courtesies the same way as those pesky Joes! ;)

skullheadman
11-01-2007, 12:13 PM
P.S. I guess my sarcastic answer to the original question would be "I use them as easy targets for Joe snipers!"

Zombie F-Body
11-01-2007, 01:05 PM
I consider them to be the FNGs of the Cobra Trooper corp. and the colors are used to identify them as such (basically Private to PFC). Red sigils are regular enlisted (E4 or equivalent on filecard so I guess your SPCs), silver are NCOs and Officers are company grade, either infantry (wave 1 single carded) or something special (air troopers, drivers, etc,). I consider the CGs to be honor guard and the Vipers to be equivalent to SF. I consider the TRU ones to be basic troopers just in mission specific attire (like desert or woodland BDUs are used based on the theatre) same with the HISS driver, Transpo officer in mission specfic BDUs.

By the way, skullheadman, are you at Ft. Huachuca? I was there in 2000-2001. Nicest post I ever served at while on active duty (heck, after rotting for 2 years at Ft. Benning before, I guess any post would have been better!)

therobidentity
11-01-2007, 01:17 PM
...I understand that it looks cool to have all of your generic troops look the same, especially when you have them amassed in a formation, but when it comes to the battlefield, not everything is as pretty or uniform...

Rob, I dig your little formation using the 25th Cobras. I always enjoyed setting up formations, ceremonies and rallies with my figs as a kid. I like your solution for making the armed troops salute. It is very reminiscent of the several Cobra troops shown saluting in a couple of scenes in Marvelís comic #1. They had their right arms extended outward and upward (kind of like the Germans in WWII, but higher) and their left arms were bent with their fists on the Cobra sigils on their chest (just like your guys!). This was accompanied with the greeting, ďAll hail mighty Cobra!Ē. Iíve tried to find a pic online from the comic, but no luck. Anyway, Iíve always made my Cobras salute in that fashion, and it looks pretty cool (besides, Cobra wouldnít want to conduct their drill and ceremonies and military customs and courtesies the same way as those pesky Joes! ;)

Both good points... and I guess that worked out perfect then! :D

skullheadman
11-01-2007, 01:25 PM
By the way, skullheadman, are you at Ft. Huachuca? I was there in 2000-2001. Nicest post I ever served at while on active duty (heck, after rotting for 2 years at Ft. Benning before, I guess any post would have been better!)

You got it! Unless you are stationed at Huachuca, or were born here, there really isn't any other reason to come to Sierra Vista!

I find it hard to believe that you preferred Huachuca over Benning, but to each their own! I'd much rather be in Colombus and close to Atlanta than in the middle of the desert. BTW, I spent some time at Huachuca in 2001 for schooling before getting stationed here in '06. Where were you?

skullheadman
11-01-2007, 01:30 PM
:eek: Mods, I had computer issues and my last post went up three times! Could you please delete two of them? Thanks.

Edit: Thanks for taking care of that! ;)

Zombie F-Body
11-01-2007, 05:01 PM
It also dawns on me that the color differences could represent different branches, like in the regular military (infantry blue, artillery red (I think), etc.).

I was at 96b school in 2000-2001, D co. 309th MI BN. I like quiet little towns. It wasn't Mayberry, but it wasn't the big city, either. Being a typical infantryman, all we ever did was get drunk in Columbus or hang out at the Peachtree mall, so I don't remember it too well!

DPrime
11-01-2007, 05:41 PM
Well, I really ended up disliking the old comic pack troopers, but it wasn't the yellow. I haven't gotten my 25th packs with them yet but from the pics I think I'll like them a lot more. They're just filler for my regular Cobra troops, no real difference.

therobidentity
11-03-2007, 12:15 AM
crossing guards
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/9589/cobraroadguardsac2.jpg :D

I do have better things to do right now than play with my toys, but... obviously, I'm not doing them.

Super Sport
11-03-2007, 12:55 AM
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/9589/cobraroadguardsac2.jpg

I do have better things to do right now than play with my toys, but... obviously, I'm not doing them.

:D:D:D

The only thing missing is a short blue bus... :p

Phantomcopier
11-03-2007, 05:09 AM
When they sold the comic pack with CC, Baroness and the trooper they peg warmed in this area until they went on sale ($3.??). So I bought a bunch to combine the Baroness with the trooper to make female Cobra troopers. The Yellow sets the females apart. :)

Jbluez
11-03-2007, 04:47 PM
http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/9589/cobraroadguardsac2.jpg :D

Priceless. :cool: