View Full Version : Does a "Remco" website exist?

Northwinds
12-17-2007, 02:37 PM
Is there a website dedicated to all the GI-Joe knock-off lines made by Remco?
Like Sgt. Rock and others.
I would really appreciate a link to it if it exists!

Thanks,
Peter

skullheadman
12-17-2007, 02:53 PM
While some of Remco's figure lines, including the original Bronze Bombers, were definitely Joe knock-offs, Sgt. Rock first debuted in comics in 1959. However, the team of figures that went along with the Sgt. Rock line do seem to mirror the Joe team more than Rock's WWII platoon. But Rock was probably on his way home from his war when Joe Colton was still in diapers and before Hawk was even born, so he's definitely not a knock-off as far as characters go. Sgt. Savage was, however, basically Sgt. Rock re-done with a whole new "thawed-out-from-WWII" storyline. I actually used a 30th anniversary 3 3'4" Action Soldier figure, with dress blues Gung-ho's stripes and an Eagle Force Thompson SMG as Sgt. Savage (Rock) for my ARAH figs.

BTW, sorry I couldn't provide any help with your question, and I apologize for acting like a know-it-all if you were already aware of this info. It would be cool though if someone out there knew of such a site! I still have some cool night vision googles and little survival knives from my Remco figures that I use with my Joes!

Outback87
12-17-2007, 03:19 PM
Not that I've found. I was researching Remco a while back because I wanted to pitch an article to an antique toy magazine.

I'll keep looking. I'd wanted to find some good pics of the Sgt. Rock line, because that's what started my collection in '82!

Bill

Northwinds
12-17-2007, 03:51 PM
Thanks to both of you for the response and information!

Last week I sold off all my Remco, Lanard and such ,action figures in 1 lot. (well except 1 that I forgot)
Now I am getting interested in these items (very smart selling them first and then getting interested :) ) and would like to know more.
I did find 2 Corps sites already.

The 1 figure I still have is from Remco.
Anyone have any idea from which toy line?
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a61/northwinds/MVC-011S-5.jpg

Thanks,
Peter

wilox
12-17-2007, 04:43 PM
I would also like to see a website for the sgt rock line. I only have 1 figure i picked up the other day here is a pic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v212/wilox/sgtrock.jpg

claw
12-17-2007, 06:31 PM
www.action-figures.ca has a lot of remco info.

Erick
12-17-2007, 07:43 PM

Are you sure that figure is from Remco?

Looks to me like an early Corps figure

Northwinds
12-18-2007, 01:36 AM
Are you sure that figure is from Remco?

Looks to me like an early Corps figure

On his butt it says "1988 Remco Toys Inc. Made in China"

Peter

Northwinds
12-18-2007, 03:40 AM
I was told on another Joe forum that the figure is called Commando Hank from American Force.

roboticplanet
12-19-2007, 11:20 AM
There isn't a Sgt. Rock listing, but I think http://www.toymania.com/334archives/ has some Remco in the mix.

Captain-DC
12-23-2007, 07:37 PM
While some of Remco's figure lines, including the original Bronze Bombers, were definitely Joe knock-offs, Sgt. Rock first debuted in comics in 1959. However, the team of figures that went along with the Sgt. Rock line do seem to mirror the Joe team more than Rock's WWII platoon. But Rock was probably on his way home from his war when Joe Colton was still in diapers and before Hawk was even born, so he's definitely not a knock-off as far as characters go. Sgt. Savage was, however, basically Sgt. Rock re-done with a whole new "thawed-out-from-WWII" storyline. I actually used a 30th anniversary 3 3'4" Action Soldier figure, with dress blues Gung-ho's stripes and an Eagle Force Thompson SMG as Sgt. Savage (Rock) for my ARAH figs.

BTW, sorry I couldn't provide any help with your question, and I apologize for acting like a know-it-all if you were already aware of this info. It would be cool though if someone out there knew of such a site! I still have some cool night vision googles and little survival knives from my Remco figures that I use with my Joes!

Just a quick note: Bronze Bombers series 1 and series 2 were both done by Olmec and are not Remco figures. I have all Bronze Bombers and many Remco figures also. Olmec and Remco are both gone now. Remco did hundreds of different series and lasted into the 1990's then they were gone.... It's a shame they ended.... :(

By: Captain-DC
12/23/2007

Captain-DC
12-23-2007, 07:47 PM
Thanks to both of you for the response and information!

Last week I sold off all my Remco, Lanard and such ,action figures in 1 lot. (well except 1 that I forgot)
Now I am getting interested in these items (very smart selling them first and then getting interested) :) and would like to know more.
I did find 2 Corps sites already.

Thanks,
Peter

The figure is (Commando Hank) but (Commando Hank) was released as part of Remco's "US Forces" series.

I have 24 "US Forces" figures and (Commando Hank) is part of that series.

But Remco did do many of the same figures as repaints for other lines like American Defense but the figures names were different than what they were for the US Forces series.

So if anyone has these style figures they could be US Forces or American Defense depending on the color they are wearing of course.

And again Remco did many other series with other names as well. So they are endless. As Remco was well known for making hundreds of these style figures and doing them as repaints many times under several different lines.

But the two most common series they made were US Forces and American Defense.

I have many Remco figures and they were a great line. I miss them now i go to the stores who used to carry them and they no longer have them now. And it takes me back many years to when they did have them. :)

Anyways i hope that helped.
By: Captain-DC
12/23/2007

Also just a Note: That American Defense series was mainly known as an Exclusive series for K-Mart stores. Other stores carried other Remco series like US Forces for example. Also to note: That their is also another series called American Defense that was only at K-Mart stores as well in the 1990's... But it was a Series then made by Toymax and was not related in any way to the older Remco American Defense series. So if you by chance see some other American Defense figures and they look different those are most likely the Toymax series made later. The legs are not "O-Ring" style. So you can tell they are not the same company in this case. He! He! I collected many of those as well. And i miss those also. The past had way more better 3 3/4" figure lines than what we have now. BooHoo!

Falcone
01-02-2009, 02:22 AM
Captain DC, if you are still around do you have more info on the Toymax k-mart figures? Any pics or anything? Was it the same as these figures (http://cgi.ebay.com/G-I-Joe-like-action-figures-M-P-A-C-T-by-Toymax_W0QQitemZ170291016845QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_ DefaultDomain_0?hash=item170291016845&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A4%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C 240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A200)?

About the original topic, does any site or archive exist? Since Hasbro no longer satisfies my need for ARAH Joes, I have to look to older lines. Remco has so much stuff and I can find so little information. There's the poorly articulated Sgt Rock figures, the ARAH style Sgt Patch and later A-Team figures, and the US Forces/American Defense (etc) lines.
Edit: Within minutes of typing this I discovered Remco's ARAH style Pirates of the Evil Seas.

PS: I love when Google searches bring me to Yojoe.:p

Deadman2099
01-02-2009, 11:42 AM
I dunno if Cap DC is still around, but I do remember the ad for Kmart's American Defense toyline on the backs of a lot of comic books. I may have to flip through some to see if I can't find the ad. I remember having that Commando Hank, and a machine gun nest set from that line.

Also, From Remco, I remember mostly the BAD GUYS line, since in 1982, Cobra and Cobra Officer were both very hard to find at first. So we wound up getting a bunch of the Bad Guy figures to fight GI JOE.

archaicnorth
01-07-2013, 11:54 PM
I have a 1991 Remco Pirates of the Evil Seas "Blackbeard" figure if anyone is intersted. Mint condition.

action-figures.ca
02-12-2013, 12:02 AM
Is he carded or loose?