Build a Tanks for the Memories tank contest [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Build a Tanks for the Memories tank contest

dockingbay97
01-06-2008, 09:37 PM
How about we have a Build a Tanks for the Memories tank contest?

The goal is to custom build either tank that we should have received for our Steeler and Rip It convention figures.

You can use any tank - not just the Mauler - and not just made by Hasbro - however it must be a tank and it must be in scale to the 3 3/4" figures.

One entry per person - it can be either the Joe or Cobra tank. You can make both if you want but only officially enter one.

The winner will be selected by a popular vote.

The deadline can be either 30 or 60 days - depending on what you all think is fair.

So far no prize - just bragging rights and the fun of building it.

Any takers?

Snake-eyes01
01-06-2008, 10:50 PM
Sounds like fun! I think I have a few tank shells lying around, I'd be willing to join if it gets going! :)

GBPackRat
01-06-2008, 10:52 PM
Nick,

I know it isn't much, but its a start. I'd be willing to get things started by putting up a Jungle Viper as part of the prize.

Perhaps others whom don't plan to participate would be willing to throw other stuff into the pot.

Tanner

dockingbay97
01-06-2008, 11:19 PM
I have very little customing experience but I have an idea for my Rip it figure.

Because of that I thought of the popular vote.

And didn't to offer a prize.

However if there are others that want to give a prize, that would be cool.

I might need to make myself un-eligible to win though.

CGC
01-07-2008, 01:51 PM
I think it's a great idea - I was thinking about making one anyway. You mentioned 30 or 60 days, I think 60 would be better, that way there is extra time for anybody who doesn't have parts on hand to find them.

One more possible twist - make the prize a kitty. Anybody who would like to enter adds something small to the prize cache. The final winner could be chosen in a poll, & everybody who entered sends their offering to the winner.

Just a thought, & it could make it a very interesting contest!

Snake-eyes01
01-07-2008, 07:37 PM
One more possible twist - make the prize a kitty. Anybody who would like to enter adds something small to the prize cache. The final winner could be chosen in a poll, & everybody who entered sends their offering to the winner.

Just a thought, & it could make it a very interesting contest!

I think that's a great idea! I'd be willing to put a MOC 25th Figure of some sort into the pot!

dockingbay97
01-07-2008, 08:08 PM
So it sounds like there will be at least 3 of us making tanks and that should be enough to get started - hopefully more will join up.

How about March 15 5pm pacific for a deadline? That is just over 60 days giving any late joiners enough time.

GI Joanne
01-07-2008, 08:12 PM
I'm in for a 60 day build and I can add a couple DTC Troopers to the Kitty.It'll be my first custom so I dont expect to win,but it'll be fun to try.

Snake-eyes01
01-07-2008, 09:38 PM
So it sounds like there will be at least 3 of us making tanks and that should be enough to get started - hopefully more will join up.

How about March 15 5pm pacific for a deadline? That is just over 60 days giving any late joiners enough time.

Awesome!! I'll get started on one right away! :)

Snake-eyes01
01-09-2008, 09:50 PM
If anyone needs a Mauler, Mobat, or Wolverine shell (no parts of any kind included) for this contest I have extras! They are all in good condition, just pay postage & they're yours. I can send pics if needed. LMK

CGC
01-17-2008, 03:08 PM
I started painting today, but I think I'll have make a few small modifications to actually turn it into a tank (it's close, but not really there). That Krylon Fusion 2326 looked a little dark based on the can cap, but the colour is almost perfect once it's sprayed on. I'll get the rest of it - non-blue parts, shot tomorrow, or at least that's what I'm hoping. I think I'll be ordering a few decal sheets from GI Joe Heaven soon to give it a more finished look.

Anybody else going yet? How about the kitty, are we going to announce what we'll be sending or leave it as a surprise?

dockingbay97
01-18-2008, 12:19 PM
I have a three day weekend this weekend so I hope the weather is ok because I want to spray my tank then. I think I am using an entirely different tank than any of you. That kind of excites me as I would love to see several different takes on the tank.

Snake-eyes01
01-18-2008, 09:10 PM
I've started mine but I'm at a standstill due to parts! Sounds like there is gonna be some pretty cool customs. :)

ttfndude
01-21-2008, 08:50 PM
thanks to Snake-Eyes01 I will have a tank soon I can customize. This is my first vehicle custom what are we looking to connect it too the figures appearance????

ttfndude

PS my kitty prize to come

dockingbay97
01-22-2008, 08:42 AM
The goal is to make a tank for either one of the MC figures - Steeler or Rip It that should have had a tank to go with them. They don't need to look exactly like MC's mock ups - just inspired by them.

Eojam
01-29-2008, 01:31 PM
I'll add a mail away Storm Shadow and get started on my tank...

jOE

dockingbay97
01-29-2008, 09:56 PM
I don't think I am going to make the deadline so I am out - but I will still make the tank.

I found out I need to move apartments so I have some SERIOUS packing to do.

dockingbay97
02-07-2008, 12:35 AM
How are everyone's tanks coming? Do we need more time?

CGC
02-07-2008, 08:34 AM
Mine's going great, but was moved to the back shelf for awhile. I really don't think it'll be a problem to get it wrapped up by the 15th of next month though.

Snake-eyes01
02-07-2008, 09:22 AM
Mine's coming along pretty well. I think I still have plenty of time, I should be done by then.

dockingbay97
02-07-2008, 09:37 AM
Cool - just checking. I can't wait to see what you guys have.

Eojam
02-07-2008, 04:34 PM
I've got all the screws out and the parts apart and will be getting some paint (hopefully) Friday. I think I should be finding some stickers, though...

jOE

ttfndude
02-07-2008, 09:09 PM
I should have mine done. I am going to start this weekend. Do you have a link to the mock-ups we are suppossed to get our inspiration from???

ttfndude

CGC
02-08-2008, 08:42 AM
I should have mine done. I am going to start this weekend. Do you have a link to the mock-ups we are suppossed to get our inspiration from???

ttfndude
The top pic here shows both tanks. (http://www.mastercollector.com/neat/gijoe/atlanta/07souvenirs.cfm)

This is most of the rest of the set. (http://www.mastercollector.com/neat/gijoe/atlanta/RAHpreview.cfm)

ttfndude
02-21-2008, 09:47 PM
So mine is about done but it is not like super duper or nothing it is my first custom so I wasn't sure how crazy to get. It would have been cool to see something else in my head other than the close relation to the mockup. I need to print some decals anyone know where to get a small crisp cobra insignia???

Thanks

ttfndude

CGC
02-22-2008, 07:53 AM
GIJOE Heaven (http://gijoeheaven.com/catalog.asp?CategoryID=7) has decal sheets. There are quite a few others, too, but these are the only ones I know of off hand that aren't vehicle-specific.

Falcone
02-22-2008, 12:51 PM
I was just wondering how far from the mock-ups we can get?

dockingbay97
02-22-2008, 01:56 PM
You can use any tank you want but you should try to keep it at some sort of tank. For instance if you reworked a VAMP for this contest, it probably wouldn't cut it. You can enter something else than a tank but remember when it comes to voting, you may not win because you didn't build an actual tank.

And you don't need to use a Hasbro GI Joe tank if you don't want to. It just needs to be 1:18 scale - you need to be able to man it with Joes or Cobras.

Falcone
02-22-2008, 05:41 PM
I'm joining up pretty late, but I should still make the deadline. I also have a 25th figure I can throw into the prize pool (if there is going to be one).

CGC
03-04-2008, 05:57 PM
Had a little bit of an incident today with my tank. Paint was all on & dried. I had assembled it a couple weeks ago to make sure everything still fit & turned where it should. Today I took it back apart to apply the decals (just the way I do it - fewer things in the way), left it on the kitchen table briefly while I had to visit the, ah, wc. Came back, & there were many more pieces than when I'd left, & most of them were on the floor.

My wife does daycare, & generally they are all down for a nap between Noon & ½ past. I thought it would be safe to turn away for a few minutes, but either somebody woke up early, got back from preschool, wouldn't sleep, whatever...

Anyway, I was re-working a Maggot. I still have something else to show pics of, but since it's not a tank I'm dropping from the contest. I do still have something to add for the winner, though. Only 1½ weeks to go - if you haven't started painting time is going to be getting tight soon!

Falcone
03-06-2008, 04:20 PM
So theres no chance of repair CGC? I just got the final part I needed in the mail today. Now I can finally start painting.
Is it required to have a custom driver for the tank?

Eojam
03-10-2008, 01:40 AM
Tick, tick, tick... We're getting closer. I'm so close to being done, I didn't know it was going to take so long to get a hold of some paint and then actually get it painted. The tank's been apart for more than a month, stupid full-time job. I found some stickers in my garage and am ready to finish up the final details of painting then put it together and add the stickers. How do we go about posting pictures and is there a format for it like how many pics and who all gets to vote? I'm so happy about this, the paint job came out better than I thought it would. I've never done a custom vehicle yet, only a few figures. Also, is there only going to be one grand prize winner or are there going to be a first place, second and third? If everyone who's entering the contest is putting up a prize piece, then I think there should be enough to go around for a few people. Is there a count of entries? I'm so looking forward to seeing all these weapons of destruction...

jOE

Falcone
03-10-2008, 04:18 PM
I was wondering how many people were in this also.

Snake-eyes01
03-10-2008, 10:59 PM
Dockingbay,
I've finished my custom Tank & will take pictures tomorrow. I'm not sure how to post pics within a post only links to my pics on photobucket, will that work? Thanks!

CGC
03-11-2008, 04:13 PM
Falcone -
Nope, no chance of gluing the pieces together. Fusion is a great paint, & it cal actually put a little pliability back into old plastic, but if Krylon painted parts break, most glues will just act like gasoline on styrofoam once it's been put on those parts. I do have a nice custom to show (I posted one pic of it a couple weeks back) & I still have something to add to the prize pile so it's still all good. :D

Snake-eyes01
03-11-2008, 07:26 PM
Here's my custom entry pictures as promised! I hope you all enjoy it, the pics don't really do it justice but I think they came out pretty good. Sorry for all the other pictures in my album! I'm not too sure how to narrow it down to only my custom pics without deleting the others!

http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s197/snake-eyes01/?albumview=link

I wanted to make a tank for the Convention Rip-It figure so I thought the H.I.S.S. tank was the best choice. I tried to make the color scheme go with the figure's blue/black colors. IMO the chin guns & side missile launchers were a bit much so first thing I did was get rid of them. All doors & missile launcher are fully functional.
The parts I used are:
Vehicle: 2005 DTC Cobra H.I.S.S.
Rear door: slightly modified 1985 Killer W.H.A.L.E. front main door.
Missile Launchers & missiles: 1983 Wolverine modified.
Stickers: J Ruben He does Awesome work!

Thanks for the opportunity, it was fun! :)

Eojam
03-14-2008, 01:05 PM
Here's my entry for the contest...hope I win!!! So, who votes? How many prize winners? How many prizes??? How many more questions????

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/tag/606181948.html

jOE

Falcone
03-14-2008, 02:01 PM
This is the COBRA STUN MK-2 (http://www.jjscornerplace.com/Vehicles.htm)
Unlike the MK-1, the MK-2 is much heavier and protects its crew. I have done blue tank customs in the past and do not really like the way it looks. In my Joeverse, most Cobra vehicles are black (HISS, STINGER, etc), and the support equipment blue (ASP). Also, the STUN is black and red, but sports a blue driver. I never understood why, but it gives me a reason to paint the MK-2 black.
Two things I am not happy about are the decals, which were old so they had to be glued on, and you can see the glue spots. The old decal residue can still be seen in a few spots. And second, I just finished painted two days ago, and the paint must not have been completely dry. There are a few minor paint rubs, thought they cannot be seen in the pictures.
Parts used-
Mauler body and turret bottom
Whirlwind turret top and gun
Mortar Defense sandbags
Bomb Disposal plows
Mobile Battle Bunker front bumper

dockingbay97
03-14-2008, 02:45 PM
I wish I could have made my tank - that emergency move I had really ate into my time.

There are some great tanks already entered.

If some of you aren't done and need more time, feel free to ask. It would take a general consensus for all those entered if they want the date pushed back.

CGC
03-14-2008, 05:11 PM
Here's my un-entry, plenty more pics, just click on it:

http://eastcowdrybootleggers.us/Joe/cobrathunder.jpg (http://eastcowdrybootleggers.us/Joe/tanks_for_the_thunder/tanks_for_the_thunder.htm)

ttfndude
03-15-2008, 05:46 PM
It actually didn't get finished imagine a Cobra emblem on front and the word cobra across the back like a license plate. My very first vehicle custom go t interupted by a new baby, a heart attack, and a divorce but it got mostly done. :D Hope you like

http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f75/ttfndude/Tank%20Contest/

I used an airbrush gun for everything but the red lines which were hand done, everything works and rolls great even the brushed wheels which were the hardest part probably.

ttfndude

Eojam
03-15-2008, 09:45 PM
When do we vote?

CGC
03-15-2008, 10:05 PM
I don't think all the entries are in yet, but once they are maybe a poll could be made.

skeletoncrew
03-15-2008, 10:13 PM
Here's my un-entry, plenty more pics, just click on it:

http://eastcowdrybootleggers.us/Joe/cobrathunder.jpg (http://eastcowdrybootleggers.us/Joe/tanks_for_the_thunder/tanks_for_the_thunder.htm)

i have seen a few of this base used for a Cobra version and i love them ALL!!! yours is REALLY slick and came out great, LOVE the 25th compatibility(i know that wasn't you)...keep 'em coming!!!

i like the name Rolling Terror/T.E.R.R.O.R. for the name of this vehicle because it is basically a rolling Terrordrome(one i saw had Firebat type thing instead of the big SCUD type missiles)...i have no idea what T.E.R.R.O.R. could stand for, but people are clever out there...

I don't think all the entries are in yet, but once they are maybe a poll could be made.

cool, can't wait to vote...LOTS of fun guys!!!

GI Joanne
03-16-2008, 07:47 AM
Sorry guys-I was'nt able to complete my Tank.I had some troubles getting all the parts I needed.By waiting for the parts to come in I was'nt able to paint my Tank.I'm also waiting on the decals.

I don't think its fair to ask for an extension being that everyone else is ready.Also I've seen the entries and know what I'm up against so I feel its like cheating on a test.I'll still contribute to the prize pool so it can be juicier for the winner.I know it can be expensive to make these customs and the more thats in the pool the better for the winner.

When my Tank is finally done I will post pics and a parts list in this thread for everyone to see.

Falcone
03-16-2008, 06:35 PM
I would have no problem giving you, or anyone more time who needs it. I was lucky when it came to getting my parts, and i still finished only a day before the deadline. I even didn't get my new decals in the mail so I had to use decals that are over 2 years old.

Snake-eyes01
03-18-2008, 07:55 PM
So, what's the status of the contest?

dockingbay97
03-19-2008, 09:40 AM
Sorry, I was waiting to see if those who entered where willing to give the stragglers anymore time.

So is there four entries?

Snake-Eyes01
CGC
Falcone
Eojam

Did I miss anyone?

John Missal
03-19-2008, 10:30 AM
Ick, this is the first time I've ever seen this thread, wish I'd seen it two weeks ago. BTW, Falcone, I love the plow on the front of the Stun MK II. I had that same thought for my Warhammer Baneblade.

John M.

Snake-eyes01
03-19-2008, 02:15 PM
Sorry, I was waiting to see if those who entered where willing to give the stragglers anymore time.

So is there four entries?

Snake-Eyes01
CGC
Falcone
Eojam

Did I miss anyone?

That sounds right but I'd be willing to give GI Joanne more time if she needs it as long as everyone else agrees.

CGC
03-20-2008, 05:13 PM
There is now a poll (http://www.yojoe.com/reviews/customs/tanksforthememories.shtml) in the Customs section (http://www.yojoe.com/reviews/customs/) of the Sit-Rep (http://www.yojoe.com/reviews/).

Snake-eyes01
03-20-2008, 09:08 PM
Cool, thanks!! I just voted! :)

ttfndude
03-21-2008, 07:53 AM
guess mine wasn't good enough to make the cut. Oh well it was my first custom thanks

ttfndude

CGC
03-21-2008, 09:55 AM
guess mine wasn't good enough to make the cut. Oh well it was my first custom thanks

ttfndude
Oops, oversight -sorry about that. It's there (http://www.yojoe.com/reviews/customs/tanksforthememories.shtml) now, we're only one day into it, so there shouldn't be much of an effect because of it.

Eojam
03-21-2008, 02:29 PM
Are we allowed to vote on our own tank???

grunt 4 mvp
03-21-2008, 06:23 PM
Been watching the thread for a while - just voted!

I was impressed with all your entries. Nice job everyone!

CGC
03-21-2008, 08:37 PM
Are we allowed to vote on our own tank???
This is dockingbay97's contest, but I would think so. If you think yours is the best, that's what you should vote for.

I don't think this has to be a private poll, so this is how I voted.

I didn't vote for mine because, honestly, it really isn't even a tank. Snake-Eyes01 and Falcone both have great looking customs, but to me they don't quite fit the theme of the con. When it came down between Eojam and ttfndude it was tough. They both seemed to have the same or close to the same sense of presence that the Mauler would've had - really good, classic TANK form, if that makes any sense. I finally went with ttfndude's because, well, it's a Mobat! I liked Eojam's colors a little better, but not quite enough to tip it back in his favor.

Anybody else care to share why they voted for which?

Falcone
03-21-2008, 09:46 PM
I can't see the results of the poll without voting again...

CGC
03-21-2008, 10:41 PM
I can't see the results of the poll without voting again...
I think when I added ttfndude's tank it reset the cookies. If anybody voted before that they'll be able to slip in a second vote - anybody voting after that will still be counted as having voted. At that time there were only ½ a dozen votes, and no more than a 2 vote difference between any entries. If the final two are closer than that we can deal with it then.

Falcone
03-23-2008, 01:00 AM
I didn't vote for mine because, honestly, it really isn't even a tank. Snake-Eyes01 and Falcone both have great looking customs, but to me they don't quite fit the theme of the con. When it came down between Eojam and ttfndude it was tough. They both seemed to have the same or close to the same sense of presence that the Mauler would've had - really good, classic TANK form, if that makes any sense. I finally went with ttfndude's because, well, it's a Mobat! I liked Eojam's colors a little better, but not quite enough to tip it back in his favor.

Anybody else care to share why they voted for which?

I voted for ttfndude's tank too, mostly for the reasons you listed.

dockingbay97
03-27-2008, 07:59 AM
Of course you can vote for your own tank.

Lets give it to the end of the day on the 31st for voting.

Falcone
03-31-2008, 05:44 PM
It looks like CGC will be winning the contest. I started to make a strong comeback the past few days but not near enough.

dockingbay97
04-01-2008, 09:35 AM
And the winner is ... CGC - congrats and thanks for all the cool entries!
It was close in the end.

Snake-Eyes01 - DTC HISS
46 (24 %)
CGC - Rolling Thunder
52 (27 %)
Falcone - Mauler/Whirlwind
45 (24 %)
Eojam - Bravo Team Forces of Valor tank
31 (16 %)
ttfndude - Mobat
13 (6 %)
Total votes: 187

Snake-eyes01
04-01-2008, 10:18 AM
Wow! It was close! Congrats CGC, your custom was great! :)

CGC
04-01-2008, 01:01 PM
Thanks for the votes guys, it was fun!

I wonder if everybody who was going to throw in something for the prize could do me a favor. I didn't really plan to enter this in the contest, & don't have much room on my desk for mail right now anyway (just a slob, I guess I should tidy up). If you were going to send something to the contest winner, instead drop something off at your local food shelf - a couple cans of soup, some mac & cheese, some bigger grocery stores even have gift certificates now, which would cover perishables. Thanks!

& Thanks to dockingbay97 for the great contest!

Snake-eyes01
04-01-2008, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the votes guys, it was fun!

I wonder if everybody who was going to throw in something for the prize could do me a favor. I didn't really plan to enter this in the contest, & don't have much room on my desk for mail right now anyway (just a slob, I guess I should tidy up). If you were going to send something to the contest winner, instead drop something off at your local food shelf - a couple cans of soup, some mac & cheese, some bigger grocery stores even have gift certificates now, which would cover perishables. Thanks!

& Thanks to dockingbay97 for the great contest!

Wow, that is really cool of you! I'd be glad to drop something off at the local shelter. They also have some clothing drop-off containers at Wal-Mart's around here as well!

ttfndude
04-01-2008, 10:06 PM
CGC I can do that.......but I think the votes were so close between us we should have a recount (but wait till I get all my family signed up on the board):rolleyes:

ttfndude

Eojam
04-02-2008, 04:37 AM
Congratulations, CGC. I will now be offering my tank for sale or trade as it is useless to me. I actually want to make more. I have three more tanks I can repaint and that was so much fun. I need some more TRU Rattler sticker sheets, though. If anyone has any access to these stickers, I can buy or trade for them. I've got some flag/battle points, POP stickers, comics, a few figures...I'd really like to get a hold of some more sticker sheets...