View Full Version : Anyone seen the new Rambo movie?

joebahama
01-26-2008, 09:57 PM
I saw it tonight and I thought it was good. Don't want to spoil it for anyone so I won't say anymore other than...........

SPOILER

I hope that that mercenary squad gets made into a 3 3/4" toyline that would be so cool.

Erick
01-26-2008, 10:09 PM
Really? All i've heard so far are complains

XtremeWRATH360
01-26-2008, 10:20 PM
Not yet, i plan on seeing it this week though.

TheReverend
01-26-2008, 11:02 PM
Wow there's a new Rambo film?... guess I'm out of the loop, or they are doing a poor job marketing, it 'cause I had no idea :confused:

Either way I'll wait till it's out on DVD and I can get it from netflix...

dockingbay97
01-27-2008, 12:25 AM
Really? All i've heard so far are complains

Really? I haven't seen it but all I hear is it is the best of the series - even saw some critics like it. I did also hear it is really violent.

Erick
01-27-2008, 12:41 AM
Really? I haven't seen it but all I hear is it is the best of the series - even saw some critics like it. I did also hear it is really violent.

The comments i've heard are basically regarding Stallone's appearance in certain scenes where he just seems 'old' :o

Mr Rage
01-27-2008, 12:52 AM
I saw the movie this afternoon and all I can say is....Holy Moses!

The action is well paced...some of the acting is iffy...some dialogue is corny...the gore...my God...the gore in this movie is tremendous. I loved it!

Stallone does appear "old" in this...but for being 60-something the guy is still in incredible shape. He doesn't have a lot of lines...but he more than makes up for it with his screen prescense alone and that granite stare of his.

I'd say it's the best Rambo in the series...just inching past Rambo 2 in my book. It's a total throwback to those uber action movies from the 80's most of us grew up on.

I actually might go see it again. The theme of coming full circle is what got me hooked as I watched it.

Go see it and take others who love action movies.

Mr Rage

Erick
01-27-2008, 12:55 AM
I'd say it's the best Rambo in the series...just inching past Rambo 2 in my book. It's a total throwback to those uber action movies from the 80's most of us grew up on

Is it even bloodier than Rambo 2!? :eek:

What about the body count?

Mr Rage
01-27-2008, 08:50 AM
It's 10 times more bloody than Rambo 2.

Here's a link to a body count tally:

http://worldofwonder.net/archives/2008/Jan/22/dead_and_deader.wow

Mr Rage

joebahama
01-27-2008, 09:08 AM
Is it even bloodier than Rambo 2!? :eek:

What about the body count?

Rambo 2 is no comparison, this is pure violence. Really , really gruesome. My wife closed her eyes so many times and she swore to never see this movie again. Even the open scenes of Saving Private Ryan can't compare. I love this movie. I felt like I missed something between the 80s and now.
Now GIVE ME AN ACTION FIGURE!!!

airedevon
01-27-2008, 05:59 PM
[QUOTE=joebahama] My wife closed her eyes so many times and she swore to never see this movie again. QUOTE]

Joebahama, I understand completely how your wife felt - I too, closed my eyes during several scenes, and even covered my face while I cried - sobbed - a couple of times (so as to not bother the people sitting next to me)

The scenes are really powerful!

The movie is really powerful!

I will, however, go see it again... The pure simplicity of the message is so compelling - and, to my mind, so important!

Aire

joss789
01-27-2008, 06:29 PM
I saw Rambo this afternoon and i realy love it. Very bloody, hard but awesome. Stallone is in great shape. It's good to see that kind of movie again.
I recommend this movie to every fan of Rambo, you won't be disappointed.

karamazov80
01-27-2008, 08:13 PM
I just got back from seeing it, too. Some serious, serious violence, and very tough to watch at times --SPOILER--especially the opening scene with the landmine game--END SPOILER ;) Good movie, though. In response to airedevon, not sure exactly what the message is supposed to be, though. Maybe that the only good in this world has to come from the barrel of a gun, since man's core instincts are to oppress, threaten, hurt, and kill his fellow man, and a moral man has to kill all the bad men? Maybe that "you can go home again." I don't know. Not sure that Stallone knows, either, as there are definitely some contradictory values being touted at various points in the film (intentionally). Good movie, anyway. A nice book-end for the Rambo trilogy, as I think this movie is the second best of the series (after First Blood, obviously).

airedevon
01-27-2008, 10:40 PM
The message I got - both from watching the movie and from hearing interviews with Stallone talking about it - is:

War is awfull - REALLY, truly, awfull - bringing to the surface man's inhumanity to man
And those who, in the face of war, are able to retain moral courage -- are outnumbered on the landscape of this world...

This movie, and First Blood, are his 2 strongest anti-war movies.

He also said that one of his main goals with this movie, was to call attention to what is going on in Burma...That the world has turned a blind eye for too long (60 years it's been going on!) And that the violence shown in the movie is only a small part of what is actually going on there,,,

Dreadnok4life
01-28-2008, 03:39 AM
My wife and I saw Rambo on Sunday. What a great film. I have to say I enjoyed Rambo more than any film I've seen in recent memory. And I usually watch a couple movies a week. I thought Stallone looked pretty good for a guy who is 60 years old.

My favorite portions were the first appearance of the bow and arrow, and of course the end battle.. Holy smokes there was carnage a plenty! It made the shootout in HEAT look like a paintball game.

I really have to give Stallone props for this one.. I'm thinking of going to go see it again.

DevilKing
01-28-2008, 04:17 AM
Anyone seen the new Rambo movie?

I've only seen some of the orginal one. I honestly, even at that age, can't understand how anyone could find anything this man does interesting. And now that he looks like a Madame Tussauds' exhibit someone left in a car on a hot afternoon, I find him even less interesting. The human growth hormone doesn't seem to be doing him much good.

Erick
01-28-2008, 08:49 AM
The human growth hormone doesn't seem to be doing him much good.

Nominated for quote of the year :D

Dreadnok4life
01-28-2008, 06:59 PM
I've only seen some of the orginal one. I honestly, even at that age, can't understand how anyone could find anything this man does interesting. And now that he looks like a Madame Tussauds' exhibit someone left in a car on a hot afternoon, I find him even less interesting. The human growth hormone doesn't seem to be doing him much good.

Since you didn't see the movie, I don't understand how you can comment on what he looks like in it. I hope I look that good when I'm 60. Most 60 year old men can't even urinate without problems. Based on Stallone's appearance I'm betting he can out lift anyone on this board.

The movie was fantastic, if you are into action / military movies. Now if you're a fan of Driving Miss Daisy or On Golden Pond, you would want to stay away from Rambo. Stallone has made some awful movies. But he has also made some good ones. And Rambo is one of his better ones. I would rate it third behind the first Rocky and First Blood.

Dreadnok4life
01-28-2008, 07:20 PM
Here is an interview with Stallone about the new movie.. He doesn't look so terrible to me..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYFuwJ-mLtk

And a trailer..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR3N-g22gJ0

joebahama
01-28-2008, 07:34 PM

I am not a huge fan of Stallone by any stretch of the imagination, however , I found this film enjoyable because of personal preferences. Nevertheless, I try not to be judgemental of others preferences. I have encounted many strange preferences on this very board, but as I aforementioned its based on my own preferences and value system. As for Stallon's appearance , I would give him props just based on the way he moved in this film. For a sixty one year to make this type movie and perform they way he did is commendable. Whether or not he used performance enhancing means is irrelevant in my book by the fact that he is such a senior citizen and it wasn't an easy achievement.

DevilKing
01-28-2008, 07:55 PM
Since you didn't see the movie, I don't understand how you can comment on what he looks like in it. I hope I look that good when I'm 60. Most 60 year old men can't even urinate without problems. Based on Stallone's appearance I'm betting he can out lift anyone on this board.

The movie was fantastic, if you are into action / military movies. Now if you're a fan of Driving Miss Daisy or On Golden Pond, you would want to stay away from Rambo. Stallone has made some awful movies. But he has also made some good ones. And Rambo is one of his better ones. I would rate it third behind the first Rocky and First Blood.

I can comment on it because I've seen him talking and I've seen him in clips from the film, it's called advertising. I didn't say the movie sucked, I said I haven't seen it and why. It may very well be the best of his career. (Which isn't saying much) I'm not a particularly big fan of either movie you mentioned, but if I had to pick one, I'd go with Driving Miss Daisy, what's-her-names best movie since Batteries Not Included. (That was sarcasm, if you didn't realize) I love war movies; Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, Bridge on the River Kwai, Full Metal Jacket, Apocolpse Now, etc. But what I am not a fan of are Stallone movies, and more directly, Stallone himself. Every language-mangling syllable that fights it's way out of his face hurts my ears and his acting skills are on par with the Governator. (But, he's at least been in a few movies where acting wasn't a critical aspect of his participation.) Rocky? No thank you. Blah!

(I don't understand professional sports movies any more than I do watching a football game on television. I've never been able to wrap my mind around people caring who wins a game they themselves are not playing. I love to play sports, but watching them makes no sense to me.)

All that being said, I never said you couldn't like his movies or were less intelligent because you do. What you like is all up to you. I, personally, find Stallone hard to stomach. And he's aged to the point where his bulldozer face has slowly turned into a Mack Truck with a moldy car cover on it. But, I'm sure he can urinate without needing a pill. I'm sure he realizes those issues come at that age more because of the crap we eat and the poison on our super market shelves than they do because we're getting older.

EDIT: Jessica Tandy! That's her name...Jessica Tandy.

DevilKing
01-28-2008, 08:05 PM
Whether or not he used performance enhancing means is irrelevant in my book

Is hGH a performance enhancer?

cobraferret
01-28-2008, 10:48 PM
Is hGH a performance enhancer?
Yes it is,but I think you already knew that;)
Anyways I won't be going to see this movie.I was going to,but after reading this thread I am glad I didn't.
Gore and me do not get along.
There is way too much violence in this world anymore so I won't subject myself any further to it even if it is "fantasy violence":rolleyes:.
But this is just my opinion and how I chose to live.
Well at least Stallone can get a discount at mcdonalds for a coffee:D
He looks by what I saw of the previews in great shape for a senior citizen.

performula
01-28-2008, 10:55 PM
I enjoyed the movie; however, the village/farmer scenes were too realistic.

*edited per request of: cobraferret

cobraferret
01-28-2008, 10:58 PM
Seems like you did this on purpose right after my post to maybe be "funny".There are kids that go on here and people who find those types of images disturbing (myself included).Please edit those images out.Thanks

performula
01-28-2008, 11:02 PM
Seems like you did this on purpose right after my post.There are kids that go on here and people who find that disturbing please edit those images out.Thanks

Whoa. I did not read your post. Now that I have I will. Do not accuse.

cobraferret
01-28-2008, 11:05 PM
I said it seemed like you did.I didn't accuse you yet:)
But thanks for editing your post.
Have a great day

performula
01-28-2008, 11:05 PM
Forget it.....

cobraferret
01-28-2008, 11:08 PM
No harm no foul you took care of it and I thank you.
cobraferret

dockingbay97
01-28-2008, 11:10 PM
Those pictures were a little too graphic.

As far as toys go - Hot Toys has recently made other Rambo figures. I wouldn't be shocked if you don't get a 12" figure from them.

performula
01-28-2008, 11:10 PM
:D :p

We keep editing.

cobraferret
01-28-2008, 11:17 PM
:D :p

We keep editing.
I know:D
It is cool and everything is settled

performula
01-28-2008, 11:20 PM
Lawnmower Man 3: John Rambo

seaslug
01-28-2008, 11:29 PM
look I havent seen the movie and I have no right to comment but I will anyway. It seems to me a bit crazy to go all anti violence on a gi joe board. Also it seems to me the live action Gi joe movie coming out 2009 will be very violent and thats just fine by me. Violence in movies video games and toys is a perfectly healthy way of expessing ones natural violent tendencies. Sure there are some people who cant handle it but most of us can. Sure there are children on the board but shouldnt there parents be monitoring what there children are doing online. Honestly if I had a child in this day and age I wouldn't want him or her online at all without parental supervision. A goofy post like the one above would be the least of my worries. MY POINT IS IT JUST SILLY TO COMPLAIN ABOUTA VIOLENT MOVIE ON A GI JOE BOARD

DevilKing
01-29-2008, 12:58 AM
There is a lot of violence in the world, that's what makes movies more realistic. Violence happens; in fact violence happens more than touchy-feely, lovey-dovey scenes.

Granted, everyone knows I haven't seen it, but the violence has little to do with why I didn't.

DevilKing
01-29-2008, 12:59 AM

I really didn't. Everything I have heard about it is that it's the rave in hollywood to keep actors looking young.

cobraferret
01-29-2008, 01:41 AM
look I havent seen the movie and I have no right to comment but I will anyway. It seems to me a bit crazy to go all anti violence on a gi joe board. Also it seems to me the live action Gi joe movie coming out 2009 will be very violent and thats just fine by me. Violence in movies video games and toys is a perfectly healthy way of expessing ones natural violent tendencies. Sure there are some people who cant handle it but most of us can. Sure there are children on the board but shouldnt there parents be monitoring what there children are doing online. Honestly if I had a child in this day and age I wouldn't want him or her online at all without parental supervision. A goofy post like the one above would be the least of my worries. MY POINT IS IT JUST SILLY TO COMPLAIN ABOUTA VIOLENT MOVIE ON A GI JOE BOARD There is nothing healthy about violence..period
I could go into statistics and such,but I don't feel like arguing because what you may believe and what I may believe may be different.Also If I stated my points I would further flame a fire and we both would get banned.I agree that children should be supervised online,but for those that are not supervised we all need to be careful of what we post.
You think my post was silly and that is fine with me.I personally don't take an offense to your opinion of me or what I say.Freedom rings
My post was directed at the movie and I stated my opinion as to why I would not see it.
In my opinion whatever we listen to,watch,etc. can have a serious affect on us we have to be careful.
How do you feel when you hear a song on the radio that you love?
See a movie that scares you?etc.
You get a physical response right?
That physical response may or may not be positive and can set someone off.
This is a medical fact.
Just because I don't fall into the world's view about things doesn't make me crazy or
intolerant.I am individual as are you and we are entitled to an opinion without ridicule.
Rambo and G.I.Joe are 2 totally different entities

cobraferret
01-29-2008, 01:42 AM
There is a lot of violence in the world, that's what makes movies more realistic. Violence happens; in fact violence happens more than touchy-feely, lovey-dovey scenes.
Unfortunately this is a fact

cobraferret
01-29-2008, 01:43 AM
I really didn't. Everything I have heard about it is that it's the rave in hollywood to keep actors looking young.
Anything thats the rave in hollywood I would take a closer look at:)

seaslug
01-29-2008, 02:07 AM
I am not trying to start a flame war at all. I just think with all due respect to say Rambo is an issue for youngsters reading this board because of its violent content is a bit hipocritical. Gi joe comic books are very violent, the cartoons are too. If anything the cartoons are worst because they depict violence towards others without showing the consiquences. GI joe has been marketed to children for years, heck there were prototypes for a Rambo Gi joe figure back in the day. As recently as septemper a proffesional wrestler was once again made into a Gi joe figure. Pro wrestling has proven its not a great influence on children. Also I would like to make the point that we all grew up with this violence depicted in movies and our toys, more so then any other generation and most of us turned out fine. I just have to question anyone who would endorse one and not the other. Psych studies constantly change many scientific studies change and if these studies are so accurate how do you explain the 30 and 40 something generation that grew up just fine and well adjusted with violent toys movies and vidoegames that were all but forced down our throat. I mean lets be honest if you are on this board you are a product of this same marketing. Sorry you just cant have it both ways

seaslug
01-29-2008, 02:12 AM
Also I would just like to stress if hasbro had there way with licensing GI Joe and Rambo would have been the same entity. Also you don't need me to ridicule you,you have ridiculed yourself by not checking your facts

cobraferret
01-29-2008, 02:24 AM
Also I would just like to stress if hasbro had there way with licensing GI Joe and Rambo would have been the same entity. Also you don't need me to ridicule you,you have ridiculed yourself by not checking your facts
I know my facts.I was talking about the images that were posted and gave an opinion as to why I wouldn't watch the movie.Not everyone had the parental guidance to show them the difference as to what is acceptable behavior.That is what my whole posting was about.Being responsible enough for those that don't have
any supervision and those that find the images disturbing.I didn't ridicule myself.
We need to take some responsibility when there isn't anyone else.Instead of just saying."It is not my responsibility."

The person that posted the images took them off and was very polite about it and I thank him.

DevilKing
01-29-2008, 02:47 AM
we all grew up with this violence depicted in movies and our toys, more so then any other generation

I don't know about that.

seaslug
01-29-2008, 03:34 AM
I don't know about that.

Ok what generation grew up with toys that promoted violence more then 1976-1988? Its possible I am wrong about this so if I am please correct me.

I grew up with guns that really looked like guns and shot pellets and BB's. The primary toys I played with were GI joe, Star wars, MOTU, little plastic army men that depicted WW2,buck rogers and more

seaslug
01-29-2008, 03:50 AM
Anyways I won't be going to see this movie.I was going to,but after reading this thread I am glad I didn't.
Gore and me do not get along.
There is way too much violence in this world anymore so I won't subject myself any further to it even if it is "fantasy violence":rolleyes:.
But this is just my opinion and how I chose to live.
Well at least Stallone can get a discount at mcdonalds for a coffee:D
He looks by what I saw of the previews in great shape for a senior citizen.

Here is your post prior to any movie footage being posted. You take a shot at fantasy violence. You have the right to your opinion and I respect that. It just seems to me a bit arogant to slam fantasy violence when your on a website that is created around a product that promotes fantasy violence to children. Aren't you condoning this just by your very presence on this site. Aren't you subjecting yourself to further fantasy violence by buying GI joe product. If you are so strong in your convictions wouldn't you have a huge problem with a toyline that up until 2002 almost glorified global terrorism. Hey if you dont like gore say you dont like gore, but totake a shot at fantasy violence when your presence here shows you do enjoy fantasy violence. Well I'm sorry thats hipacritical. Thats like saying illegal drugs are awfull and should be banned ,but I sure enjoy the smell of thathere cocaine

DevilKing
01-29-2008, 03:51 AM
Ok what generation grew up with toys that promoted violence more then 1976-1988? Its possible I am wrong about this so if I am please correct me.

I grew up with guns that really looked like guns and shot pellets and BB's. The primary toys I played with were GI joe, Star wars, MOTU, little plastic army men that depicted WW2,buck rogers and more

I'm not addressing that. I'm addressing a generation that grew up free from violence.

DevilKing
01-29-2008, 03:54 AM
Thats like saying illegal drugs are awfull and should be banned ,but I sure enjoy the smell of that there cocaine

Cocain can truly screw with people's lives, granted by their own choice. Weed? That's a different story.

seaslug
01-29-2008, 04:11 AM
I know my facts.I was talking about the images that were posted and gave an opinion as to why I wouldn't watch the movie.Not everyone had the parental guidance to show them the difference as to what is acceptable behavior.That is what my whole posting was about.Being responsible enough for those that don't have
any supervision and those that find the images disturbing.I didn't ridicule myself.
We need to take some responsibility when there isn't anyone else.Instead of just saying."It is not my responsibility."

The person that posted the images took them off and was very polite about it and I thank him.

I think its great that the person who posted the images took them off. It was a bit of a tasteless joke. And no I don't have to take reposibility for other peoples unsupervised kids there not my problem. If I wanted them to be my problem I would have my own. Its bad enough I have to take care of them through my taxes. Thats money I could buy more violent toys with. I don't live in comunist country I'm resposible for me not other peoples children. Maybe I'm not as polite as the other guy, but if you put up a post telling me how terrible many peoples outlet for violence is when you sorta have the same outlet and then tell me I should take responsibility for peoples kidswhos parents aren't watching there kids you better beleive I'm gonna have an opinion too. You are entitled to an opinion but yours contradicts itself. I had no interest in seeing this film but now I have to go. Just to see how many parents are sitting there with there little inocent darlings. Who are probably being fed on my dime. Also I can't say much for the new Rambo, but the first one was an anti war movie. I got that as a child. Just as most kids would have gotten the joke that sparked all this spirited debate. Honestly Cobraferret I have read your posts with anopen mind before I formed an opinion. Even if you dont agree I hope you do the same.......And thats one to grow on kids!!!!

seaslug
01-29-2008, 04:14 AM
I'm not addressing that. I'm addressing a generation that grew up free from violence.

Honestly I dont beleive there has been a generation who lived with out violence, it's human nature

seaslug
01-29-2008, 04:19 AM
Cocain can truly screw with people's lives, granted by their own choice. Weed? That's a different story.
Altough I agree with you on this point,there are many who would disagree and do have there points. However this was a metphor not to be taken with any particular political stance.

DevilKing
01-29-2008, 04:44 AM
Honestly I dont beleive there has been a generation who lived with out violence, it's human nature

That was my fault. There has never been a generation free from violence, at least any that lives with other people. What I should have addressed were the levels of violence seen or addressed by the last few generations, via needless wars. In America, we're far too sheltered from the common place violence seen by the majority of the world.

DevilKing
01-29-2008, 04:48 AM
Altough I agree with you on this point,there are many who would disagree and do have there points. However this was a metphor not to be taken with any particular political stance.

"Metaphores" aside, none was taken.

I'm certain even Larry Hama would have sparked a doobie and preferred talking about toys v. needless knee jerk reactions to Sylvester Stallone's acting abilities.

seaslug
01-29-2008, 07:05 AM
"Metaphores" aside, none was taken.

I'm certain even Larry Hama would have sparked a doobie and preferred talking about toys v. needless knee jerk reactions to Sylvester Stallone's acting abilities.

Lol The only reason I even care about this series is because they are kinda funny to go back and watch as an adult. Honestly I was just reading reviews until I came across some posts that I found to be a hipocritical. I found it to be kinda pot calling the kettle black. I think it went on because I as a board member to many fan sites, get kind of sick of having to hear shhhh! the kids are in the room and there parents can't be bothered watching we must act like were in church. I don't think we should bring up the kids everytime someone cant take opinions they dont like. I mean if thats the case, shouldn't we speak in sentences like "so did santa clause give you any joes for Xmas". But its never brought up in that context. Am I wrong? This isn't the place for bashing fantasy violence especially as a member. Although there are kids on the site are they so young and are they so sensitive that they cant see something here that they can see on the TV or youtube.

cobraferret
01-29-2008, 07:17 AM
I am going to take a break from this site for a couple of days.
Seaslug you are entitled to think how ever you wish.
I am not a hypocrite.My whole point was this.Violence is not good period.
I would not let my own child watch G.I.Joe until he was of the age of reason and I could explain it to him.
I am not going to continue to defend myself as I have stated how I feel and believe.This site used to be such a great place.I never used to think I had to say something about a post.
There wasn't any drug references or graphic photos,etc.
If there was the person got banned permanently.
I myself have almost been banned way back when I stood up for my religious beliefs because someone said something against what I believe.That is fine this is a G.I.Joe site about toys,but it is progressively going to garbage.So I will take a few days to collect my thoughts and calm down.
I know I said before I wasn't bothered,but truly I am now.Not because someone has "won" because they haven't,but because I miss the way this site used to be.We all complained that the mods were too tough,but now I wish they would go back to the old rules and not be lenient anymore.Yes I would fall under those same rules also.
To joebahama I am sorry about the thread getting jacked.Some people myself included can't just let things go.Someone always feels they have to "win"

dockingbay97
01-29-2008, 08:30 AM
OK - everyone chill out a bit.

Cobras Toys
01-29-2008, 08:45 AM
- edit dockingbay97 - Enough with the drug references.

dockingbay97
01-29-2008, 08:59 AM
Enough with the drug references.

joebahama
01-29-2008, 03:41 PM
OK - everyone chill out a bit.

I agree , last time I checked this thread it was supposed to be about the new Rambo Movie. I found the movie to be enjoyable, thats my preference. If others didn't like it for whatever reason, as adults we can respect that. To discuss why we did or didn't like it and then be judgemental of others preference is a hypocritical in my opinion.

I love first person shooter video games too, probably for the same reasons I like the Rambo movie, does that mean I am violent? Well I don't think so'. I just like the action of it and the interplay. I am mature enough to know it isn't real but I respect the engagements to realize that the physical action is possible.

Now lets examine some other facts

1. This website is Yo Joe which a site dedicated to fans of the GI Joe Toyline.

2. GI Joe is the codename for America's Special Force that fights Cobra.

3. This Special Force's unit is composed of members of the military.

4. The military is a branch government that defends it people.

5. To defend people you need weapons.

6. Weapons whether used defensively or offensively exhibits violence.

7. Honestly I can't see a person detesting violence to such an extent that they absolutely hate a film like Rambo based on it violence but the other hand is a member of a site dedicated to be a fan of action figures which conceptional represent an iconic aspect of violence. Hence, each Joe action figure came with weapons which represent the fantasy that they fight whether to protect in the case of joe or to kill in the case of cobra. Its one preference to dislike whatever they want and I respect it, but I can't understand it. Now maybe if this were the Cabbage Patch Kids or My lil Pony website I would understand this more. For now I am confused. :confused:

Mr Rage
01-29-2008, 06:04 PM
Good point joebahama.

Yeah...Stallone as a stellar actor in league with someone like Tom Hanks...or Denzel Washington is questionable. But he knew what he was oing in this movie and yes I do feel he was sending a very anti violence message in this movie. Granted sometimes violence is necessary....but it should be the last resort if all else fails.

I've lead a violent life and I don't try to hide my son from it. He's old enough now to understand that violence in movies just that...violence in movies. The real world is sometimes what it's based on. I didn't think there was going to be that much violence in the movie...because I did take my son to see it with me. He and I talked about it on the car ride home and for the most part he enjoyed it. I think in some way he understood the futility of violence and why it should be a last resort. I also addressed the message that the Christian aid workers and it's important to fight for what you truly believe in. I also told him that all fights should be chosen wisely.

But all in all....it was a good movie.

Mr Rage

Misfits1011
01-29-2008, 06:30 PM
now that the thread is back to being about rambo....i loved it...i always liked rambo...i think he should have been a joe.

seaslug
01-29-2008, 08:48 PM
I am going to take a break from this site for a couple of days.
Seaslug you are entitled to think how ever you wish.
I am not a hypocrite.My whole point was this.Violence is not good period.
I would not let my own child watch G.I.Joe until he was of the age of reason and I could explain it to him.
I am not going to continue to defend myself as I have stated how I feel and believe.This site used to be such a great place.I never used to think I had to say something about a post.
There wasn't any drug references or graphic photos,etc.
If there was the person got banned permanently.
I myself have almost been banned way back when I stood up for my religious beliefs because someone said something against what I believe.That is fine this is a G.I.Joe site about toys,but it is progressively going to garbage.So I will take a few days to collect my thoughts and calm down.
I know I said before I wasn't bothered,but truly I am now.Not because someone has "won" because they haven't,but because I miss the way this site used to be.We all complained that the mods were too tough,but now I wish they would go back to the old rules and not be lenient anymore.Yes I would fall under those same rules also.
To joebahama I am sorry about the thread getting jacked.Some people myself included can't just let things go.Someone always feels they have to "win"

I would just like to point out that I did not jack this thread to push my morals on anyone else. Cobra ferret did and I felt someone nedded to stand up about this. With that said I apologize to anyone who had to deal with the thread going so far off topic. I get emotional when members of this site run to the moral high ground and point there figure down to those of us who are just trying to have fun and collect in peace.

With that said I actually shelled out the $9.50 to see this film and it was much much better then I thought it would be. I honestly thought the last Rocky film was a fluke, but now that I've seen this it seems like Stalone is still relavent. It also didn't really bother me that stalone has aged so much. Once I got into the movie I totally for got about that.Honestly thanks to evrybody who had good things to say about this movie. I probably would have waited for the DVD release. I think I forgot how much fun a good old fashioned style action movie can be on the big screen. Thanks alot and sorry to go off topic

code red shockwave
01-29-2008, 09:03 PM
No I haven't seen it, but I can't believe Sylvester Stallone is in another movie that is from a series of movies he previously starred in(remember Rocky?).

performula
01-29-2008, 09:45 PM
I would just like to point out that I did not jack this thread to push my morals on anyone else. Cobra ferret did and I felt someone nedded to stand up about this. With that said I apologize to anyone who had to deal with the thread going so far off topic. I get emotional when members of this site run to the moral high ground and point there figure down to those of us who are just trying to have fun and collect in peace.

With that said I actually shelled out the $9.50 to see this film and it was much much better then I thought it would be. I honestly thought the last Rocky film was a fluke, but now that I've seen this it seems like Stalone is still relavent. It also didn't really bother me that stalone has aged so much. Once I got into the movie I totally for got about that.Honestly thanks to evrybody who had good things to say about this movie. I probably would have waited for the DVD release. I think I forgot how much fun a good old fashioned style action movie can be on the big screen. Thanks alot and sorry to go off topic

Someone said the plot was not bad for Rocky Balboa. I'll have to see it.

Anyone hear he's coming out with Cobra 2? I cannot wait!

joebahama
01-29-2008, 10:34 PM

Now that would be awesome. But while we're on sequels, I also see where Indiana Jones is coming out in May. Take a look:http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367882/

Mr Rage
01-29-2008, 10:34 PM

Yes, I love Rocky Balboa...it definitely made up for the fiasco that was Rocky 5.

I think that Stallone did a great job in taking two of his most recognized characters back to basics and tieing up each of the series nicely.

Mr Rage

cobraferret
01-30-2008, 12:13 AM

Last post on this matter and I am done.I never pointed any finger you did.You were the one that couldn't leave my opinion alone.I never judged anyone.I used the terms we and us myself included,but as far as I am concerned The matter is closed.
Anyway.I have thought about this long and hard and have come to this conclusion.
To try to shelter my child from everything violent could backfire on me.
What I think is that as long as I am there to explain everything and he is of the age of reason and can reason responsibly then yes I agree to shelter him would be a mistake,but I don't think Rambo is the way I personally would go.I again apologize to joebahama for the thread getting out of hand.I didn't word how I felt better and it got all messed up.
Some of the things I have said and me being a member of this site may seem hypocritical,but my father was there to explain everything to me when I was watching g.i.joe
Now with a clear head have a great day everyone!

DevilKing
01-30-2008, 12:59 AM
To try to shelter my child from everything violent could backfire on me.

Yes, it could. But it won't, at the same time. Censoring or sheltering a kid will only result in them either, unreasonably, feeling they're somehow guilty of something they can't really explain or feeling they are breaking some set of inapplicable rules. (I hear all sorts of arguments based soley on the notion that morals and integriy come soley from an organized religion, which simply is not the case.)

As i have always said, it isn't what a person hears, it's how loudly they hear it. This means that one kid can play a violent video game and take away from it a desire to shoot up a school, and another can see it and turn in his history report without incident.

I don't discount parental influence, but I would add to that peer influence. You're not only raising your child and influencing him or her, you're raising a child that interacts with a hundred other kids that are the results of their parents. I don't want to say "it takes a village", but one can't dismiss the influence of the other kids in the village, unless you intend to raise them in a bubble. But, that reality doesn't, and shouldn't, imply that we're all responsible for everyone else...which is why I disagree with the "it takes a village" notion.

What I have heard repeatedly from experienced parents is that when it comes to your children, you cast the die and hope for the best. That includes insight from mine as well as others.

I'm 28 and a lot of my friends are starting to have children, and I keep seeing them suddenly become different people, simply because they have children. But, you don't have to. In fact, being real with your kids would likely be the best for them.

Just wondering, how old were you when you saw a Rambo movie for the first time?

cobraferret
01-30-2008, 01:31 AM
Yes, it could. But it won't, at the same time. Censoring or sheltering a kid will only result in them either, unreasonably, feeling they're somehow guilty of something they can't really explain or feeling they are breaking some set of inapplicable rules. (I hear all sorts of arguments based soley on the notion that morals and integriy come soley from an organized religion, which simply is not the case.)

As i have always said, it isn't what a person hears, it's how loudly they hear it. This means that one kid can play a violent video game and take away from it a desire to shoot up a school, and another can see it and turn in his history report without incident.

I don't discount parental influence, but I would add to that peer influence. You're not only raising your child and influencing him or her, you're raising a child that interacts with a hundred other kids that are the results of their parents. I don't want to say "it takes a village", but one can't dismiss the influence of the other kids in the village, unless you intend to raise them in a bubble. But, that reality doesn't, and shouldn't, imply that we're all responsible for everyone else...which is why I disagree with the "it takes a village" notion.

What I have heard repeatedly from experienced parents is that when it comes to your children, you cast the die and hope for the best. That includes insight from mine as well as others.

I'm 28 and a lot of my friends are starting to have children, and I keep seeing them suddenly become different people, simply because they have children. But, you don't have to. In fact, being real with your kids would likely be the best for them.

Just wondering, how old were you when you saw a Rambo movie for the first time?
In my case I agree with about 85% of what you are saying.I was about 12 when I saw Rambo 2 and it made me throw up when he shot the guy at the end with the exploding arrow and I had some nightmares.
I guess it would depend on the child and what bothers them.I have to prepare my son for the world,but I want him also to have a care free childhood like I did and be able to stay a child for at least awhile you know.
Having a child changes a lot of things if you are a responsible adult (ie.certain habits,what you watch or listen to.)and it should.I do agree that
not everything has to change it is just very scary at this point in my life and I tend to get a little over protective.I just don't want my son to grow up too fast you know.I guess all I can do is teach him the right way and to hope that when he is around his peers he will remember what he was taught.I know he will make mistakes I am just hoping they are not as bad as mine.Also that is why I stated we all need to take some sort of a responsibility in what we teach kids."It takes a village" is actually what my pastor has said many times and it is the truth.I mean if someone was listening to head phones and was about to walk into traffic and get hit by a car.I am sure none of us wouldn't grab them to save their life.I am sure none of us would stand there and say it isn't my responsibility.That is what I meant I didn't word my previous post right.I also agree that our generation was one of the most violent fantasy wise,but look how it is now with reality.
Take care and thanks to pretty much everyone for being cool.
Now back to the original reason for this thread Rambo

DevilKing
01-30-2008, 01:36 AM
I am just hoping they are not as bad as mine.

No to be an ***, but if your childhood was so care free, do you blame your parents for those mistakes?

cobraferret
01-30-2008, 01:43 AM
No to be an ***, but if your childhood was so care free, do you blame your parents for those mistakes?
Well I don't think you are being a jerk you are simply asking a question.
I think at 12 I knew what I was doing and they really didn't have those block channels back then.So I and my friend watched it and it was kind of "curiosity killed the cat":)
My father was sick a lot when I was younger and my mom worked a lot to support us.I don't really want to spill my personal history too much.
Care Free is a term I use loosely.
What I meant was that my mom and dad never let us see the struggles that they were having so in a way I think that may have done more harm than good,but I am very thankful for my childhood.I had great parents,grandparents,uncles,aunts.
I was very blessed as some don't have that or never did.PM me if you would like to further discuss this as I don't want to jack the thread anymore:)

performula
01-30-2008, 01:46 AM
This thread took a dump after my .gif posts. Let us wipe the slate clean and get back to the movie...

cobraferret
01-30-2008, 01:47 AM
This thread took a dump after my .gif posts. Let us wipe the slate clean and get back to the movie...
Agreed
By the way thanks again performula for being cool

performula
01-30-2008, 01:57 AM
Agreed
By the way thanks again performula for being cool

I'm always cool. Never worked up unless I'm in the Car Lounge at VWVortex.

DevilKing
01-30-2008, 02:01 AM
Well I don't think you are being a jerk you are simply asking a question.
I think at 12 I knew what I was doing and they really didn't have those block channels back then.So I and my friend watched it and it was kind of "curiosity killed the cat":)
My father was sick a lot when I was younger and my mom worked a lot to support us.I don't really want to spill my personal history too much.
Care Free is a term I use loosely.
What I meant was that my mom and dad never let us see the struggles that they were having so in a way I think that may have done more harm than good,but I am very thankful for my childhood.I had great parents,grandparents,uncles,aunts.
I was very bless as some don't have that or never did.

Block channels? As in HBO or Showtime? Or did you mean blocked channels?

"Curiosity Killed the Cat" is a confusing notion, in my mind. How did that exposure or curiosity somehow change your perception of reality, and more to the point, how did it negatively effect the end result?(Your adult life) I hope you didn't consider yourself deviant simply based on your desire to know something about sex or sexuality. How can curiosity be a bad thing?

Did your parents never burdening you with the anxiety of life somehow remove your own anxiety from your adult life? Did it change the fact that reality was the same for them as it is for you now?

I'll be upfront with you and let you know now that I do not respect organized religion. I have never understood the idea that morality or integrity have to come from a man-made religion that addresses universal questions by applying specific, dogmatic answers. That's not an accusation of ignorance, as you'll find that most scientists are not athiests. (despite what the media tells us. What they're actually talking about is the fact that most scientist aren't christians.)

performula
01-30-2008, 02:02 AM
Apparently Burma has been in issues over the years. At the end of the movie there is a credit, stating, Media Coverage by - Freedom Rangers. Donated for the cause of Burma. I thought that was interesting. The movie isn't really that unrealistic aside from a small crew taking out 200 soldiers.

I state again: the village scenes are too realistic for me. I got upset watching the mine walk, pillages, and murder.

seaslug
01-30-2008, 04:16 AM
Ok I Umderstand I Questioned Some Bull On This Thread. I Understand Your Children Are Important To You, Go To A Parenting Class. Keep It Out Of Here. If You Cant Raise Your Kids Right With Out Yojoe Feedback Find Someone Else To Raise Them. I Have Problems Too. I Dont Bring Them Up Here. Since Its Been Thrown Out There....raise Your Kids Hard. Its Hard Life...devilking Makes Many Points. Pm Him If You Need Parenting Advice. Hey Have Pastor Raise Him We All Know How Loving Organized Religion Is.... Or Call Dr Phil....this Is Why I Opened My Mouth In The First Place C'mon The Post Is About The New Rambo Movie Which Is Great...glad Someone Enjoyed Rocky Last.... One Of The Great Things About Gorry Combat Movies, Is That As A Child I Learned I Wanted No Part Of It. I Saw As A Child One Of The Scarriest Movies Ever Made "the Day After" Nuclear War Movies Made Me Very Passive. Rambo As A Child Was Agreat Lesson To Me So Was Gi Joe. My Father (a Vietnam Vet) And My Uncle (ww2 Purple Heart) Always Taught Me The Difference Between Play And Reality. I Asked Many Questions As A Child The Fear I Saw In There Eyes Was Enough To Teach Me. The Recent Events Of History Could Help You Teach Your Children. Either Way It Doesn't Belong On This Site At This Time. If Some Of You Would Like To Go Off Topic Pm Me Or Start Another Thread.