Are you kidding me? Missile Command [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Are you kidding me? Missile Command

IlliniJoe
02-24-2008, 09:50 PM
I'm sure many of you have seen this and i even started a poll (Which was closed due to outing this auction) to see what it would go for with the highest option being $2000 and up. But WOW I never imagined that this would go so high. Has anyone seen a MISB one before and if so what did it go for? If you are lucky enough to have one of these are you ready to sell it? Congrats to the lucky guy who bought this i hope he is a member.

I remember a board member here had his for sale on ebay and it fetched $1200 I thought but it wasn't MISB just unpunched. Before this one that is the highest to date for me.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1982-G-I-Joe-Cobra-Enemy-Missile-Command-Headquarters_W0QQitemZ120223585200QQihZ002QQcatego ryZ349QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Syna3sthesia
02-24-2008, 09:55 PM
Wow....way more than what I expect it to go for.

IlliniJoe
02-24-2008, 09:57 PM
That thing is worth more than my car. Never thought i would say cardboard would be worth more than a decent car but wow.

TheReverend
02-24-2008, 10:00 PM
I'm surprised your poll got closed before (guess I didn't notice it), last I checked "outing an auction” was not against any of the rules here... maybe they have changed though... Guess I’ll have to be careful not to out any auctions from now on… (can any mods or admins confirm that "auction outing" is now against the rules - just want to keep up on stuff :) )

Anyway, I guess I'm happy for the dude that won it, but IMO that's a lot of cash for cardboard.

But hey, to each their own ;)

IlliniJoe
02-24-2008, 10:12 PM
Yeah i didn't know that was against board rules as well but now I know and knowing is half the battle. Yo Joe!

TYPE*S*TOYS
02-24-2008, 10:15 PM
I bet it would of got more $$$ if it was actually posted in the correct category. The seller put it in the "other" category which I am sure is not looked at as much as the regular category.

Tim F.
02-24-2008, 10:29 PM
Wow, 6 grand!!! Way more than I could ever afford to spend on joes. Color me envious.

The best part is the guy who offered a $200 BIN. I hate it when people do a low ball BIN offer in hopes that the seller isn't collectable savvy. I hope he feels like a schmuck!

Erick
02-24-2008, 10:35 PM
I'd rather buy a decent car with that amount of money.

Snake-eyes01
02-24-2008, 10:39 PM
The price is very high but, you do have to think about how often do you see a SEALED one!?! That is an amazing find! Think about how much it would have sold for if it were AFA graded!!

Blackstarninja
02-25-2008, 12:02 AM
im fairly sure i saw one sell for $1500 misb less than 6 months ago .

I know M. Bellomos Joe guide is afew years old now , but thats listed as $500 / $700 MISB .

Figured around $1500 would be a reasonable price these days for one . Sure it just got into an insane bidding war and someone put like $6000 as their max bid just to make surte they got it but only thought it might get to say $3000 ??

Ive done this before as I knew Id be at work when auctions finsihed so I put in a rediculous max bid so I know I will win it even with last minute snipes.

However , I will no longer be doing this as if I won it for that much I think ID be sick .... before my wife killed me lol :)

Blackstarninja
02-25-2008, 12:06 AM
I bet it would of got more $$$ if it was actually posted in the correct category. The seller put it in the "other" category which I am sure is not looked at as much as the regular category.

Maybe , but im pretty sure people after a particular item search by the name they are after in the full GI Joe section .

I.E
I search for every week these words .....
"missile command" & "Missle command "

As sellers often mispell missile and have it as missle so you gotta search for both words .

Never when Ive been after a particular item have I been into the subgroups to search for them .
Always search the full GI Joe listings incase of that happening that you mention .

TheReverend
02-25-2008, 12:31 AM
...Never when Ive been after a particular item have I been into the subgroups to search for them .
Always search the full GI Joe listings incase of that happening that you mention .
Yeah that's how I always do it, I search for what I am looking for I don't browse so correct category has little meaning to me.

But you never know, maybe if it was in the correct category, it might have gone higher, maybe others browse more then searching, or drill down to those categorys more then I.

But I still personaly don't see it, for that sort of cash I'd take a nice vacation somewhere :)

Free Fall
02-25-2008, 12:59 AM
i remember i had this set as a kid, well actually it was my brothers and by the time i got it, it was moldy and all beat up. someone should have slapped my brother and told him to keep it in the package. 6 g's is wildd. this is one of the few pieces of MIB Gi joe i could see spiralling into a ridiculous amount of money in the years to come....i

GBPackRat
02-25-2008, 01:05 AM
I know M. Bellomos Joe guide is afew years old now , but thats listed as $500 / $700 MISB .

You cannot go by Mark's book for determining the prices for sealed items in the current market.

For instance, least year I sold the following sealed items:

Skystriker $1200
Water Moccasin $660
Tomahawk $370
Dargonfly (and one corner was slightly crushed) $670
FANG (with the flag point cut out) $210
Polar Bear (with the flag point cut out) $220

As you can see, Mark's prices are no where near these prices. This is nothing against Mark. All I'm saying is, his book cannot be used as price guide. Its a reference book and if your able to get pre '85 stuff MOC/MIB for the listed prices in his book, you are getting a steal.

The fact this missile command when so high does not surprise me. Personally, after seeing the stuff I sold go for as much as it did, I would put the missile command in the $3k - $5k easy. Think about it, it was the first GI Joe playset. It appears to be in mint/sealed condition. How many others have you ever seen like this? For a MIB/MOC collector with money, this is a no brainer, you get it and I'm sure they were happy with getting it for $6k.

Tanner

Blackstarninja
02-25-2008, 01:14 AM
Your absoultely correct , I just didnt think that prices had increased by that much in such a short span of time .
Like I said , I saw Another MISB one gor for $1600 half a year ago .
The amount this one went for compared to that is incredible .
Again , I think 2 bidders got in a war and such the price got over inflated .

I just purchased my first Missle command HQ today , this one MIB in c9 condition with the box and 3 figures for $450 .
Comes complete except it didnt have the filecard holder .
I pretty much only brought it as I really wanted the box , as I also collect the Vehicle boxes .

Anyone got a filecard holder for sale to the missle command HQ , drop me a pm . Need one to complete my first HQ :)

GBPackRat
02-25-2008, 01:18 AM
The MIB/MOC prices are just flat out insane for the older vintage stuff and I would suspect as we get closer to the movie, prices will only go up from here.

Tanner

Falcone
02-25-2008, 01:40 AM
Ive seen prices go up across the board since I came back. An item I could get for $20 last year would now cost me $40. The bad thing is I passed on alot of stuff in the past few years because I wasn't willing to spend the money. Now that I am willing, the price on everything has gone up.

IlliniJoe
02-25-2008, 01:47 AM
Is yours on uncut cardboard? If it is I think you got an amazing deal.

I just purchased my first Missle command HQ today , this one MIB in c9 condition with the box and 3 figures for $450 .
Comes complete except it didnt have the filecard holder .
I pretty much only brought it as I really wanted the box , as I also collect the Vehicle boxes .

Anyone got a filecard holder for sale to the missle command HQ , drop me a pm . Need one to complete my first HQ :)[/quote]

Blackstarninja
02-25-2008, 03:19 AM
Doesnt look like they have ever been assembled from the photos but I wont know for sure untill it arrives .

cobrasaboteur
02-25-2008, 07:06 AM
i've seen these go misb for both 600 and 900 on ebay.

-saboteur

green firefly
02-25-2008, 07:42 AM
I'm gonna have to throw my 2 cents in here and say this price is way too high. This is just one of those daily examples on Ebay where something will sell for one price, and within a short amount of time, it will sell for 10% to 20% of the insanely high price (or vice versa). I've seen it so many times that it has become normal and doesn't shock me in the least.

Volleydan
02-25-2008, 01:53 PM
Look at the bid history on this item - it was at $2700 until shortly before the auction closed, but then shot all the way up to $6000 within the last few minutes.

Of course, the winning bidder had had his bid in long before then, but it makes me wonder if the runner up wasn't just seeing how high he could bid the auction up.......and the poor guy who had put in a "guarantee I get it" bid was left holding the bag for over double what he should have paid for it.

That is why I don't do the "outrageous bid so I make sure I win it" thing. It's just too risky.

CobraGang
02-25-2008, 03:45 PM
*chuckles*....I'll tell you right now....my hobby is not that serious.

*looks at the vintage $11.99 Sears price sticker on it* lol

Zodach
02-25-2008, 04:16 PM
*looks at the vintage $11.99 Sears price sticker on it* lol
Yeah, I wish I had a time machine and could go back and pick up a case of these @ $11.99. The 80's were such a golden age for action figures and it would be awesome to experience that again somehow.

johnlogic
02-25-2008, 05:51 PM
I've often wondered why no one has made pdf files to print to make your own. Seems like someone out there would have one to scan in. If this does exist let me know.

thunt4
02-25-2008, 07:28 PM
They are pretty tough to find misb. I usually see them for 1000 and up mainly around 2grand and up for a very nice one. If the guy has the money to do so why not. If he wants it bad enough why not,its his money. Granted that could put a nice down payment on a car. lol Who knows maybe that was the last piece he needed in his collection so why not.

Patrick A. Riley
02-25-2008, 07:45 PM
That's about a 50,000% increase from the original sticker price :eek:

titandogg
02-26-2008, 09:45 AM
I was looking at the Forum Rules and I couldn't find anywhere on there where it said anything specifically relating to "outting auctions". Could a mod clarify this for me, please?

CGC
02-26-2008, 09:55 AM
Outing auctions really isn't against the rules, but it is frowned on. An auction that is listed correctly & could be easily found wouldn't be considered "outed" if it were discussed because anybody could find it if they were looking for it or a similar item. For something to be outed it would have to have been listed with a poor description, in the wrong category, or some other detail that might make it hard to find. This has come up quite a few times, but I don't think I've seen it lately.

As far as the thread that was closed, I didn't see it, so I don't know what happened, but I really doubt it would've been closed for an auction being outed.

GBPackRat
02-26-2008, 10:12 AM
This should get moved to the new MOC/MIB section...

Tanner

dockingbay97
02-26-2008, 10:23 AM
This should get moved to the new MOC/MIB section...

Tanner

True enough but please remember there are a GAZILLION threads in the old toys section. It will take us some time to move them all to their new homes.

pitch6lack
02-26-2008, 10:23 AM
my legs were shaking when i saw how much it ended for! OMG!

does anyone knows how much a carded cobra invasor brazil /argentina moc worth? who owns a carded glenda?

IlliniJoe
02-26-2008, 10:24 AM
Actually the text was edited stating something along the lines of it being inappropriate to out this specific auction and not to discuss till after it had run it's course essentially "closing it". I made the original post and was unaware I was breaking a rule. I did not think I was outing such an expensive and high profile item that was easily found but someone here did which I found surprising but no big deal. Everyone has different opinions.
Here is the original post/poll

http://forums.yojoe.com/showthread.php?t=55959

dockingbay97
02-26-2008, 10:29 AM
does anyone knows how much a carded cobra invasor brazil /argentina moc worth? who owns a carded glenda?

Please use the international section instead of adding this to every post you make regardless of the section or topic you are posting about.

dockingbay97
02-26-2008, 10:30 AM
Actually the text was edited stating something along the lines of it being inappropriate to out this specific auction and not to discuss till after it had run it's course essentially "closing it". I made the original post and was unaware I was breaking a rule. I did not think I was outing such an expensive and high profile item that was easily found but someone here did which I found surprising but no big deal. Everyone has different opinions.
Here is the original post/poll

http://forums.yojoe.com/showthread.php?t=55959

Outing auctions is not against the rules here like it is on other boards. However as stated, it is frowned upon.

IlliniJoe
02-26-2008, 10:58 AM
I would definetly agree with that and would not bring attention on an item typically.

Outing auctions is not against the rules here like it is on other boards. However as stated, it is frowned upon.

GBPackRat
02-26-2008, 01:41 PM
True enough but please remember there are a GAZILLION threads in the old toys section. It will take us some time to move them all to their new homes.

Normally I let stuff like that slide, but this being a fairly high profile thread, I thought moving it into this area would bring some traffic to the new category quicker.

As for moving all the stuff around, I think its amazing that you guys are doing this. It in itself is a huge feat.

Tanner