View Full Version : Favre to retire...

GBPackRat
03-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Sigh... The day has come. We'll be flying all our Packer flags at half staff as in respect for the late Green Bay Packers. They died early this morning with the announcement that Brett Favre will retire.

I don't know if we'll ever get that lucky again with a QB. It was nice for 17 years not to have to worry about who the QB was.

Guess we'll find out what its like to be like most of the rest of the teams, as we attempt to find our next QB.

Tanner

yojoebro82
03-04-2008, 09:04 AM
It was nice for 17 years not to have to worry about who the QB was.

Like we in Minnesota always have to do.

It was a good season for him to retire after. How could he top that short of going to the Super Bowl?

Patrick A. Riley
03-04-2008, 09:18 AM
I'm shocked. I thought he'd come back knowing how good the team was last season. Happy trails! :)

GBPackRat
03-04-2008, 09:19 AM
The thing that will bother me the most and its a really minor thing only us Packer fans will really hang onto...

Is last pass was an INT and we'll never forget that.

Otherwise, yeah, the rest of the season was outstanding and if we could have lost some other way, I don't think I would have been bothered so much.

I am glad he came back to break the records. People said he was going to retire last year and I just couldn't believe it. That close to the records and walking away. It made sense to come back, break them, have a great season and go out on top.

I've been reading up on this via local sources, it also sounds like not getting Moss helped in his decision to retire. I know Favre wanted Moss in GB really bad, but top management just wasn't going to budge on that one.

Tanner

PS: I don't think you'll see any Packer Fan with ill will on his retirement. He gave us so much, he deserves to leave when he wants to.

karamazov80
03-04-2008, 09:26 AM
Favre was one of a very few notable graduates from my alma mater (Southern Miss), and I was really rooting for him in the playoffs (even against New Orleans's own Manning brothers). I have enjoyed watching him over the years, being the reckless, amazing specimen that he was. He will be missed.

crimson tide
03-04-2008, 09:29 AM
Yeah, its sad to hear that he won't be back, but he did give all of us (including us that are Patriots fans) much enjoyment. He to me is best that has ever played the game, it will be hard to replace such a fantastic player. All I have to say is good luck to him in whatever he decides to do in the future. ;)

GBPackRat
03-04-2008, 09:34 AM
I agree, regardless of where you want to put him in the list of all time great QB's, he was the best QB at making busted plays work. He truly was one of the most innovative QB's I've ever seen. He never gave up on a play and you never stopped watching the play until he was all the way down and the whistle had blown.

Tanner

The Faceless Master
03-04-2008, 10:04 AM
PS: I don't think you'll see any Packer Fan with ill will on his retirement. He gave us so much, he deserves to leave when he wants to.
I agree
I myself am a 49er fan and we HATE the Packers over here
but I have much respect for #4
He was a lot of fun to watch, the consummate professional,
an irreplaceable legend

The Faceless Master
03-04-2008, 10:45 AM
Aaron Rodgers must be ecstatic right now!! :p

but imagine the pressure of replacing Favre behind center? :cool:

karamazov80
03-04-2008, 10:55 AM

I bet they trade for another QB, and Rogers ends up backing up somebody else. Poor SOB.

Patrick A. Riley
03-04-2008, 11:25 AM
Well, a lot of the "experts" on the ESPN networks are saying it's not a certainty that he will retire. He's tired now, on March 4th. But who's to say he won't become rejuvenated and get the itch to start playing again in June? It's happened with other players before

GBPackRat
03-04-2008, 01:11 PM
Well, a lot of the "experts" on the ESPN networks are saying it's not a certainty that he will retire. He's tired now, on March 4th. But who's to say he won't become rejuvenated and get the itch to start playing again in June? It's happened with other players before

As a Packer Fan I really wish I could believe in this, but I think it'd just be wishful thinking on my part. He has no reason to come back. None what so ever. He's broken all the major records, won the MVP, won the Super Bowl, left on his terms...

I really could see him working for CBS, NBC or FOX in the next 2 - 3 years. I bet he takes a year off, then ends up somewhere as an analyst.

I just pray he doesn't come back to play for another team. That would break my heart.

Tanner

Deogg
03-04-2008, 03:17 PM

And on the flipside to that, I bet John Madden is on suicide watch right about now....

It's a good bet people won't be able to get anywhere NEAR Canton in 2013 when he goes in the Hall!

GBPackRat
03-04-2008, 06:15 PM
And to think, I laughed at my friend who forked over $400 for a ticket to stand in the cold and watch that game against NYG. If I had really believed it was his last game, I would have attempted to go. Loss or not, everyone there can now say they saw his very last game...

Tanner

Syna3sthesia
03-04-2008, 09:13 PM
I don't think he has fully decided to retire. He just wants some time off for the moment.

GBPackRat
03-04-2008, 09:41 PM
I don't think he has fully decided to retire. He just wants some time off for the moment.

If that were true, every Packer Fan alive would welcome him back NO QUESTIONS ASKED...

To have the power Brett Favre has right now and at the age of 38. The man could run for anything in the state of WI and he would win in a landslide...

Tanner

Mr Rage
03-04-2008, 11:32 PM
Being a Detroit Lions fan, we have a lot of reasons for hating Bret Favre. But the man was always a comsumate professional. Never show-boated. A true athlete in every respect.

He played a heckuva game for so long. He will be missed by a lot of us on the otherside of the Lake.

Mr Rage

AmbroseKalifornia
03-05-2008, 07:39 AM
What a shock. This was the first time in a few years that I hadn't worried about him retiring. I knew he didn't care about the records, I knew he didn't care about what the experts had to say, he just wanted to play. And the last season he had, that'd be tough to beat. He'd have to win the Super Bowl, or (as he said) be faced with it being a disappointing season. But, I'll bet they coulda done it with Randy Moss. That would have given him even more energy, more LIFE. I don't see the last pass as a interception as a bad thing, he was doing what he did, trying his best to take it all on his shoulders and WIN. That's what made him great. The man had no quit in him. Maybe he will come back. Maybe this will convince the management to try to grab Moss, but I doubt it. He deserves to do whatever he wants, no one will ever accuse him of not giving his due. But when it's for sure, and there's no hope left, I will be sad indeed, because he was the best. Not in numbers, or rings or awards, but he was the best because he did it the way we would all dream of doing it. He's an inspiration, the stuff legends are made of, a real American hero, and he's the epitome of everything I've ever loved about football. The game will never be as fun to watch.

Thanks for all the memories, Brett.

GI Joanne
03-07-2008, 09:09 AM
Brett Favre is my favorite QB to watch play.I'm a Jets fan but I always loved to watch Brett play.Hopefully after training camps he'll change his mind and give it another go.If he doesnt come back I look for Rogers to be backing up David Carr next year.I'll miss the Favre/Sapp games and Favre/Strahan games.Those defenders brought out the best in Favre and those moments will truely be missed.

the joe bandit
03-07-2008, 08:55 PM
And to think, I laughed at my friend who forked over $400 for a ticket to stand in the cold and watch that game against NYG. If I had really believed it was his last game, I would have attempted to go. Loss or not, everyone there can now say they saw his very last game...

Tanner

Just a month ago, I figured I would bypass all of my baseball trips this summer to save $$$ to go see him play in GB....I guess I waited one season to long.

Goldbug
03-07-2008, 10:51 PM
Hooray! Happy Retirement Brett!
from the Chicago Bears
;)