View Full Version : Anyone Else Hate Ebay?

JOEFAN07
03-26-2008, 09:01 AM
Hey guys,

Just sitting here at my house lounging around, ready to kill someone....I just got screwed, yet again, on eBay. This time, I bid on a figure only to have the seller end the auction early. This sort of stuff has been going on for so long. I've heard numerous stories from other people about so many problems they've encountered. I wish there was another site out there that was specifically geared toward action figures in general or something along those lines that would allow our specific community to buy/sell figures as well as communicate.

I know these forums have classifieds, but I wish there was a place for the entire collecting community to develop a steady place of buying or selling. There are many action figure sites for each of the different types of action figure collectibles and it would be nice to somehow combine them so we could feel like one big community. I believe this would reduce the chances of the sort of things that happen on eBay from occurring, since it would consist of a more focused group of people, and not just the masses who are trying to make a quick buck off of their old finds.

Leave the amateurs to Ebay. We need something more specific. Not to mention the fact that Ebay has, YET AGAIN, raised it's prices across the board. So when you do try and sell something, you keep even less of the sale proceeds than ever before.

Now, I know there are trading and selling forums out there, but, I know I am not always interested in trading and with that, there are still people out to screw others. With the selling forums, I am sure many action figure sites have one, but I am talking about a more centralized location for maybe any/all action figure types. If I want a GI Joe figure today and a Transformers figure tomorrow, I would have to go to 2 separate sites. I am just rambling here but this is how I feel after the mess I just went through. What does everyone else here think? Your thoughts are always appreciated.

Patrick A. Riley
03-26-2008, 11:10 AM
The only problems I've had on eBay were with sellers allowing bids to stand from members that didn't meet their requirements stated in the description (no low feedback bidders, not in country they ship to, etc.) These "illegal" bidders either caused my final winning bid to be higher or else I lost the auction outright

Super Sport
03-26-2008, 03:01 PM
I wish there was another site out there that was specifically geared toward action figures in general or something along those lines that would allow our specific community to buy/sell figures as well as communicate...

Welcome to the board!

A specialized site won't solve the sorts of problems that derive from human nature. People can, and will, flake out, no matter the arena. I just got screwed by a seller at gunbroker.com. Suddenly the item I bought was, "sold earlier in the day, sorry for the inconvenience...". I think the seller realized they undersold the item and backed out on me. It's just the way the ball bounces.

Snake-eyes01
03-26-2008, 09:39 PM
I think a lot of problems on Ebay could be avoided by just taking extra precautions. For one, Sellers do have the right to end their auction early. Also, check feedback BEFORE bidding, check item description, & pictures. I have been buying/selling for 10+ years now & I have had very few problems, most of which were either my fault or from Buyers.

I do however enjoy buying/trading from members here on yojoe MUCH MORE than on Ebay. They are more helpful, polite, & I feel like I can relate & know members here more than I ever have on Ebay. Post a want list, check the Good/Bad section before dealing & I guarantee an enjoyable transaction! :)

karamazov80
03-26-2008, 11:02 PM
I hate eBay for other reasons. I just sold about 420 bucks worth of stuff a week or so ago, and my eBay fees alone are. . .over 60 dollars! That's about 7 percent. That's not even counting the Paypal fees, of course. It's like selling there is a charity at this point. . .or like we are paying taxes. . .

Goldbug
03-27-2008, 01:48 AM
Have you tried www.TFieds.com?

SnakeEater
03-28-2008, 02:53 PM
Joefan07...I have a great Idea! Mods LMK if this is possible. I think most people here hate ebay. I am not a big fan w/their rising prices. Why don't you(the mods) make an auction section??? I can honestly say I am on here almost every day looking for bargains and I'm sure a lot of other people are 2. Have the auctions be like 7 days or something and just have it be free. Is that possible? Just a thought!

bluebikerboy1
03-28-2008, 03:19 PM
ioffer.com
amazon.com
hopeiwin.com
plus many more. problem is they dont get as much traffic :(

Falcone
03-28-2008, 05:20 PM
Joefan07...I have a great Idea! Mods LMK if this is possible. I think most people here hate ebay. I am not a big fan w/their rising prices. Why don't you(the mods) make an auction section??? I can honestly say I am on here almost every day looking for bargains and I'm sure a lot of other people are 2. Have the auctions be like 7 days or something and just have it be free. Is that possible? Just a thought!

You could just go to the auction section and in your first post list your auction items and starting price and then people come to the thread and post their bids.

Goldbug
03-31-2008, 12:03 AM
ioffer.com
amazon.com
hopeiwin.com
plus many more. problem is they dont get as much traffic :(

I started a web page dedicated to eBay alternatives.

http://www.geocities.com/goldbug15.geo/alternatives.html

You could just go to the auction section and in your first post list your auction items and starting price and then people come to the thread and post their bids.
That won't really work very well. Now if the parent site Figures.com would start up something...

yojoebro82
03-31-2008, 09:19 PM
Ebay is the reason there are no more Subway stamps. To me there is no better reason to hate.

Draven
04-06-2008, 09:30 AM
I hate what eBay appear to have done to their UK search engine; it's pretty much unusable. For example, clicking on the specific category at the top of a GI Joe auction merely takes you to the general toys category, not the joe category. They've also done away with the handy check boxes at the side of the page for picking auction options; it's now all done with a stupid requester.
Iincredibly irritating.

Lody
04-06-2008, 09:38 AM
Ebay is the reason there are no more Subway stamps. To me there is no better reason to hate.

Huh? I missed that

samluvsjoes
04-07-2008, 11:05 AM
Possibly the most annoying thing about Ebay recently (regarding setup, not policy) is their new "more information" options. In theory it's a great idea, allowing you to tell people what manufacturer made something, what genre it is, linking it to a character or particular brand, etc. However, in execution it's just annoying. You choose something in GI Joe for instance, and under company it might have Mattel, under item type it might have toy car, under brand it might have Hannah Montana, and under character it might have Iron Man. You can change all of these, but if you go back to edit your title it changes everything back to the random things I listed above, so you have to change it again. Plus, why not have the default things be something relating to GI Joe if you're posting in the Joe section. Anyone else noticed this?
Sam

Lody
04-07-2008, 11:12 AM
I have been putting up auctions for the last couple of weeks and noticed this junk-I was going to ask here if anyone knew how to permanetly shut if off since I have to keep removing it with each new auction listing

Goldbug
04-10-2008, 10:27 PM
It was only a matter of time...

http://tech.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/04/10/0117255&from=rss

Paypal will be mandatory on eBay. :mad:

whitedalek
04-11-2008, 09:42 AM
I don't know if they could do that here in the US. I would think that requiring Paypal only would violate an antitrust/monopoly law. However, I could be wrong.

warrior
04-11-2008, 12:05 PM
other sites i have been to are bidville, and epier here is a good chart to let you know the amount of listings for the top auctions sites

http://www.powersellersunite.com/auctionsitewatch.php

however i agree i think we should all pic a site somwhere and put the word out

"if you build it they will come"

or start something here fine by me.

Reptilian Popinjay
04-13-2008, 03:17 AM

Is that true??? :confused:

Goldbug
04-17-2008, 11:58 PM
Well if they sure know how to upset people.

http://it.slashdot.org/it/08/04/18/003226.shtml

What a bunch of BS they can't tell me what browser I should use!
Not to mention Safari is way safer than IE! :mad:

Quick Kick - me!!
04-22-2008, 09:34 PM
other sites i have been to are bidville, and epier here is a good chart to let you know the amount of listings for the top auctions sites

http://www.powersellersunite.com/auctionsitewatch.php

however i agree i think we should all pic a site somwhere and put the word out

"if you build it they will come"

or start something here fine by me.

Hey everyone, I have been using YoJoe for quite some time and I came across this post and felt compelled to respond to everyone. Let me start by saying that I am a fellow collector of not only G.I. Joe, but Star Wars and Transformers as well and I too, have become frustrated with the increasingly difficult conditions on Ebay as it pertains to buying/selling action figures.

So, about 6 months ago, I thought to myself, Why use eBay? I mean, I know the traffic that they get is 2nd to none when it comes to selling but it can be soooooo much better. Especially for action figure collectors. So, I decided it was time to start a totally new type of site. One that is purely for collectors, one that kind of levels the paying field for everyone involved.

This site I am currently building will have sort of a stock market feel to it in that sellers will be able to list a figure (FOR FREE and for as long as they want) and enter an "ASK" price that they want to sell it for. A buyer can decide to buy it at that price or enter there own "BID" price for that item. The seller can choose to sell it at that "BID" price or hold firm on his "ASK" price. Another seller can come in at any time and sell to the buyer at their "BID" price as well. It would be a way for collectors to set an actual value of a figure. No more shill bidding, auction sniping, or losing out because the auction gets mysteriously ended by the seller. I think that collectors and buyers alike want to make sure they are getting maximum value for any item.

Another feature I am adding is the ability to list your entire collection onto the site and get real time values that are updated daily based on the market for a particular figure.

Now, like "Warrior" stated above "If you build it, they will come". Well, I am building it and I want everyone to come so, I want to be sure that I get as much feedback as possible since this site will be for us, the collectors. So, any ideas, comments, questions you may have please contact me or post them here and I appreciate everyone's time. Right now, I am planning to launch the site this summer.
In the end, I would really like this site to be the main place everyone goes to, to buy/sell/discuss action figures and I really can't get that to happen without everyone on board so let me know what it would take to get YOU to use it.

Goldbug
04-23-2008, 06:03 PM
Looks like they are trying to kill off the competition...
http://money.cnn.com/2008/04/22/news/companies/EBay_Craigslist.ap/index.htm?postversion=2008042219