Proto Questions [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Proto Questions

Tolan
05-06-2008, 04:16 PM
I dont know much about protos so ...

How are protos able to come into the public ? Theft/gift ?

How does one detemine that this is the real deal ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-GI-Joe-Battle-Station-Proof-Sheet-Prototype_W0QQitemZ230248256091QQihZ013QQcategoryZ 2467QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I think that would have been awesome if it had surfaced

GBPackRat
05-06-2008, 05:51 PM
Dunno, but it shows at least until '94 they had enough of the TTBP to reprint it in other colors (unless this is why was it dropped).

Tanner

PS: Don't know about the figures it came with... Has more of an arctic feel...

KrymsynGardImmoral
05-07-2008, 06:55 AM
Vintage era printing proof material (in this particular auction) generally survives in the hands of the people that worked on the particular item at one point or another, be it printing, artists, costing, engineering, whatever. Research and development people save their art or prototypes, sculptors save their pieces, printers and artists will hold onto proof material and art, model shop workers will save resin prototypes, chinese factory workers save test shots, etc. Of course, stuff can come from anyone at the company with the foresight to walk away with it. in most cases, yes, it isn't exactly legally removed. In the cases of many artists, I have seen items held for future portfolios additions, or because they liked a piece they did.

That particular piece came directly from the home of a former Hasbro employee.

A buyer for these types of items really needs to be educated before buying. Generally, you need to know what you're looking at, who's selling it, where it would fit in the production process, and, when the seller is willing, where the item came from, all of which go towards the piece's provenance.

On the subject of the figures, there's been a good deal of evidence that has surfaced that suggests that many of the later mailaway figures we recieved in the vintage line were initially repaints slated for release in retailer exclusive vehicle 2-packs that were later cancelled. Package art exists for two pieces in particular that depict the Mailaway Deep Six, and the arctic commando Sub Zero, both with repainted Sea and Snow vehicles, respectively. One other piece showing Sub Zero can be found on YoJoe in the form of a package mock-up. I am pretty sure that these two figures, though shown in a hand painted form, were released as part of, or related to, the Arctic Commando's and International mailaway sets, even though they would have been in slightly different decos.

GBPackRat
05-07-2008, 10:05 AM
Kevin,

Thanks for the insight... I always love reading what you have to say on really specific topics as such. I others take the time to stop and read your post.

The knowledge your willing to share is with a great deal to the community. I just hope they know it.

Anyways, thanks again for sharing,
Tanner