Cost for AFA Grading? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Cost for AFA Grading?

Volleydan
05-13-2008, 01:31 PM
I've been a vocal critic of AFA in the past, and I'm still not sure that I want to do this.....

However, I'm considering having a couple of my rare foreign figures graded for potential resale and I want to know (as part of my decision making process) how much it would cost to do so.

I have the red and yellow Funskool Beach Head and the Funskool Zap with Steeler head. One's value is an estimated $750 and the other is probably in the $300 range.

Straight up, from someone who has done this.....assuming standard grading (no rush jobs) and standard return shipping, what am I looking at to have these two figures graded?

Thanks in advance.

KrymsynGardImmoral
05-13-2008, 01:51 PM
Are you just looking for protection? Because Funskool figures are not the best quality packaging, and most would not grade super high. The value of those pieces is in their scarcity and the fact that they are sought after by FS collectors, getting them graded might honestly not affect that value. Someone looking to drop money on that Beach head won't care if it is an 85 or a 65, so long as it looks good for a funskool Joe, and the fragile FS bubbles and flimsy cards would probably get graded harshly. If you just want them protected, buy a case online.

williamwells1
05-13-2008, 02:05 PM
THE COST WOULD BE HERE...http://www.toygrader.com/gradingcost.aspx..

Jonas
05-13-2008, 02:46 PM
In addition to the cost of grading, you will want to make sure that the bubbles are firmly attached to the card. Since the cards are already filmsy, there is always the possibility that the bubble will come off during transit (either going or returning). While you can do everything possible to protect the bubble when shipping the items to AFA, once the items are encased, there is nothing to protect the bubble during return transit (or likewise, when you sell the item).

Volleydan
05-13-2008, 02:51 PM
So if I'm reading the chart correctly, it would be $50 to grade the more expensive one and then another $40 to grade the second one.....and then standard return shipping would be 6.25 x 2 or $12.50.

So I would be looking at $102.50 to grade the two items....plus any sales tax that they charge. I don't understand why they charge more to grade more expensive items???? What's to keep someone from sending in something and claiming it's only worth a fraction of its real value? Oh well.

Add the price to Kevin's thoughts about the potential - or lack thereof - for getting a good grade on a Funskool item (though both of these are really nice) and I think I'll just stick to Oscar's cases for protection and count on their rarity for sale value.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

williamwells1
05-13-2008, 03:11 PM
So if I'm reading the chart correctly, it would be $50 to grade the more expensive one and then another $40 to grade the second one.....and then standard return shipping would be 6.25 x 2 or $12.50.

So I would be looking at $102.50 to grade the two items....plus any sales tax that they charge. I don't understand why they charge more to grade more expensive items???? What's to keep someone from sending in something and claiming it's only worth a fraction of its real value? Oh well.

Add the price to Kevin's thoughts about the potential - or lack thereof - for getting a good grade on a Funskool item (though both of these are really nice) and I think I'll just stick to Oscar's cases for protection and count on their rarity for sale value.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

Volleydan,I wouldnt put the 102.00 into it to grade them.Ive had items graded and lost money overall.On the funskool I wouldnt.I guess it all depends on the items you are grading and how much money you have invested in them,If its worth it.I would just take closeup pics and show the condition of them and that should hold for itself.And let the buyer graded them if he wants.

Volleydan
05-14-2008, 12:29 AM
I agree with what you're all saying.....in this case, I think AFA grading might be at best a "zero sum" proposition - and I would have to worry about damage during shipping to boot. I guess it's kind of like deciding whether to improve your house.....you need to know if you'll get your money back out of the investment. In this case, it sounds like I wouldn't.

Even though I really have next to nothing in them (I bought the Beach Head for $28 and the Zap for $20 :eek: ), I think the best way to go will be just to take the time and make sure I provide any potential buyer with adequate photographs to show the condition of the items as completely as I can.

Thanks again to all those who gave their thoughts. I don't have a lot of MOC stuff, so I'm definitely relying on the expertise of others who do here....

dryhawk37
05-14-2008, 02:14 PM
OR.................................you could email me and we can work something out. I wouldnt want them graded, and if they were I would take them out of the cases personally as I like all of my Funskool stuff to look organized and the same.

Let me know if youre looking for offers on the pair.

Drew

figureauthority
03-02-2016, 08:55 PM
Hi fellow Joe collectors im Andre, im not really a joe collector but just like to invest in big ticket items as are status symbols and do very well over time the item I am referring to is the holy gi nurse of the 1960s
I purchased one on ebay , I actually have 3 in total boxed, I purchased the box separately from the seller sight unseen just his description, total cost USD $5,200 , I asked e seller to end it to afa for grading anyway they denied it as hey said a piece of foreign tape was attached to the box which I wasn't aware of, So I said can you just grade the doll as I have one from them already and it was a great job, the response was no we are too busy a I requires a lot of work so just send us bank cheque for USD $261.38 for postage anyone who is familiar with this item knows it I a rip off extorting attempt and I refuse to pay, have stated contacting US Authorities FBI etc as this is wrong do not deal with them.
I have more emails stating they are too busy but cant copy and paste?