View Full Version : Transformers profanity!!!!!

picollogoku
06-13-2008, 02:32 PM
Did any notice that in the Transformers movie Spike says "oh ---- what do we do now" to Bumble Bee when Unicron is attacking the moon they are on.:eek:

Oh and to the mods if this in bad taste please delete but I just noticed it last night while watching it with my family and thought parents should be aware...

FAKER II
06-13-2008, 03:08 PM
I actually remember this from my childhood. Kids who saw the movie swore that Spike said “Oh @%^!” but the original F.H.E. video release had it cut out. Kids like me, who didn’t see it in theatres, thought that the other kids just imagined it. I’m pretty sure I heard that the reason that the word was added to the movie was to intentionally give it a PG rating instead of a G. That way parents would go to see the movie with their kids and then the parents would have a visual of what toys the kids would be asking for. Isn’t marketing ingenious? The first VHS release that I’m aware of with the bad word was released before Rhino’s version bay a company in Canada.

The profanity in the ’86 Transformers movie pales in comparison to the downright obscene profanity and sexually references in Bays Transformers Movie. The scene which references self stimulation is absolutely inexcusable. I’m actually more offended by this than all the stupid things that other Transformer fans were upset about. I remember reading an interview with Bay in which this scene was mentioned as an example of how well he could improvise humor. He destroyed Transformers’ integrity and actually bragged about it. We can’t blame the writers for the level of profanity in this version of the movie. I think we can partially blame Hasbro for handing over so much control of their property that they didn’t have a say in matters like this.

roboticplanet
06-13-2008, 03:13 PM
Yeah, also there's a bit of profanity when UM is trying to get the matrix to work. Keep in mind it is rated PG.

I believe the old FHE VHS version in the 80's removed the swearing, but a canadian VHS release in the late 90's/early 00's re-introduced it. I think all subsequent versions have since left it in as well. More importantly, did you notice Prime dies? It kind of shook up the franchise and angered children and thus parents back in the day, more than a couple spots of cussing. It even had the effect of changing the GI Joe movie by putting Duke into a coma, so as not to put another franchise in peril.

picollogoku
06-13-2008, 03:20 PM
Hey they brought him back later but what moron that was a good idea. "Hey guys lets kill the guy who never wanted to be leader but was forced into it. You know the main character of the whole series. You know the big red truck who always goes out of his way to be a good guy.":rolleyes:

Super Sport
06-13-2008, 04:43 PM
Heck (:rolleyes: irony...), I'm as low-brow as they come, I cuss a lot, so much so that you'd think the f-word was my middle name. I delight in concocting new ways to use that particular word, and his filthy buddies, mixing strings of expletives and common words together like a foul mouthed bard, reciting my blue prose with a glee normally reserved for kindergartners speaking that first taboo word...

But I just don't get this; What was the thinking behind having a children's cartoon character utter profanity in the first place? Especially in what some perceive to be the halcyon days of the 1980s.

The wisest thing a teacher ever told me, during my yearly stint in summer school, was that ALL words can be beautiful, it just depends on how they are used. That speaks to appropriateness. Using profanity in a cartoon, that was basically a commercial for a toy line, was definitely not appropriate, but it is kinda' funny.

yojoebro82
06-13-2008, 05:41 PM
On the first issue DVD, when you go to the scene select, that whole scene is titled "swear word". Thought that was kinda funny :)

Reptilian Popinjay
06-13-2008, 07:52 PM
That moment is legendary among Transformers fans.

I can even remember seeing the film in a theater in 1986 and all the kids laughed out loud when he said that because no one was expecting it.

Shadow_Contact
06-13-2008, 09:38 PM
Hey what about the Joe movie swear thats sort of been glossed over. I bet it was a swear but then Transformers tanked so they edited it, no need to get a pg for a straight to video. It sounds like Beachhead utter's a s word after fighting Jinx the first time, but its slightly slurred to cover it up?

yojoebro82
06-13-2008, 10:51 PM
You mean when he says, "Shheh.....pathetic." Ehh, I don't know about that one. I think you may be reading too much into that one :)

Hey man, I'm watching the Masters of the Universe live action movie right now. I know my 80's action figure movies :D

statesofeuphoria
06-14-2008, 07:44 AM
They probably did it to solidify a PG rating.

Lim
06-14-2008, 12:30 PM
More importantly, did you notice Prime dies? It kind of shook up the franchise and angered children and thus parents back in the day, more than a couple spots of cussing.

Not around here. All we had was "Optimus Prime dies?! I want to see the movie NOW!!". I didn't know anyone that cried about Prime dying, so, maybe NJ's just off.

Reptilian Popinjay
06-14-2008, 01:29 PM
I remember the sense of shock in the theater when the Decepticons slaughter Ironhide, Ratchet, Prowl and Brawn. There was a kid sitting in front of me who exclaimed very loudly after Megatron nukes Ironhide:

"WHOAH, IRONHIDE DEAD!!!"