TRU Exclusives Senior Ranking 3-Packs: Wave 2 Images [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : TRU Exclusives Senior Ranking 3-Packs: Wave 2 Images

WildWeasel
07-11-2008, 10:43 PM
YoJoe! has received images of the upcoming Wave 2 TRU Exclusive Senior Ranking 3-Packs. In Wave 2 we have, Air Command (Capt. Ace, Wild Bill and Skyduster), Sea Command (Deep Six, Lt. Torpedo and G.I. Joe Cutter) and Iron Grenadier Command (IG Destro, IG Officer and IG Trooper).

Air Command:
http://www.yojoe.com/magazine/2008/07/images/senior-ranking-w2-air-command-sm.jpg (http://www.yojoe.com/magazine/2008/07/images/senior-ranking-w2-air-command-lrg.jpg)
Sea Command:
http://www.yojoe.com/magazine/2008/07/images/senior-ranking-w2-sea-command-sm.jpg (http://www.yojoe.com/magazine/2008/07/images/senior-ranking-w2-sea-command-lrg.jpg)
IG Command:
http://www.yojoe.com/magazine/2008/07/images/senior-ranking-w2-ig-command-sm.jpg (http://www.yojoe.com/magazine/2008/07/images/senior-ranking-w2-ig-command-lrg.jpg)

07/11/08

FireFox91
07-11-2008, 10:58 PM
I saw these at JoeCon and was not impressed at all. Some of these 3-packs are pretty much all repaints for the sake of repainting. They don't really add anything new. The IG pack is a good example. The sea command pack is total repaints except for 2 head sculpts. Hasbro's Starduster is far inferior to the custom I saw at JoeCon that was made up also of 25th parts.

And purple on the IGs, seriously?

WildWeasel
07-11-2008, 11:00 PM
I saw these at JoeCon and was not impressed at all. Some of these 3-packs are pretty much all repaints for the sake of repainting. They don't really add anything new. The IG pack is a good example. The sea command pack is total repaints except for 2 head sculpts. Hasbro's Starduster is far inferior to the custom I saw at JoeCon that was made up also of 25th parts.

And purple on the IGs, seriously?

I'm actually liking these more than the first wave of 3-packs. Those were all pretty much stinkers to me.

g.i.eddie
07-11-2008, 11:51 PM
i love the colors on WB...Ace, meh...Starduster, sweet!

Cutter?!...WTH?!...G-Hs head is just shameful for Hasbro...D6, tha is one sweet bash...i think there is at least four figs used to make him, and he looks cool to boot...nice to see Hasbro steals ideas from us for a change...wish they'd steal more and make a Sarge

ANOTHER DANG DESTRO!

cocoabononohead
07-12-2008, 06:00 AM
:eek:

Well, Well.

Other color schemes could work better for the I. Grenadier, but it's striking after a few glances. Now that it matches Destro's belt is cohesive. But I have my Iron Grenadier Officier already. Destro 2. Or better yet, how bout Metal Head, or let's see some Annihilator's or Voltar as an officer as he always was. Man, Hasbro. Start Jumpin'! Skyduster? Buy the liscensing rights back. This whole Nemesis 'Immortal'. Skyduster, Sssgt Rock 'n' Roll is nonsense. Buck Up. What's with the face on the new Falcon and new carded General Hawk?! Someone hand me a knife..:(
Second, one the Ranking Officers topic, the Torpedo is great complement to the funskool piece. The Gung-Ho head as Cutter works astounding, though as fan perspective, I can see another fan getting somewhat upset about it. Do we really need another Ace figure? How many are their for cryin' out loud? Only one was good I think: Wendel Armbruster, that was kind of need. And the tooling on this Deep Six?? :mad: Get out.

Cobraviper72
07-12-2008, 07:54 AM
As has been said here, I'm not overly impressed with these command sets in general, of the last set, I picked up Grunt off of ebay the rest I didn't really care about and the same can be said about this wave, while I like seeing ACE and more Iron Grenadiers, I'll mostly pass on this wave as well, maybe looking for singles on ebay.

Bermuda Mohawk
07-12-2008, 09:20 AM
set#2: I'm sad to see Hasbro replaced the Deep-Six head that was shown at the Con with this Torpedo repainted one. I feel the mask-less one was a much better representaion of his ARAH v.2 mold than what they are showing here. That sucks. I guess that on top of repainting his helmet orange, I'm gonna have to replace his head. The Cutter hat needs to go. Along with his head.

set #3: And the "Voltar" figure is useless. Actually the IG set is overall fairly useless to me. Will easily pass on that one.

set #1: I like Will Bill and the Ghoststriker Ace, but Sta...Skyduster is of course the best of that trio. Even if Hasbro completely dropped the ball on his deco. Looks like I'll be painting additional parts on him as well.

g.i.eddie
07-12-2008, 10:26 AM
set#2: I'm sad to see Hasbro replaced the Deep-Six head that was shown at the Con with this Torpedo repainted one. I feel the mask-less one was a much better representaion of his ARAH v.2 mold than what they are showing here. That sucks. I guess that on top of repainting his helmet orange, I'm gonna have to replace his head. The Cutter hat needs to go. Along with his head.

set #3: And the "Voltar" figure is useless. Actually the IG set is overall fairly useless to me. Will easily pass on that one.

set #1: I like Will Bill and the Ghoststriker Ace, but Sta...Skyduster is of course the best of that trio. Even if Hasbro completely dropped the ball on his deco. Looks like I'll be painting additional parts on him as well.

i wish they had kept the new D6 head for the 3 pack D6 too, cause with the Torp head it just looks like Torpedo with a different suit on...

ladyjaye03
07-12-2008, 10:49 AM
Even though I have no clue who Skyduster is(must have come out after I quit collecting) I like these waves. Little iffy on Deep Six but overall good.

Dave in the basement
07-12-2008, 10:57 AM
Thanks for posting the pics. Any idea of a launch date on these new packs?

Agent-GHQ
07-12-2008, 11:24 AM
Cutter using Gung Ho's head! WTF!! At least a new head?

karamazov80
07-12-2008, 11:54 AM
I really dig the Starduster and Ace. I will pass on the other sets.

That Cutter is tempting, because he was a pre-86 figure, but that hat just kills him for me. I don't blame Hasbro for trying to save some money, but I won't be buying him. I don't completely understand the repainted Ace with Torpedo head as Deep Six. . .and I just don't feel the need to add a Torpedo in yellow to my collection.

I never cared for Gold Head Destro or any of his goons as a kid, and I don't now. However, I know some people like the Grenadiers, so I'm happy that they are getting these.

Bring on that Air Command pack, though!

John Missal
07-12-2008, 02:45 PM
Wow, now I have nothing but IG officers in my collection and no soldiers... They could have at least made the IG Officer the one with teh silver mask so that all the vintage are troopers...

John M>

Bermuda Mohawk
07-12-2008, 03:47 PM
I don't completely understand the repainted Ace with Torpedo head as Deep Six.

I figured it was based in part on this:

http://www.yojoe.com/action/89/89images/deepsix2.jpg

He is missing the orange paint apps, which makes sense given the cost restirctions of this type of set. Also as we know now, missing the mask-less head. But I think this is what he is supposed to represent.

Rooster3D
07-12-2008, 06:31 PM
I actually like the air command set. Ace in a more believable flight suit with pilot helmet, Wild Bill also with a pilot helmet option, and a JUMP pack to boot. Might be interesting to change out WB parts between this one and the single version.

Cutter is very disappointing. They could have made the same figure and added a head with a more believable ball cap, and it would have made a world of difference. In fact, I knew in my gut that the CP Shipwreck was really intended to be the Cutter body. They tried that previously with Ace and Wild Bill.

You'd think that chimp suit on Deep-Six would make more sense as a deep-sea system, but it still looks terrible to me. If I were in a high-powered position at Hasbro, I'd fire the guy who designed that vest.

I don't give 2 craps enough to comment on the IG set. They could have been great or really terrible, but it doesn't matter because they are outside of my interest zone.

As for the previous SRO sets, I noticed they seem to have a few haters here at yojoe.com. I didn't care much about them... until I got the GI Joe set. I actually enjoyed it. I didn't need another flawed Duke, but once in my hand it was actually quite well done. Equally as impressive looking (although equally as flawed) as the 5-pack/w4 and w7 flying versions. The SRO Hawk is one of my favorite figures thus far. Grunt is not bad, but didn't turn out to be as impressive looking as I thought it would. I dunno, I guess it's the fact that the GI Joe SRO set is well done, whereas the Cobra sets had lots of sloppy paint.

Bermuda Mohawk
07-12-2008, 08:07 PM
the Cobra sets had lots of sloppy paint.

I noticed that as well. Had to really dig to find good ones for myself. Later, picked a crimson set up for my bro, and didn't realize til I was home that the CG Officer didn't even have his Cobra emblem on his chest. :confused:

skullshine
07-13-2008, 01:46 PM
:eek:

Well, Well.

Other color schemes could work better for the I. Grenadier, but it's striking after a few glances. Now that it matches Destro's belt is cohesive. But I have my Iron Grenadier Officier already. Destro 2. Or better yet, how bout Metal Head, or let's see some Annihilator's or Voltar as an officer as he always was.

Yeah, I was kinda bummed that Voltar wasn't included in this set.

snakeeyes1974
07-13-2008, 04:59 PM
reading everyones post and its very upsetting to think that hasbro is making money off of repaints, but this ain't the first time. They did that all through the spytroops and valor vs venom series and i had a hard time buying the figures for that reason. They also did it for the transformers before the movie came out and i had to explain to my daughter why i didn't see the need to buy her a figure she already had just different colors, but on with the SRO packs: I bought the first three mainly to have for my collection. The GIJoe pack did have Grunt and I have displayed the original joes on a shelf in my room as they come out,only need Clutch, Steeler and Short-fuze(if made)and they wil be complete. I bought the crimson collection for the officer really.
Now looking at the new packs, I like the first two joe packs even though some of the color choices are alittle bland. the IG collection i hate the purple, why purple that color wasn't on the version 2 Destro back in the day, but now it is. I htink they could have done something better to make the soldier and officer differ. I will buy one of each just to have but won't be interested in buying second to open for the IG set.

Rooster3D
07-13-2008, 07:01 PM
They did that since 1982 and probably before that; who are you kidding?

Super Sport
07-13-2008, 11:30 PM
So the IG Trooper wears purple and the Officer wears red? Is that an error? Were the Officer and Trooper transposed in the packaging? What rank is the IG in red that comes with the comic pack, a Trooper or an Officer?

redviper
07-14-2008, 07:14 AM
so when this 3 packs are going to hit the stores??
just wonder///

snakeeyes1974
07-14-2008, 07:53 AM
I know they did it back in the 80's but it wasn't every wave like they did with the figures in 2002+ thats all they did look at all the versions of snakeeyes there are in the spytroops and VvV lines compared to the 80's. the repaints are more promiment now than back then and atleast had a good reason for them such as special mission groups not just for the **** of it.

cmderinchief
07-14-2008, 06:02 PM
Typically when the pics hit from China, we're a month or so from these hitting the shelves. I don't know why people are so shocked these are repaints and kit bashed. This is par for the course. I'll still get them.

Rooster3D
07-14-2008, 08:23 PM
Sure, there are several new repaints of Snake Eyes, but there are also three distinct body sculpts, three different head sculpts, and a plethora of accessories tied to this character. It's annoying that they keep making Snake Eyes figures, but at least they are not every single one using the same body mold. Perhaps CC would have been a better example to illustrate your point, or Duke.

Head sculpts I can understand should be different for each character as often as possible, but it doesn't surprise me that bodies are being re-used. In fact, I prefer military figures to have a certain uniformity. It's easy with the hordes of generic Cobra Soldiers, but when you start defining personalities for non-generics such as most of the Joe team, their appearances can start to have too much variety.

snakeeyes1974
07-14-2008, 09:05 PM
I was just using snakeeyes as a quick example since he is the one i look for on the shelves first. its just through the 80's i counted 7 seven versions in 12 years and that leaves 28 versions from 97 to present in 11 years. and before the 25 anniversary line the main one i like is the last of the VvV line with timber. Yes most of the other figures were used the same way and at the time i didnt get them, but trying to now just to have a complete collection. I have turned into a completionist with GIJoe doing the 25th line now. And i dont really care for the figures in the collectors edition from 1999 or around then, but i will get them eventually, i did get the snakeeyes vs storm shadow then.
I will say i'm glad they did this so that a new generation can have the chance to know what excitement we had to play with but with better detail and hopefully wont break as easy for the little ones who actually get GIJoe to play with.

Falcone
07-14-2008, 10:16 PM
I have no clue who Skyduster is(must have come out after I quit collecting)

Starduster (http://www.yojoe.com/action/87/starduster.shtml) aka Skyduster

Why didn't they give him his camo pattern!?:mad: Him and Cutter are the only two I want, so it looks like I am going to have to find them seperate on eBay.

snakeeyes1974
07-15-2008, 06:27 AM
I guess i don't understand the problem some of you are having with the new figures. I don't care for some myself, but I know that because of the updated body mold I want each of the new line just to have. I have been collecting GIJoe since I was young and stopped around '93 because i thought the figures were getting alittle out there(and started back up a couple of years ago once I noticed them on the shelves). Now I'm trying to get atleast one of each, I'm not really worrying much about the total looks. If something about the figures are alittle off well so be it aleast I'll have it just put away. Who knows I might change my mind down the road. I will have to say the colors for deep six are pretty drab and don't make alot of since for a diver, but the yellow suit for torpedo reminds me of the suits for the cartoon series and catches my attention for that reason. I want the skyduster figure more for the fact for he is starduster just renamed and I don't have the original,but looking for him

Rooster3D
07-15-2008, 11:45 AM

I didn't know this character, either. When I first saw it in the unlabeled snapshots from the JoeCon, I thought it was going to be Cartoon Airborne.

RedClaw
07-16-2008, 11:43 AM

Why didn't they give him his camo pattern!?:mad: Him and Cutter are the only two I want, so it looks like I am going to have to find them seperate on eBay.

Why would you do that, and not buy the whole set? Even if you divide the price of $14.99 over both of the figures you want, that's STILL $7.50 each - that's retail prices man.

Keep the other or sell it on eBay to cut the price even more - but why take a real sale away from TRU? That just hurts the exclusive line.

Rooster3D
07-16-2008, 11:50 AM
But they are in two seperate packages, so that's back to $15 each, which is what you might likely be paying for those figures on ebay, after shipping and stuff. Buy the whole package, and now you have 4 extra figures you can sell for at least $7 each, or use to trade.

Falcone
07-16-2008, 01:49 PM
I bought Grunt for under retail off of eBay including shipping. Its a long drive to the nearest TRU, so factor in gas, it was muchg easier and cheaper to get it from eBay. And about supporting exclusives, I don't want to support them. Its real crappy when figures I need to complete my team are exclusives. It's like the Target vehicles, I only needed Grand Slam and one AWE w/ Crankcase. They were exlcusives so they were harder to find and I would have to buy stuff I dont want for them.

THE BEAT COP
07-23-2008, 07:03 PM
the gh head in my oponion needs a taller neck

redviper
07-24-2008, 06:58 AM
Hey Guys..for Those Who Don't Like The Purple On Ig....
Is Very Simple To Fix....just Paint It Red...i'm Going To Do That..
I Hate The Purple On This New Figures....there Is No Sense...bad Move On Hasbro...

Yojoe!!