'92 Duke filecard/ "battle cycle" ? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : '92 Duke filecard/ "battle cycle" ?

Icebreaker
09-17-2008, 04:41 AM
Is there a prototype or any idea of what the "battle cycle" mentioned on the '92 Duke filecard was/is?

Net-Viper X
09-17-2008, 05:17 PM
I wonder if it might be an error that is supposed to be Battle Copter, since several of those got released in this time period. Or maybe battle cycle is what they call that bike mounted on the back of the Whale:D .

Shadow_Contact
09-17-2008, 10:45 PM
No, the whale bike wasnt the battle cycle. The name of the whale bike was the initiation. The joes would make one of the new guys ride that into battle.

Mark W. Bellomo
09-19-2008, 09:10 AM
When Larry wrote the file cards, some "things" were edited out/missed/replaced incorrectly at the very last minute by well-meaning copy editors.

For instance, here's an excerpt from Wild Weasel's new entry in the 2nd edition of the Ultimate Guide:

In the mass-produced file card, there is an editing error in the following sentence: "Wild Weasel cut his teeth in the bus [bold and underline mine] wars of South America and Africa during the last decade." When questioned about these "bus wars," Larry Hama stated: "They [the copy editors] left an 'H' out of that sentence ['bush wars']… a typo must be at fault." So then, Wild Weasel gained early experience as a fighter pilot ("cut his teeth") in the Bush Wars of South America and Africa (i.e. the South African-Angolan Conflict; 1966-1989]) during the 1970's. A "bush war" has traditionally been defined as any undeclared, minor skirmish involving more than one nation, where there is a tendency for one side to greatly overmatch the other. Historically, such a war has been fought "in the bush"--i.e. in the outlands of forests, deserts, savannahs (e.g. the "African bush"), in sparsely populated and/or fairly uncivilized areas. In Its most derogatory denotation, it is the "bush league" of wars, with other interesting implications involving the superior military force of a "bush war" acting in a supposedly more civilized way…

-- MWB

Propaedeutic
09-30-2008, 09:46 PM
There is a Battle Cycle driven by Big Bear in the DiC cartoon episode "Chunnel." I wonder if this was a vehicle canceled at the last minute.

ETA: The cycle also shows up in several battle scenes of "Kindergarten Commandos." Or rather, one scene whose animation is reused several times. Duke is driving the cycle in that episode. The cannon is mounted on a sidecar, and the driver is enclosed under a grilled canopy. The driver is seen sitting, but it looks like you could also ride it like a Recon Sled.

dryhawk37
10-01-2008, 06:02 PM
I have an in house Hasbro catalog that actually shows these vehicles, but they were obviously not created. I think that they were cancelled, but would not be surprised if mock ups were created for them. The pictures I have of them are black and white, and very small but if I can find them Ill scan them and post them here.

Propaedeutic
10-01-2008, 11:04 PM
Really? Does it look anything like the DiC vehicle?

http://www.propadeutic.com/battlecycle.jpg

10-10-2008, 03:42 PM
When Larry wrote the file cards, some "things" were edited out/missed/replaced incorrectly at the very last minute by well-meaning copy editors.-- MWB

I love these file card drafts and have bought a ton over the years. And if you have any, I'm always buying.... :)

dryhawk37
11-14-2008, 09:59 PM
It looks EXACLY like that cycle now that you mention it. Sorry for not responding earlier, but I couldnt get good pics of it. Have to retry next time Im up at storage.

TOPSON
12-04-2008, 09:20 PM
It looks EXACLY like that cycle now that you mention it. Sorry for not responding earlier, but I couldnt get good pics of it. Have to retry next time Im up at storage.

So Drew, where are those pics?
Chris

dryhawk37
01-04-2009, 08:10 PM
OK, I finally got around to re-taking the pictures of the Battle Cycle. They are from a size comparison binder used in-house at Hasbro:

http://i92.photobucket.com/albums/l36/dryhawk37/Complete%20figures/P1030013.jpg

TOPSON
01-05-2009, 07:48 PM
UGH! That pic sux. Show us the good stuff. I know you own a dozen unreleased multi colored funskool versions of that vehicle. LOL.

Thanks for getting that pic posted.
Chris

Falcone
01-30-2009, 11:07 PM
I always wondered about that cycle in the DIC episodes. Was there any similar plans for the red Cobra Helicopter that also appeared in the DIC cartoon?

dryhawk37
02-01-2009, 02:09 PM
I'm not sure which helicopter you are talking about, although recently (I think on ebay) I saw a model cel for the DIC cartoon series with a Locust in red and white with medical crosses on it.

Falcone
02-01-2009, 11:25 PM
Here is the helicopter.

Icebreaker
02-04-2009, 04:03 AM
Here is the helicopter.

That's cool.

Falcone
02-07-2009, 12:40 PM
Yes, it would have made a great toy. Cobra needs a transport helicopter for carrying around high ranking officers.