Beach Head and Tunnel Rat [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Beach Head and Tunnel Rat

kurthalsey
09-22-2008, 11:13 PM
2 of my all time favorites. As a kid, and still today. I generally gravitate towards more of a military theme- nothing neon or with lasers!

http://www.kurthalsey.com/joes/beachhead.jpghttp://www.kurthalsey.com/joes/tunnelrat.jpg

I've been trying to rebuild my collection with non AFA items after I sold my graded stuff, and I have to admit most of the fun is in the chase!

http://www.kurthalsey.com/joes/fumbling.jpg

Vroomer
09-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Very nice collection there! :)

DarkTraveler777
09-26-2008, 04:51 PM
Beautiful collection! Tunnel Rat and Beachhead are favorites of mine as well. I still remember when my mom purchased Beachhead for me from KB Toys as a kid. Fond memories. :)

I am really digging your Shockwave. That is one gap in my collection that I'd like to soon fill.

Just curious, but as an AFA collector myself why did your preference change to non-AFA graded MOC figures? Is it the price involved with purchasing graded items or was it something else?

kurthalsey
09-26-2008, 08:12 PM
Just curious, but as an AFA collector myself why did your preference change to non-AFA graded MOC figures? Is it the price involved with purchasing graded items or was it something else?

No bashing, just what I based my decision on-

When I saw Cloud City purchase a large amount of sealed Nintendo games on ebay, and then saw some one here in Portland selling graded video games before it was known that CGA was even grading them... and then Cloud City merged with Brian's Toys, and Brian's Toys and and whatever Collectible brokerage firm the Cloud City guy started to do the Premiere Collect auction of AFA stuff, and Brian's Toys then having a huge collection of graded video games as soon as grading of them was announced... Ahhhh! :)

I read that the ex head of Cloud City indeed has his name on CGA/AFA's business license in the state of Georgia, and runs his new brokerage business in an office within the same building as AFA. I have also seen reports of people receiving letters from his brokerage offering to buy their graded items right after they get them back. All of this really just started to seem like something I didn't want to be a part of. I make every effort to continue my education in life and use my consumer dollar to vote for things I make decisions about.

WHY I LOVE GRADING- cause I know an 85 isn't going to have a spider vein in it, and an 80 is probably going to only have one. That sure beats buying based on crappy ebay pictures of MOC stuff and then getting it and being disappointed! I love the AFA cases too.

DarkTraveler777
09-26-2008, 08:47 PM
Really, really interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing. :)

I am fairly new to the toy collecting hobby and so I find any information regarding the "behind the scenes" issues of the hobby fascinating. I appreciate the candid response and once again please allow me to compliment you on the great looking collection.

What is your next "must have" piece?

kurthalsey
09-26-2008, 09:11 PM
What is your next "must have" piece?

Recondo, Rip Cord, Torpedo, and Airborne are the biggies I am searching for. A Dusty and a Snow Job wouldn't hurt either! I would like to get some Brazil and Mexico pieces too- just a few to spice it up!

You should share some pics of your favorite pieces!

EFIL4OEJ.I.G
10-01-2008, 12:36 AM
I have to admit that your collection is really nice to look at. A question if I may, what is a spider vein? Is it a crease in the card/art?

kurthalsey
10-01-2008, 12:51 AM
I have to admit that your collection is really nice to look at. A question if I may, what is a spider vein? Is it a crease in the card/art?

Spider veins are subtle creases in the card. It sort of wrinkles the printed image and colors a bit, and maybe that is where the term "spider" comes from- sort of web like. On my eels picture in the other thread- you can sort of see some spider veins on the left of the "G" and on the left of the hang tab, on the flat logo Eels. It's often something you have to get in the right light to see. It may be from the printed image being on paper that is glued to cardstock, and when the cardstock is creased, the paper wrinkles instead of creasing cleanly. Really common, and some are worse than others.

Erick
10-01-2008, 01:23 AM
I can honestly say you own the most pristine carded figures i've seen, they seem so perfect :eek:

And being a MOC collector as well it's almost painful to watch ;) :D

Thanks for sharing dude!

kurthalsey
10-01-2008, 01:28 AM
I can honestly say you own the most pristine carded figures i've seen, they seem so perfect :eek:

And being a MOC collector as well it's almost painful to watch ;) :D

Thanks for sharing dude!

Thanks for the kind words! You wouldn't even believe all of the Tunnel Rats I have had to get to find one good one... I had one that was perfect, but then the whole right side of the blister dried up and came unsealed. Then I bought a beautiful unpunched one that came shipped in only a bubble envelope and was completely crushed and mangled. I bought another one then and the figure burst through the top of the blister during shipping. I still have the 2 damaged ones- I should post pics of horror!