Triple Win, no offer, still graded? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Triple Win, no offer, still graded?

kurthalsey
10-09-2008, 05:36 PM
How does AFA grade a Triple Win figure with no Triple Win offer in the bubble? Especially fishy because the seller has a whole mess of carded Triple Win's with bubble lifts and the offer removed that are not graded. Would they really grade something tampered with like that? I feel bad for the bidder if they don't notice that in time. I don't think I've ever seen one without an offer inside if it's still sealed- has anyone else?

http://cgi.ebay.com/GI-Joe-MOC-1983-Series-2-Peach-File-Torpedo-AFA-75_W0QQitemZ370093772857QQihZ024QQcategoryZ2467QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Snake-eyes01
10-09-2008, 06:18 PM
If I'm not mistaken it looks like there is a tear on the card in the lower right behind the bubble?? Very fishy indeed...

cobraferret
10-10-2008, 04:49 PM
That is a fraudulent sticker..Look at the color...its off. and where is the afa holo??I looked it up and it has one with same grade..so my guess is they have a sticker and modified it or 2 afa has shown their not a true authority.I mean seriously did they go to school for grading action figures??what makes you or I not an authority??
What we consider a c-9 someone else might consider a c-8
so I see way too many inconsistencies with afa.

kurthalsey
10-10-2008, 04:59 PM
That is a fraudulent sticker..Look at the color...its off. and where is the afa holo??

Well, the serial checks out-

Serial Number: 18686069
Date Graded: Sep 19, 2008
Grade 75 (EX+/NM )
Blister: 85
Figure: 85
Card: 70
Year: 1983
Company: HASBRO
Series: GI JOE
Title: SERIES 2 / 34 BACK
Name: TORPEDO
Variation: PEACH FILE CARD

I did write AFA to clarify their stance on grading something like that, but they have not written back.

Cobras Toys
10-10-2008, 05:59 PM
I got a afa 70 lady j i bought on ebay with no tripple win as well. I was really disapointed when i recieved it because i found about 10 reasons why it should never have been graded in the first place and the missing triple win was just 1.

bigjohnwoo
10-10-2008, 09:48 PM
I got a afa 70 lady j i bought on ebay with no tripple win as well. I was really disapointed when i recieved it because i found about 10 reasons why it should never have been graded in the first place and the missing triple win was just 1.

If it was a lifted bubble/resealed figure and AFA missed it, I'd contact them. I wouldn't be surprised if you managed to negotiate for them to refund you your win price. They've got no interest in having their screw-ups (if yours, in fact, is one) in circulation. It only damages their reputation, and contrary to the consensus, they're actually very professional and well natured. And for you to buy something guaranteed by their authority entitles you, I would think, to renumeration if they're shown to be wrong. (I seem to recall publicized instances of fakes getting graded where AFA stepped up to the plate and bought back pieces, admitting their error and apologizing. It was years ago though. Maybe someone else could remember.)

As for this Torpedo, I would agree that it's a lifted bubble/missing triple win piece. The tearing of the card behind the figure looks like it would come from a lifted bubble. The holo is there. It's running vertically on the left side of the case at the bottom. That's where it resides in the classic view cases. The corner of the hologram can be seen as the mirrored object reflecting the label of the grading sticker. Only the clear-view graded figures have the holo on the grade label.

If AFA is giving this card a 70 subgrade on account of the behind-the-figure tearing and not recognizing a missing gamepiece and resealed bubble, that's pretty embarrassing. Without the piece in hand, I can't say for certain that's what's happening. I suppose there is the off chance that this is some bizarre factory error missing game piece card with weird sealed damage, but obviously that's very unlikely.

Several years ago I was routinely pointing out missing triple win cards as evidence of reseals, and this was new info to a lot of people I was dealing with. It seems most people know to watch out for this now, but if AFA isn't one of them, yeesh.

kurthalsey
10-11-2008, 01:21 PM

Bigjohnwoo has some great points, and I agree you should contact AFA about that one. I haven't heard back from them about my inquiry into the missing offer and their stance on it.

STINGER-UNDERCOVER
10-14-2008, 08:21 AM
This Is What I Just Found.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.fettsplace.net/carded/gi-joe/gi-joe-twg-crimsonguard.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.ffurg.com/FForums/index.php%3Fshowtopic%3D3934%26mode%3Dthreaded&h=680&w=545&sz=228&hl=en&start=86&usg=__t7HRUG2m0V4j_PKTid6zaKGNOEo=&tbnid=UpD9epqhqOqcoM:&tbnh=139&tbnw=111&prev=/images%3Fq%3DGI%2BJOE%26start%3D80%26gbv%3D2%26nds p%3D20%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN

How Intresting Is This. Wonder How Many Of These Have Been Sold On Ebay On Moc Figures. Just Funny How We Are Talking About The Resealing Of Torpedo Figure. This Could Be A Very Good Thing To Watch Out For When Buying Moc Figures. Someone Always Looking To Make Things Look Real. If Its Not Repaints From Ebay Its Blisters On Repro Cards. And Iam Sure It Will Not Be In The Listing On Ebay. Saying O U Are Bidding On A Repro Card With Repro Blister. Just Wanted To Give U Guys A Heads Up On This When Spending $$ On The Moc Figures. Not Just Gi Joes. Looks Like He Will Make Them For Anything.

zark1976
10-14-2008, 02:43 PM
I think that the seller was also involved in some massive repro rocket firing Boba Fett productions.

Jonas
10-15-2008, 02:25 AM
Well, the serial checks out-

Serial Number: 18686069
Date Graded: Sep 19, 2008
Grade 75 (EX+/NM )
Blister: 85
Figure: 85
Card: 70
Year: 1983
Company: HASBRO
Series: GI JOE
Title: SERIES 2 / 34 BACK
Name: TORPEDO
Variation: PEACH FILE CARD

I did write AFA to clarify their stance on grading something like that, but they have not written back.

A missing Triple Win piece doesn't necessarily mean that a card has been resealed. If you look at the subgrade for the card, you'll notice 75--a grade that usually indicates (among other things) some litho tearing. It is possible that the bubble was lifted to remove the TW piece. There would be some tearing, albeit very slight.

Also, it isn't out of the realm of possibility that Hasbro simply did not include a TW piece. I have carded figures where the figures are broken inside. Nothing has been removed, resealed, or otherwise tampered with.

kurthalsey
10-15-2008, 01:02 PM
A missing Triple Win piece doesn't necessarily mean that a card has been resealed. If you look at the subgrade for the card, you'll notice 75--a grade that usually indicates (among other things) some litho tearing. It is possible that the bubble was lifted to remove the TW piece. There would be some tearing, albeit very slight.

Also, it isn't out of the realm of possibility that Hasbro simply did not include a TW piece. I have carded figures where the figures are broken inside. Nothing has been removed, resealed, or otherwise tampered with.

True, but as I said- the seller has a ton of other stuff that is lifted, and the offers are all removed. I did not say it's a reseal... I believe they graded the card a 70 for the rip (which can be seen in the picture, and it looks like all their other ripped and lifted ungraded items) which allowed the offer to be removed. My question is- is that not tampering and is it a complete and gradeable carded figure then?