whats AFA graded figures? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : whats AFA graded figures?

abazou
11-07-2008, 11:45 AM
i c people talking about them all the time. Oh and they look expensive :)

GI Steevy
11-07-2008, 12:58 PM
AFA stands for Action Figure Authority, a split off from one of the comics grading groups.

AFA figures are just that, figures that have been graded by the AFA. Reportedly, they have a rather hefty cost to grade new figures, which is a large reason they are so expensive, and the "perception" that these figures will somehow be more valuable later on that those ungraded.

Volleydan
11-07-2008, 01:08 PM
AFA - Action Figure Authority - was founded about eight years ago by the owner of Cloud City Collectibles (at least it was his name on the original business license for AFA).

They promote themselves as an independent third party grading service for action figures. A toy owner mails them an item, they grade it and seal it in an acrylic case, and return it to the owner. Their grading scale ranges from 0 to 100 in increments of 5 - the higher the grade, the better the item's condition is. They also have designations of "Y" for yellowed bubble and "U" for uncirculated toys - items that were submitted in sealed cases and have "never been touched by human hands". (I think they learned that last trick from the coin collecting world.)

The cost of their service depends on the age, size, and value of the toy as well as the requested turnaround time. They also charge (substantially) for return shipping. For example, IIRC, it costs about $45 to have a 25th anniversary Joe figure graded (with quick turnaround and return shipping). This is one reason AFA graded items sell for more than ungraded toys - the seller has to recoup the cost of having the item graded.

Their selling points are to (1) guarantee a certain condition of the item for potential buyers, (2) to preserve items of a high grade, and (3) to increase the potential sale price of an item for a seller.

As far as the true value of an AFA graded item, opinions vary wildly. Some maintain that they are worth far more than an ungraded item because their condition is 'certified'. Since only a small percentage of MOC items are graded, the argument is that an AFA graded item is rarer than that same item without a grade. Plus, the cases make for great display.

The other side of the argument is that AFA grading does not add any substantial value to a toy. These people believe that an AFA-graded item is no rarer than an ungraded item - because any MOC item can be graded. In other words, your AFA 90 Snake Eyes might be the only one in the world with that grade, but only until someone else submits one.

AFA detractors also point to a perceived lack of consistency in their grading process and the several high-profile cases where fake/resealed/repro items received grades (though AFA has typically taken great care to 'make good' in these cases). Detractors also point to a questionable relationship between AFA and several large online toy stores that offer large amounts of graded items.

AFA has branched out and now has sister companies that grade dolls, video games, and comic books, and probably other stuff that I can't remember right now.

In the end, the decision on whether to support AFA and it's products is yours. I personally don't like them but there are people on the boards who swear by them. It's your collection and your money and don't ever let anyone else tell you what to do with either!

Da_Last_2_Walk
11-07-2008, 01:08 PM
i c people talking about them all the time. Oh and they look expensive :)
Here is there website:
http://www.toygrader.com/

I buy AFA graded toys and recomend using their service. I wanted to get that in before a "certain somebody" starts bashes AFA.

There is no doubt that some AFA 80/85 figures command high prices.

skullheadman
11-07-2008, 01:20 PM
I think Volleydan deserves major kudos for his incredibly informative, well-rounded, unbiased description of AFA. With such a potentially polarizing subject that usually incites tempers and trash talking, he answered the question thoroughly, providing insight into both sides of the playing field concerning AFA without taking sides. And that's rare in our sometimes very opinionated hobby, especially when it comes to AFA.

You da man, Volleydan! That was the most even-keeled post about AFA I've ever seen. If you have a stance on AFA, it is not apparent as far as I can tell.

abazou
11-07-2008, 01:33 PM
AFA - Action Figure Authority - was founded about eight years ago by the owner of Cloud City Collectibles (at least it was his name on the original business license for AFA).

They promote themselves as an independent third party grading service for action figures. A toy owner mails them an item, they grade it and seal it in an acrylic case, and return it to the owner. Their grading scale ranges from 0 to 100 in increments of 5 - the higher the grade, the better the item's condition is. They also have designations of "Y" for yellowed bubble and "U" for uncirculated toys - items that were submitted in sealed cases and have "never been touched by human hands". (I think they learned that last trick from the coin collecting world.)

The cost of their service depends on the age, size, and value of the toy as well as the requested turnaround time. They also charge (substantially) for return shipping. For example, IIRC, it costs about $45 to have a 25th anniversary Joe figure graded (with quick turnaround and return shipping). This is one reason AFA graded items sell for more than ungraded toys - the seller has to recoup the cost of having the item graded.

Their selling points are to (1) guarantee a certain condition of the item for potential buyers, (2) to preserve items of a high grade, and (3) to increase the potential sale price of an item for a seller.

As far as the true value of an AFA graded item, opinions vary wildly. Some maintain that they are worth far more than an ungraded item because their condition is 'certified'. Since only a small percentage of MOC items are graded, the argument is that an AFA graded item is rarer than that same item without a grade. Plus, the cases make for great display.

The other side of the argument is that AFA grading does not add any substantial value to a toy. These people believe that an AFA-graded item is no rarer than an ungraded item - because any MOC item can be graded. In other words, your AFA 90 Snake Eyes might be the only one in the world with that grade, but only until someone else submits one.

AFA detractors also point to a perceived lack of consistency in their grading process and the several high-profile cases where fake/resealed/repro items received grades (though AFA has typically taken great care to 'make good' in these cases). Detractors also point to a questionable relationship between AFA and several large online toy stores that offer large amounts of graded items.

AFA has branched out and now has sister companies that grade dolls, video games, and comic books, and probably other stuff that I can't remember right now.

In the end, the decision on whether to support AFA and it's products is yours. I personally don't like them but there are people on the boards who swear by them. It's your collection and your money and don't ever let anyone else tell you what to do with either!

wow thanks a lot for the info, i can simply say now that AFA is not for me :) I can do lots more with that extra money than spending it on that... unless maybe AFA scarlet and lady jay can strip? maybe then i'd consider :p

Super Sport
11-07-2008, 01:48 PM
I think Volleydan deserves major kudos for his incredibly informative, well-rounded, unbiased description of AFA.

Ditto! An equitable disquisition indeed. That was dope Volley!

Volleydan
11-07-2008, 01:52 PM
Ditto! An equitable disquisition indeed. That was dope Volley!

Maybe I'm just a nerd (I do collect toys after all) but I can't help but love the use of the phrases "equitable disquisition" and "dope" in successive sentences!!!