Should AFA graded items be given a date stamp and expiration date on the label? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Should AFA graded items be given a date stamp and expiration date on the label?

frozentundra
11-17-2008, 10:05 PM
Graded items deteriorate over time. Figures will yellow, o-rings will break, etc. Should the AFA grading sticker include the date graded (I know it's available from their website) and an expiration date for that grading? What if that AFA 95 V1 Storm Shadow goes yellow over time, the o-ring breaks over time, and the bow string snapped when your brother-in-law grabbed it off the shelf? Is it still a 95? Or should it have been an AFA 95, graded 10/2006, expires 10/2016?

kurthalsey
11-18-2008, 12:05 AM
I think they should give a stamp that notes a Triple Win offer was removed when the bubble was lifted and torn up, instead of just grading the card a 70 for the rip! ;)

I don't know why an expiration stamp would be necessary. No one would ever send them in to be regraded after they 'expire". I guess it would be only to warn a buyer 10 years from now that something might be different with the condition... but that is so hard to sort out in my head how it would work and how it would be widely interpreted.

Volleydan
11-18-2008, 07:16 AM
In the end, AFA is just a pretty case and one person's opinion of the condition of the figure inside. If you count on AFA (or anyone else) to guarantee the condition of a toy, it's just a matter of time before you get one that's not in the condition you think it should be and feel ripped off.

If condition is an issue for you when you purchase a toy - particularly a high end toy - then there is no substitute for you doing your homework on the piece. In the business world, they call it "due diligence".

Get pictures; ask the seller specific questions; hold it in your hands if possible. No one can tell whether you'll be satisfied with an item like you can....like so many other things in life, there are no good shortcuts.

Da_Last_2_Walk
11-18-2008, 07:40 AM
Graded items deteriorate over time. Figures will yellow, o-rings will break, etc. Should the AFA grading sticker include the date graded (I know it's available from their website) and an expiration date for that grading? What if that AFA 95 V1 Storm Shadow goes yellow over time, the o-ring breaks over time, and the bow string snapped when your brother-in-law grabbed it off the shelf? Is it still a 95? Or should it have been an AFA 95, graded 10/2006, expires 10/2016?

I don't think there should be an expiration date.

If the owner of an AFA toy sees that their figure has deteriorated over time, it is their choice whether they send it in to get regraded. The collector could also sell their item and look for a better one.

I still love how AFA haters, who have never used AFA's services, chime in on every AFA thread. Hate on!

frozentundra
11-18-2008, 12:49 PM
I don't think there should be an expiration date.

If the owner of an AFA toy sees that their figure has deteriorated over time, it is their choice whether they send it in to get regraded. The collector could also sell their item and look for a better one.

I still love how AFA haters, who have never used AFA's services, chime in on every AFA thread. Hate on!

I was just asking a question. This thread doesn't need to turn into a flame war.

Da_Last_2_Walk
11-18-2008, 01:53 PM
I was just asking a question. This thread doesn't need to turn into a flame war.
It's all gravy baby!

I wasn't directing my last statement towards you.

I keep reading how others criticize AFA. If they can hate on AFA, I can defend AFA!

Volleydan
11-18-2008, 02:27 PM
Nothing anyone has said, even if detrimental toward AFA, has been directed toward you or anyone who supports AFA in any way.....but when you call people "haters", you're making it personal.

I often criticize AFA; however, I take great care not to impugn anyone who supports their product. I also always take great care not to post anything that isn't true - or in the case where someone asks for opinions, mine are honestly given. AFA isn't a wimpy kid that needs you to 'defend' it, but if you choose to do so, please stick to presenting facts and leave the insults out of it.

To avoid trouble with the mods, that's going to be my only comment on this.

Da_Last_2_Walk
11-19-2008, 08:21 AM
Nothing anyone has said, even if detrimental toward AFA, has been directed toward you or anyone who supports AFA in any way.....but when you call people "haters", you're making it personal.
Then what would you call somebody who constantly bashes AFA?

I often criticize AFA; however, I take great care not to impugn anyone who supports their product. I also always take great care not to post anything that isn't true - or in the case where someone asks for opinions, mine are honestly given. AFA isn't a wimpy kid that needs you to 'defend' it, but if you choose to do so, please stick to presenting facts and leave the insults out of it.
One question:
Have you ever used AFA's services? Or do you just repeat "horror" stories you've heard from others about AFA?

All my statements about AFA are factual. I'm not trying to insult you, I was responding to your comment.

To avoid trouble with the mods, that's going to be my only comment on this.
Nice save!