What does it cost a 25th MOC figure graded? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : What does it cost a 25th MOC figure graded?

Desert Scorpion
11-28-2008, 05:52 AM
What does it cost a 25th MOC figure graded? What do they look for when grading? I've been to the AFA site but I don't fully understand the charts. Please help with some info, thanks

Volleydan
11-28-2008, 10:25 AM
It's complicated, so don't feel bad.

First, their grading criteria are a closely guarded secret. That could be because they don't want people to know what they are looking for (it's easier to fraud if you know what they're looking for) or it could be because they don't really have any set criteria :D .

The price will depend on which grading tier that you want to use and how quickly you want the item turned around and back in your hands. I beleive the cheapest option (standard grading with slowest turnaround) runs close to $30 per figure when all is said and done. It goes up from there. I think if you get the highest tier and the fastest shipping, it will cost in the $80 range to grade a carded figure. There are others on here who use AFA pretty frequently who can nail those numbers down for you.

As an aside, I don't understand how they can charge different rates to grade similar items...either they follow their criteria or they don't. They say it costs more to grade a more valuable item - why? If they follow their set criteria on every figure, then there is no more work involved in grading a 25th anniversary Duke MOC than there is in grading a 1982 Snake Eyes MOC.

I understand paying more for a rush job. I understand paying more if there's a case upgrade option. I can understand charging more to grade larger items...but I don't get paying different prices to grade similar items.

Da_Last_2_Walk
11-28-2008, 11:45 AM
What does it cost a 25th MOC figure graded? What do they look for when grading? I've been to the AFA site but I don't fully understand the charts. Please help with some info, thanks To get a 25TH Joe graded, it will cost you $20 under the Standard Tier. It takes a little over a month to get graded, but it's probably the most cost effective method for your situation. You will also have to pay for return shipping & insurance.

The final grade will be base on the overall condition of the card,blister & figure. The final grade is NOT an average of the 3 subgrades.

Card - The backer card will be judged against creasing, bending, rolling, tearing, scuffing, scratching, lifting, print marks, loss of gloss, soiling, discoloring, edge wear, nicks, punctures, ink or foreign markings, peg hole punch, tape repair, focus, price sticker, sticker tear, sticker residue, water damage, bubbling and attached foreign objects.

Blister - The blister will be judged against dents, scratches, fading, yellowing, clouding, sticker residue, tearing, cuts, lifting, soiling, rub marks, crushing, gluing , factory cut and foreign items (ink mark or staple etc.).

Figure - The actual figure will be considered mint unless there exists a defect that detracts from its overall eye appeal. Defects include paint wear, discoloration, over-spray, fading or dismemberment. If the carded figure comes with a collector coin, trading card or other insert, they will also be rated against overall eye appeal.

Please consider your "source" when obtaining information about AFA. I have used their services and are happy with them. Some people have no clue about AFA, but will tell you every negative thing have heard or can think of.

You can call or email AFA about any questions you might have. They will be happy to help you.

I hoped I answered your questions.