AFA 60 USS Flagg! [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : AFA 60 USS Flagg!

Da_Last_2_Walk
12-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Back up for auction!

http://cgi.ebay.com/GI-JOE-USS-FLAGG-AFA-60_W0QQitemZ110324548347QQihZ001QQcategoryZ2467QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Volleydan
12-10-2008, 04:42 PM
I wonder if the original buyer stiffed him....it sure sounds like it. Unfortunately, I bet that happens far more on big-ticket items than on cheaper stuff.

FYI, a (much nicer) ungraded one sold just a couple of days ago for +/- $7,200 as well. I mean, this one was clean....probably the nicest looking box I've ever seen. It even had the original shipping box.....

Da_Last_2_Walk
12-10-2008, 04:52 PM
I wonder if the original buyer stiffed him....it sure sounds like it. Unfortunately, I bet that happens far more on big-ticket items than on cheaper stuff.

FYI, a (much nicer) ungraded one sold just a couple of days ago for +/- $7,200 as well. I mean, this one was clean....probably the nicest looking box I've ever seen. It even had the original shipping box.....It only ended 3 days ago. The sellers says the buyer backed out of the deal. When I sell high priced items, I offer payment plans or more time to pay. However, the seller might need payment right away.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gi-Joe-uss-flagg-aircraft-carrier-6001-never-opened_W0QQitemZ230312332759QQihZ013QQcategoryZ349 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Super Sport
12-10-2008, 06:01 PM
7k+! I don't think I've ever even paid that much for a car.

kurthalsey
12-10-2008, 06:22 PM
Same bidder bought the 7k one and the AFA graded one. No wonder he backed out of the graded one...

I know bidding is private, but 24 feedbacks from both high bidders and the same bid history even though it's obscured.

Da_Last_2_Walk
02-15-2009, 04:40 PM
Back one more again!

http://cgi.ebay.com/GI-JOE-USS-FLAGG-AFA-60_W0QQitemZ110351792063QQihZ001QQcategoryZ2467QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Volleydan
02-15-2009, 06:47 PM
With what MISB Flaggs seem to go for, he has a chance at selling this one for $8,500.

I do think it's funny when the seller mentions that in his opinion, the item should have gotten a 70, not a 60.....aren't those both below average grades?

Da_Last_2_Walk
02-15-2009, 08:19 PM
With what MISB Flaggs seem to go for, he has a chance at selling this one for $8,500.True dat! He's also taking offers, so he must be willing to deal.

I do think it's funny when the seller mentions that in his opinion, the item should have gotten a 70, not a 60.....aren't those both below average grades?Agreed! I always give a shiest look :rolleyes:, when I read...."This AFA 80 Footloose should have came back an AFA 90, I don't know what AFA is smokin?" in auctions.

Even though this is only an AFA 60.....it's still a MISB USS Flagg! I'd take it!

kurthalsey
02-17-2009, 03:40 PM
It would be nice if people were more descriptive instead of just giving the grade number. I had an AFA 60 Firefly that was gorgeous- just had some torn paper on the card in one spot. Otherwise, it was a beautiful piece. But then you see an AFA 70 with creases everywhere.

So on this Flagg... is it all edge wear? Are there creases? Water damage, staining? One giant rip in the back that you'd never see? For that kind of coin you shouldn't have to pick some one's brain for the details.

A 60 grade is still considered "excellent".

Da_Last_2_Walk
02-18-2009, 01:24 PM
It would be nice if people were more descriptive instead of just giving the grade number. I had an AFA 60 Firefly that was gorgeous- just had some torn paper on the card in one spot. Otherwise, it was a beautiful piece. But then you see an AFA 70 with creases everywhere.

So on this Flagg... is it all edge wear? Are there creases? Water damage, staining? One giant rip in the back that you'd never see? For that kind of coin you shouldn't have to pick some one's brain for the details.

A 60 grade is still considered "excellent".True, but like we discussed before.....When you list the flaws, the item doesn't do as well as just listing the grade.

The pictures are so small, I can't see any damage other than a "crush" and some staining/dirt?

Again, even though it's an AFA 60, I'd still take it!

Volleydan
02-18-2009, 02:06 PM
A 60 grade is still considered "excellent".

OK, so here is my chance to learn something about AFA policies....I was under the impresson that AFA didn't give grades lower than 60? Is the minimum grade actually lower than that?

If they have a minimum grade, what happens if someone sends in a total piece of junk to be graded? Does it get the minimum or do they refuse to grade it?

On one hand, it would seem that establishing a minimum would mean that there could be a wide range of quality lumped into the lowest grade category (and thus devalue any item that gets that grade)....but I also couldn't imagine being able to promote much value in an item that got an AFA 10....

Da_Last_2_Walk
02-18-2009, 02:31 PM
OK, so here is my chance to learn something about AFA policies....I was under the impresson that AFA didn't give grades lower than 60? Is the minimum grade actually lower than that?An AFA 10 is the lowest grade.

If they have a minimum grade, what happens if someone sends in a total piece of junk to be graded? Does it get the minimum or do they refuse to grade it? AFA will grade any item that qualifies for AFA grading.

On one hand, it would seem that establishing a minimum would mean that there could be a wide range of quality lumped into the lowest grade category (and thus devalue any item that gets that grade)....but I also couldn't imagine being able to promote much value in an item that got an AFA 10....You could always say, "This should have came back an AFA 20!" :D

kurthalsey
02-18-2009, 04:44 PM
I looked up Tunnel Rat once, and one had graded a 40. Yikes! Maybe it was 50... I can't find the reports page on the website anymore to save my life.

Da_Last_2_Walk
02-18-2009, 04:47 PM
I looked up Tunnel Rat once, and one had graded a 40. Yikes! Maybe it was 50... I can't find the reports page on the website anymore to save my life.Correct, it was an AFA 40.

kurthalsey
02-18-2009, 06:30 PM
Correct, it was an AFA 40.

I had this one UPS'ed to me in a bubble envelope... nothing else! Needless to say, a beautiful unpunched card was destroyed and crushed beyond belief. I always thought about sending it in to be graded to see if I could get worse than a 40, and how much worse! :p

http://www.kurthalsey.com/el/destroy.jpg

Da_Last_2_Walk
02-18-2009, 07:14 PM
I had this one UPS'ed to me in a bubble envelope... nothing else! Needless to say, a beautiful unpunched card was destroyed and crushed beyond belief. I always thought about sending it in to be graded to see if I could get worse than a 40, and how much worse! :p

http://www.kurthalsey.com/el/destroy.jpgActually, unless the card has been cut or the bubble has a hole in it, I think this would grade higher than an AFA 40.

Da_Last_2_Walk
02-18-2009, 08:26 PM
The auction was removed by ebay? :confused:

The item has been re-listed again!

I'm on it!

http://cgi.ebay.com/GI-JOE-USS-FLAGG-AFA-60_W0QQitemZ110353643242QQihZ001QQcategoryZ2467QQs sPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

nightforceoutback11
02-20-2009, 12:08 PM

http://www.kurthalsey.com/el/destroy.jpg

That sux, I hate when people pull that shizz!!

Kronz
02-21-2009, 07:48 PM
re: Tunnel Rat, a that point I'd just open him and try buying another MOC some other time

kurthalsey
02-21-2009, 08:30 PM
re: Tunnel Rat, a that point I'd just open him and try buying another MOC some other time

Sadly, that would be the 2nd one I would have opened! I've bought 5 trying to find the best one. 2 came damaged, and 1 was perfect until I picked it up and the whole right side of the blister came unglued.

On a side note, man... I shipped 2 figures last week and both got damaged during shipping- a broken o-ring on one and then a bubble crack on the other and the figure's legs twisted to the side. These things are getting fragile beyond belief.

Da_Last_2_Walk
02-28-2009, 08:07 PM
Sold for $2235!

Volleydan
02-28-2009, 11:01 PM
Isn't there an AFA 75 Flagg up now too? If so, I wonder if the presence of a higher grade one impacted the final price of this one - because it seems odd to me that an ungraded one would sell for $7,200 and a graded one would only sell for $2,200....

Da_Last_2_Walk
02-28-2009, 11:41 PM
Isn't there an AFA 75 Flagg up now too? If so, I wonder if the presence of a higher grade one impacted the final price of this one - because it seems odd to me that an ungraded one would sell for $7,200 and a graded one would only sell for $2,200....Yes, but the AFA 75 Flagg is not MISB! The AFA 75 Flagg is graded under AFA's new "Qualified Grading Scale". In order to be eligible for "AFA Qualified" grading, a boxed toy must contain new, complete, and unused contents and must not have a sealed blister which has been opened. Each "AFA Qualified" item will be cased with a blue (rather than red) label and will be accompanied by a document with detailed information about the item and contents.

I don't think the AFA 75 had any effect on the selling price of the AFA 60. On rare items like this, they sell themselves. If I didn't just spend $3000 on an AFA 80 pre rub yellow Bumblebee(the highest graded in the world, only 2 in existence), I assure you the price would have been higher!

The ungraded Flagg was in near mint condition and it was MISB! If the ungraded Flagg was submitted for grading, and graded an AFA 80 or 85, the $7,200 would have been a steal! I'm just not brave enough to throw $7,200 and take a gamble that the item wouldn't be graded!

Personally, I think this new "AFA Qualified" grading system is a joke, and an attempt to follow what CSG already does. I don't like this new grading system because sellers might not tell the buyer that the AFA item they are buyer isn't MISB! Now I will have to ask every AFA seller if the item is MISB, where before it was a given that the item was MISB.

kurthalsey
03-01-2009, 03:38 PM
How do they make the box flaps stay closed on something like a FLAGG in the case? Extra acrylic blocks?