View Full Version : New Toy Law In Effect February 10, 2009

cthulhu522
01-07-2009, 06:51 PM
Found this article linked to from a few sites, but didn't see it here yet...

On February 10, 2009 it will be illegal to re-sell any used children's products including toys and clothing. That is according to the U.S. Consumer Protection & Safety Commission who pushed for the new laws after dozens of toys were recalled in 2008 because of lead concerns.

Toys, clothing and other items used by children under 12 will be subjected to lead testing and will have to have labels on them to prove that they have passed inspection.

What is raising the ire of parents and business owners far and wide is what this will mean to clothing, toys and other children products made before February 10, 2009.

Gary Walthall, the owner of Once upon a Child, a resale shop specializing in children's clothing and other items, is afraid that he'll have to close up shop.

Adding to the confusion and frustration is the fact that the U.S. Consumer Products and Safety Commission is not returning calls or e-mails to the countless re-salers and even journalists who have tried in vain to get clarification on what the law means to garage sales and how it will be enforced.

http://www.kvue.com/news/top/stories/010609kvue-kids_lead-me.466a87af.html

Ford
01-07-2009, 07:33 PM
I saw this on the news today. This law will put a lot of small business owners out of business.

Who knows what effect it will have on comic shops. Can they bypass the law by classifying what they sell as collectibles?

CGC
01-07-2009, 07:36 PM
I suppose an easy way around that as far as selling on boards or auction sites is to make sure it is noted that they are being sold as an adult collectible, & that they are not intended to be played with by children under 12 years of age.

It's always going to be something, isn't it...

just_joes_by_mike
01-07-2009, 08:15 PM
Looks my kids will be relegated to the old ball of yarn to play with now. What a-holes we have looking out for us idiot consumers.

RowdyRodimus
01-07-2009, 08:41 PM
Welcome to the United Preschool of America. Make sure that you have a Congressman holding your hand everytime you cross the street.

RedKat
01-07-2009, 08:56 PM
A new federal law is raising concerns and questions nationwide and here in Austin
On February 10, 2009 it will be illegal to re-sell any used children's products including toys and clothing. That is according to the U.S. Consumer Protection & Safety Commission who pushed for the new laws after dozens of toys were recalled in 2008 because of lead concerns.

Toys, clothing and other items used by children under 12 will be subjected to lead testing and will have to have labels on them to prove that they have passed inspection.

What is raising the ire of parents and business owners far and wide is what this will mean to clothing, toys and other children products made before February 10, 2009.

Gary Walthall, the owner of Once upon a Child, a resale shop specializing in children's clothing and other items, is afraid that he'll have to close up shop.

Adding to the confusion and frustration is the fact that the U.S. Consumer Products and Safety Commission is not returning calls or e-mails to the countless re-salers and even journalists who have tried in vain to get clarification on what the law means to garage sales and how it will be enforced.

http://www.kvue.com/video/index.html?nvid=319219

i saw this on hiss tank , so I'm going to share it , what are your thoughts,?

BaronVonHungster
01-07-2009, 09:02 PM
I'd like to see how they will enforce this. Let's see.. spend available manpower trying to stop terrorist activity, drug sales and transports, etc...

or concentrate on issuing citations to people who sell used toys... hmm...

John Missal
01-07-2009, 09:09 PM
Seriously, enforcement would mean shutting down all convention dealers, comic shops, and the like. Not to mention the ones like in that story. Consignment stores are a must to keep down waste, and Thrift shops survive on clothes and toys many places.

Maybe if the government regulated the manufacturers more, we wouldn't have to put something like this into place.

If you go to http://www.cpsc.gov/ABOUT/Cpsia/faq/faqs.html, it looks as if the loophole will be to disclaimer the crap out of something ("this older GIJoe toy is a collectible piece now, and is not intended for use by children under the age of 12").

John M>

John Missal
01-07-2009, 09:24 PM
And reading things like that FAQ are funny... Here's my added question...

Since it was stated in court that Camel Cigarettes were being promoted to children through the use of the character Joe Camel, does this mean that all Camel Cigarettes made after Feb 10 must also have a reduced lead content?

;-)

John M.

Snake-eyes01
01-07-2009, 09:40 PM
If this really did go through, I'm sure it would help our economy big time! ;) (JK)
This would kill our economy & put more people out of business!! What a terrible time to even think about a law like this! How would we be able to purchase vintage Joes??!

Cashcleaner
01-07-2009, 10:38 PM
Now this is an odd development. I understand how the government wants to keep lead out of the hands of our kids, but how could this law be effectively enforced? Sounds to me that this is nothing more than a smokescreen to divert us from the fact that there is still no outright ban on toys from China and other countries that have been shown to contain lead. Great example of gov't at work. They won't put pressure on foreign manufacturers to actually reduce the lead in the products they sell, but will pass this new law to limit their circulation here.

themoney75
01-07-2009, 10:54 PM
i guess this is part of the new stimulus package. how many jobs will be loss from this how much tax dollars lost will be lost...this is got to be one of the dumbest things i ever heard.a month away and they cant clarified the law they pass what a joke.again more tax dollars wasted away. after all you paid for it.something else how much is this third party testing going to charge for each item a 5 dollars for a dollar tshirt.lol

Da_Last_2_Walk
01-07-2009, 11:02 PM
I'm glad I collect MISB/MOSC!

FAKER II
01-07-2009, 11:25 PM
My wife and I have always bought everything we can used. Having to by all our kids’ clothes, toys, and books at retail price is pretty much going to push us into poverty. So even if the law doesn’t affect the toy collecting world, I won’t have any money to buy myself any more toys.

I’m normally not a conspiracy theorist, but I have a feeling that this is a push to help the big businesses in an effort to boost the economy at the expense of killing our wallets and putting small businesses out of business. What’s next? Make a law banning the sale/purchase of used cars in an effort to help the auto industries.

Well, collecting toys was fun. I’ve been at it for roughly 16 years. Thanks to the idiocy of our nation’s lawmakers I’m going to have to retire from the hobby. At least I’ll always have the toys that are already in my collection. Because even if I wanted to sell them, it would be ILLEGAL!

RowdyRodimus
01-08-2009, 01:21 AM
Once again we are saved by Big Brother coming to our rescue. Instead of doing something about the real problem (lead paint from Chinese factories making products for American companies) such as bringing the jobs in house with tax breaks for the companies, they decide to just ban things. It's a lot easier for them and then they can always say "See, we care, we banned them so your child doesn't die" and then go about giving some more 700 BILLION dollar bailouts we can't pay for.

Cashcleaner
01-08-2009, 01:57 AM
^ You're probably on to something there. I mean let's look at the logic here. There's no move to ban the tainted toys that are getting produced so the manufacturer gets off easy, and on top of that - sale of used toys will be down as a result forcing more people to buy new ones instead. The toy companies benefit in two ways while the consumer gets the shaft.

quintonarledge
01-08-2009, 04:24 AM
I guess I won't be re-selling my custom Lead Paint-Viper on E-Bay then!

John Missal
01-08-2009, 04:55 AM
The gist of it is for items "designed and marketed primarily to children under 12" so that is the way around it. Many toys are designed for adult collectors and will say such going forward. That would also be retroactive. And considering you have to be a certain age to have an ebay account, it likely won't affect that place all that much as long as you disclaimer it.

John M>

TOPSON
01-08-2009, 05:00 AM
Oh no, does this mean I am going to have to buy my vintage RAH figures in dark alleys like I buy my crack? JK, I am setting up at a toy show this weekend. I will let you guys know if the cops come in and bust us all.
Chris

Dakemesh
01-08-2009, 06:53 AM
HERE is a Gov PDF (http://www.cpsc.gov/library/foia/advisory/317.pdf) that, in short, says that this only applies to toys manufactured after this date and is not to be applied retroactively unless the toys or products in question were already banned.
(Courtesy of a find by Fortmax over at the Allspark)

mightybuck
01-08-2009, 07:23 AM
And reading things like that FAQ are funny... Here's my added question...

Since it was stated in court that Camel Cigarettes were being promoted to children through the use of the character Joe Camel, does this mean that all Camel Cigarettes made after Feb 10 must also have a reduced lead content?

;-)

John M.

nah, it just means you can't go selling vintage smokes

Sniper Viper
01-08-2009, 06:17 PM
This might answer the question as to why BBTS has that "not suitable for children under 16 years of age" disclaimer on every page of their site:

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=HAS14882&mode=retail

Good thing so many 16 year & older kids are into Toy Story figures :)

cthulhu522
01-09-2009, 05:34 AM
And all becomes clear.

This might answer the question as to why BBTS has that "not suitable for children under 16 years of age" disclaimer on every page of their site:

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=HAS14882&mode=retail

Good thing so many 16 year & older kids are into Toy Story figures :)

FAKER II
01-09-2009, 03:55 PM
Good news for me and the rest of you parents out there as well as the owners of thrift shops and other second hand used clothing shops. It appears that they are already looking at making changes to the regulations after a backlash of public outcry. It is still unclear how this law will effect our hobby, but it appears that I will at least be able to buy used clothing for my kids. I absolutely can not afford to pay retail price for an entire wardrobe for both my kids every 3 months as they continue to grow.

If these changes are true, then I’m stoked that I don’t have to get a 2nd job just to buy my kids clothes.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-lead7-2009jan07,0,6917858.story

Cashcleaner
01-09-2009, 04:37 PM
^ Man, you've got the right idea. I can't believe how much my family insists on buying new clothes and toys for my daughter (she's now just 9months old). There is nothing wrong with second hand goods, especially for a child that will grow out of things within a handful of months. It's particularly apt when you figure the current environmental attitude. The more we reduce consumption, the better off we'll be in the long run.

ranger1995
01-10-2009, 02:01 AM
The Consumer Product Safety Commission on Thursday issued a press release entitled:

CPSC Clarifies Requirements of New Children’s Product Safety Laws Taking Effect in February: Guidance Intended for Resellers of Children’s Products, Thrift and Consignment Stores

and it states: "Sellers of used children’s products, such as thrift stores and consignment stores, are not required to certify that those products meet the new lead limits, phthalates standard or new toy standards. The new safety law does not require resellers to test children’s products in inventory for compliance with the lead limit before they are sold."

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09086.html

Falcone
01-10-2009, 04:03 AM
Oh no, does this mean I am going to have to buy my vintage RAH figures in dark alleys like I buy my crack? JK, I am setting up at a toy show this weekend. I will let you guys know if the cops come in and bust us all.
Chris

You're going to be selling crack at a toy show? I don't think that's a good idea. Most collectors are already addicted to the hard stuff, plastic crack. So they aren't looking to score regular crack. Then again, you could always put the crack inside the figures and charge more for them.

cthulhu522
01-10-2009, 06:05 AM
Same... I don't think we have bought a single new piece of clothing for my kids. They grow out of them too fast to justify it.

My wife and I have always bought everything we can used. Having to by all our kids’ clothes, toys, and books at retail price is pretty much going to push us into poverty. So even if the law doesn’t affect the toy collecting world, I won’t have any money to buy myself any more toys.