Wave 14 (25th & Resolute Single & Comic Pks)?? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Wave 14 (25th & Resolute Single & Comic Pks)??

ignatius
02-14-2009, 08:18 PM
if anyone has heard of or seen a "definitive" list of 25th & Resolute figures, that will be coming out, please fill me in. i forgot, the Battle Damaged B.A.T. was shown on a few sites, awhile back, as well as pics of FLAK & Cobra CLAW @Target.com & NF Lt. Falcon, on Wave 13 backer cards.

P.S. i did just see the upcoming Online Exclusive 7-pk. "Assault on Cobra Island" figures, but nothing regarding future 25th & Resolute figure releases?

gunslingercbr
02-14-2009, 09:33 PM
I think those are it. most of the figures were on the rumored lists, so it seems Hasbro decided against releasing them to retail as singles and comic packs so retailers could just get rid of whatever they have now and make room for the movie toys (or perhaps retailers have simply decided to stop ordering non-movie stuff so they can clear out inventory for the movie line), and instead of just scrapping them Hasbro decided to make a couple of large packs to release to us online. great idea.

germ
02-14-2009, 10:16 PM
if this is true, seems like a dumb move on the stores part...i think it is pritty safe to say that the movie figures are going to bomb! i know there are small amount of people who are interested in the movie stuff, but the majority of the collectors want the 25th style remakes instead...

those 7 packs are great though! all new fig's and no repaints! cant wait to get them. these will for sure sell great.

meyerc13
02-14-2009, 10:28 PM
those 7 packs are great though! all new fig's and no repaints! cant wait to get them. these will for sure sell great.

I suspect there will be an abundance of loose Dr. Mindbenders available. :D

wedge1968
02-14-2009, 10:50 PM
It sounds that way, which works great for me, as he is the only one I want.

If anyone needs my address to help get rid of one, let me know :) .

willie&joe
02-15-2009, 02:48 AM
We've seen pics of the carded Battle Damaged BAT so I'm not so sure they're doing away with wave 14.

Another Snake Eyes
02-15-2009, 07:45 AM
who knows? hasbros REALLY taking a gamble on the movie.. i dont think ill be buying too much of the movie line, if at all. this could very well be the end of another golden age of joes... they did such an awesome job up till the movie line too.. itd be a real sad ending to the 25th line, thats for sure!

SolidSnakeEyes
02-15-2009, 08:43 PM
We've seen pics of the carded Battle Damaged BAT so I'm not so sure they're doing away with wave 14.

I think that's just the Hall of Heroes BAT.

Right?

Ford
02-15-2009, 09:09 PM
I kind of think the movie figures will do better than the 25th figures myself. At least I hope they do. I don't see it as a gamble at all. It's a movie based on a toy line that's been around for over 40 years.

It'd be nice to see a kid pick up a Joe figure for once in a store, instead of a thirtysomething year old guy.

willie&joe
02-15-2009, 10:11 PM

Right?

No, I don't think so. It's the one with the pic of NF Falcon on the back.

http://www.theterrordrome.com/forums/download/file.php?id=537&mode=view

http://www.theterrordrome.com/forums/download/file.php?id=538&mode=view

Rooster3D
02-16-2009, 12:50 AM
It'd be nice to see a kid pick up a Joe figure for once in a store, instead of a thirtysomething year old guy.Nah. I've seen this happen. It's nothing special. I'm not happy about this, but I think the movie toys have a good chance of dong well. If the movie is "cool" and action-y enough, it could change the way dormant GI Joe fans, the ones who don't know they are fans yet or have forgotten, embrace their GI Joe universe. Kids will probably like it, anyway.

I had very strong opinions against 2007's Transformers movie, yet the general public seemed to like it a lot. Now look at how many movie Transformers toys were sold. BTW, isn't there supposed to be another one coming out this summer?

Satandy
02-16-2009, 10:51 AM
I'd be happy enough if wave 14 waited until after the movie. My wallet needs a break. I could catch up on a few things I never found in stores too (5th DVD pack).

The best thing that could come out of the movie besides more 25th toys would be a new GI Joe cartoon. That would be really cool.

GI Steevy
02-16-2009, 12:16 PM
if this is true, seems like a dumb move on the stores part...i think it is pritty safe to say that the movie figures are going to bomb! i know there are small amount of people who are interested in the movie stuff, but the majority of the collectors want the 25th style remakes instead...

That's what fans said about Transformers in 2007. And retailers DEMANDED an extra 6 months of product after Christmas due to the demand for movie Transformers.

The reality is: Collectors may want remakes, but the movie has the potential to sell to SEVERAL times more people than just collectors, and probably expand the brand in the process.

Can't say I'm surprised by the turn of events, keep in mind that wave 12, and the revision case with the 5 pack recards, were first shipped out last November. That means it has taken almost 3 months, even with Christmas, to get that product down to the retail store level.
That says to me that there is a LOT of stock still sitting around, and there may be enough for stores to "coast" until the movie, much as they did for Transformers in 2007.

meyerc13
02-16-2009, 12:34 PM
The reality is: Collectors may want remakes, but the movie has the potential to sell to SEVERAL times more people than just collectors, and probably expand the brand in the process.

Or it could go the way of the Indiana Jones toys and be deeply discounted months before Christmas. I'm sorry, but I don't think a Transformers comparison is accurate. I've never been a Transformers fan, but let's face it - robots that change into cars are just cool. You don't have to know a thing about the movie to get into that.

I think it is more accurate to compare these to the IJ line. We already know we're going to get Duke in desert gear, Duke in reactive armor, Duke in Accelerator Suit... seems a lot like IJ with RPG, IJ with whip, IJ in robes.

The problem is that all of these movies are PG13, which catches the end of the 5-13 year old range of kids who play with toys. So when the 5-10 year olds can't see the movie, they'll have no idea why there are 3 versions of the same guy, nor will they even know who that guy is. To make it more confusing, the comic is a different continuity from the movie which is different from the Resolute cartoon. Granted, the legacy cartoon and comic certainly have a different feel looking back on them now, but I think they were a lot closer than this movie is going to be to any of the other incarnations of GI Joe.

I honestly don't know what Hasbro was thinking allowing this movie to go the way it went, and I hope I'm wrong, but this has as much potential to hurt the brand as it does to help it. I hadn't collected GI Joes in around 20 years (and don't collect any other toys), but came back because of the appeal of the 25th line. Now Hasbro is putting fans like me on hold for a year... I'll stick around because I plan to follow the comics, but I suspect some fans will drift away never to come back. If those lost fans aren't offset by gains made by the movie, the brand has been hurt, not helped.

titandogg
02-16-2009, 12:41 PM
Can't say I'm surprised by the turn of events, keep in mind that wave 12, and the revision case with the 5 pack recards, were first shipped out last November. That means it has taken almost 3 months, even with Christmas, to get that product down to the retail store level.
That says to me that there is a LOT of stock still sitting around, and there may be enough for stores to "coast" until the movie, much as they did for Transformers in 2007.

Is there a logical explanation for this? I know of SEVERAL Wal*Marts that have been sitting with empty aisles without restocking and reloading any new product for MONTHS. Why are these stores "sitting" on stock and not selling anything? Selling is the name of the game. And I would be buying if there were anything to buy.

I've still never seen Wave 10 or 11 stocked in any of the WalMarts, Targets, or TRUs around me.

I've NEVER seen:
A single Cobra EELs
A single Wave 11 Zartan
A single Matt Trakker
More than one Para-Viper

...at any of my retailers. None. Ever. Out of about... we'll say probably 10 locations that I check regularly.

I had never seen a single Airborne, PP Crimson Guard, or Cobra Diver until these revision waves started getting passed around at Targets.

Even Wave 13 with the Resolute line and Blowtorches have been stocked and rotated and available--more-or-less--fairly regularly.

Why did waves 10, 11, and 12 get passed over???

meyerc13
02-16-2009, 12:55 PM
Why did waves 10, 11, and 12 get passed over???

First, Waves 10-12 all hit within a few weeks of the end of the year. So it hasn't been that long since they all were released. Typically, for the first month or two after a new wave it has been hard to find, and we are in that period right now for all three waves. To make matters worse, Hasbro released revision cases that were nothing but old figures during this same period. The Wal Marts in my area have gotten several of these revision waves, but not a single new wave since July. Target has been getting the new waves, but usually one case at a time, and they sell out almost as fast as they're put out. When the BATs hit in July, I found more than I wanted within a month of their release, mostly at Wal Marts which had more hooks for Joes.

Like you, the recent waves were hard to find. Wave 10 I saw in abundance at Kohls stores, but nowhere else. Wave 11-13 I've only seen in Targets, which have more peg hooks for Joes now, but they still don't get more than a case or two at a time. And they sell fast. I've seen some figures like Cobra flints pile up 5-6 deep, while other figures in the same waves I've only seen once or twice (and that's with almost daily checking). I've found two Eels, two Resolute Troopers, and two Cobra Divers, but that's it, despite the fact that I've seen plenty of Torch and Rippers from those waves.

I think if the stores continue to distribute out of their warehouses, we'll see more of these waves, but I fear that with the end of the collector's line and the fact that retailers cut back their orders due to the economy these may be hard to find. I think the troop builders will be especially so... I know that with no new waves coming I'll snap up every troop builder I see since I have nothing else to spend my Joe dollars on.

titandogg
02-16-2009, 01:06 PM
First, Waves 10-12 all hit within a few weeks of the end of the year. So it hasn't been that long since they all were released. Typically, for the first month or two after a new wave it has been hard to find, and we are in that period right now for all three waves. To make matters worse, Hasbro released revision cases that were nothing but old figures during this same period. The Wal Marts in my area have gotten several of these revision waves, but not a single new wave since July. Target has been getting the new waves, but usually one case at a time, and they sell out almost as fast as they're put out. When the BATs hit in July, I found more than I wanted within a month of their release, mostly at Wal Marts which had more hooks for Joes.

Like you, the recent waves were hard to find. Wave 10 I saw in abundance at Kohls stores, but nowhere else. Wave 11-13 I've only seen in Targets, which have more peg hooks for Joes now, but they still don't get more than a case or two at a time. And they sell fast. I've seen some figures like Cobra flints pile up 5-6 deep, while other figures in the same waves I've only seen once or twice (and that's with almost daily checking). I've found two Eels, two Resolute Troopers, and two Cobra Divers, but that's it, despite the fact that I've seen plenty of Torch and Rippers from those waves.

I'm seeing almost the exact same thing you're reporting in my hunting, as well. This hunting spans three states and about 200 miles of territory, so it's a wide-spread pattern of these giant chains. The slight differences are that, for the most part, none of the Wal*Marts I'm seeing are even stocking anything--not even revision cases. Most of the ones I hit have the same five or six figures (total, not five or six different figures) just sitting there week after week, after week.

To be honest, I've been fairly certain that the Torches and Flint-in-Cobra-Disguise have been part of a revision case themselves, being re-packaged with some other fodder (namely the all-black Snake Eyes and maybe the Resolute figs) because there's just no way that they're showing up alongside of PP Crimson Guards, Zartans, and EELs while the others disappear and Torches pile up six-deep.

Satandy
02-16-2009, 01:21 PM
Perhaps stores are not restocking the 25th in preparation for the movie because having them sitting on the pegs next to the movie figures would make the movie figures look bad?

Wave 11 has been especially hard to find, but overall so has anything 11-13. Waves 11 and 13 sell out pretty fast and they just never seem to order enough, or the right assortment. The new white-carded wave 4 seems to be the latest thing filling pegs here.

Good thing for the wanted section of this forum I guess...

titandogg
02-16-2009, 01:29 PM
Perhaps stores are not restocking the 25th in preparation for the movie because having them sitting on the pegs next to the movie figures would make the movie figures look bad?

In preparation for the movie?! In preparation for a movie that is still SIX MONTHS AWAY?! The release of the toy line for the movie itself is still at least five months away, and that's taking into consideration that they'll release the toy-line a month before the movie hits. I'm sorry, but if the store has no hope of selling a non movie-related product in five months, then they don't have any faith in the product at all.

But something else worth pointing out is that it isn't JUST G.I.Joe being affected by this, what I consider to be laziness, at retail. The same Wal*Marts I visit aren't re-stocking Star Wars stuff, either. And I never look at Transformers stuff, but it would venture a guess and say Transformers stock isn't being replenished regularly either. Generally speaking, the toy shelves are growing more and more bare, thinner and thinner, with nothing new being ordered for any lines.

In fact, the only items that I've seen get stocked with new stuff pretty regularly are those DC Comics 3-3/4" series figures, and the DC Legends (6-8") series. I see new guys from those lines almost all the time, it seems.

Satandy
02-16-2009, 01:45 PM
In preparation for the movie?! In preparation for a movie that is still SIX MONTHS AWAY?! The release of the toy line for the movie itself is still at least five months away, and that's taking into consideration that they'll release the toy-line a month before the movie hits. I'm sorry, but if the store has no hope of selling a non movie-related product in five months, then they don't have any faith in the product at all.

But something else worth pointing out is that it isn't JUST G.I.Joe being affected by this, what I consider to be laziness, at retail. The same Wal*Marts I visit aren't re-stocking Star Wars stuff, either. And I never look at Transformers stuff, but it would venture a guess and say Transformers stock isn't being replenished regularly either. Generally speaking, the toy shelves are growing more and more bare, thinner and thinner, with nothing new being ordered for any lines.

In fact, the only items that I've seen get stocked with new stuff pretty regularly are those DC Comics 3-3/4" series figures, and the DC Legends (6-8") series. I see new guys from those lines almost all the time, it seems.

Yeah, nobody ever accused Walmart of having a well run toy section, lol.

Its funny because I remember watching a special on Walmart and they were very proud of their computer tracking/ordering and distribution software. They said things like after large disasters, sales of Strawberry pop-tarts would go up (one specific example). They would pay attention to the news and stock lots of pop tarts in areas around hurricanes, etc.

And yet... can't be bothered to notice a toy line that was consistently sold out in my closest Walmart for the first year of its existence. It still isn't well stocked. That would be why a lot of us here just buy cases online.

Alchemist
02-16-2009, 02:11 PM
Wave 10 was the last well stocked Wave here that I'm aware of. I've never seen anything from Wave 11 with the exception of Flint. Wave 12 never showed up here to the best of my knowledge. Wave 13 showed up a couple of times. And, now it's back to figures that were initially released as Wave 4.

titandogg
02-16-2009, 02:23 PM
Wave 10 was the last well stocked Wave here that I'm aware of. I've never seen anything from Wave 11 with the exception of Flint. Wave 12 never showed up here to the best of my knowledge. Wave 13 showed up a couple of times. And, now it's back to figures that were initially released as Wave 4.

Isn't it weird? It's just totally illogical. If they produced Waves 10-12, and if they did them anywhere near the kind of quantities they produced waves before them, why aren't we seeing those waves continue to ship and saturate the market instead of going back to an OLDER revision case? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

As for buying cases from online retailers, I don't think I'll ever do that. I would end up stuck with figures that I never wanted and just overall overpaying for what I do want.

Alchemist
02-16-2009, 02:33 PM
Isn't it weird? It's just totally illogical. If they produced Waves 10-12, and if they did them anywhere near the kind of quantities they produced waves before them, why aren't we seeing those waves continue to ship and saturate the market instead of going back to an OLDER revision case? It just doesn't make any sense to me.

As for buying cases from online retailers, I don't think I'll ever do that. I would end up stuck with figures that I never wanted and just overall overpaying for what I do want.It is. I don't understand it, myself.

siamese goat
02-16-2009, 02:51 PM
I noticed the empty aisle trend a week after Christmas and gave many excuses to myself. Maybe they are resetting, waiting to get more stock due to after Christmas, so on and so on. Now its mid February and still empty aisles. Not just Joes but SW figures as well. I thought it might be a mass buying, which does happen in my area a lot but then I got to talking to some of my friends that collect and know the days and times of shipments and they said that wasn't a major player this time. I collect Joes and my son collects SW so a trip to the toy department has started to become a trip to depression.

Is Hasbro the only one doing this? I see other figures in good to large quantities and enough of those finger boards to choke a mule. I am lucky enough to have just started back into collecting and I do purchase peg warmers to get what I still need but I don't want to get back to the old days of SW collecting where the only way to get something new was ebay(which I am resorting to already). Part of the fun is finding what you are looking for in the stores.

Jonny
02-16-2009, 03:48 PM
I prefer hunting the stores as this is how we used to do it when I was a kid.

The way things are now, I might as well just give up and start getting who I want over the internet. Where are the Eels and the new Zartan? Where's Scarlett in the flight suit? I haven't seen a single one of these characters in stores.

I still see plenty of '86-style Roadblocks and Python Troopers.

Gah.

Also, I don't see spots for vehicles at my local stores anymore either. DVD packs neither, and I still got two more to go to complete my MASS Device.

Flint4107
02-16-2009, 03:56 PM

Right?

No. The battle damaged figure we saw posted here was distinctly different from the Hall of Hero's version.

The Hall of hero's version has the same paint deco as the DVD bat except for the red face plate. The Battle damaged bat has the drybrushed silver deco.

The HoH Bat comes with the standard back pack, and the spore canister pack pack and two heads, the battle damaged head and undamanged head. The BD Bat came with only the one head and it's chest plate was also 'damaged', and it came only with the spores, canaster pack and the vines.(repainted creepers from the DVD set)

Both packages were exlusive to the specific lines the came from and the BD bat had it's own art work on the card.

The Bat in the new 7 pack seemed to be another mashup of the two figures with different paint apps.

On a different note; I heard that Hasbro will ocasionally read the different strings. I sincerly hope they read this one and make some effort to help with what appears to be a growing problem for their customers.