View Full Version : How would you rate the decade of the 2000's so far?

Blowtorch01
06-01-2009, 08:29 PM
Another 6 months to go, and the decade is over. Really hard to believe.

Vs the 80's or 90's, it's been a total waste IMO.

-Sports wise, I'd take the 90's NBA or MLB anyday. Seems like all the big sports have gotten darker (mlb steroid scandal, nba quality decline, nfl has been so, so, nhl after so many canadian teams left isn't the same). WWF went downhill.

MMA and others are some bright spots.

-Entertainment, tv. Hardly watch tv anymore.

-Journalism/media. Terrible.

-Music, horrendous vs the 80's or 90's.

-Movies might actually be better, I dont know why. So many big franchises...lotr, harry potter, pirates, spiderman, star wars, transformers.

I wonder if the brightest spots of the 2000's have been internet innovations/improvements, youtube, etc. And tech related.

MikePrime
06-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Pretty lousy. The technological advances are certainly pathetic. It's pretty much all based in entertainment.

Propaedeutic
06-01-2009, 09:44 PM
The best thing about this decade is the access high-speed Internet gives us to the stuff of the 80s.

John Missal
06-01-2009, 10:58 PM
Sorry, but you have 18 months left. The decade technically ends when the year with the 1 starts.... thus the end of the 20th century was 2000 and the first year of the new was 2001

:-)

There was no year 0.

(I know, I'm being a technical pain in the arse, but that's what I do... Even Jeopardy had the issue as a question back in the 90's)

John M.

Currahee_Chris
06-04-2009, 03:59 PM
The best thing about this decade is the access high-speed Internet gives us to the stuff of the 80s.

Know what I'm sayin??? :D

Generally, I agree with you across the board. Personally, well, lost a buddy in Iraq and another just passed a month ago. Two of my kids were born in the 00's and my job and personal satisfaction have never been higher.

Regarding movies- I think the studios bought the success of those movies for the most part- not sure if they were really innovative like a lot of the flicks in the 70's-90's were. For the most part, if you throw enough money at a movie, it will succeed- not always but mostly.

A lot of interesting advances in medical technology this decade.

My wife started her own business and is doing remarkably well.

So, I dunno, I guess at the end of the day, I am glad I grew up in the 80's. I feel bad for kids these days- it just seems like kids just want to grow up so much sooner than ever before.

Cheers
CC

John Missal
06-04-2009, 07:39 PM
LEts see...

All my stocks tanked in 01 (AOL & TW merge) lost about $300,000 value

Got laid off in 02 (Again due to AOL & TW merger) lost what would have remained of $300,000 value that hadn't vested

Have to change jobs due to weeks of hurricanes in Florida in 04

Get stiffed out of my funds in 04 due to untrustworthy partners

Attempt to salvage business with a new partner that ends up being a shark in 05 and lose more

Got a ball & Chain in 06 ;-)

Move back in with my mother due to finances in 07 (with aforementioned ball and chain and a new baby)

Get stuck with a boss that feels personal loyalty is more important than following policy for 07-09 (just finally ditched this one)

Have to sell my near 100% complete joe collection due to finanaces to stay afloat (04 to present)

All in all, I love the 00's :-D

John M>

Destro's-Bodyguard
06-04-2009, 07:49 PM
I miss the 80's, less people crawling around everywhere. Now you can barely take a single step without stepping on somebody's foot. :mad: :eek:

Seriosly, I hate the 00's. The 90's were ok I guess. :rolleyes:

Bryan Borgman
06-07-2009, 10:33 AM
I got married last decade but got 3 kids this decade so that's not so bad. :)

The 2000s are essentially a non-original decade of 80s & 90s rehashes so in many ways we owe the current decade to keeping the stuff of our childhoods alive.

John Missal
06-07-2009, 02:22 PM
The 2000s are essentially a non-original decade of 80s & 90s rehashes so in many ways we owe the current decade to keeping the stuff of our childhoods alive.

Which should be an indication that our generation just needs to grow up and move on

John M>

Bryan Borgman
06-07-2009, 04:29 PM
Which should be an indication that our generation just needs to grow up and move on

John M>

Says the guy who's signature claims he's been a vocal Joe fan for over a decade already. ;)

Cobra Emperor
06-09-2009, 11:44 PM
20th Reunion is coming up in August (Class of 1989) so I've lately been thinking about the 80's and 90's and what great things we had and what I miss but also what we have now that's cool.

I think we see today through the lense of our youth and grow nostalgic for the good old days - so of course the 2000's are mediocre. Back in the 80's my dad felt the same way about the 50's and 60's (those were the days) and the 80's were mediocre.

The 80's had some great things - especially the vintage GI Joe and Star Wars Lines, totally awesome movies (Back to the Future, ESP, ROTJ, ET, Star Trek II, III & IV, Ghostbusters - oh I could go on and on) and music, rad clothes and really cheesy hair styles (cheesy hair styles never end).

So yeah the 80's were cool, but so is having high speed internet and plasma TV's and I-Pods and cell phones (80's had the giant models that cost a fortune) Lord of the Rings, AOTC, ROTS, Harry Potter etc. and we have all the bands of the 80's on tour again - so we have the best of both worlds.

Enjoy the rest of the decade.

yojoebro82
06-10-2009, 08:53 AM
Another 6 months to go, and the decade is over. Really hard to believe.

Vs the 80's or 90's, it's been a total waste IMO.

-Sports wise, I'd take the 90's NBA or MLB anyday. Seems like all the big sports have gotten darker (mlb steroid scandal, nba quality decline, nfl has been so, so, nhl after so many canadian teams left isn't the same). WWF went downhill.

MMA and others are some bright spots.

-Entertainment, tv. Hardly watch tv anymore.

-Journalism/media. Terrible.

-Music, horrendous vs the 80's or 90's.

-Movies might actually be better, I dont know why. So many big franchises...lotr, harry potter, pirates, spiderman, star wars, transformers.

I wonder if the brightest spots of the 2000's have been internet innovations/improvements, youtube, etc. And tech related.

I agree with everything you said there. Especially the entertainment/media part of it. I have 5 channels on my big 42'' TV and am perfectly happy with not having cable. I go to my friend's or my parent's place and all I see on cable is crap (I do kinda miss ESPN).

I'd say the best thing of the 2000s is the 25th GI Joe line which, of course, is rooted in the 80s.

CobraLALALALA
06-10-2009, 09:48 AM
I'd say vs the 80's and 90's there is no comparison. Early and late 2000's are pretty sweet, but the middle there was most horrible period of the entire line with VvV etc. Even worse than the no joe period of the 90's.

Cobraghostship
06-10-2009, 12:48 PM
post editted