Anyone go for the troop builder? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Anyone go for the troop builder?

Blast-Down1823
08-10-2009, 10:35 AM
Hi Joe Fans! I'm new here and thank you for the email. I do feel like I'm 24, lol.

Anyways.... I have a curious question. Here's abit of a background to my question. When the third SW prequel toys came out, I "wasted" my money on buying so many numbers of Clone troopers, to start a troop builder trend.

Now with the GI Joe film, I might buy some more Viper Commando's, Viper Troops and Pit Commandos to continue the troop builders.

Does anyone else do this? and if so, do you buy them in single packs or wait till there's an exclusive battle pack and the such?

I'm just curious and wanted to see if anyone does this or not. :D

Update: Anyone also do this for vehicles?

meyerc13
08-10-2009, 11:56 AM
Welcome to the forums. To answer your question, you'll find plenty of troop and/or squad builders here. Personally, I tend to build squads of 4 troopers and an officer. With the RoC toys, so far the only two I'm troop building are the Pit Commandos (have 4 so far) and Zartan (have 2 so far, using him as a generic MP). I'm just not a huge fan of the Cobra figures, although the Ice Viper and Elite Viper look somewhat interesting.

The only problem with troop/squad building the Joes I mention above is the lack of heads. With Cobra or Star Wars Storm Troopers, they're faceless so you can build squads that don't look like clones (although Star Wars has that one figured out!). Too bad Hasbro wasn't smart enough to pack in an extra head, or at least offer different hair colors on the Pit Commando. Oh well... hopefully it will come somwhere down the line.

Compulsive Collector
08-10-2009, 01:51 PM
I built a large army of 25th Anniversary Cobra Troopers, and I picked up several B.A.T.s, Red Ninjas, Vipers, and Crimson Guards from the line, too. I won't be doing the same with the movie Vipers, though, mostly because they wouldn't fit with my 25th Anniversary display.

Mr Rage
08-10-2009, 02:04 PM
Hi Joe Fans! I'm new here and thank you for the email. I do feel like I'm 24, lol.

Anyways.... I have a curious question. Here's abit of a background to my question. When the third SW prequel toys came out, I "wasted" my money on buying so many numbers of Clone troopers, to start a troop builder trend.

Now with the GI Joe film, I might buy some more Viper Commando's, Viper Troops and Pit Commandos to continue the troop builders.

Does anyone else do this? and if so, do you buy them in single packs or wait till there's an exclusive battle pack and the such?

The troop building all depends on your preference on a particular figure really. If you like the look and accessories of a certain figure then you troop build them. Sometimes that figure comes in single packs or in builder packs.

I see your in Otsego Michigan....I live about 30 miles from you. Howdy neighbor!

Mr Rage

olyeller01
08-10-2009, 02:27 PM
I too, have troop-built many of the 25th Anniversary figures and have now moved on into some of the ROC figures. In the 25th line, I have fairly large squads of Cobra troopers & officers, Vipers, & Crimson Guards with smaller squads of Snow Serpents, Eels, Cobra Divers, & BATs. In the ROC line I've bought two each of the Neo-Viper, Neo-Viper Commando, and the Elite-Vipers, with another Elite-Viper on the way (in an order with Agent Helix from TRU.com). I plan on getting more Elite-Vipers, while I know I'll pick up more Neo-Vipers with all the upcoming box sets.

Box sets are a great way to troop-build, and for a better price than buying a bunch of single-cards. After a few box sets, you'll marvel at how much your army has grown.

JMM82
08-10-2009, 02:41 PM
I troop build by buying single-carded figures. I've done that with the 25th Cobra Troopers, Python Patrol, Crimson Guard, etc., and I'm doing the same with the RoC Elite-Vipers, Neo-Vipers, Crimson Neo-Vipers, Cobra Eels, and Viper Commandos.

It's easy to do with the RoC Cobra figures because they wear masks. The 25th line of troopers, well, I just pretend they're all different people. What can you do?

The Pit Commandos, if you're good at painting, you can paint a couple with different colors of hair, paint on a moustache here and there, etc., or use different heads.

XtremeWRATH360
08-10-2009, 07:43 PM
I been troop building since 25th started and i try to atleast have 4-6 of each trooper (though i have like 40 Cobra Troops). As for RoC i haven't seen a figure im keen on troop building yet, but that's not a bad thing as im running out of room lol

Blast-Down1823
08-10-2009, 10:01 PM
The troop building all depends on your preference on a particular figure really. If you like the look and accessories of a certain figure then you troop build them. Sometimes that figure comes in single packs or in builder packs.

I see your in Otsego Michigan....I live about 30 miles from you. Howdy neighbor!

Mr Rage

Howdy! hehe. Hrmm cool, didn't think I would get so many replies, awesome! And cool cool. Weird too, I haven't done the troop building for the 25th aniversary. Though think I not-knowingly did that with the G.I.Joe. VS Cobra waves. When I find Pit Commando and the other waves, then I'll start troop building. lol.

Well time for me to hit the sack. (Need to get up abit early tomorrow and shower). Take care, Joe Fans and collectibles. YOOOOOOOO.... JOE!!!

wedge1968
08-10-2009, 10:21 PM
I have a (small) collection of Steel Brigade figures. My guess would be that this is what people troop build on the Joe side.

I ended up with small army of Cobra Soldiers as well with the 25th line.

Kronz
08-11-2009, 12:15 AM
I never had more than two of any trooper until the 25th, but within it, I built a pretty decent sized squad, and eBay coughed up a huge lot of various 25 Cobra troops that only set me back a couple bucks a guy. It's fun if you are on the hunt for figures you really love. For me it was Cobra Trooper and BAT that I searched most for at retail. Eventually I want to set up a large display of blue shirts. Aside from the blueshirts I don't go too wild, five or half a dozen BATs, and two or three of most other specialty troops.

Today Wal-mart was having a two for ten (in Canada, unheard of cheap) and I decided to buy four Neo-vipers. They were the most plentiful figure there, all the single characters but Baroness had been scooped up. There's just no love for the Neo-viper. I think he's a decent figure at full price, but a friggin' awesome figure for $5! Now I have five of them and I am happy I have their squad rounded out. The purple commando version I decided I could live with just one though. As future figures arrive here, I will probably buy five each of these: Crimson Neo, Pit Commando, Eels. The rest I will just buy one of at first, but I'm already sold on the others without even seeing them in person.

Skybuzz
08-11-2009, 02:28 AM
I troop build when it just happens to be affordable. Even though I don't have many characters (No Flint, or Wild Bill, Baroness, Bazooka, etc.) I was able to buy about 15 or 20 Cobra Legion Sets from ROSS ($11.99) and 6 GI Joe 5-Packs (1st One) over a six month period and just recently a few DVD MASS Device Sets 1 & 2, and two GI Joe Trooper Sets. A small collection, but decent. :)

Blast-Down1823
08-11-2009, 07:36 AM
Yeah true. I do paln on doing this for the vehicles. Not so much on the Joe side as with the Cobra side, have two of the black humvees. Might get two more of those drill pods and a couple more of those atv's that has Scrap-Iron. I won't be getting another Night Adder. Too expensive. I did see on the SDCC that they were going to have Mantis Subs and Sharcs, So I'll get a couple of those and maybe two Dragonflys.

I got to go now, see ya'll later. Can't believe the replies I'm getting. Thank you for replying all. :)

sparks007
08-11-2009, 08:57 AM
I am a troop builder as well .I often feel like it is a disease my wife says its CD ,but to say obsessed makes it sound like a bad thing.:D

Alchemist
08-11-2009, 09:28 AM
I started army building when the Viper came out in 1986. I completed my perfect 25th Sculpt Cobra army last spring. I might army build the Ice-Viper and Pit Commando from the RoC line. I have one of each and I think they're pretty good. I'm just a little hesitant at the moment because I've got a lack of funds, a lack of space, and, well, too many Joes. I need to have a surplus sale soon.

Jonny
08-11-2009, 09:59 AM
I buy multiples of Cobra legions, the most being the standard Cobra Trooper of which I have ten now (and am content with).

My Crimson Guard are complete and now I just need to build up Cobra Officers (ha!), Snow Serpents, and Eels (and Tele-Viper if he's ever produced on card).

I prefer uniformity amongst my troops so therefore I prefer to buy one particular variation, usually individually. My Cobra Troopers are the original variation--silver insignia, black cowl, etc. Even though I've got others laying around from DVD sets, five-packs, and vehicle sets, I don't really use them. In my universe, Cobra only has two "ranks"--Trooper and Officer--so different variations of the uniforms don't really work into my routine.

So far, I have built a "squadron" of HISS tanks and was originally going to do the same for FANG copters, CLAWs, and Trubble Bubbles, but decided against it. How many of those can I hold at a time anyway, right?

-cobra-commander-
08-13-2009, 10:15 PM
http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv294/exquisitepixtures/yojoe/collcgoverview.jpg

Update: Anyone also do this for vehicles?

-cobra-commander-
08-13-2009, 10:18 PM
http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv294/exquisitepixtures/yojoe/colltroop6.jpg
http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv294/exquisitepixtures/yojoe/colltroop5.jpg
http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv294/exquisitepixtures/yojoe/collv.jpg