Original 80's art for sale [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Original 80's art for sale

Mutt7000
12-30-2009, 04:04 PM
I recently came into a huge collection of 80's original artwork from a fellow collector that got them from some former hasbro employee's. Its a lot of the art used for fig and vech packaging and some that were basically rough drafts/concept stuff. Shoot me an email if you are interested and we can discuss prices. I'm not going to post pics of these due to the fact they most likley have never been seen, I'll let the new buyer decide if they want them posted or not. Please no pm's asking to just see them. I'm looking for $500-1000 each on these.

dominic.18
12-30-2009, 04:20 PM
those would be great to see, but way out of my joe budget right now.

RedClaw
12-30-2009, 04:30 PM
We really need photos of these for the archives, please let me know if you're willing to do this prior to the final sale. We may buy these outright from you. PM me.

BAD DOC
12-30-2009, 04:45 PM
PM sent but as i stated deal is dependant on the images not being shared in open forum and checking with me before shared privately.

Mutt7000
12-30-2009, 05:57 PM
Most of the pics are spoken for, the few that are left are of charaters that were never actually made into fig's. On a side note these are all framed.

TOPSON
12-30-2009, 07:48 PM
Mutt,
I really want in on this. Please send me a list. If there is anything nunchuk or gung ho then please set it aside for me. Thanks, chris

Volleydan
12-30-2009, 09:17 PM
PM sent. We have dealt before and I hope you know I am serious about this stuff.....

Mutt7000
01-02-2010, 02:38 PM
Thanks for all the replys and offers. All items are now sold/pending, except the few I decied to keep for myself.

Volleydan
01-08-2010, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the deal, man. I appreciate it more than you can know.

Mutt7000
01-09-2010, 08:12 PM
No problem, I'm glad those 2 pieces went to someone I know.

Xavieur@aol.com
01-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Man! I'm late!

Ok, to the lucky new owners, please shoot me an email. I might make you a very happy investor.

And to anyone else with original artwork out there, feel free to send me an email offline anytime. I AM ALWAYS BUYING!

BAD DOC
01-14-2010, 04:20 PM
Wow, I mean it WOW mutt. my stuff got here to day and OMG WOW. I think the only sad part of this deal is that I cant afford to frame them all right now with con around the corner and all, but there are 4 or 5 that are definitely going to the framers tomorrow. You know which ones I’m talking about. No more bragging its not my style. I just wanted to give a public thx to mutt. You really helped out a few of preproduction collections out.

Mutt7000
01-14-2010, 04:37 PM
No problem man, like with Dan, glad they went to guys that I know ( mostly ) except for the 2 really expensive ones :) I know I've already seen them all but I would love to see them framed when you get them done. I will hope you will include them in the book I talked to you about. Thanks again and glad you like them.

GiJoeFan
01-14-2010, 08:15 PM
iam kinda new with the whole gi joe / collecting
is there any way some one can post a pic as i am lost on what you are talking about. if not thats ok also. just wondering what all the talk was.

thanks in advance

Mutt7000
01-15-2010, 04:42 PM
Sorry I am unable to post pics of these anymore as I no longer own most of them. Part of the deal in selling them was to not leak pics of them. So now its up to the new owners if they want these pieces out in the public.

80'SToyGeek
01-15-2010, 05:25 PM
if anyone has some art work of skymate iam intrested.

BAD DOC
01-16-2010, 07:01 AM
No problem man, like with Dan, glad they went to guys that I know ( mostly ) except for the 2 really expensive ones :) I know I've already seen them all but I would love to see them framed when you get them done. I will hope you will include them in the book I talked to you about. Thanks again and glad you like them.

Dude for real are you still after me to write a book. that’s a little under handed to put it on an open board like this. Last time I’M NEVER GOING TO DO A BOOK. Lol. Lets get together for a few drinks soon:p

ironman1188
01-18-2010, 04:32 PM
So, will any buyers be posting any pix?

dominic.18
01-18-2010, 04:34 PM
I would love to see some but I doubt we will see all of them

Volleydan
01-18-2010, 08:09 PM
There won't be pics of my stuff going up for public viewing any time soon. There are too many people out there (including a couple here) who are all too willing and ready to use the pictures for their own gain....which devalues the original.

Sorry, but I have to protect the value of my investment. I didn't just spend 3 grand on art just to see it in some other guy's book a couple years down the road....

spiderpumpkin
01-18-2010, 08:36 PM
Who's the artist? What vehicles or characters are shown?

PrimeNYBT
01-18-2010, 11:09 PM
Guys just respect their wishes. They don't want to share. I'm sure we will see some of these items at the joeintel booth at the con and well be lucky for that. But until then let it go.

spiderpumpkin
01-19-2010, 02:54 AM
Guys just respect their wishes. They don't want to share. I'm sure we will see some of these items at the joeintel booth at the con and well be lucky for that. But until then let it go.

Sounds good.

Xavieur@aol.com
01-19-2010, 07:52 AM
There are too many people out there (including a couple here) who are all too willing and ready to use the pictures for their own gain....which devalues the original.

Sorry, but I have to protect the value of my investment. I didn't just spend 3 grand on art just to see it in some other guy's book a couple years down the road....

Ouch! Accusations! Gotta watch that guys. Besides, I think this is incorrect.

First, any legit publisher verifies that the editor of any book owns (i.e., took himself or by contract) any photos in the book they are about to dump money in. They don't like getting sued for that. And anyone who tried to just take some website photo and plop it into a book clearly doesn't know the law on copyright and would be ripe to be hit with a lawsuit personally as well, so bye bye all that "personal gain." Second, while I totally agree that generally website photos on collector sites that are so unique as art is generally can devalue the work (anyone seen the ebay seller trying to pawn "prints" of Joe Posters?), including if one guy throws it up on his website to sell advertising, I get that too. But generally speaking we are a relatively closed community and would know quickly who owns the art (which is not akin to owning any copyright interest in it to reproduce) and figure out where any photo came from. But actually in terms of investment, in my opinion, once a piece is published in a book its value can really go up (as well as that of others that are similar but not published). Anyone who attends real art events like Art Basel Switzerland, Miami, or New York's Armory Show knows that. That's why people spend $10,000 on an early GIJOE Comic cover and pre-production art ONLY sells in the ballpark you mentioned.

Besides, publisher's aren't buying books on such niche areas like this so the point is moot... at least without the holy grail of art -- the original cover to Issue #1... or the presentation art for Snake Eyes or Storm Shadow, for instance. Or is it?

The beauty of this stuff is that there is still a TON of stuff out there available enough for anyone's pocket book's on this board at least to all have their fill and then some. YEAH!!!!

80'SToyGeek
01-19-2010, 07:59 AM
wow hot topic watch out Oprah she will be here wanting an interview with each of you and make use all of you file those prints on your tax return as capital gain or else some one will take it other then using it in a book. dan you better do the right thing and claim them as they are over the $500 limit. lol lol

Volleydan
01-19-2010, 08:21 AM
Besides, publisher's aren't buying books on such niche areas like this so the point is moot...Or is it?

Sounds like someone is working on a book of his own....how else would you 'know' what publishers are or aren't buying.

Sorry, Dan. You can spin all the loosely-construed legal arguments you want at me but you're not getting pics of my stuff for your book.

Xavieur@aol.com
01-19-2010, 09:03 AM
You can spin all the loosely-construed legal arguments you want at me but you're not getting pics of my stuff for your book.

I love the Oprah idea. But I think this kind of response is more Maury Povich or yikes, Jerry Springer, or heck, how about the View! :) I love this "other guy's book" thing too. Hilarious! In reality we just witnessed tens if not hundreds of thousands of people die in Haiti. Life is too short for this sort of response. If you collect to make you happy, great! For investment, fine! To compete with others? I'll pass.

Happy Collecting Everyone!

sidiously darth
01-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Could someone explain to me why taking pics of this stuff and sharing will devalue it? I've never heard that artwork being showcased or referenced in a coffee table book could actually add or detract from its value.

Is it that important to own something that very few people have seen? What's the point of hiding this stuff from the light of day? Worried about someone stealing the credit for owning something? Big deal. It's already yours. Its in your hands, your house, your secret underground bunker.

What's the big deal with taking a few angled pics, slapping a watermark on there and reading the oohs and ahhs of others?

In reality, you don't really own anything of worldly importance. Its art work for toys. It doesn't contain launch codes or a cure for cancer but please enlighten me as to why they must remain shrouded in secrecy.

BAD DOC
01-19-2010, 12:54 PM
Ouch! Accusations! Gotta watch that guys. Besides, I think this is incorrect.

Past performance may not guaranty future performance, but it’s a good place to start from.

And I don’t think Dan named any one in his post, but if any one is offended by it you might want to look at your collecting habits, and ask yourself why.
I’m not accusing, I’m just saying :cool:

BAD DOC
01-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Could someone explain to me why taking pics of this stuff and sharing will devalue it? I've never heard that artwork being showcased or referenced in a coffee table book could actually add or detract from its value.

Is it that important to own something that very few people have seen? What's the point of hiding this stuff from the light of day? Worried about someone stealing the credit for owning something? Big deal. It's already yours. Its in your hands, your house, your secret underground bunker.

What's the big deal with taking a few angled pics, slapping a watermark on there and reading the oohs and ahhs of others?

In reality, you don't really own anything of worldly importance. Its art work for toys. It doesn't contain launch codes or a cure for cancer but please enlighten me as to why they must remain shrouded in secrecy.

You know the value of something can not always be measure in $.

Let me draw you a picture, and its good you only live a few hours away from me. Because you make a perfect example.

Lets say for what ever reason you and I meet-up we become friends. When I bring you in to my “secret underground bunker”. I want to see those oohs and ahhs face to face, and its not some worship me I’m some gi joe god. If that were the case I would be putting up on line and be way more active on boards. Instead it’s a love for this hobby and it’s a love of sharing it with someone who also loves this hobby. When I show it to someone for the first time its like Christmas morning for me and it just fires me up.

sidiously darth
01-19-2010, 02:19 PM
You know the value of something can not always be measure in $.

Let me draw you a picture, and its good you only live a few hours away from me. Because you make a perfect example.

Lets say for what ever reason you and I meet-up we become friends. When I bring you in to my “secret underground bunker”. I want to see those oohs and ahhs face to face, and its not some worship me I’m some gi joe god. If that were the case I would be putting up on line and be way more active on boards. Instead it’s a love for this hobby and it’s a love of sharing it with someone who also loves this hobby. When I show it to someone for the first time its like Christmas morning for me and it just fires me up.

Hey, I perfectly understand collecting something for the love/enjoyment of a hobby. Yes, if we were friends, I'm sure I would be stunned by your collection. Maybe that will happen someday. Who knows?

The issue that gets me is all the "secrecy" in some of the above posts. I don't understand that. What in hades about this artwork requires such requests? I can't think of one collectible/artwork that I and/or my wife have ever bought that others had not seen. We currently have a rather valuable piece hanging in our living room. It's not Joe related but it is one of only two documented to exist.

Now we've taken pictures of it. Small prints have been made of it and it was displayed at a couple of shows before we bought it. The point being when we saw it for the first time, we wanted it. We took a few days to discuss it, make sure it was in the budget. Never once did we ask the gallery to hide it from other prospective buyers or not show images of it.

dominic.18
01-19-2010, 06:03 PM
I can understand the reasons for not wanting to show the artwork. I have recently been harassed by a couple collectors who were trying to buy some of my rarer figures. It is a shame that most of us will never get to see the artwork though.

Mutt7000
01-19-2010, 06:05 PM
Well, the reason I posted that I wont post pics and to email me privately was the guy I bought them from suggested it. He had the pieces and apparently some people have seen them (people he showed, other people he shopped them to ect ect ) but never put them out for " public " viewing. So I basically opened it up to people I knew that were higer end collectors that this stuff would be of interest to and those that they recommened. Most people agreed that they wanted the pieces to not be shown for what ever their resons were. So as long as the checks cleared I did what they asked. I really didnt expect this to start any heated convo, but this type of thing seems to always do. The book remark is due to multiple people wanting to do books on the more rare/uneen things out there that people have. I was asked to donate some of these images to the cause, but like I posted most of the stuff is now in others hands. And what they decide to do with it is really up to them. Hopefully one day all of these plus all the stuff that I sure alot of people have that no one has seen will see the light of day. The few that I can mention was a unused 84 zartan, and concept drawings of a joe tank and cobra helicoptor. And they were all fantastic :)

Volleydan
01-19-2010, 07:38 PM
And I don’t think Dan named any one in his post, but if any one is offended by it you might want to look at your collecting habits, and ask yourself why.

Yep. I didn't name anyone initially. It just so happened that someone decided to jump to his own "defense" and out himself. I guess now we know why he's always so interested in getting people to post pictures of their stuff. :eek:

Since we're on the topic, when was the last time Xavieur shared pictures of his stuff with anyone? C'mon Dan...if you really believe that having this stuff out there doesn't devalue it, let's see some pics of your pre-production stuff...put your money where your mouth is.

Volleydan
01-19-2010, 07:53 PM

It's not that putting up pictures will devalue the product. It's the unethical stuff that people do with these pictures that causes the problem. A couple of years ago, there was a really awesome piece of concept art for the Strato-Viper that the owner chose to share. In a matter of a few weeks, someone had taken the picture off of the web and used it to make "custom cardbacks" for the figure. Now this one-of-a-kind piece of art was being sold on EBay for ten bucks a pop. Predictably, the owner of this piece is no longer interested in sharing his stuff with the world.

Believe me when I say that the vast majority of people who collect this stuff would love to be able to share it with the world at large. But because these pieces often cost thousands of dollars, they simply can't afford to see someone take advantage of them. The fear isn't that other people may take credit for owning the piece, it's that once multiple copies of these items exist, it becomes harder for them to prove that theirs is legitimate. If concept art and prototypes were selling for a hundred dollars a pop, you would see a different attitude.

It's been tried. It's been taken advantage of by less-than-ethical collectors.

From a certain perspective, I agree with the first part of your point. It's toys.

On the other hand, please understand that people who are willing to make these kind of investment are into this stuff at a totally different level than many casual collectors will ever understand. Aside from the financial investment involved in building these collections, there is an incredible investment of time and effort required.

You can't just buy this stuff off of the shelves at Wal-Mart....you have to make friends and build networks - both in the collecting community and in the Hasbro family. I know there are many passionate collectors out there who don't get into pre-production items at all. I don't want to sound like I'm making the argument that one type is any better than another because that's not what it's all about. I just wanted to try to explain the mindset behind many collectors' feeling of a need for security for their items.

Mutt7000
01-19-2010, 08:26 PM
^^^^ Very well said

sidiously darth
01-19-2010, 10:00 PM
Thanks Mad Doc and Volleydan for helping clear the cobwebs out of my head. I'm rather stunned at myself for not considering the dubious actions of others.

Cobras-Used-Cars
01-20-2010, 12:08 AM
*edited for content by staff*

cageyJG
01-20-2010, 06:51 AM
Just like the thread about the Joe tattoo sleeves, I'm sure I will be following here for months in order to catch a glimpse of one of the products.

I can say that I was actually persuaded by VolleyDan that secrecy was essential (don't want China counterfeiting your product like so many "Callaway" golf clubs). Liked the secret underground bunker analogy and can understand that there are some buyers with some coin.

When they're all sold, hopefully someone will send a link(s) to the admins so we can see the art - art is meant to be seen.

Volleydan
01-20-2010, 07:44 AM
Couple points in response here, because I think you might be mistaken on a couple of your assumptions.

Simply put these items are Hasbro property most times and are many times technically stolen property.

Not true. Most of the designers who worked on Joe in the 80s had contracts with Hasbro that specified that their work product would be returned to them when their contract ran out and that it would be their property. At the time, some of these guys were young and hungry and really needed this work to build their professional portfolios. I don't think any of them dreamed that they would be able to make a nice living selling off their work three decades later.....

Also a lot of pre production collectors don't understand the words NOT FOR SALE many are elitest competetive rich kids who don't even care about the hobby, just one uping others.

I shouldn't even have to address a quote like this, because it's so far off base that it isn't even funny. The guys I know who collect pre-production items are, for the most part, the most passionate Joe fans I have ever met. Sure, there are a couple of douchebags whose only goal is to get stuff and don't care who they have to screw to get it. But for the most part, they're just collectors who had a full collection a long time ago and are now looking for a new challenge to stay involved in the hobby.

As far as the "rich kids" comment, you're way off there, too. The guys I know who chase this stuff are mostly just regular dudes making a living - they just allocate way more $$$ to the hobby than most people would.

Any air of elitism attributed to these guys is only a perception by some in the community who, for whatever reason, just can't seem to understand that collecting isn't just about camping out at Wal-Mart waiting for the new cases to unload and/or buying every troop builder in sight (not that there is anything wrong with that - it's just the most 'opposite' concept I could think of to pre-production collecting).

Authenticating pre production art and other items is easy if you know what your doing and if you spend thousands of bucks you should know what your doing. So the idea of someone may fake it from an online source is just bull.

It should be easy, but when less-scrupulous collectors acquire these pieces - or reproduce them - they break the 'chain of custody' and make validation that much more difficult. You might call the concept 'bull', but it has happened.

My point is I wouldn't show off this artwork to everyone either, but it's a shame a few ***** ruin it for everyone

And on that point, we can fully agree.

Volleydan
01-20-2010, 08:02 AM
Art is meant to be seen.

There are a lot of Joe fans out there who have no interest in collecting preproduction items and would never dream of trying to make money off of other people's stuff. They would love to see these items just for the "wow" factor. Joe fans are a passionate group, and there is a real interest from the collecting community in the history of the product. What Joe fan wouldn't love to see concept art for unproduced characters? Or demos of unproduced vehicles (that train that was at last year's con was maybe the coolest thing I have ever seen)?

Much of this history of the line is shown in the world of pre-production items and, sadly, much of it will stay hidden from public view just because of the actions of a few.

Tattoo Shane
01-20-2010, 08:48 AM
To address a couple quick points:

Anyone interested in seeing Joe art and prototypes should take some time touring around www.joeintel.com. Dan Moore put a lot of time and effort into the site and i think you'll be very surprised by what you see there. I'm the one who owns the aforementioned Strato-Viper art which was reproduced without my consent and while i did remove all my art images for a time, i realize it's for the greater good that they remain seen by the community so i helped Dan build the preproduction section, which i must say, is pretty awesome and is only going to get better.

Be sure to check out the forums there and you can also see my newest artwork additions.

As far the topic of publishing goes, no publisher will tackle a book as niche as this and of course they're going to make sure all images are cleared if they were interested. That's not to say, however, that we don't have to be concerned about images being reused for publication. In this day and age, self-publishing niche collecting books is more and more common and there's nothing stopping someone from trying to get away with it that way. They'd have to be a pretty big fool though, because with what it costs to self-publish, you're looking to bankrupt yourself if you got caught using stolen images...just a word to the wise.

Lastly, on the topic of put up or shut up, i agree with Dan. Just because one fancies themselves to be the biggest art collector of the biggest fan out there doesn't give them the right to demand to see stuff against the owners wishes. You want to see? Maybe start by sharing what you own with the community, but for real, and not in some kind of imaginary museum sort of way. ;)

Cobras-Used-Cars
01-20-2010, 01:01 PM
Couple points in response here, because I think you might be mistaken on a couple of your assumptions.

Not true. Most of the designers who worked on Joe in the 80s had contracts with Hasbro that specified that their work product would be returned to them when their contract ran out and that it would be their property. At the time, some of these guys were young and hungry and really needed this work to build their professional portfolios. I don't think any of them dreamed that they would be able to make a nice living selling off their work three decades later.....

As I had stated I was by no means saying this particular collection was Habro property, some is not I agree. But stuff like proof cards, dupont proof sheets,
figure hardcopies and real test shots are.

I shouldn't even have to address a quote like this, because it's so far off base that it isn't even funny. The guys I know who collect pre-production items are, for the most part, the most passionate Joe fans I have ever met. Sure, there are a couple of douchebags whose only goal is to get stuff and don't care who they have to screw to get it. But for the most part, they're just collectors who had a full collection a long time ago and are now looking for a new challenge to stay involved in the hobby.

The people you know may very well be like this, I know some really cool people who collect pre-production as well. However I personally have been practically stalked and harrased for these type of items.

As far as the "rich kids" comment, you're way off there, too. The guys I know who chase this stuff are mostly just regular dudes making a living - they just allocate way more $$$ to the hobby than most people would.

If you were active in collecting pre-production and other rare joe items in the late 1990's to the early 2000's I think you might be aware of some of those I speak of. I stopped buying joe stuff for years because of people like this, it's just my honest opinion from stuff I saw back in the day

Any air of elitism attributed to these guys is only a perception by some in the community who, for whatever reason, just can't seem to understand that collecting isn't just about camping out at Wal-Mart waiting for the new cases to unload and/or buying every troop builder in sight (not that there is anything wrong with that - it's just the most 'opposite' concept I could think of to pre-production collecting).

Thats stereotyping another type of collector from the oposite spectrum, however the type of guys you refer to are not normally rude and arrogant toward collectors with different tastes

It should be easy, but when less-scrupulous collectors acquire these pieces - or reproduce them - they break the 'chain of custody' and make validation that much more difficult. You might call the concept 'bull', but it has happened.

This is not common it's not the normal situation with transactions like this. I think people have the right to do with what they like with their belongings but from a historical and educational perspective it robs the community. My opinion is what it is. It is also way easier to commit fraud on an item like this during chain of custody then actually producing fraudulent items. I also believe this is the excuse closed groups use as opposed to just facing the elitest stereotype. Again my opinion, but it is based on experience

And on that point, we can fully agree.

I'm not trying to insult anyone or hurt any feelings or anything, I just don't feel the whole story is being told about this type of collecting and I'm merely sharing my personel experience. I honestly don't wish to **** anyone off or insult anyone

Volleydan
01-20-2010, 01:14 PM
No worries, I'm not insulted. I just wanted to present some counter-points.

Each of us can only speak from our respective experience and unfortunately, it sounds like your experience in dealing with pre-production collectors has been less positive than mine.

The biggest difference these days is that where there used to be maybe 20 people in "the game", now there are several times that. Prices have skyrocketed as a result and now it's real "serious business". 2-ups that used to cost $300-400 are now $1,200-1,500 and so on.

There are some real turds out there who are in it for themselves and nothing else...they can sour anyone on this stuff real quick. I think I know a couple of the guys you are referring to, and they're still up to their old tricks. It seems that every time someone wins an EBay auction, "someone" is trying to contact the seller outside of EBay and try to snake the piece, or harassing the real winner about selling it to him immediately. It's a pain to deal with.

Cobras-Used-Cars
01-20-2010, 01:35 PM
No worries, I'm not insulted. I just wanted to present some counter-points.

Each of us can only speak from our respective experience and unfortunately, it sounds like your experience in dealing with pre-production collectors has been less positive than mine.

The biggest difference these days is that where there used to be maybe 20 people in "the game", now there are several times that. Prices have skyrocketed as a result and now it's real "serious business". 2-ups that used to cost $300-400 are now $1,200-1,500 and so on.

There are some real turds out there who are in it for themselves and nothing else...they can sour anyone on this stuff real quick. I think I know a couple of the guys you are referring to, and they're still up to their old tricks. It seems that every time someone wins an EBay auction, "someone" is trying to contact the seller outside of EBay and try to snake the piece, or harassing the real winner about selling it to him immediately. It's a pain to deal with.
Exactly, that was kinda the warning and complant about the market I was putting out there. I'm glad to hear the pre-prod peeps have improved, it really is a cool part of the hobby if you have the means. I just think it's a shame that those who don't have the means and are just as passionate about the hobby get robbed of the knowledge. I currently just collect modern era stuff for dios and decor, the history and the knowledge is more important to me then actually owning the stuff these days. I know I'm not the only one out there like this and as all of us age I think more and more people will want to know this stuff, but the info won't be out there and that may hurt the hobby. Also if you were collecting back then I'm certain you know who I'm talking about

cageyJG
01-20-2010, 10:14 PM
I'm off-topic, but can anyone point me in the direction of the website that had tons of hi-res 80s pamphlet art? It was pretty well put-together.

<Poof> disappears

dmooretoys
01-20-2010, 10:34 PM
I'm off-topic, but can anyone point me in the direction of the website that had tons of hi-res 80s pamphlet art? It was pretty well put-together.

<Poof> disappears

I think you mean Todd's site:
http://www.joebattlelines.com/m6d/index.html

He also has a virtual museum:
http://www.joebattlelines.com/m6d/ArtofGIJoe/index.html

Todd is definitely very gifted and dedicated to the hobby.

Dan

Xavieur@aol.com
01-21-2010, 07:48 AM
Since we're on the topic, when was the last time Xavieur shared pictures of his stuff with anyone? C'mon Dan...if you really believe that having this stuff out there doesn't devalue it, let's see some pics of your pre-production stuff...put your money where your mouth is.

You are one really bitter dude and take things way too personally. And, if you look back in this long ranting thread of yours, you will see that no where have I asked to see things in a public forum where value could go down, or people could get ripped off (though others have and you haven't said a word against them). Your priorities are seriously misplaced.

Volleydan
01-21-2010, 10:08 AM
You are one really bitter dude and take things way too personally.

Sorry, I guess it just cheeses me to see people hide behind global catastrophes as a smokescreen for when someone calls them out for underhanded collecting tactics.

If you look back in this long ranting thread of yours, you will see that no where have I asked to see things in a public forum where value could go down.

Not in this thread, but you've done it:

From http://forums.yojoe.com/showthread.php?t=72834

"ok, first person to get a photo of that award on the board wins a No Prize. and if IDW ever wants to sell that award (hey people sell Oscars for crying out loud!), I have an idea first."

That was about a week ago. It sure sounds like asking for pictures of a rare item to be posted in public forums to me.

Besides, since you've spent the last few years hitting up every former Hasbro employee that you can find for art for your museum, I would think that the fruits of that labor should be on public display....after all, isn't that what museums do?

Also, as you work on your book, remember your own advice from this thread: http://forums.yojoe.com/showthread.php?p=435665#post435665

"ANY PHOTO that you take that is used to sell someone else's product begs you to go after that person tooand in fact, THEN you can recover a percentage of the sales price that their item sold for."

Think about that before you use any of those sneaky-type pictures that you were trying to snap at the prototype booth from last summer's con in your book....

80'SToyGeek
01-21-2010, 11:03 AM
i want to see pics of the pencils use to make the sketches. No that is something rare.

Quote: Think long and hard before you use any of those sneaky-type pictures that you were trying to snap at the prototype booth from last summer's con in your book.

is that something that really happened. I am kinda sad at what this thread has turned in to. its kinda like the goverment and the people. some one is mad cause they are not getting a hand out. I think there is much of this stuff out there. just go find our own. Mutt did his homework. He found the items and then set them up for sale. Simple as that. also early bird gets the worm. dont cry if you did not get the pm in time.

just my 2 cents.

Xavieur@aol.com
01-21-2010, 11:52 AM
That was about a week ago. It sure sounds like asking for pictures of a rare item to be posted in public forums to me.

OMG, YOU ARE RIGHT! WOW! You've got my VolleyDan, I'm hurt. A picture of a public award given out by MTV (Music Television) MUST be a top secret double-secret-probation item that would rue the world if anyone ever saw a photo of it on a message board! In fact, you just gave me a great idea, I am going to manufacture fake MTV awards that look JUST like it, take photos, and then buy a booth at a convention just to showboat stuff I own! You are brilliant. :p

Think about that before you use any of those sneaky-type pictures that you were trying to snap at the prototype booth from last summer's con

Will your brilliance never go away good sir?! I forgot, that when you have a booth at a PUBLIC convention, that is open to the public, with half of the folks taking pictures (and most posting them on their own blogs or websites), that its just absurd to think that other people would take pictures, too! I mean, maybe you live in China or Iran, but if folks bring ANYTHING to a public convention, guess what, people take photos! AHHHH!!! The world is coming to an end!!!! The photos, ohh god, the photos... like water on the wicked witch of the west, err, VolleyDan.... :eek:

Xavieur@aol.com
01-21-2010, 11:58 AM
I think there is much of this stuff out there. just go find our own. Mutt did his homework. He found the items and then set them up for sale. Simple as that. also early bird gets the worm. dont cry if you did not get the pm in time.

I couldn't agree with you more -- there is a lot out there. And I don't consider a general note that "congrats" to the buyers is crying out if you were referring to me. Whatever, at the end of the day, people do what they want. :rolleyes:

80'SToyGeek
01-21-2010, 01:27 PM
touché sir touché

RedClaw
01-21-2010, 04:23 PM
Okay, that's enough.

Some serious violations of respect and language use in this thread. Let's play by the rules, and remember that while this can be very emotional, we all need to be calm and respect others points of views and sense of values.

Thread locked.