removal of HM factory marking [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : removal of HM factory marking

Average Joe
03-12-2010, 04:36 PM
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k55/Joecool77/sell027.jpg

Has anyone attempted to remove the HM markings from one of these figures yet? I really want to display this figure without the flight suit but it would be much nicer to have the marker removed. I don't want to harm the rest of the paint apps in any way. So please give advice ONLY if you've personally removed these markings yourself.

Thanks.

KrymsynGardImmoral
03-28-2010, 04:05 PM
It depends on what the mark is....I have vehicles with the HM mark burned in with a woodburning pen. If it is just a marker, then goof off should remove it, or a product called Bestine should take it off.

That figure is unreleased, so removing the HM mark isn't going to change that fact, but you should really consider leaving the mark to preserve the historic continuity of the unreleased figure you have there.

Volleydan
03-29-2010, 09:07 AM
If it's Sharpie, then rubbing alcohol will take it off without harming the factory paint apps.

I agree with Kevin, though. I wouldn't monkey with unreleased pieces...too much history there.

Average Joe
03-29-2010, 10:10 AM
the flight suit she comes with covers up the marking. but I'd still like to display this fig with the original 13 characters, it would be nice to have her as Quarel. The figure is still an unreleased figure whether or not the HM is on there, so how does it affect historical significance.

Now you guys have me second guessing me decision, maybe I shouldn't remove it afterall.

notpicard
03-30-2010, 01:43 AM
I grappled with the same thing. Aesthetically, the HM doesn't look good. But does add to the item's history. That figure is a good conversation piece and it is another part of the story to keep it there.

Plus, I doubt it will come off entirely. That portion may just end up with a faint HM that my eyes would be drawn to when I looked at it.

I do see why you would want to remove it. But I would personally leave it there. This happened to me with a proto figure and I ended up finding one without it there then selling off the one with it for roughly the same price. It may sound stupid, but I didn't end up with any remnants of marker.

DPrime
03-30-2010, 07:17 AM
the flight suit she comes with covers up the marking. but I'd still like to display this fig with the original 13 characters, it would be nice to have her as Quarel. The figure is still an unreleased figure whether or not the HM is on there, so how does it affect historical significance.

Now you guys have me second guessing me decision, maybe I shouldn't remove it afterall.

What happens when/if it does get released though? The Club has already started to do international figures and they know everyone wants a 25th Quarrel...

I would just keep it that way.

Average Joe
03-30-2010, 10:34 AM
What happens when/if it does get released though? The Club has already started to do international figures and they know everyone wants a 25th Quarrel...

I would just keep it that way.

a Club version of the figure just wouldn't be the same as an Hasbro version. The Club typcically doesn't release quality stuff.

DPrime
03-30-2010, 04:39 PM
a Club version of the figure just wouldn't be the same as an Hasbro version. The Club typcically doesn't release quality stuff.

???

I beg to differ on that. Regardless of personal opinion, it would still be likely to affect the value of a preproduction version - without the HM marking, IF a Club Quarrel was released, who's to say it's not just a Club figure with a painted head (assuming their version would be blonde, that is - which I think it would be)?

This I Command!
03-31-2010, 10:33 PM
have you tried really aggressively rubbing at it with your thumb over time? I know that sounds stupid but I've actually gotten marker writing off protos almost entirely by doing this before. If you can build up enough oil from your finger over time you will lighten/remove almost entirely depending on what kind of marker was used without messing with any chemicals on the factory paint.

Average Joe
04-01-2010, 11:33 AM
have you tried really aggressively rubbing at it with your thumb over time? I know that sounds stupid but I've actually gotten marker writing off protos almost entirely by doing this before. If you can build up enough oil from your finger over time you will lighten/remove almost entirely depending on what kind of marker was used without messing with any chemicals on the factory paint.

you don't think it will smudge that way?

This I Command!
04-01-2010, 12:39 PM
you don't think it will smudge that way?

it may smudge a tiny bit, but the continued rubbing gets the smudged part off pretty easily from my experience. The only part that leaves any "ghost lines" is the part where the ink was actually applied, in this case the HM. Kind of like how a tattoo looks like a huge mess of ink when its being applied but then when they wipe it down only the image remains, except with this the image will get progressively lighter and lighter. You may want to do a test run on a cheap figure if you don't feel sure, but I've done this on two separate protos and had pretty good results.