1985 Airtight Featured in Catalog Mystery [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : 1985 Airtight Featured in Catalog Mystery

Bigbot
06-28-2010, 10:34 PM
Hello all,

I need help in placing this Airtight figure I purchased a while back. I purchased it from a former Hasbro model maker who kept this from his days at Hasbro. According to this person, this Airtight was featured in a catalog or flyer. He was removed from package for the shoot and stapled back onto his packaging. The back of the card features a "Creative" label which I assume was from marketing. The label reads:

CATALOG: NOV FLYER
PAGE#: 31
ITEM#: 6114

Any ideas? Any help finding the catalog or the flyer they are referring to would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk423/mechman03/Airtight.jpg
http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk423/mechman03/Airtightback.jpg
http://i310.photobucket.com/albums/kk423/mechman03/Catalog.jpg

just_joes_by_mike
06-28-2010, 11:20 PM
How about a retailer pre-christmas catologue or ad? Sounds about right, like Sears, JCP, or TRU.

Bigbot
06-29-2010, 06:11 AM
Makes sense since it is supposed to be a Novenber flyer. I have searched the Sears Christmas catalog for '85, but page 31 does not contain GI Joe. I will have to hunt down more catalogs.

If anyone has them out there I would appreciate a quick look if it's not too much trouble. :)

UnKnownSnowTrooper
06-29-2010, 03:41 PM
i think the flyer is a pre xmas flyer kinda like a sneakpeak or a mini catalog

Bigbot
07-01-2010, 10:40 PM
i think the flyer is a pre xmas flyer kinda like a sneakpeak or a mini catalog

Could be, but it would have to be at least 31 pages big. Gosh, this is going to bug me...

yeti76
07-02-2010, 07:12 PM
A bunch of these were on eBay a few years ago. The seller had quite a few from 1985 series and all of them were opened. Though I don't remember if they were stapled like. I do remember the seller saying they were used for the Toy Fair that year. I guess the packages were all opened and the figures were displayed and photographed, maybe for a pamphlet or catalog used to pass out to retailers? I don't know. but I do remember them saying these were used for Toy Fair.

Super Sport
07-02-2010, 07:36 PM
On pages 30 and 31 of the Montgomery Wards 1985 Christmas Catalog, there is a two page GI joe "splash" featuring the USS Flagg. On page 30, Airtight, along with Alpine, BBQ, QK, Dusty and Footloose, is pictured in a small frame photo, offset and imposed over and above the larger Flagg centerfold. The Cobra baddies are also presented in this manner. However, the description for AT, his heroic homies, and the thugs, is on page 31.

http://www.joeintel.com/general_page_desc.php?left_search=&cat=&countries_id=OTUyOTUy&cat_id=OTUyMTY2OTUy&cat_content_id=OTUyNTY1OTUy&image_id=OTUyMTQyMzk1Mg==

Perhaps this is the catalog you're looking for, and although the photos for that Joe/Cobra figure assortment had been plotted for page 31, they were moved to page 30 for aesthetic reasons.

I now that when I look at both pages together, specifically the Flagg spread, I don't see a better place for the two photos of figures than the one that was ultimately chosen.

hotdog
07-02-2010, 08:19 PM
On pages 30 and 31 of the Montgomery Wards 1985 Christmas Catalog, there is a two page GI joe "splash" featuring the USS Flagg. On page 30, Airtight, along with Alpine, BBQ, QK, Dusty and Footloose, is pictured in a small frame photo, offset and imposed over and above the larger Flagg centerfold. The Cobra baddies are also presented in this manner. However, the description for AT, his heroic homies, and the thugs, is on page 31.
the fact that you could track that down is absolutely incredible. I was looking all over, and came up empty. I salute you!

just_joes_by_mike
07-02-2010, 09:21 PM
That is awesome!! Now your figure has a claim to fame. Good work finding the ad SS.

Bigbot
07-02-2010, 10:29 PM
dude...Dude...DUDE!!! I thought I would never find out where this came from!!! You found the needle in a stack of needles!

PM me your address...I want to send you something. SUPER SPORT...MAN...I am totally grateful! :D

Super Sport
07-02-2010, 10:40 PM
I appreciate the warm noogies guys, :):), but the real props should go to Joeintel, and more importantly, Dmooretoys. And even after all that, who's to say that's actually the correct catalog.

While I was searching for more flicks of catalog pages and other advertising ephemera, I came across a few sites dedicated to other toy lines that had scans of fliers, newspaper inserts, and wishbooks from some obscure stores that are mostly long gone. For example, this TF Blog (http://pleasesavemerobots.blogspot.com/search/label/G.I.%20Joe) has some interesting stuff. Check out the Mervyn's ad at the bottom. The kid in the CC pajamas looks like he was born and raised in a Springfield cloning lab.

Anyway, for all we know, there's a wishbook out there with AT smack dab on page 31!

UnKnownSnowTrooper
07-08-2010, 02:27 PM
that TF blog is great i just love the ad for the flagg at $59.91 very nice

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_p81YuJ8op1c/SQs-isTeKrI/AAAAAAAABPM/MvV76bRzju8/s1600-h/87_k18nov_plwrld.jpg

Goofateer
07-12-2010, 06:31 PM
Wow. I've got 2 catalog shoot figures myself. Got them several years back on eBay. Don't think they are from the same batch though, because these 2 were all by themselves, and I think they have a totally different sticker on the back. At the time the resources to track them down simply were not online. Now, thanks to Dan, they are. Maybe I'll pull them out and see if I can find them.

Roger

Bigbot
07-13-2010, 03:48 PM
Wow. I've got 2 catalog shoot figures myself. Got them several years back on eBay. Don't think they are from the same batch though, because these 2 were all by themselves, and I think they have a totally different sticker on the back. At the time the resources to track them down simply were not online. Now, thanks to Dan, they are. Maybe I'll pull them out and see if I can find them.

Roger

Nice! I would love to know which ones you have and check out the stickers that were applied to yours. It's really nice to own a piece of Joe history like this. Pretty cool to think you have the actual figure photographed all those years ago and distributed in Wish Books and Catalogs for everyone to see!