GI Joe 157 [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : GI Joe 157

skinny
08-04-2010, 04:14 PM
***** possible spoilers in thread*****

The new GI Joe 157 hit the stands today.
both covers are great and depict what happens inside.
and boy howdy is there a lot happening inside.
I especially liked how the cobra troopers were handled, all snooty and feeling in charge, they dont realize how tenous their day in the sun really is.
Cobra Commander has a plan, Destro has been taking vocabulary enhancing courses again, Dr Venom is still around and Billy and the Baroness discuss some finer points of swordplay.
Meanwhile not one but six joes are on the run, just where are they all headed to? unknown but I am glad im not tracking them...

skullheadman
08-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Agreed; it was a pretty cool issue. Nice to see some of the old Hama-isms again (philosophical debates, military nomenclatures, 50 cent words, smack talking jokes, etc.)

Tom-K
08-05-2010, 03:22 PM
also thought it was a nice issue, nice touch that Cobra soldier that got saved by SE and not ratting them out to the guys on the radio (maybe Mercer??)

had a question though, are they going to try and tie this in to the devils due run (america's elite) that ended with all the bombs all over and almost WW III? or is this going to be what ever they feel like doing (which I am all for either way, but might prefer the new route since we know 'what happens' at the end of DD run.

I also seem to recall the Jugglers playing a large part in that series and Cobra Commander working with them here to get his agenda going.

hope they keep up the excellent series!

skullheadman
08-06-2010, 11:11 AM
One thing I didn't like is when Duke and Snake Eyes kill the anti-immigrant civilians. Granted, they were despicable characters and about to commit murder, but they were not military targets for the Joes. Just because the Joes are now outlaws doesn't mean they should stoop to taking out civilians because they are threatened by them. They're not upholding their virtues, the Army Values, or the law. It will only make it worse for them as outlaws, and when they are cleared/reinstated, they will have their actions to answer for. Ol' Snake Eyes and Scarlet could have easily disarmed and sundued these yokels and carried on honorably.

rea1180
08-06-2010, 11:57 AM
Tom, IDW has made clear the only continuity this comic will follow to date is the old marvel run. Although whether Idw makes tie ins in the future we will see. Also Hama may or may not consider some of his DD work valid.

Tom-K
08-06-2010, 12:03 PM
thanks for clarifying, that is what I thought I had heard, but wasn't for certain

glad to see him bring some of his good ideas over from IDW

looking forward to seeing where this goes since I stopped buying the other series a few months back, just lost interest

the scarecrow
09-03-2010, 11:01 AM
One thing I didn't like is when Duke and Snake Eyes kill the anti-immigrant civilians. Granted, they were despicable characters and about to commit murder, but they were not military targets for the Joes. Just because the Joes are now outlaws doesn't mean they should stoop to taking out civilians because they are threatened by them. They're not upholding their virtues, the Army Values, or the law. It will only make it worse for them as outlaws, and when they are cleared/reinstated, they will have their actions to answer for. Ol' Snake Eyes and Scarlet could have easily disarmed and sundued these yokels and carried on honorably.

Really? I haven't read this issue. How did it break down?