How's the market these days? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : How's the market these days?

danielmd06
02-20-2011, 12:21 PM
Hey guys. I'm finally almost done with training/education and am about to start a *real* job. I'll have some expendable income and was interested in getting back into the MOC game.

It's been about five years since I stopped!

How are prices? On ebay, they seem to be stable from where they were in 2006-2008..around the time of that big San Diego auction with the picture book.

Is this fair? I would hope that things have gotten cheaper. I'm really not interested in buying again if the prices are as high as they were in 2008.

I guess there's always the loose market! Anyway. Great to be back!

cageyJG
02-20-2011, 04:03 PM
Anyone feel free to challenge this, but I say

'80s loose: Going back up but has been low lately
'80s MOC: Up

'90s loose: No change
'90s MOC: Down

'00s loose: High (for the few HTF figs)
'00s MOC: Low

Welcome back. If you see anything interesting, please put it up for discussion because it seems like a lot of surprises pop up.

JoeToyFan
03-04-2011, 03:47 PM
danielmd06, welcome back to YoJoe and the collector world :D!

I have bought several MOC figures over the last 2 years off ebay.

I bought a couple 1991 Desert Scorpion MOC $25-$30
Hit and Run v1 MOC $35
1989 Alley Viper MOC $75 (bidding war)

I go to various toy shows during the year and loose figures change at each show.

spiderpumpkin
03-04-2011, 04:36 PM
I think prices are going up because of all the new collectors that weren't in the market before the 25th/ME figures caught there eye. Now they are going back to buy the figures they had in the 1980s and 1990s. Also, a lot of the 1990s is going up because the kids that collected those years first are rebuying again.

shortfuze9999
03-05-2011, 12:52 PM
I think prices are going up because of all the new collectors that weren't in the market before the 25th/ME figures caught there eye. Now they are going back to buy the figures they had in the 1980s and 1990s. Also, a lot of the 1990s is going up because the kids that collected those years first are rebuying again.

90's MOC's are definitely up.

martin-montreal
03-06-2011, 07:20 AM
New collectors and the movie can explain an increase in the demand of GI Joe collectibles.

In one hand, there is also the USD low value. 5 years back, with 1 Canadian dollar (CAD), I could only buy $0.75 USD. These days, with $1 CAD, I can buy $1.02 USD. The USD lost about 25% of its value in the past 5 years. You guys don't really see it since you are paid in USD and you spend in USD. But if you have the feeling that everything you pay now cost you more than a few years back, that is not just a feeling. Canadian and European buyers are now more present in the market increasing the demand (so the price). It's now cheaper for us.

On the other hand, the global financial crisis hit the world (2008-2010). A lot of people sold their collection to keep their house. That increased the offer of toys in the market.

That is why prices, IMHO, are generally stable (more or less): Increase in demand and increase in offer = stable market.

Just my 2¢...

Martin