Canadian vehicles [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Canadian vehicles

flounnderr
06-04-2011, 06:47 PM
Does anyone collect Canadian versions of joe vehicles? I got a couple and didn't know they say Canada and have the Canadian Flag. Wierd, eh?

regards,
Joshua

martin-montreal
06-04-2011, 09:56 PM
Does anyone collect Canadian versions of joe vehicles? I got a couple and didn't know they say Canada and have the Canadian Flag. Wierd, eh?

regards,
Joshua

I'm Canadian... so that is not weird for me. When I was a kid, all my vehicles had Canadian flags... so I thought GI Joe was a Canadian army :D

Martin

flounnderr
06-04-2011, 10:51 PM
I guess so, they don't seem to be worth anymore than the american versions.

martin-montreal
06-05-2011, 09:49 AM

Not more not less. It is the excat same vehicle, same quality. If you don't want Canadian flags, you may want to buy American flags from Cobra Stickers, Replacement and restoration stickers for classic G.I. Joe vehicles. (http://www.cobrastickers.com) (a Canadian company :D )

Martin

wild weasel tank buster
06-05-2011, 09:52 AM
They are usually less(basically only the canadian flagg is worth more) because most collectors want the U.S. versions, but many collectors(like me) honestly could care less about a flag decal.

Volleydan
06-05-2011, 07:31 PM
MOST Canadian vehicles are the same as their US counterparts (except for the stickers).

Some vehicles released in Canada were actually the recolored mail-away versions of the vehicles. For example, I know that the mail away Stinger was released at retail in Canada.

The other thing to look out for with Canadian Joes is the file cards. While some are identical to US versions, others are printed in English and French, and yet others are English-only variations unique to Canada. I have two pretty unique Canadian file cards in my collection....one is for Spirit V1 (the file card lists his code-name as "Shaman") and the other is for Scarlett V1 (the picture depicts Cover Girl). I have also heard that some Canadian file cards changed the place of birth of the character to a Canadian city.

Flophouse
06-05-2011, 08:30 PM
I have also heard that some Canadian file cards changed the place of birth of the character to a Canadian city.

They did indeed.

navy viper
06-05-2011, 11:03 PM
Not more not less. It is the excat same vehicle, same quality. If you don't want Canadian flags, you may want to buy American flags from Cobra Stickers, Replacement and restoration stickers for classic G.I. Joe vehicles. (http://www.cobrastickers.com) (a Canadian company :D )

Martin

I thought that COBRASTICKERS.COM was able to sell repo stickers in Canada because Hasbro couldn't find a way to shut them down on copywright infringment ? of course they sell G.I.JOE in Canada as well these days, so that therory may not hold water ? any body have any comments on this ? I would like to know how they can sell copywrighted stuff ? Do you think Hasbro gave them permission ? That doesn't seem likely ? any ideas/ thoughts would be appreciated - didn't mean to steal this thread if that happens

navy viper
06-07-2011, 01:14 AM
I would be cautious of the preveious post ! I don't really see how that has anything to do with the current topic & the last time I clicked on a link in a post like this it was just a bunch of B/S:mad::mad::mad::mad:

wild weasel tank buster
06-07-2011, 01:20 AM
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm185/wildweasel_2008/spam_1.jpg

StkhlmDK
06-07-2011, 03:19 AM
Well, that is why we have the small red triangle to report with ;)

As for the topic, I just got the black MOBAT which I believe is unique for the Canadian market and the same goes for the black Stinger w/MMS, right?

wild weasel tank buster
06-07-2011, 07:36 AM
Well, that is why we have the small red triangle to report with ;)

As for the topic, I just got the black MOBAT which I believe is unique for the Canadian market and the same goes for the black Stinger w/MMS, right?
By black stinger, I assume you mean black vamp and just typed incorrectly. If so, then yes, that is a canada(I believe sears) exclusive, and the black mobat is some canadian distribution company exclusive(unless it has the red parts, which means it is a U.S./canada cat, but I believe you would know that).

StkhlmDK
06-07-2011, 07:44 AM
Yes of course, I meant the VAMP w/MMS :) The red/black I am familiar with as I just won a second one a few weeks ago so the Cobra Armoured team is slowly expanding :D

Volleydan
06-07-2011, 08:39 AM
A company called Consumer's Distributing (Canada's equivalent of Sears) released an all-black M.O.B.A.T. called the "Cobra Combat Tank" and an all-black V.A.M.P./M.M.S. set called the M.S.V. in the early 80s. The tank came with a swivel-arm Cobra Commander and the M.S.V. set did not include any figures.

They are among the most valuable international vehicles, with the tank bringing $250-300 and the M.S.V. set reaching $750 when complete and in good condition. MISB examples of either are extremely rare, with only a handful known to exist.

There was also at least one and possibly more packaging exclusives released in Canada. They released a Stinger/ASP 2-pack called the "Cobra Combat Set". Again, MISB examples are very rare, with only one or two known to exist. The vehicles that came in this set were, to the best of my knowledge, identical to the US version.

wild weasel tank buster
06-07-2011, 08:57 AM
A company called Consumer's Distributing (Canada's equivalent of Sears) released an all-black M.O.B.A.T. called the "Cobra Combat Tank" and an all-black V.A.M.P./M.M.S. set called the M.S.V. in the early 80s. The tank came with a swivel-arm Cobra Commander and the M.S.V. set did not include any figures.

They are among the most valuable international vehicles, with the tank bringing $250-300 and the M.S.V. set reaching $750 when complete and in good condition. MISB examples of either are extremely rare, with only a handful known to exist.

There was also at least one and possibly more packaging exclusives released in Canada. They released a Stinger/ASP 2-pack called the "Cobra Combat Set". Again, MISB examples are very rare, with only one or two known to exist. The vehicles that came in this set were, to the best of my knowledge, identical to the US version.
This is very good info here(I don't know why I was thinking the stinger/mms set was sears, becuase you are 100% correct,that just slipped my mind). I've honestly only seen one of the msv sets misb for sale, and I've just about seen it all(although somehow I never saw that funskool orange/yellow m.m.s. that was for sale, but I guess thats a good thing becuase I would have wanted to buy it, butfor 7.5k that wouldn't have happened) so that should give you an idea of how rare it is stkhlm(good luck getting it though). I also believe that the asp/stinger set is identical, but cannot guaruntee that.

StkhlmDK
06-07-2011, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the update Volleydan, I am excited to finally find a black MOBAT for sale and then win it is just double the fun :D

Flophouse
06-07-2011, 11:03 AM
A company called Consumer's Distributing (Canada's equivalent of Sears) released an all-black M.O.B.A.T. called the "Cobra Combat Tank" and an all-black V.A.M.P./M.M.S. set called the M.S.V. in the early 80s.

Consumer's Distributing was just another company similar to Sears, but we had (still have) Sears stores across Canada as well. Both Sears and Consumer's Distributing had thick mail order catalogs in addition to actual store fronts, although Sears had larger stores in major cities. The small town I grew up in just had a small Sears outpost where 99% of sales were orders from the catalog and a few appliances, etc in the store itself.

The Cobra Tank is for sure a Consumer's D item. The M.S.V. set though is a Sears item.

Here's samples;

M.S.V.
YOJOE.COM | Cobra Combat Set M.S.V. (http://www.yojoe.com/international/canada/cobramsv.shtml)

Cobra Tank;
YOJOE.COM | Cobra Motorized Tank (http://www.yojoe.com/international/canada/cobratank.shtml)

Super Sport
06-07-2011, 09:12 PM
...I've honestly only seen one of the msv sets misb for sale...

Where and when was this?

wild weasel tank buster
06-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Where and when was this?
I could have sworn I saw one for sale on ebay a few years back, although I could be wrong.

wild weasel tank buster
06-07-2011, 09:46 PM
Consumer's Distributing was just another company similar to Sears, but we had (still have) Sears stores across Canada as well. Both Sears and Consumer's Distributing had thick mail order catalogs in addition to actual store fronts, although Sears had larger stores in major cities. The small town I grew up in just had a small Sears outpost where 99% of sales were orders from the catalog and a few appliances, etc in the store itself.

The Cobra Tank is for sure a Consumer's D item. The M.S.V. set though is a Sears item.

Here's samples;

M.S.V.
YOJOE.COM | Cobra Combat Set M.S.V. (http://www.yojoe.com/international/canada/cobramsv.shtml)

Cobra Tank;
YOJOE.COM | Cobra Motorized Tank (http://www.yojoe.com/international/canada/cobratank.shtml)
Wow, so I was correct. I thought it was sears but then what volleydan said clicked in my mind, and since he knows much more than I do I figured I was wrong. It just shows me I need to brush up with some of the more local stuff as I've been focusing on south america and europe.

Volleydan
06-08-2011, 07:45 AM
I stand corrected. I had always thought of Consumers Distributing and Sears Canada as the same thing so I had used them randomly when discussing these items. I guess this old Texas boy just doesn't know that much about Canada after all :o

As far as the MIB one that was for sale, it was a couple years ago and the same seller had both the tank and the M.S.V. for sale at the same time. IIRC, he wanted like $6K for the M.S.V. and $4K for the tank initially, and by the time he eventually pulled the auctions, he had relisted several times and the prices had eventually dropped to $3,500 and $2K.

I do not remember whether they were MIB or MISB though. I think they were just MIB, but it's been a while so I could be wrong. The reason I think they were MIB is that I seem to recall messaging him asking if I could just buy the boxes (I already had both toys and blueprints). I never heard back though.

Either way, there are only a handful of collectors out there who can/will pay that kind of scratch for toys and he caught a lot of us at a bad time. I hope they come back up again.....

wild weasel tank buster
06-08-2011, 08:30 AM
I stand corrected. I had always thought of Consumers Distributing and Sears Canada as the same thing so I had used them randomly when discussing these items. I guess this old Texas boy just doesn't know that much about Canada after all :o

As far as the MIB one that was for sale, it was a couple years ago and the same seller had both the tank and the M.S.V. for sale at the same time. IIRC, he wanted like $6K for the M.S.V. and $4K for the tank initially, and by the time he eventually pulled the auctions, he had relisted several times and the prices had eventually dropped to $3,500 and $2K.

I do not remember whether they were MIB or MISB though. I think they were just MIB, but it's been a while so I could be wrong. The reason I think they were MIB is that I seem to recall messaging him asking if I could just buy the boxes (I already had both toys and blueprints). I never heard back though.

Either way, there are only a handful of collectors out there who can/will pay that kind of scratch for toys and he caught a lot of us at a bad time. I hope they come back up again.....
I also think it was mib, I just synonymously say misb, I don't remember the price though. If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for your msv set(don't feel obligated to answer, its just me being nosey :) )? I wouldn't mind getting one of them next time one pops up.

Volleydan
06-08-2011, 09:38 AM
Sure, no problem. I got an really good deal from a friend on these items. I bought both the M.S.V. and the Combat Tank at the same time for $825 shipped.

Both pieces are complete and in immaculate condition, and both included their blueprints. Heck, I even got the Cobra Commander that came with the tank!

I have since seen incomplete/broken examples of just the MSV go in the $700 range, so I'm quite happy to say the least.

Tattoo Shane
06-11-2011, 02:15 PM
To the best of my knowledge and research, there are no known sealed examples of the MSV, Consumers Tank or Cobra Combat Set.

Known quantities of examples of these with boxes are less than 5 and only 3 of the Combat Set.

People interested in Canadian Joe exclusives should check out my article in the Joe Declassified newsletter from last year's Canadian Joe con. It starts on page 6 at the following link:

http://www.joedeclassified.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Declassified_Report_03_JULY2010.pdf

the_great_old
06-12-2011, 05:04 AM
I hit my head when I see those prices. I simply forgot to bid on a M.S.V. set that was on ebay about 4 months ago. It was only missing one tiny thing and it sold for I think $370.

martin-montreal
06-13-2011, 10:00 PM
I thought that COBRASTICKERS.COM was able to sell repo stickers in Canada because Hasbro couldn't find a way to shut them down on copywright infringment ? of course they sell G.I.JOE in Canada as well these days, so that therory may not hold water ? any body have any comments on this ? I would like to know how they can sell copywrighted stuff ? Do you think Hasbro gave them permission ? That doesn't seem likely ? any ideas/ thoughts would be appreciated - didn't mean to steal this thread if that happens

I read somewhere that Hasbro was fine with stickers replacement. They knew they won't last forever and Hasbro is not interested providing vintage stickers. So, they don't care about people making stickers.

Martin

martin-montreal
06-15-2011, 10:02 PM
The other thing to look out for with Canadian Joes is the file cards. While some are identical to US versions, others are printed in English and French, and yet others are English-only variations unique to Canada. I have two pretty unique Canadian file cards in my collection....one is for Spirit V1 (the file card lists his code-name as "Shaman") and the other is for Scarlett V1 (the picture depicts Cover Girl).

I never saw that before, but I would like to see it at least once ;)

I have also heard that some Canadian file cards changed the place of birth of the character to a Canadian city.

This is true, like Grunt in Trois-Rivières (Québec)...

http://www.yojoe.com/filecard/international/canada/cngrunt.jpg

Airborne in Caughnawaga (Québec)

http://www.yojoe.com/filecard/international/canada/airborne.jpg

Steeler in Hamilton (Ontario)

http://www.yojoe.com/filecard/international/canada/steeler.jpg

And Scarlett in Grande Prairie (Alberta)

http://www.yojoe.com/filecard/international/canada/cnscarlt.jpg

Martin

martin-montreal
06-16-2011, 08:43 PM
As posted on JoeCanuck (JoeCanuck.com • View topic - Canadian filecard question (http://www.joecanuck.com/board1/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5712&start=12)) by Dodge822:

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp221/dodge822/IMG-20110616-00034.jpg

Volleydan
06-17-2011, 09:43 AM
I posted that the Canadian file cards came in English only as well as English/French based on my recollection of a conversation I once had with Tattoo Shane.....it is entirely possible that (a) I misunderstood or (b) I misremembered. Either way, it's likely that I'm just an idiot creating urban legends here.....

I don't personally have any proof that they do exist, so sorry if I got anyone excited for nothing. :o

Tattoo Shane
06-20-2011, 04:54 PM
Definitely no english only Canadian FCs.

There's also a Rock and Roll FC showing his birthplace as Ottawa. Martin, does your Grunt FC have a blank back or is it from a carded figure?

martin-montreal
06-24-2011, 07:11 AM
Definitely no english only Canadian FCs.

There's also a Rock and Roll FC showing his birthplace as Ottawa. Martin, does your Grunt FC have a blank back or is it from a carded figure?

Sorry for the confusion... these are not mine. I took the pictures from Yojoe archive...

Martin

The Bigshow
07-11-2011, 11:52 AM
Hi all,

Long time lurker on the site for my Joe fix, but just today signed up. I have been picking up pieces here and there for the last 2 years up in New Brunswick Canada at flea markets and yard sales.

Didn't realise what I had in my modest collection. I bought a Cobra Combat Set MSV with its box earlier this year.

I"ll add some pictures in the days ahead if you'd like.

You can now add a 6th known to exist I guess.

Thanks

darthdrew13
07-11-2011, 01:36 PM
DUDE!!!!!

You gotta post pics and the price you paid!!!

I want one of those!

Oh Yeah, and Welcome to YoJoe!

The Bigshow
07-11-2011, 06:33 PM
Embarassed that I just have the set laying out in the garage. Will have to take a bit better care of it now.

Wish I had an exciting story of me tracking it down. He was selling his childhood collection at a yard sale and I was drawn at first to the '83 Joes Headquarters that also had its original box. I looked over his table and he had the MSV set (I thought it was just a Stinger) I didn't see the box it was under the table. He was also selling a Mobat, Dragonfly, HISS, VAMP and RAM. There were 6 figures as well. Can't remember, 3 or 4 straight arm and a couple from '83 IIRC.

There were no prices so I asked what he would take for the whole lot. He said $200 and I walked away. Seriously, I almost got back in my truck.

I've got a very modest collection that I've started when my son was born in 2009. I remember having so much fun with then as a kid I thought I'd collect a few for the little guy as he gets older.

The guy yelled to me as I walked back the truck he'd take $160 for the lot and I said yes. I left to get some cash and he had them ready for me when I got back.

The MSV, Headquarters and Mobat all had their original boxes.

MSV is not mint as it is missing it's steering wheel... Oh well.

I'll post the pictures tomorrow.

Volleydan
07-11-2011, 10:17 PM
If you ever would consider selling the MSV box, please let me know. I will make you a very generous offer for the box - I don't even want the toy.

xclgreen
07-11-2011, 11:30 PM
http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm185/wildweasel_2008/spam_1.jpg

unique pic.

The Bigshow
07-12-2011, 07:24 AM
Having some trouble posting pics on the site. Will try this.

Pictures by bigshow5 - Photobucket (http://s1086.photobucket.com/albums/j444/bigshow5/)

When I took the pictures last night I noticed for the first time there is actually a small square cut out of the box (proof of purchase???). Same with the headquarters, but not the Mobat.

http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j444/bigshow5/Picture002.jpg

StkhlmDK
07-12-2011, 08:41 AM
Very very nice set w/box, I would recommend that you put that in a safe and climate controlled environment from now on ;)

Actually this find in a yard sale could spawn a new "gold rush" to Canada except this time its to hunt down Joe-stuff :D

darthdrew13
07-12-2011, 10:44 AM
WOW.... just WOW. NICE!
Congrats!

Flophouse
07-12-2011, 10:58 AM
Hmm, something seems strange here.

I recognize that box because it was on ebay only a few weeks ago. It was part of a lot from an eastern Canada seller. It had the boxed Headquarters (Canadian version) and all the other items that are mentioned from the yard sale.

I was watching it because I thought it might slip through the cracks of "watchers", as there was no mention of MSV in the title description. 3-4 days to go there were no bids and I got my hopes up, then bids quickly jumped to $200 with 1-2 days to go. Then the listing had ended before it's scheduled end date. I assumed, which is usually the case in these rare item auctions, that someone had contacted the seller and offered them x amount of money to end the auction early.

The yard sale lot and the ebay lot are identical, the tear on the MSV box is very distinct. I find it strange that the seller would pull the auction after the bids started rolling in, only to give it away for $160 at a yard sale.

Something seems odd. Just saying.........

The Bigshow
07-12-2011, 12:06 PM
If that was the case it is news to me. It was Eastern Canada (Saint John NB) so could be the same guy. He did say he was selling other 80's toys on Kijiji (like a craigslist site in Canada).

Was there anything else in the ebay add you can recall?

The Bigshow
07-12-2011, 12:09 PM
purchase date was Saturday June 18th. If that helps solve the mystery.

Flophouse
07-12-2011, 07:57 PM
There was many photos in the ebay listing, I remember seeing the MSV with the box that has the tear on the artwork side, there was a Command Headquarters with Canadian decals and the box was Bi-Lingual, there was a green Vamp, a Hiss tank, Ram, misc figures and parts, a Dragonfly with a broken rotor top I believe. There may have been a few other items in there but that was the basics.

I'm sure others here were watching this auction too.

The Bigshow
07-13-2011, 06:01 AM
Yes it must have been the same lot. The dragonfly did have a broken rotor top.

There was a Canadian Postal Strike in effect at the time up here, maybe that played into his decission.

It is quite obvious now that neither him or I had any idea at the time the real value of that little black jeep...

It wasn't until I couldn't find the vehicle in Bellomo's GI Joe collection guide that I looked it up on YOJOE.

Thanks Flophouse for some background on this toy lot.

Flophouse
07-13-2011, 05:10 PM
No worries. You're right. The Postal strike probably turned the seller off from keeping it on ebay. I was going to bid, keep the box and sell the rest. You scored well on that one. Enjoy.