Grading question "Please give your opinion" [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Grading question "Please give your opinion"

F15032
05-27-2004, 08:21 PM
Hi, I just recently picked up at auction a so called C-8 figure. When I got the figure he had paint wear all over his head his boots. He also had a scratch on his back were someone tried to replace the screw and sliped. Here's the question.

Q) What would you grade this figure?

I think
C-5 maybe C-6

Please help. I can provide a pic.
THX

Propadeutic
05-27-2004, 09:08 PM
Depending on the severity of the wear on the head, I'd give it a 7, max. But a totally messed up head would immediately drop the figure to a 4 in my book. (Or, in eBay terms, C3.999+!!!)

Then again, I'm more generous with the numbers than most people, which is why I prefer straight descriptions.

thunt4
05-27-2004, 09:33 PM
if you had a pic it would make it a little easier to judge but maybe a 6-7

thunt4
05-28-2004, 06:27 AM
i would say 6-6.5 but I am not sure how the front looks though too, You sent the back and that didn't look good at all, were the joints loose as well?

thebigzakbowski
05-28-2004, 09:10 AM
i'd have to see it myself

dukenukem1
05-28-2004, 10:04 AM
That sucks man, but thats what to expect. I have done over 3000 deals on ebay and yojoe and other places and I have encountered maybe 10 or so people who are good graders! Sadly to say 95% of Ebay and Yojoe does not know how to grade.

Grading is very subjective. However there are generalities about it that most everyone misses. There is only one type of mint figure. Everyone should be able to grade a mint figure successfully. A mint figure has no paintwear or loose joints or cracks and breaks. There should be no discrepency with MINT.

However C8 is a little bit harder. The figure you got would probably be a C5-C6 if depending on how bad the wear on the head was.Its hard to say with those figures. Anything under C7 is junk in my opinion and I wouldnt even bother to grade those because it is just too hard and it is kind of a waste of time. Those figures should just be saved for the customizers.

Sorry I had to vent, but grading is a major problem on here and ebay!

[ May 28, 2004: Message edited by: dukenukem1 ]

F15032
05-29-2004, 06:48 AM
Thanks guy's. I took him apart today just to see what's what. And the joints were clued to try and make them tighter. My main problem is with the seller who was outraged that I told him I would not leave feedback b/c he sucks at grading figures. I know better then to trust a seller I have not bought from in the past. Live and learn I guess.

Thanks everyone.