Snipers [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Snipers

Static
06-01-2004, 06:54 PM
What do you think of snipers on Ebay bidding for your Joes?

Are you one? Why do you do it?

joeboy75
06-01-2004, 07:04 PM
I snipe. tongue.gif

Deogg
06-01-2004, 07:14 PM
If it's not a buy it now, I snipe.

acmirro
06-01-2004, 07:15 PM
Sniping is part of the game. I have lost and won many items by sniping.

Its the best when you win, the worst when you loose.

Druss
06-01-2004, 07:15 PM
If its something other people are going to actually bid on then there is no reason not to snipe.

Bidding earlier in the auction only drives the price up. Wait till the end and if the price is reasonable then put in your bid at the end.

skorponok
06-01-2004, 07:20 PM
IF you want to win on ebay, you HAVE to snipe.

However, when I'm selling an item and it doesn't get very high until the snipers get it at the last minute it angers me for causing so much stress ;) tongue.gif

Fireflyanon
06-01-2004, 07:20 PM
If you want to win you have to snipe unless it is something unpopular yet still you never know who wants some oddball thing.

I don't use any programs though I only do it personally and I forget about alot of auctions until they have ended.

Deogg
06-01-2004, 07:29 PM
Also, 90% of the time, the people that think sniping is some cardinal sin are just miffed at getting sniped themselves.

Static
06-01-2004, 07:34 PM
I'll make sure to watch for you guys whenever I am bidding. LOL

danyanda
06-01-2004, 07:44 PM
I usually just look at things ending within an hour on ebay because I snipe almost exclusively. I have gotten sniped, too, but that's the way it goes. The best was when I won a Zarana with earings for $3.25 and the dude I outbid sent me a nasty e-mail. If you really wanted it, bid more than $3 ;)

Static
06-01-2004, 07:56 PM
SO, IT WAS YOU!!!

joeboy75
06-01-2004, 08:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Druss:

Bidding earlier in the auction only drives the price up. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True.

joeboy75
06-01-2004, 08:09 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Deogg:
Also, 90% of the time, the people that think sniping is some cardinal sin are just miffed at getting sniped themselves.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very true.

[ June 01, 2004: Message edited by: joeboy75 ]

Cavalry Man
06-01-2004, 08:42 PM
If it's not a buy it now, I snipe.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thats exactly what I do. Bidding early only drives the price up. I usually wait for the last five minutes or so. I won many auctions that way, but have lost probably the same amount. It always angers me
:mad: when I lose by literally $0.01, but I've won by that much too.
Besides it part of the fun.
smile.gif

[ June 01, 2004: Message edited by: Cavalry Man ]

Darko
06-01-2004, 09:01 PM
I find them obnoxious and annoying. But what can you do?

The ones I do have serious problems with are the ones who use programs. At least put some effort into it.

jay mysterio 2000
06-01-2004, 09:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cavalry Man:

Thats exactly what I do. Bidding early only drives the price up. I usually wait for the last five minutes or so. I won many auctions that way, but have lost probably the same amount. It always angers me
:mad: when I lose by literally $0.01, but I've won by that much too.
Besides it part of the fun.
smile.gif

[ June 01, 2004: Message edited by: Cavalry Man ]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was exactly how much I won my Wrestlemania floor seats by .01

thunt4
06-01-2004, 09:33 PM
In the end if you get sniped who cares it will come around again someday, why yell about it when you should have just had a higher bid. I haven't had time to snipe lately so i put a high bid in even though i know i iwll end up paying more since i can't bid at the last second but i still won a lot of my auctions

Snow
06-02-2004, 04:07 AM
I snipe.

BoogDoc7
06-02-2004, 06:24 AM
I've got nothing against it...there's nothing dishonest about it that I can see. Seeing as most auctions differ by only a few cents, it's part of the game and the only real way to win.

Another addendum...if there's something you want, be the first bidder if you can, and go ahead and set your maximum price. If you get lucky and no one else bids, then you aren't out anything and you weren't the one costing yourself and everyone else money.

gunless
06-02-2004, 07:13 AM
I don't mind people who wait til the last minute to put bids, It's those people who wait til the last SECOND so you cant possibly outbid. Although I've done it too, usually because I didnt see the auction until the last second. Now I usually figure what I'm willing to pay, bid that, and check the auction later (after it's ended). This cuts down on alot of stress ;) . It's also been the case where I bid more than I really wanted to pay because I got caught up in the "thrill" of it and I was actually GLAD someone sniped.
As a general rule though, I don't bid on auctions until the last day.

[ June 02, 2004: Message edited by: gunless ]

Patrick A. Riley
06-02-2004, 07:13 AM
I do, but never by the minimum bid plus $.01. I usually bid a great deal more. I snipe with my maximum bid.

I have received an e-mail from someone I outbid telling me that "sniping is not cool"

Iron Snake
06-02-2004, 09:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Druss:
If its something other people are going to actually bid on then there is no reason not to snipe.

Bidding earlier in the auction only drives the price up. Wait till the end and if the price is reasonable then put in your bid at the end.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is my philosophy. I only bid early if I don't care if I win the item, then I'll put in my max and let it ride. Or, the only other time I'll bid early is to mark the auction as something I want to keep track of (I don't always look at the items I'm watching) and I'll bid like a dollar or something. Otherwise, it's a snipers world and I'm a sniping.

crimsonhawk
06-02-2004, 10:06 AM
Sniping is a way of life.

Too bad it isn't called smurfing..

"I smurfed that MOC snake eyes!!!"

GungHo
06-02-2004, 10:42 AM
I always snipe..... ;) tongue.gif

red25thta
06-02-2004, 11:41 AM
Due to me not getting home till 2 in the morning most of the time I just figure out what the highest price I am willing to pay with shipping and put that bid in before I leave. BUt when I can I will snipe. I did know a guy who would snipe like $500 at the end so he was sure to win. HE paid $50 for 1 figure because someone else did the same thing. Thats the downfall to some snipers.

crimson tide
06-02-2004, 02:15 PM
Surprisingly here of late I haven't had to snipe. Usually my high bid is enough, kind of like this auction:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5900291182&sspagename=STRK%3A MEWN%3AIT&rd=1 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5900291182&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1)

Sorry ktowntoys. ;) I guess that could be technically a snipe.
:D

[ June 02, 2004: Message edited by: crimson tide ]

Propadeutic
06-02-2004, 06:11 PM
I only bid in the last five minutes. (My dial-up connection's too slow for true last-second sniping.) The highest I'm willing to pay, but always two cents over a round number. I've won several auctions with those two pennies.

KrymsynGardImmoral
06-02-2004, 10:57 PM
I used to hate snipers, but it really is the best way to avoid paying way too much for stuff. Bidding early just drives up the price for sure. I have dial up too, so I usually drop at like 25-30 seconds, then wait for the last 6 seconds to see if anyone used E-Snipe on it.

KtownJoes
06-03-2004, 06:43 AM
Crimson Tide sniped me!!!

EMAIL SENT !!

LOL... I cant snipe I use Dial-Up.... DSL coming soon I hope my house was built in the 1800's, so I had to run new phone lines to even be able to consider getting DSL put in.

Gojiro
06-03-2004, 06:59 AM
What is the best snipin program out there? I personally use AuctionSniper, but the fees suck @ss. More money to fleabay.

crimson tide
06-03-2004, 07:12 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KtownJoes:
Crimson Tide sniped me!!!

EMAIL SENT !!

LOL... I cant snipe I use Dial-Up.... DSL coming soon I hope my house was built in the 1800's, so I had to run new phone lines to even be able to consider getting DSL put in.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL!!!!
;) :D :D smile.gif

Deogg
06-03-2004, 07:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> What is the best snipin program out there? I personally use AuctionSniper, but the fees suck @ss. More money to fleabay <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's called sitting at the computer and doing it yourself.

crimson tide
06-03-2004, 11:30 AM

It's called sitting at the computer and doing it yourself.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its a lot more fun that way! ;)

drveovru2
06-03-2004, 11:52 AM
try esnipe.com

i use it when i cant be at my pc