Why do Americans overcharge so often? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Why do Americans overcharge so often?

RotterdamTerrorCorps
07-06-2004, 03:17 AM
It "seems" it is cheaper to send something from Europe to USA than it is to send the other way around. Canada to Europe (same distance) is cheaper than USA to Europe. How come? Overcharging happens a lot on eBay.

You pay $10 and when you receive there is maybe $2 worth of stamps on it. Who can explain the gap?

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>Americans use very expensive envelopes?
In America the postman is overpaid?
Americans want to make some extra dough to ripp-off those Medieval European peasants?
American stamps are gold-plated?
Auctions are not satisfactory, so make some money on shipment?[/list]

Personally I don't understand the differences. One guy was charged $12 on shipment for one loose figure! This is absolute nonsense! Talking about making good money!

BelgianGabber
07-06-2004, 04:08 AM
from my experience:

guys from N-America who have sent to Europe will let you pay +- what it costs

guys who haven't will overcharge because they think it will be expensive

guys on ebay, well, some are good, some are scalpers

I've just one an auction for a mib infantry pack. He stated 10$ shipping within the States. Well, I said it was a bit much and that that even would cover to Belgium and he agreed... So for 25$ I had a mib pack shipped... Not bad smile.gif

Cobra_Island_Survivor
07-06-2004, 04:42 AM
Mr Monkeyman =====&gt; do you mean George W. Bush Jr ?

The Lord of Steel
07-06-2004, 04:56 AM
You just said the forbidden G-word !!!!

RotterdamTerrorCorps
07-06-2004, 05:00 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cobra_Island_Survivor:
Mr Monkeyman<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Duh!

Please stay on topic.

JeffreyKabal
07-06-2004, 06:42 AM
I'm going to aply for a patent on that word!
You little belgian thief! ;)

dockingbay97
07-06-2004, 06:59 AM
I will charge whatever the postal calculator on usps.com says.

If you have issue with the charged amount, ask before you bid. Then you can question that amount. If you are unhappy with that amount, you can pass on the auction.

BelgianGabber
07-06-2004, 07:05 AM
I agree, but what if the auction states: 2.50$ within the US, Europe slightly more. Then I bid and expect 5$ or so, no then I get a crazy ammount... 12$ or something like that.

toe
07-06-2004, 07:06 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RotterdamTerrorCorps:

Duh!

Please stay on topic.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I too have no clue what that means..."Duh", makes me feel like I should..... additionally, it's in that guys comment box. I think it's free game then......Teach.

BTW, I don't think we should be stereotyping overcharging "Americans"....Some guy in Europe tryed to charge me $12 to ship a Sega game to the states.... I didn't ask, but I assumed he'd be shipping in a gold-trim box. Anyway, I didn't complain, as many ebayers tend to overcharge...not just Americans. Capeech (sp), or comprende, or do you understand?

[ July 06, 2004: Message edited by: toe ]

[ July 06, 2004: Message edited by: toe ]

dockingbay97
07-06-2004, 07:09 AM
But I don't think you should bid without asking what the shipping will be even if it is listed as "slightly more".

This applies to US to US transactions as well. If I see an auction I want without the shipping listed, I won't bid until I find out what the shipping is. Anyone is eligible to get screwed on shipping - not just non US bidders.

It is always smart to ask beforehand no matter the origin and destination of the transaction.

toe
07-06-2004, 07:24 AM
On one more additional nore, if you've been reading the boards the last few days, we've found out that some eBayers charge for dumb things such as their precious time and in that one case, he seemed to be charging for everything else that goes along with it..

But once again, I don't think this is a problem confined to Americans! Perhaps a better topic title should read, "Why do PEOPLE overcharge so often.".....and that topic has already been discussed over the last three-four days.

gunless
07-06-2004, 07:57 AM
RotterdamTerrorCorps, You've been a member here for a short period of time, yet the last 4 posts I read from you are:
2 criticizing people for putting posts in the bad trader section trying to warn others
2 saying "Americans" overcharge so often

maybe sit back awhile and see how things work before you start jumping on other people and namecalling.

[ July 06, 2004: Message edited by: gunless ]

dockingbay97
07-06-2004, 08:08 AM
I am locking this thread as it is going to go to no where good - really fast. The point was made. I see nothing but flaming resulting from this point on.

If another mod wants to unlock it, feel free.

action-figures.ca
07-09-2004, 10:26 AM
In Canada, the Canada Post rates are really screwy. It is cheaper to send small packages to the USA and overseas then it is within Canada! Also a couple of years ago, Canada Post made the cheapest shipping method for larger parcels to the USA "Expedited", which costs a hell of allot more than it used to. It includes insurance and order tracking, but the delivery time is still the same. Not worth it in my opinion as prices to ship have almost doubled. I always charge actual shipping only and feel bad when it comes out higher than the item is worth.