Charges dependant of direction? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Charges dependant of direction?

RotterdamTerrorCorps
07-06-2004, 09:26 AM
First of all, thanks everybody for participating in getting a topic shut down. :mad: I tried to open up with some ironic comments, but it gave the discussion a strange twist which led to shut-down of topic.

What I am trying to solve is why USA-rates are in general higher. The distance is the same, but from Europe to USA is cheaper than from USA to Europe.

Anyone has an idea?

I agree with dockingbay97 by asking for checking/asking rates beforehand. If you don't get answer or ridiculous quote then don't bid!

Toe: Yes, I should have phrased my question better: "How come USA -> EU is more expensive than EU -> US?"

Gunless: High charging is just my personal experience. Also had good experiences! smile.gif
When it comes to you charging me with calling names: I am not swearing or using bad words. With all people I communicate with I don't have the feeling I am attacking somebody.

[ July 06, 2004: Message edited by: RotterdamTerrorCorps ]

dockingbay97
07-06-2004, 09:31 AM
Well, this is not an excuse for all the overcharging but remember the Euro is stronger right now than the Dollar. Because of this, things can be more expensive for an American than someone from Europe. It takes us more Dollars to buy something than it does Euros.

And always remember - if the shipping cost isn't listed or is too vague (i.e. "slightly more), ask before bidding/buying.

RotterdamTerrorCorps
07-06-2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by dockingbay97:
the Euro is stronger right now than the Dollar.

An interesting point I have not taken into account! Your phrase confuses my brain! smile.gif

Without changing rates, a strong Euro would cause things stated in Dollars to be more cheap than before. So by this rule transport from US->Europa should be cheaper than vice versa.

Transport to USA->Europa is more expensive than Europe->USA. I guess it has to do with the receiving party. When shipping from Europa to USA, prices for postage to enter America are stated in Dollars. Dollar is cheap, so transport is cheap. When sending from USA to Europa, prices are defined in Euro's. Euro is expensive, so transport is expensive.

Above is assumption, but I think that we have hit the center! Please correct me if my thinking patterns are not correct.

red25thta
07-06-2004, 12:58 PM
When I have shipped to Canada or Europe it's been kinda costly. True even when I worked retail and shipped stuff via UPS it was higher. It also depends on how you want to ship it are they sending it air-mail? $12 seem's about right. Surface maybe $6-8. But it's also been a while for me since the last oversea's transaction cost me some money and lost some stuff due to it.