Old Decal Removal [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Old Decal Removal

GiBen65
09-02-2011, 04:52 PM
Ok ... question for all customizers out there. To your experience ... which ways and what products have proved the most successfull for removing old decals and removing whatever adhesive tack is left behind on the plastic?

dark_perceptor
09-02-2011, 09:28 PM
I've found methyl hydrate very useful for removing the residue, as well as a surface prep. It may help to warm the old glue with a heat gun or blow dryer. You might have to use something like varsol on old, old stuff. These work for the residue, but the trick is to get the actual old decal off.

BOUNCERDAVE
09-03-2011, 01:42 AM
For decals I soak what I need in water and oxyclean to remove the decals. Then I use goo gone for the residue

CobraLALALALA
09-03-2011, 12:09 PM
Denatured alcohol works really well and you can be pretty liberal with it and cause no harm to your toy. It can be found at Home Depot and other places around paint thinner, acetone, goo gone, and all of that stuff. I found it works best in terms of speed and being delicate.

Bowl is Forever
09-04-2011, 12:34 AM
Hey, I'll throw this in... I just took all the old decals off an old Power Wheels truck a couple days ago. Someone suggested WD40. I did as they said, let it sit on them for about 5 minutes and whalah, the decals and residue wiped off smoothly. Now, I'm not sure how it would work on vehicles, but I've used Goo be Gone and im not impressed with their results. Anyone know if WD40 would damage the old toys? The Power Wheels was 10 years old and it was black, there was no fading and no damage what so ever.

GiBen65
09-05-2011, 03:41 AM
Alot of interesting ways to approching this and it seems with many levels of success. I have never heard of using wd40 as a means for removal but should prove an interesting experiment.