Ever get the following line from sellers: [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Ever get the following line from sellers:

Obiwanjacoby
06-12-2004, 10:22 AM
QUOTE:
"I had a death in the family and I haven't had time to ship your item. . .etc."

Y'know, that statement is just so unfair in so many ways.

And by now, I've heard it alot (A-LOT). The first two or three times I was prone to believe it. . .but now? I dunno.

Seems awfully convenient. Because you not only corner your buyer with a guilt-trip into not hassling you further, but you're not obligated to "smooth it over" either(partial refund, shipping refund, freebie, etc.). I never even met the seller! Suddenly they're throwing their personal family crisis at me???

I know, I know. . .it's sounds real cold of me right? But that's the genius of getting played like this. The bonus there is that it freezes you up to react one way or the other. Because if someone really DID die, then I'm automatically a real turd for not sympathizing w/their loss :mad:

-PJ

Darko
06-12-2004, 10:27 AM
I haven't gotten it, but I've heard of it used a LOT, to the point where if all of them were true then there's probably a connection between driving to the post office to deliver toys and having a death in the family.

I've had people go the "THEY'RE JUST STUPID TOYS!" route, though. Just because I bought a toy from you means that you shouldn't have to deliver it because you think they're silly? It's not just 'stupid toys', it's my money.

But yeah, there's no real good way to respond to that. I'd think what's best is telling them that you understand and will give them another week to get your package sent in. That way you're not being a cold ******* but you are protecting yourself.

Blayloxzuess
06-12-2004, 10:44 AM
I don't know how much I always believe it either. I hear it now & then, or even worse, sometimes you can't get any reply. I don't care, if I had a death in the family, I would still ship out peoples Joes within a day or two like usual.

And I have

[ June 12, 2004: Message edited by: Blayloxzuess ]

BURGH
06-12-2004, 02:10 PM
I actually hear it more from buyers than sellers. The more I sell, the more likely there is to be increase in untimely deaths. My favorite is the guys that bid with 1 second remaing then wait 3 weeks to pay via PayPal, claiming a death in the family. So sorry your loved one passed while the final second of my auction expired, please, tell me another.

My next group of auctions will be getting this line: eBay users will severly ill relatives, relatives that live in dangerouos neighborhoods, relatives that are poor drivers, or relatives with dangerous occupations must contact me before bidding.

[ June 12, 2004: Message edited by: BURGH ]

Fenway
06-12-2004, 10:30 PM
its a wonder there are any members of any family left...that excuse is used when people don't show up for work, when people dont' return phone calls, ebay...etc etc....

so no, i am not surprised, nor do i believe it

ImaWalkingCorpse
06-13-2004, 05:30 AM
I dont get that one much.. but I do get "in a car wreck" quite a bit.

Alkie Ewok
06-13-2004, 09:11 AM
I keep waiting to hear a story along the lines of "My friend Willy Darius was supposed to send it out this morning" yadda yadda smile.gif

Fireflyanon
06-13-2004, 09:38 AM
I have heard it alot but even with a death to deal with the claim that they can't ship for another 2 or 3 weeks is pretty ridiculous. We have all had deaths in the family and while it is certainly difficult the fact everyone is supposed to just accept life as standing still isn't fair.

I think the fact it happens so often is indeed a convenient excuse but even if true it doesn't justify putting someone off for an extended period. Life is full of all sorts of crises we have to deal with, a post office run doesn't take that long tha tit should take more than a week under any circumstances save being hurt themself and unable to move.

Hit & Run
06-17-2004, 05:22 PM
i have some one tell me they where in bad wreck once. they where able to get all of the orders done and set out on time

had death in the faimly and still finshed several deals at the same time.

everyone will under stand but you can not blow them off

ImaWalkingCorpse
06-18-2004, 01:36 AM
And of course since I posted.. I got the "death in Alabama of an Aunt" from a guy in Michigan.. or from his brother. But why would his brother not be at the funeral, and I also noticed that there had been an auction won and paid for. In the last email when I told them I was goin to take it to paypal, the brother was VERY short with me. I asked for a refund and was told his brother would issue it to me on Monday. If I dont have one by Tuesday.. expect to see a name in the bad traders section.