Missing packages question [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Missing packages question

dockingbay97
05-24-2004, 10:36 AM
I recently have had two packages go missing.

One was mailed May 6 and the other May 10. Both were going to CA but different areas and were mailed Priority mail. Neither buyer asked for insurance or confirmation.

They should be there by now.

One buyers wants his money back. I have sent him a copy of the receipt showing that I mailed him a package to his zip code when I said I did. And I have to take his word for it that he doesn't have it.

Besides requiring delivery confirmation - which I won't do because shipping is already high enough and don't want to force more costs onto the buyer, what should I do?

I offered him 1/2 refund. Taking his word that he didn't receive it, based on my honest eBay feedback with nothing but praises about my shipping, and my receipt showing the package, I thought it would be fairest to share the loss.

Is this out of line?

GungHo
05-24-2004, 11:22 AM
Nick, When I'm selling anything on E-bay anymore I ALWAYS have delivery confirmation tacked onto the shipping costs. It's simply cheaper for me to have proof of what's going on with the package than to take a risk and halve to either offer a refund or replacement item later.

Shipping is high.....but hey, that's up to the buyer to decide if they want to bid or not.

Since I've started selling on E-bay again I've definately had to get tougher with my rules......NO PayPal from anyone outside of the USA period...... non-US addresses cannot be confirmed with PayPal....so there's no protection against chargebacks......so I'm only accepting International money orders from non-US residents.

I'm sick of people bidding that can't read my auction rules before bidding........ :mad:

Ann G
05-24-2004, 11:33 AM
I had this happen before as a buyer. Someone sent me a package and it got lost in the mail.

He gave the option of insurance and tracking or the cheap way in his auction description. I chose the cheap way and it did get lost.

Even though he didn't have to, he did split the costs of the purchase with me. He could have just said I was full of it and because I paid for cheap mail that is what I got.

So from a buyer's point of view that is half is more than fair since you had your reciept. I know that when I pay the bare minimum for shipping that I as a buyer have minimal or no recourse and it is a risk I take. That is the same risk your buyer took.

My Generation Toys
05-24-2004, 11:39 AM
Nick,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. That sucks. Yeah Delivery Confirmation costs more, but it's only $.45 in most cases except for international delivery confirmation.

It's just worth the extra cents for you to prove that it was sent and delivered. It also gives the buyer some assurance that the package was sent.

KtownJoes
05-24-2004, 12:27 PM
It is on him, Nick. You cannot hold everyone's hand for them just because they were too cheap to spend .45 to add tracking to a Priority package.

I print off the labels from the USPS site. you get free tracking that way as long as it goes USPS Priority which I always use anyways.

Patrick A. Riley
05-24-2004, 12:45 PM
Yeah. I'm thinking of going that way. At least asking for and offering Delivery Confirmation

All because of a weird situation I just had.
I bought some comics and they were said to have been shipped Parcel Post on April 29th. Nothing showed up for 3 weeks. I filed a for a refund with PayPal and the next day they arrived. However, they were shipped First Class on May 18th with a return address that is 30 miles away from the sender! He doesn't know what happened :eek:

thebigzakbowski
05-24-2004, 04:30 PM
I learned that lesson the hard way too. If you are shipping for .45 cents more its very worth it.

Fireflyanon
05-24-2004, 04:57 PM
When I was a new seller I split the difference several times on packages that supposedly got lost but then I got tired of that because people were too cheap to pay for insurance or tracking. WHile I have received my neighbor's mail on several occasions I returned it and assume that most people would. I doubt the missing packages are as prevalent as claimed.

I offer insurance and tracking and if people don't buy it then it is on them. Paypal requires confirmation delivery to protect yourself so it is always required if someone pays me with paypal.

Legally, the risk of loss in on the buyer so it is up to them to insure the package. If they don't want to then not your problem. As long as you cna prove you shipped it then that is good enough protection. Delivery confirmation is a good headache saver though in any case.

Xerofall
05-25-2004, 12:53 AM
Trust me, get Del Confirmation, it's only like $.45-55 cents per package and would save you the headache.

You are not out of line if you produced proof you sent it. Once you do it's out of your hands. So it's not your fault.

If this happens more often you might have to add it to your shipping quotes. I know it sucks, but I know all about lost stuff with the post office. ;)

BURGH
05-25-2004, 08:47 AM
I started putting Delivery Confirmation on everything I send out. Suprise, suprise, not 1 package has gone missing yet. $0.45 now saves a bunch of headaches and more money later. I still leave the insurance option up to the buyer but everything gets a confirmation tag.

Spillspleen
05-25-2004, 10:18 AM
If you believe him then pay him a %100 refund...thatís the right thing to do....your customer paid in all honesty so he should get his package or a refund.

The line "not responsible after it leaves my hands" is not fair...and the buyer can just as easily say "not responsible until it reaches my hands".

You know the right thing to do...there is to many bad things happening in this world...make this one a good one!!!

dockingbay97
05-25-2004, 10:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spillspleen:
If you believe him then pay him a %100 refund...thatís the right thing to do....your customer paid in all honesty so he should get his package or a refund.

The line "not responsible after it leaves my hands" is not fair...and the buyer can just as easily say "not responsible until it reaches my hands".

You know the right thing to do...there is to many bad things happening in this world...make this one a good one!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It is easy for you to judge from afar. Do I 100% believe he didn't get it? No. How can I? I wasn't there.

Plus as I have said before, come to me in a civilized manner and I will bend over backwards for you. I recently sold a Joe and the buyer said it came in much worse shape than I said it was in. It was Recondo and he said a good portion of the hat was broken off. I think I surely would have seen this damage but instead of screwing around, I refunded him within a couple of minutes of receiving the email. The missing package bidder started off with attitude and it just got worse. He knew I has sent it but didn't care. I was in the middle of trying to find it when he continued with the attitude. When I get attitude, my willinginess to work with a buyer reduces greatly and quickly.

UPDATE TIME: The other "missing" package is no longer is missing. It was delivered but a note was left saying they needed to pick up the package at the post office. They just now found the note.

And I wouldn't be suprised if the same thing happens with the other package. I expect to get it returned in the mail because it sat too long at the post office without being picked up. And as he told me he is too busy to go screwing around checking the post office, my sympathies towards him are not high. If he isn't even willing to go see if it is at the post office, it makes me not want to go above and beyond for him.

He did accept the 1/2 refund though and it was given. Case is closed basically unless it shows up returned.

red25thta
05-25-2004, 01:01 PM
All my auctions have always had Conf on them. I tell them it's just part of the deal. So far all my packages have always gotten there. But I have been screwed out of some stuff I should have gotten. All was at the same time and all was right before I lost my job. Other than one guy who was sopposed to insure my package and I never heard back from him. He said the P.O. was sopposed to mail me a check. Never got it. But a lot of ahrd times then and I was not able to follow up like I wished I could have.

also I have always let the seller know I will pay for Conf. Just so much better that way.