View Full Version : Opinion on a change to the "for sale" catagory

KtownJoes
05-27-2004, 12:41 PM
Is it just me?

How many times does this happen.

A post is made - SUCH & SUCH FOR SALE

No price listed.

You email them & ask the price.

They respond with I dunno make an offer.

I let countless deals go if they cant even decide how much they want for something. I have never gone into Wal-Mart & been asked to make an offer. I know there are some cases where they might not know how much to charge, but 90% of us know an approx price on most things.

I wonder how well it would go over if it was required to add a price for something in the "for sale" section. Of course trade section wouldnt need this. Anyone else find that whole process irritating? Sometimes it makes me loooooney.

thebigzakbowski
05-27-2004, 12:51 PM
nah, making offers is fun you make an offer and if they don't like it you can up it or pass no hard feelings and it is one of the best ways for both the seller and buyer to feel like they got a fair deal IMO

Druss
05-27-2004, 12:56 PM
This has always been one of my pet peeves, I was even going to start a thread on this...

What gets me, someone posts a list of stuff for sale, I don't mind if they say please make a offer. Like said above thats part of the dealing process, some people really don't know the values on things, others simply don't want to let something go too cheaply.

Anywho, someone will post a list, say make a offer, email me with offer, etc....

People will respond with various comments, including "How much do you want", "I'm interested, please email me at x@xx.com", etc..

This has always irked me, it should be common ettiquite, if your going to reply to someone's sale/trade/etc post DO NOT reply asking them to contact you. If you are interested send them a email/PM. Take the 25 seconds required to for those few extra keystrokes and do it rather than asking for them to contact you.

When people do that to me I ignore them, if they are actually interested they will contact me.

The other.....well if the guy is looking for offers either make one or don't bother, that goes along the lines of not reading the thread. They ask for offers, they want to sell as a collection, you know someone will reply asking how much for a certain figure rather than the whole thing. Its annoying as a seller/trader for that to happen.

KtownJoes
05-27-2004, 01:04 PM
Ya, I can understand exceptions in the Offtopic, due to some Joe Collectors not knowing about other lines. I can also understand when someone is fishing an entire collection, but everyone know Cobra Viper are $15-20 all day. If they want $30 for theirs, why not just say so? Nobody is going to PM them & offer $30.

I dunno. I quit dealing so much due to all the headaches it causes bickering trying to get a darned answer out of someone selling something.

That is why i buy more from sites & Ebay. the prices are set in stone.

Darko
05-27-2004, 01:05 PM
I don't get why "make an offer" bugs people...when I do it, all I'm asking is what it is worth to them. If I don't like it, then I'll counter offer. A lot of the things I sell are vehicle parts or such that I don't really know how much to charge for, so I just ask how much it is worth to someone.

What bugs me are people who don't read posts. I put in every single one of my posts for people to please PM me...I don't always check the posts later. And yet people still post in the thread with no PM, and I've even had people get angry at me for not responding to their posts.

Deogg
05-27-2004, 01:12 PM
The other thing that gets under my skin is when one person puts several (4 or 5 or even more) for sale posts in all at once. I mean, come on. Unless you have a stock that is THAT big, do you REALLY need THAT many posts to fit it all? Of course not.

And do list prices. It doesn't HAVE to be a firm set-in-stone price, but it does at least give a buyer who goes through your stuff a ballpark figure.

Patrick A. Riley
05-27-2004, 01:19 PM
This goes both ways.

- No price listed, make an offer, if they don't know what it's worth, you can get a great deal

- Price is listed, but some putz asks you to sell it for less

Druss
05-27-2004, 02:15 PM
On some occasions, like recently when I was thinking about selling a huge collection I really didn't know what to ask so I posted a full list and asked for offers. Pretty much all I got was "how much do you want for it". Not that it bothers me but sometimes a seller really doesn't know what to ask and doesn't wanna get reamed. I didn't wanna post a ridiculous price or post too low and get reamed in the process.

Deogg
05-27-2004, 02:46 PM
Another good one is when you have specifically mentioned "unless otherwise specified, all figures are the original version" in nice big letters, and it never fails, someone asks "oh, I'm interested in "so-and-so" (if it's the original version)".

Read the ENTIRE post. It's not that hard.

BK
05-28-2004, 10:04 AM
I enjoy the bantering. If I was forced to list a price in the For Sale section, I wouldn't use it anymore.