The 4 year drought... [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : The 4 year drought...

kgoodyboy
05-27-2004, 01:33 PM
I think we've hit a drought in gi joes at yard sales, flea markets etc. I've been to 4 flea markets and went yard sailing 3 weekends so far. Nothing. I usually have an armful of new ones by now.

So Im thinking that maybe we've hit a drought in the joe market. For the next 4 years or more we wont be seeing joes at yard sales. And when we begin to see them again they will be new sculpts.

4 years joe line was out of business= 4 year drought

So what do you guys think?

dockingbay97
05-27-2004, 01:40 PM
The majority of the golden era of 3 3/4 is now gone from garage sales and flea markets. You will still find them from time to time as parents come across forgotten boxes of toys but this will be much more rare.

Sure I found a Darth Vader case full of mint Star Wars figures recently but that is a very rare instance.

Most people who don't want them anymore have dumped them by now.

Once today's kids get old enough, you'll start seeing the new Joes more and more at these sales.

But since I almost never see anyone under 18 buying 3 3/4 at retail, I am not for sure what will happen.

When I was under 18, I knew lots of kids who liked 3 3/4 Joes. I just don't see that same interest today and that may affect future supply.

[ May 27, 2004: Message edited by: dockingbay97 ]

red25thta
05-27-2004, 01:53 PM
Best time is when kid's are getting ready to leave the house to goto college.

Rapid Fire
05-27-2004, 01:58 PM
i just started hitting tard sale around here with no luck finding anything! and i never see advertisements for flea markets at all! kinda sad! back home we had LOTS of both!

Blayloxzuess
05-27-2004, 02:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> But since I almost never see anyone under 18 buying 3 3/4 at retail, I am not for sure what will happen.

When I was under 18, I knew lots of kids who liked 3 3/4 Joes. I just don't see that same interest today and that may affect future supply.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I feel the same. Seems like most of the dads that take the kids to the toy store usually buy them the 12" dolls.

kgoodyboy
05-27-2004, 03:19 PM
I always see joes going like lightning to kids around me. But what you said is exactly what i was getting at, we've hit the time when no more joes are left to be thrown into the secondhand market, thus we wont be able to get them at yard sales until the kids that have them now grow up.

danyanda
05-27-2004, 03:51 PM
It's also a lot easier to sell your collection to collectors on ebay. It's a user friendly sellers market to throw your junk on, and many people use it in lieu of yard sales like they once did. Not that it completely wipes out yard sales as a source, it doesn't, but it takes a chunk out, especially among the younger crowd.

Kir Kanos
05-27-2004, 04:18 PM
hmm, I have been considering making some garage sale runs, but this makes me think twice, if the finds are drying up. I just get so tired of ebay

Gemini Matrix
05-27-2004, 04:33 PM
I used to score sweet deals at flea markets for joes. I'd say in the last 2 or 3 years tho. It's just been nothing or junk.

thebigzakbowski
05-27-2004, 04:40 PM
or on the rare time you find something they want 20 for broken figs with no gear

Gemini Matrix
05-27-2004, 04:45 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thebigzakbowski:
or on the rare time you find something they want 20 for broken figs with no gear<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True. I had a flea market seller want $100 for a incomplete and worn Cobra Soldier. I just laughed until I left the store. The whole time he was lowering his price.

My Generation Toys
05-27-2004, 04:50 PM
I know what you guys mean. Flea Markets are slim pickings here too.

I was at a flea market last month. There was an older couple there selling joes and star wars stuff out of their van.

Everything was crap, but I was looking for customizing stuff and I saw a box of crappy joes and asked how much it was... she said it was $750.00.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I said, "I'm sorry, I'm not interested in your van, just the box of joes" She just gave me a dirty look.

[ May 27, 2004: Message edited by: softassylum ]

My Generation Toys
05-27-2004, 04:51 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gemini Matrix:

True. I had a flea market seller want $100 for a incomplete and worn Cobra Soldier. I just laughed until I left the store. The whole time he was lowering his price.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love it when they "haggle"

red25thta
05-27-2004, 07:03 PM
Tell them that you would feel bad by them giving your $100 to take that figure off their hands. $10 is more than enough.

Gemini Matrix
05-28-2004, 02:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by softassylum:
I said, "I'm sorry, I'm not interested in your van, just the box of joes" She just gave me a dirty look.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROTLMAO! Oh that was a good one, Sig.

Gemini Matrix
05-28-2004, 02:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by red25thta:
Tell them that you would feel bad by them giving your $100 to take that figure off their hands. $10 is more than enough.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The funny thing was. The seller I laughed at. Dropped from $100 to $10 all in a few minutes but I was already disgusted with the first price. I didn't even care anymore for the figure.