It really is time for a new Skystriker repaint. [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : It really is time for a new Skystriker repaint.

Agent Orange
05-20-2004, 09:03 AM
I think the time is coming for a new Skystriker repaint. Since Hasbro's agreement with Funskool allows them to retrieve the molds from India, I think it would be awesome to re-release the Skystriker as a TRU exclusive, perhaps after VvV runs its course and after the Thunderwing ends production (no need for Hasbro to compete against itself with two air-superiority fighters).

I think it would look particularly awesome in an NSAWC (modern-day Top Gun) paint scheme:

http://www.tomcat521.com/tomcat/story/NSAWC/f14ansai.jpg

[ May 20, 2004: Message edited by: Agent Orange ]

dockingbay97
05-20-2004, 09:25 AM
It would seem to me that a repaint of this would be an easy sell as a TRU exclusive.

thebigzakbowski
05-20-2004, 09:32 AM
i'd love to see it come back

Agent Orange
05-20-2004, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the support. I sure as heck would buy one. At a $24.99 to $29.99 price point, it would be a no-brainer.

Agent Orange
05-20-2004, 09:53 AM
It would also be a great opportunity for folks today to get a complete SkyStriker. I (like almost everyone) had one as a kid, but it really didn't stand up to play very well. A good, complete one is very hard to find for a reasonable price (even a Funskool one).

And a new (but realistic) paint scheme would ensure that originals would hold their price well.

crimsonhawk
05-20-2004, 09:57 AM
I'd pick one up.

Duke1
05-20-2004, 01:06 PM
I would buy one if it had the original paint scheme and decals. I like the rattler at TRU, but didn't like the color scheme or decals. I didn't buy one because of the color and decals, plus, I didn't like that electric noise junk. I'm all for a good quality, skystriker remake though. Just as long as it isn't gold or orange. :D

firemanrh
05-20-2004, 01:26 PM
i like to see one made up like the old sky potrol

FireFox91
05-20-2004, 03:32 PM
I'd go for one in just about any paint job. I really want a new one bad!

Kir Kanos
05-20-2004, 06:47 PM
great idea, hopefully it won't go the way of the '02 Rattler...

gun metal
05-20-2004, 07:17 PM
here, here. No lights or sound, and No "weapons really shoot"

If done right I'd buy the thing regardless what figure it came with as long as long as the fig is painted with more than three colors. I can't stress that enough folks.

Agent Orange
05-20-2004, 07:53 PM
"great idea, hopefully it won't go the way of the '02 Rattler..."

If it does, you can always repaint it yourself. I did. smile.gif
http://www.geocities.com/clintriddle/rat1.html

james strickland
05-20-2004, 08:04 PM
that would be great to see the best classic jet of all time. hopefully it has the same paint scheme as the conquest did last year.

Agent Orange
05-20-2004, 08:36 PM
Or this scheme (which I believe the 2003 Conquest mimics somewhat):
http://www.tomcat521.com/tomcat/story/NSAWC/f14ansaj.jpg

[ May 21, 2004: Message edited by: Agent Orange ]

Godzilla
05-21-2004, 08:13 AM
I like the scheme for that. Would be nice to see the Skystriker in that scheme.

Agent Orange
05-21-2004, 01:10 PM
I wonder if Hasbro even bothers reading posts like these. They should. It's just good business sense.

Almost 100% of the folks posting on this thread have said they would be interested in buying this thing, should it be released with a good paint scheme.

Alkie Ewok
05-22-2004, 01:41 AM
I hope they don't rush it and include some electronic crap that would ruin the design of the plane, or bad paint jobs.

Lt. Royal
05-23-2004, 07:28 PM
As with all good ideas, they generally escape hasblo. please dont give them an idea that would be a cause for monae making because they would scrap it. Can you imagine the java drinking, never served in the military dorks they have making these toys. An exec with a nasaly voice says, "Gee Bob we need a little more color in this jungle fighter, a neon knife and a purple bandana will do the trick and lets call it eco squad!"

Making a realistic military fighter that would sell hugely...naaahh not in my world.

I am convinced Hasbro came from bizarro worls where all their ideas sold like hotcakes in their alternate dimension. :D

Deogg
05-23-2004, 07:41 PM
No sound attack, no firing weapons, and PLEASE no Sky Patrol chrome....at least not yet.

Agent Orange
05-24-2004, 09:21 PM
So Hasbro, are you listening?

The Faceless Master
05-24-2004, 09:42 PM
Isnt the Soon-to-be-released Thunderwing with Slipstream sort of a mini-Sky Striker? Or maybe even as big?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2467&item=3194180974&rd=1

thats good enough for me!!

Agent Orange
05-24-2004, 09:54 PM
I believe the Thunderwing (aka F-22 Raptor)is about the same size as the Skystriker (aka F-14 Tomcat), and it actually looks to be a pretty cool plane, aside from the ridiculously small wings.

However, I still believe most folks would love to see a re-release Skystriker, perhaps as a TRU exclusive, and definitely sporting a cool new paint scheme (as we have seen, there are certainly a lot of cool F-14 paint schemes out there).

The Skystriker was just one of those great toys from our childhood. Awesome size, awesome features, awesome weapons, classic figure. Probably as close to perfect as a Joe vehicle could be.

And there's no doubt that kids today would love it too.

[ May 24, 2004: Message edited by: Agent Orange ]

Agent Orange
05-28-2004, 07:47 AM
On a somewhat realated not, has anyone else noticed this? The 1983 GI Joe catalog showed a (prototype?) Skystriker made from a completly different mold - one that appears to even more closely mimic the shape of an F-14. Notice the longer, more slender nose, the four strakes between the wings, the lower position of the gun on the port fuselage, and the fact that the lever that actuates the wings is much further aft.

Does anyone think that this mold might still exist? Did hasbro generally keep or destroy prototype molds?

http://www.yojoe.com/catalogs/83/11.jpg

publicenemy
05-28-2004, 08:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Agent Orange:
I wonder if Hasbro even bothers reading posts like these. They should. It's just good business sense.

Almost 100% of the folks posting on this thread have said they would be interested in buying this thing, should it be released with a good paint scheme.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i wonder if hasbro wants to make money? VvV and all the new molds tells me they don't.

Lt. Royal
05-28-2004, 02:49 PM
Hasbro does not really care about collectors, they are not selling to us. They hate us. They view us like the comic book guy from the Simpsons and most collectors are like that!!! Not me, I buy what I like and thank my stars when they bother to hit upon a great idea like the infantry 6 pack. But many Joe collectors I have noticed are a finicky, obssessed lot that is not really happy....and if the original line was re-released in its entirety there would be grumblings about the size of the pistol on so in so's leg!! smile.gif smile.gif smile.gif

I think more than a few people on this site would qualify as obssessive compulsive disorders....in fact this is a haven for them. Hasbro more than likely can tell this from reading the posts!

Agent Orange
05-28-2004, 11:06 PM
I think the Skystriker's appeal extents beyond just the collectors. After all it was a great TOY. Its original prodution run lasted much longer than that of most other Joe vehicles, meaning that folks must have been buying them in large numbers. I think it appealled not just to GI Joe fans, but to all kinds of kids.

Hopefully today's kids will get to experience it just as we did.