What????? cobra commander PROTOTYPE #3 1982? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : What????? cobra commander PROTOTYPE #3 1982?

red25thta
05-20-2004, 08:39 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=2467&item=3194564110&rd=1

Is this for real or what?

[ May 20, 2004: Message edited by: Jeff Bohn ]

Shipwrecked85
05-20-2004, 09:37 PM
looks like that strap in back is just painted on w/ silver model paint? i dunno...hmmm...

notpicard
05-20-2004, 10:23 PM
I think it is safe to say that this was not how CC was ever designed. The early designs that would predate the actual figure depicted CC with a stripe down the middle of his helmet, just as in the cartoon (except that the stripe would have matched the color of the stripe down his leg).

This CC also has a factory-applied logo. While it is an early logo, the one seen here (http://www.yojoe.com/archive/preprod/82/cobracommander.shtml) in the preproduction and unproduced archive depicts the figure with a hand-painted logo and no stripe on the head of either kind. So I doubt that this would have been intended to be on the figure at any point.

However, I am kind of curious as to why a # appears on the head. It is possible that the marking is some sort of approval code from Hasbro. I have seen other new protos that have markings where changes in the mold need to be slightly made (or maybe where a particular part of the mold is being referenced). It could be something similar to that if it isn't just a strange custom job that it really appears to be.

Deogg
05-20-2004, 10:36 PM
Look at the seller. A known shady seller/shill bidder.

http://www.toy-ads.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=000710

The mickey'd CC in itself is real. The silver paint could very easily be a fake. I'd steer VERY clear of any of this guy's auctions.

red25thta
05-21-2004, 07:39 AM
Hey guys I got a Micky CC with the symbol being 100% mint. I am going to put a number 4 on it and find the old comic's and match it up. It does come with some paint ware on the Face/mask and the right thumb is broken. More than willing to sell this for $200 (G)!!!!

tommysalo
05-21-2004, 02:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Hey guys I got a Micky CC with the symbol being 100% mint. I am going to put a number 4 on it and find the old comic's and match it up. It does come with some paint ware on the Face/mask and the right thumb is broken. More than willing to sell this for $200 (G)!!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I were you I would put it on Ebay with a BIN of 1200$ on it, you're sure to get a buyer for that baby! ;)

red25thta
05-21-2004, 07:33 PM
Actually I am going to wait and see the final price on this one. So everyone on the board knows I will post a message before the auction. I will put on there it was just me having too much time on my hands and needing the money (G)!

Deogg
05-21-2004, 07:33 PM
It should be illegal just in what this guy did to a mickey CC! lol

thunt4
05-21-2004, 09:15 PM
Its kind of surprising because if he bought it from a well known source usually the preproduction samples would have a tag to go along with it of some sort.

Deogg
05-24-2004, 04:15 PM
All the more reason to steer VERY clear of this one. Too bad the people bidding on it don't know what we do.

thebigzakbowski
05-24-2004, 10:33 PM
i think its bogus

thunt4
05-25-2004, 08:02 AM
i said about the tags from the factory but i guess another thing to consider is since its an 82 fig maybe they didn't do that back then either. I guess I went by the knowledge of the boards and no one else has ever heard of anything near this but you never know whats out there

gunless
05-25-2004, 08:04 AM
he ended it early for some reason.

dockingbay97
05-25-2004, 08:10 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gunless:
he ended it early for some reason.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He probably took an offer for it outside eBay.

Crimson Immortal
05-25-2004, 12:05 PM
I agree ,it looks like a phony.

Xerofall
05-25-2004, 12:20 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> if your completely interested in this figure and want to buy it or get more information.......e-mail me and we can talk over the phone about this piece..... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So he's openly talking about selling this figure outside of ebay. That's against Ebay's rules.

red25thta
05-25-2004, 12:25 PM
I think he just wants people to hear him say who he got it from and blah blah blah. Unless I got word from Hasbro themselves I would not buy it. Maybe for a few bucks or so. I think he thinks he has something really valuable. Maybe he got ripped off himself? Not sure.

tommysalo
05-26-2004, 05:36 PM
Probably lost his nerve and couldn't go ahead with the auction. If someone payed over 1000$ for it and them found out it was fake, he would have been in for trouble.

Deogg
05-26-2004, 08:33 PM
When someone starts their description as "First of all im not here to rip anyone off!!! " they're almost definitely TRYING to rip someone off.

joeboy75
05-26-2004, 10:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Deogg:
When someone starts their description as "First of all im not here to rip anyone off!!! " they're almost definitely TRYING to rip someone off.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HEARD!!!

thunt4
05-28-2004, 05:23 AM
I guess the tags i was referring to was the moc tags. I just assumed the same process would be for loose figures as well. They used to tag moc items from hasbro that I have seen up for auction many times

Tattoo Shane
05-28-2004, 07:16 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thunt4:
I guess the tags i was referring to was the moc tags. I just assumed the same process would be for loose figures as well. They used to tag moc items from hasbro that I have seen up for auction many times<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, i thought that might be what you were referring to...those are the Quality Control Sample tags i mentioned above. I have a QC mail away Serpentor proto and i've seen quite a few of the carded pieces you've mentioned as well. They definately wouldn't be found on loose pieces tho. smile.gif

Tattoo Shane
05-28-2004, 12:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by notpicard:

However, I am kind of curious as to why a # appears on the head. It is possible that the marking is some sort of approval code from Hasbro. I have seen other new protos that have markings where changes in the mold need to be slightly made (or maybe where a particular part of the mold is being referenced). It could be something similar to that if it isn't just a strange custom job that it really appears to be.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Numbered Engineering Pilots have been turned up a few times by vintage Star Wars prototypes collectors. The number usually references the order in which the figures came off the assembly line as these are thought to be the first full production versions to have been made...technically, they could be seen as the very last possible prototypes but that's kind of a stretch as they're simply the first production pieces.

That being said, i really doubt the legitimacy of this piece and i'm pretty sure it's bogus.

Lastly, i'm not sure who it was that mentioned prototypes coming with some sort of tag but i can assure you that unless you're buying a quality control sample (idicated by the QC Sample Tag) that vintage prototypes DO NOT come with any tags to indicate that that's what they are. A well-known dealer may offer a certificate of authenticity but by no means should these be confused with tags that were never issued in the first place. smile.gif

[ May 28, 2004: Message edited by: Tattoo Shane ]