Who do you believe is the very best new-sculpt figure? [Archive] - YoJoe.com Forums

View Full Version : Who do you believe is the very best new-sculpt figure?

Agent Orange
05-24-2004, 09:20 PM
I know a couple of you think the new-mold figures are nothing but crap (and most of them are). However, there have been a few real gems amongst them. Which Joe and Cobra figures do you believe are the absolute best?

Here are my picks:

GI Joe-

Cross Hair

I believe that Cross Hair is not only the best new-sculpt figure, but one of the best Joes EVER. He's cool and believable even if he's not 100% realistic. Cross Hair is easily the best Joe sniper figure, clearly surpassing weak efforts like Wide Scope and even the classic Low-Light. His figure is loaded with detail and the proportions are OK, even for a new-sculpt. The head sculpt is perfect. He's clean cut to the point where he looks a little cold and frightening - perfect for someone like a sniper who is expected to take life in cold blood (and his excellent filecard backs up this inherent creepiness). But what really seals the deal are the accesories. The boonie hat is the best Hasbro has ever produced. The webbing vest is great and the ghillie suit is an absolute neccesity for a battlefield sniper. The rifle is a pretty detailed sculpt of a real-life weapon (in this case a British-made L96), thought it does look a tad small in relationship to the figure. All in all, though, Cross Hair is an A+ effort.

Cobra-

Sand Viper

What can I say? Sand Viper is a simply awesome Cobra trooper. If Cobra were a real organization with real elite soldiers, I would expect them to look somewhat like Sand Viper. His colors are perfect and his molded on body armor is menacing without coming off as flamboyant. Again, the accessories really make the figure. The flak jacket is really too bulky to use, but the helmet with night-vision goggles is, like Cross Hair's boonie hat, one of the best 3 3/4" headpeices ever. The G36 assault rifle is perfect. PERFECT. And I even like the Komodo Dragon. Though I'm pretty sure they don't live in the desert and they would probably be impossible to train, the lizard harks back to those character/animal combos that my brother and I had as kids (Law & Order, Spearhead & Max, Junkyard & Mutt, Spirit & Freedom, Croc Master & his croc). If only all Cobra troopers could be this cool.

So who are your favorite new-sculpt Joe and Cobra figures?

The Faceless Master
05-24-2004, 09:35 PM
There are only 2 new sculpts that I truly appreciate...

1> Coils v.2
2> Wild Weasel from the Night Adder

thorn
05-24-2004, 09:40 PM
there ar ea few i like.
believe it or not duke- the night force version in particular.
roadblock isnt bad at all.
i guess widescope is my favorite.

for cobra-
well so many-
pit viper
heavy water
neo vipers
the black suit cobra comdr
and the infantry TRoops!

Ann G
05-24-2004, 09:41 PM
totally agree with you on crosshair...realistic, and not completely out of wack with the proportions. Cool accessories.

best cobra..televiper. Awesome update of the original.

gunslingercbr
05-24-2004, 09:41 PM
I have to say, both of your picks are my picks, so to add a little something to this I'll pick my second favorites:

Joe: Flint. I know I am in the minority here, but the JvC Flint is a great figure. are his proportions off? sure, but they work for him. there is something cartoonish yet heroic about this figure that makes him what he is supposed to be: an ACTION figure. while a lot of Joe figures tend to be bland, this guy ain't. rock on in your moon boots, Flint.

Cobra: Dreadnok Ripper. sure, he looks more like Dreadnock Torch, but regardless of who you use him as, the sculpt is great. he is big, mean, and ragged...exactly what a Dreadnok should be and Burn Out ain't. the second version is the better paint scheme.

gunslingercbr
05-24-2004, 09:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thorn:
[QB]there ar ea few i like.
believe it or not duke- the night force version in particular.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was close to picking this one. I really dig the NF Duke.

Rasputin
05-24-2004, 09:52 PM
Joes
NF Duke, and NF Recondo

Snake eyes v14 (the one with swivel ankles)

Scarlett the JvC one

Cobra
ZARANA!!!!! awesome fig
Dr. M (although the skirt detracts from him a bit cause he cant do some moving)

thebigzakbowski
05-24-2004, 10:00 PM
joe kamakura v1 i dig this guy and i hate new scuplts
cobra tele viper

Biohazard
05-24-2004, 10:10 PM
Joes
Shockwave V1, Duke (92 version one, just cause of the flak vest)

Cobras
Night Viper, Inferno BATS, The Baroness, and the new Destro from the V v V line

Agent Orange
05-24-2004, 11:07 PM
Biohazard, I guessed you missed the "new-sculpt" stipulation. smile.gif

That's OK. Those are all great figures, too.

Deogg
05-25-2004, 05:27 AM
Joe:
The upcoming Slipstream (depending on his paint scheme)

Cobra:
(6-way tie) The Cobra Infantry figs

And Agent Orange, you're absolutely right. The overwhelming majority of them are crap.

[ May 26, 2004: Message edited by: Deogg ]

code red shockwave
05-25-2004, 05:30 AM
The best design for a GIJOE goes to Cross Hair and Wide Scope. I know Cross Hair has pretty small hands, but besides that his proportions are so perfect they compensate for that minor flaw. As for Wide Scope, he looked realistically like a real SWAT guy. Sure he had long legs, small crotch, and small hands too, but those flaws are actually tolerable.

The best design for a COBRA would either be COBRA Commander(Wave 8) and COBRA Coils. COBRA Commander looks very close to the original version and has a lot of excellent detailing. COBRA Coils looks like the perfect "Fast and the Furious" type of bad guy who's strong and probably quick too.

etmartin
05-25-2004, 05:49 AM
Whoooo Hooo...I think I'm in the 1,000 Post club as of this post...but on to business:

G.I. Joe: Leatherneck from the Defense Mech. Very nice update to a classic figure. Love the Helmet.

Cobra: Neo-Viper Commanders. Very nice figs, save the long neck. The Neo-Vipers themselves come in a close second.

Thanks,
etmartin

Gemini Matrix
05-25-2004, 05:54 AM
Man this is a tough one. I'll go with Crosshairs and Wild Weasel as well. I can't really even mention the Trooper 6 packs figures b/c they are mostly old sculpted figures with new heads.

CobraLaLaLarry
05-25-2004, 07:09 AM
Joes:
Crosshair
Kamakura 1
Agent Faces (from the two-pack w/Zartan)

Cobra:
Wild Weasel
VvsV Dr. Mindbender
Swamp Rat (I just can't help it)

mobilejoe
05-25-2004, 07:15 AM
snake eyes- the one that came with hooded cobra commander and duke with spy troops movie. The mold is just awesome in my eyes.

Coils- Great mold and great idea for troops from Hasbro. Glad to see they still have some original ideas.

Cobra Commander- VvV I love this mold when he was released in blue but the black uniform is what made him so great to me.

BATS- Everyone of the new sculpts. EDxactly what the BATS should be in my opinion. And now with VvV we have three different true variations of them.

Recondo76
05-25-2004, 08:02 AM
Talk about a tough choice...
i'm a big fan of pretty much all of the wave one Spy Troops...
i have to agree with the Crosshair choice...although i think the NF version is slightly cooler...
I also really love the single pack versions of Stalker and Snake Eyes...slightly better colors and awesome accessories...
i'd also like to toss out an honorable mention for the black uni Wild Bild and Ace...
as for Cobra...that BATS take it hands down...with Neo-Vipers a close second...with Tele Vipers and VvV Mindbender getting honrable mentions...

I think the best is yet to come in the next wave though...

Kir Kanos
05-25-2004, 09:21 AM
Night Force Crosshair for the joes, and the infantry pk for cobra, has this been said?

:D

Crimson Immortal
05-25-2004, 12:04 PM
I like the design of Crosshair's outfit and colors.But what ruins the figure is his tiny hands and long tall body with a very ugly head.

The Tele-Vipe is cool,but again to big.Hes giant when compared and lined up with the rest of my Cobra's and Joes alike,again same problem with the dorky Iron Grenadier..

I like the Neo-Viper but colors are still wrong and his left hand design is messed up.

I say the best figure is the Cobra Commander with the battle helmet despite some proportion problems.

Alkie Ewok
05-26-2004, 03:37 PM
I think I'll try to say some that haven't been said yet ;) From the new sculpt Joes, I like:

Shipwreck (w/ Piranha)
Gung Ho (W/ Zarana)
Scarlett (Spy Troops repaint; VvV figure isn't too bad...bad, but not too bad and certainly not Two Bad.. :D )

Honorable Mention: Chief Torpedo, Ace, Spir..errr Dart.

From Cobra:

The new Viper sculpt is good. The colors, slightly metrosexual...this should get repainted and reissued with Shipwreck, if Hasbro is having a hard time deciding who to put Shipwreck with in a 2pack.

Heavy Water's sculpt was pretty good, same with pretty much every cobra commander in the line, except the ones without an o-ring.

Redmao
05-26-2004, 03:54 PM
Kamakura V1 (ninja yay!)
Night force Recondo and Duke
Snake Eyes with all the pouches and articulations

thorn
05-26-2004, 08:34 PM
yeah see, i am liking too many of them.
chalk up another tie for second for gung ho.
i like him, he's right here with SE in some plastic bushes.

nice to see some others like NF duke. probably the best out of the 86 recent versions.

Crimson Viper Commander
05-26-2004, 09:17 PM
Sand Viper
Wild Weasel from the Night Adder
Neo Viper w/oring

Those are the only 3 new sculpts I like.

james strickland
05-26-2004, 10:37 PM
I agree with most of you on the crosshairs, kamakura, the coils and cobra comanders. I might be crazy for this but I really liked the shipwreck that came with cobra mountain and I liked switchgears the both stand out awsome figures. I also liked the wide scope figure. these three joe figures to me represents what hasbro has to offer on ther figure sculpts. the cobra figures are the snow serpants the are just awsome looking update to the orginal smow serpant. the other cobra figures are just about egual; except for all the viper of the 86 version, how many of these do we need? I have now problem with the VvV one I think it is pretty neat.

FireChief420
05-27-2004, 01:12 AM
Well, my favorite molds since the JvC restart are as follows:

G.I.Joe
-Both ST and VvV Snake Eyes'!!!
-Stalker!
-Dusty!
-ST Beach Head (the one that came with my R/C vehicle)

Cobra
-My B.A.T! ARMY!!! (V'3.1-3.2-4, OverKIll, B.A.T.Transport)
-Iron Grenadier, snappy armor. I need the urban cammo version and MORE!
-Destro, casual ^-^'
-Cobra Commander- Black hood O-ring, Blue helmet
-Zartan riding Transformers Armada Sideways, although I wish I had some masks *_*

With all of these really cool figs, it's hard to decide. I'll have to nominate Transformers Energon Snowcat for the best new-sculpt figure for it's (finally) cross-over appeal.

Darko
05-27-2004, 11:15 AM
Joe: O-ring Snake Eyes (black version). Great homage to the v2 mold, and one of the most playable figures released yet. My only complaint is the arm problem.

Cobra: Blue battle-helmet Cobra Commander. Absolutely perfect.

gargoyle
05-27-2004, 12:14 PM
Joe:
Cross hair
Recondo i like him for his swivel hands i'd rather his boots moved like NF Duke but that might have looked stupid with his style boots
gung ho but remove the t-crotch (JvC)
cobra:
sand viper
storm shadow (VvV) but again change to the o-ring style and change right shoulder
bats
destro v-10
swamp rat

again i started out not liking any of them but they have grown on me. mainly for customs.

skorponok
05-27-2004, 02:50 PM
BAT 3 and 3.2

Nunchuck

Viper v 2

VvV Scarlett

Black Hooded Cobra Commander

Spy-Troops "loungewear" destro ;)

...just to name a few...I like a lot of the new sculpts.

publicenemy
05-27-2004, 03:15 PM
this could be a tough one, but i'm gonna have to go with o ringless snake eyes. yep, of all the new he's the best. although o ringless heavy duty rates pretty high too.